• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bloomberg: "Nintendo's full-year net income is the highest since 2001" !

Status
Not open for further replies.

ethelred

GitarooMan said:
Why would it cost 700 dollars, I'm not saying they've got to be PS3 piece for piece but a moderately powerful system could be sold for 299 or so, especially in late 2006. And why is it that everyone assumes that Nintendo couldn't be successful with such a system. Everyone is like it will be another GC, but maybe if Nintendo made a good design like Revolution, got some Western developers outside of Retro on board, and got Mario going at launch it wouldn't necessarily bomb. What if the third-party ports were *gasp* better on this theoretical system because it had comparable graphics and Revmote gameplay.

What if the third party ports are still better because the graphics won't look that bad in comparison and the gameplay more than makes up for any difference?

Mama Smurf

My penis is still intact.
What you have to remember in arguments with Amir0x is that he's always right. Always. No one knows how he alone amongst all humans is never wrong, but rumours persist that when God was creating him, he used early blueprints from the Zombie Jesus model.

Obviously it still needs some tweaking, but on the always knowing things better than you front, he's got it just right.

Deku

Banned
imho, this isn't about the DS, or about Brain Training or any short term issue that's hot on GAF. I think a lot of the irrational behavior derives from the fear that Nintendo may actually be right about a lot of things and probably a healthy feeling of condescencion too. Having figured they've grown out of a company's games only to see the company doing very well is always a thorn on most Sony die-hards I have met (both in Japan and US). But it's always amusing to watch their irrational explanations and reactions to the emotions they experience, when they try to spin something good into something bad, as is the attempts of many here.

SantaC

Bluemercury said:
This coming from the guy who left 1up office's to go to work for Microsoft......i hope for your sake that Rev wand doesnt make the xbox 360 pad obsolete, because then you would had to ask MS to come up with something as good, because why would settle for anything less?

QFT.

EOGamer

snatches said:
Yes but by your logic you will not buy a revolution regardless of price or capabilities, so you being part of this discussion is as a troll, period. You say you play games for entertainment, and Nintendo games do not entertain you. So why do you care about Nintendo's corporate direction? STOP POSTING.

And seriously, your response to my indicating Nintendo has had a hand in almost all important industry innovations to this point is this:

Please. Give credit where it is due or your appearance as a troll in this thread is even more convincing.
-If that helps you deal with a dissenting opinion, I won't stop you from saying it. But I think it's pretty sad that you think in a public messageboard only Nintendo fans should post in Nintendo news and discussion threads. You think I'm a troll, super. I don't care.
-I meant what I said. What they did could just have conceivably have been done by someone else. Assuming that if Nintendo hadn't come along we would still be using a Atari pad is a big stretch, imo.

chespace

It's not actually trolling if you don't admit it
Bluemercury said:
This coming from the guy who left 1up office's to go to work for Microsoft......i hope for your sake that Rev wand doesnt make the xbox 360 pad obsolete, because then you would had to ask MS to come up with something as good, because why would settle for anything less?

If the Revmote really is all that, then yes, I would want to use it with every game I play on every system I own. But right now, that's an unknown. As a gamer, I certainly do hope the Revmote will REALLY change the way I play first-person type games (e.g., Oblivion, Halo, etc. since that perspective is my favorite in games). But who fucking knows? Maybe it won't. It's 50/50 right now. I'm just as curious, if not optimistic, as the next guy. But nobody's really considering that the control scheme could also just be a big bust.

There's a reason why every console adopted the analog stick and why the PSP isn't so hot in the 3D game control department. Right now, I'm just going by Nintendo's hardware track record with the millionth iteration of the Game Boy and then the DS (not to mention the GameCube -- built on the shoulders of Pokemon profits, how innovative and spectacular was that console?). How many of us wishes Nintendo would have "gotten it right" the first time around? See also: Nintendo DS Lite.

At any rate, I'd appreciate if you quit citing where I work now as fodder for your argument. I'd still be posting the same line of reasoning even if I was still at 1up.

Chrono

Banned
chespace said:
I can never understand why folks get so tickled when Nintendo makes a shitload of money, all the while offering up subpar technology.

people don't buy nintendo consoles for the technology. it's their
GAMES.

shocking, i know.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
AdmiralViscen said:
-Nintendo made a console more powerful than PS2, and everyone assumed that it was less powerful. Why waste money on a more powerful console when it won't even get the credit it deserves?

For this, I blame Nintendo directly. They were really modest about their specs, unlike the other two. Now, as gamers we could probably appreciate the modesty, but come on now. Nintendo didn't even TRY to let the public know that the GC was more powerful than the PS2. So, I don't really buy that argument. The others I'll agree with, though.

GitarooMan said:
Why would it cost 700 dollars, I'm not saying they've got to be PS3 piece for piece but a moderately powerful system could be sold for 299 or so, especially in late 2006. And why is it that everyone assumes that Nintendo couldn't be successful with such a system. Everyone is like it will be another GC, but maybe if Nintendo made a good design like Revolution, got some Western developers outside of Retro on board, and got Mario going at launch it wouldn't necessarily bomb. What if the third-party ports were *gasp* better on this theoretical system because it had comparable graphics and Revmote gameplay.

It's just not so farfetched for me to conceive of a successful Nintendo system that doesn't involve going cheap. Their strategy is different and certainly plausible, I'm just saying that it was not their only option like some people think.

Okay, this is getting tiring.

-The same piece of kit would cost more from Nintendo because they are less able to loss-lead without the huge corporate backing Sony and MS have, and without stuff like media hub functionaltiy and Blu Ray to subsidize the console investment.
-$299 would be hard to swallow for 1. people looking at the weird revmote, 2. the fact that a 360 Core will probably be cheaper than that at the end of this year, 3. people have a more favorable impression of XBox than Nintendo (after two different consoles failed to supply games in quantity for more than 3.5 years), and 4. the other two consoles are pretty much guaranteed to have more games on them. So why get the Nintendo for the same price?
-GameCube had a good design, and devs didn't jump on board, because it was the odd man out and because first party sales are so huge.
-Nintendo made a console more powerful than PS2, and everyone assumed that it was less powerful. Why waste money on a more powerful console when it won't even get the credit it deserves?
-Who wants third party reports? The whole point of Revmote and lower specs is to prevent publishers from dumping ports on Nintendo's console and calling it a day. Nintendo is pushing for unique content through total differentiation. I like unique content, don't you?

My previous post:

AdmiralViscen said:
-How many consumers would risk $400 on a goofy controller from a company with a tarnished image?
-Could Nintendo afford to sell a PS3-style console at the same price as Sony can?
-What does Nintendo as a corporation have to gain by devloping, selling, and marketing a home media center?
-Why would developers waste their money developing high-cost games for the third-place loser whose userbase buys mostly Nintendo games? Oh, plus a weird controller.

Nintendo had to go low-end with Revo for these reasons.

To those who are wondering why it had to be SO weak:

-Devs will already know the hardware from their GameCube work, hopefully allowing for more games to come out more quickly, and to make up for the fact that they have to figure out how to use a whole new control scheme. That's going to be a big hurdle, so it's a good idea to make other aspects of the hardware as easy as possible.
-Cheap devkits for independent companies.
-Low budgets to give third parties a reason to spend time with it.
-Possible MSRP of $150 would allow Revo to hit the ground running.

chespace said:
If the Revmote really is all that, then yes, I would want to use it with every game I play on every system I own. There's a reason why every console adopted the analog stick and why the PSP isn't so hot in the 3D game control department. Right now, I'm just going by Nintendo's hardware track record with the millionth iteration of the Game Boy and then the DS. How many of us wishes Nintendo would have "gotten it right" the first time around? See also: Nintendo DS Lite.

At any rate, I'd appreciate if you quit citing where I work now as fodder for your argument. I'd still be posting the same line of reasoning even if I was still at 1up.

Wait - you're really Che? Oh snaps! Hello.

I still dont' get why people say not having HD support will somehow lessen the experience... the Revolution is going to be the only console which the experience will be more interactive than ever before. It's going to be an entirely different and new experience than people are used to.

And as for lower specs not benefitting the average gamer? Well, a lower price point sure as hell helps ME out, especially since I'm a multiplatform gamer. I'm glad I won't be buying 3 clones of the same console, but rather 2 clones and a wacky cousin :)

AdmiralViscen said:
Okay, this is getting tiring.

-The same piece of kit would cost more from Nintendo because they are less able to loss-lead without the huge corporate backing Sony and MS have, and without stuff like media hub functionaltiy and Blu Ray to subsidize the console investment.
-$299 would be hard to swallow for 1. people looking at the weird revmote, 2. the fact that a 360 Core will probably be cheaper than that at the end of this year, 3. people have a more favorable impression of XBox than Nintendo (after two different consoles failed to supply games in quantity for more than 3.5 years), so why get the Nintendo for the same price?
-GameCube had a good design, and devs didn't jump on board, because it was the odd man out and because first party sales are so huge.
-Who wants third party reports? The whole point of Revmote and lower specs is to prevent publishers from dumping ports on Nintendo's console and calling it a day. Nintendo is pushing for unique content through total differentiation. I like unique content, don't you?

Why is it tiring, I understand Nintendo's decision to go in a certain direction, but it was far from the only direction they could go. Don't act like their current path was the only one they could take. Nintendo has plenty of money to make such a system, they are not poor. Devs didn't jump on board but that is in part because of Nintendo's unwillingness to get Western developers on board lately, either through outright buying them or through giving them money (like what they did with n-space, except with good developers). I also don't remember everyone assuming it was less powerful, just that it had less software people wanted than PS2.

When I say ports, I mean multiplatform games from EA, Ubisoft, etc. I certainly wouldn't see it as a bad thing if these multifplatform games (say Burnout, BiA, etc.) were best on Rev, I would see it as a benefit. It certainly helped Xbox I think to generally have preferable multi-platform games. There will be unique content on all of the systems.

Also, who says it's got to be a media center, just a moderately powerful game system.

EOGamer

Deku said:
I think a lot of the irrational behavior derives from the fear that Nintendo may actually be right about a lot of things and probably a healthy feeling of condescencion too.
I have no fear at all about that, I wish them the best and hope they do knock my socks off. But based of what happened to my opinion of their quality with the 64, GC, and recently the DS, I have good reason to doubt it. I don't have an emotional stake in a videogame company either way, and I'm just as ready to voice strong critiques of Microsoft or Sony as I am of Nintendo if the opportunity should present itself, as this thread presented me with an opportunity to voice my strong feelings about what Nintendo is doing. I'm glad they're making money and will be around a long time, I just wish that had some kind of benefit for me.

ethelred

clearacell said:
I still dont' get why people say not having HD support will somehow lessen the experience... the Revolution is going to be the only console which the experience will be more interactive than ever before. It's going to be an entirely different and new experience than people are used to.

And as for lower specs not benefitting the average gamer? Well, a lower price point sure as hell helps ME out, especially since I'm a multiplatform gamer. I'm glad I won't be buying 3 clones of the same console, but rather 2 clones and a wacky cousin :)

You know, there's the thing. About 90% of the people here who intend to buy a Revolution will also be buying AT LEAST one of the two other next-gen consoles. So why can't people just accept that the PS3 and the 360 will do their thing similarly (one with an East-oriented library and one with a Western-oriented library) while allowing for the Revolution to simply be going after a different sort of experience? Do we really need three consoles doing basically the same thing?

GitarooMan said:
Why is it tiring, I understand Nintendo's decision to go in a certain direction, but it was far from the only direction they could go. Don't act like their current path was the only one they could take. Nintendo has plenty of money to make such a system, they are not poor. Devs didn't jump on board but that is in part because of Nintendo's unwillingness to get Western developers on board lately, either through outright buying them or through giving them money (like what they did with n-space, except with good developers). I also don't remember everyone assuming it was less powerful, just that it had less software people wanted than PS2.

When I say ports, I mean multiplatform games from EA, Ubisoft, etc. I certainly wouldn't see it as a bad thing if these multifplatform games (say Burnout, BiA, etc.) were best on Rev, I would see it as a benefit. It certainly helped Xbox I think to generally have preferable multi-platform games. There will be unique content on all of the systems.

I didn't say they were poor. Read the part where I quoted myself for the reasons why it doesn't make sense for them to make a multimedia hub like the other two. Unlike MS and Sony, the Revolution is not a Trojan horse for the parent company's other consumer products.

What other direction were they supposed to go in? Who's going to drop $299 for Revo when they could get a 360 Core for $250 with more games released, more games on future releases, and a pretty positive public opinion of the XBox in general? This is assuming they aren't immediately scared off by the controller. Why would devs do anything but dump ports on Revo the way they did with Cube? And I knew exactly what sort of games you were talking about.

Nintendo's situation is more complex than you make it out to be.

snatches

EOGamer said:
-If that helps you deal with a dissenting opinion, I won't stop you from saying it. But I think it's pretty sad that you think in a public messageboard only Nintendo fans should post in Nintendo news and discussion threads. You think I'm a troll, super. I don't care.
-I meant what I said. What they did could just have conceivably have been done by someone else. Assuming that if Nintendo hadn't come along we would still be using a Atari pad is a big stretch, imo.

The point is: If you are not entertained by Nintendo games, then why post in a thread discussion about their new console? Why? I post in threads related to stuff I have an active interest in. You don't have an active interest in Nintendo hardware or software, by your own admission. So by definition that makes you a troll.

And yes, what they have done in the last 20 years could have been done by anyone else, but it wasn't. Why is that? Because the companies that they compete with (whom I like, BTW, see: my avatar) have larger corporate agendas than they do. Games are a small piece of their overall puzzle. Games are everything to Nintendo. Which is why they are eager to do what their competitors decide to ignore. Innovate the medium, grow the market. The DS success proves that they are moving in the right direction. And the revolution is the pinnacle of this thinking.

Thank God Nintendo is willing to take the risks that MS and Sony don't have the balls to.
Seriously.

cybamerc

Will start substantiating his hate
chespace:

> But nobody's really considering that the control scheme could also just be a big bust.

No, that's certainly an original thought. Kudos to you sir for being the first one to point it out. With this in mind I think Nintendo should just scrap the whole Revolution project. They should go the safe route and sit still as their marketshare further declines.

> How many of us wishes Nintendo would have "gotten it right" the first time around? See
> also: Nintendo DS Lite.

I don't know what Nintendo's designers were thinking when they conceived the original DS but I'm not sure what the DS Lite has to do with your argument about Nintendo making too much money on subpar technology. The DS Lite is the same subpar hardware with better screens, a fancy new design and a higher price.

Oblivion

Draft said:
like taking consoles online

Read Johnnyram's post. Nintendo's been trying the online thing since the NES. It just happens that it took off this gen.

AdmiralViscen said:
I didn't say they were poor. Read the part where I quoted myself for the reasons why it doesn't make sense for them to make a multimedia hub like the other two. Unlike MS and Sony, the Revolution is not a Trojan horse for the parent company's other consumer products.

What other direction were they supposed to go in? Who's going to drop $299 for Revo when they could get a 360 Core for $250 with more games released, more games on future releases, and a pretty positive public opinion of the XBox in general? This is assuming they aren't immediately scared off by the controller. Why would devs do anything but dump ports on Revo the way they did with Cube? And I knew exactly what sort of games you were talking about.

Nintendo's situation is more complex than you make it out to be.

But you're acting like it's impossible for them to change that image (i.e. public opinion). What if a 299 Rev had more and better games than the 360 Core, is that so outrageous. And I thought the controller wasn't supposed to scare people, it's supposed to draw people. My point is that just because the Gamecube was X, Y, and Z doesn't mean Nintendo couldn't fix those problems. People have short memories, bring out a hot new system, people won't care about Gamecube anymore. Everyone's favorite Nintendo-esque company, Apple, did just that, reshaping their image and becoming "hip" again.

I think what you might be saying, and it might have some validity, is that no matter what Nintendo does, they cannot compete on the level of MS and Sony in the console battle. I guess I just think that I'm not so sure that's true. I think Nintendo decided it was riskier to do that than do what their doing now, we'll see how it turns out.

madara

clearacell said:
I still dont' get why people say not having HD support will somehow lessen the experience/QUOTE]

Exactly, to the main group Nintendo is focusing Rev at they could completely careless. Even by 2008(when better HD tech is projected to hit) depending on how well HD market gets its act together alot could still careless. Hard die pc/microsoft/sony fans just cant seem to wrap their head around this as they spout 1080p and other buzz words a fair share of people that will buy a rev have no interest in yet. Should there be middle ground though, some way Nintendo could have meet in the middle and try to please everyone? Perhaps, but I dont claim know how wise that is to play on the middle of the fence. Looking at Nintendo history and how little of their business actually has to do with video games so far I can understand there way of thinking abit more. 5 years from now though I clearly expect big N next console to quite cutting edge after we pass this transition peroid we seem to be in.

EOGamer

snatches said:
The point is: If you are not entertained by Nintendo games, then why post in a thread discussion about their new console? Why? I post in threads related to stuff I have an active interest in. You don't have an active interest in Nintendo hardware or software, by your own admission. So by definition that makes you a troll.

And yes, what they have done in the last 20 years could have been done by anyone else, but it wasn't. Why is that? Because the companies that they compete with (whom I like, BTW, see: my avatar) have larger corporate agendas than they do. Games are a small piece of their overall puzzle. Games are everything to Nintendo. Which is why they are eager to do what their competitors decide to ignore. Innovate the medium, grow the market. The DS success proves that they are moving in the right direction. And the revolution is the pinnacle of this thinking.

Thank God Nintendo is willing to take the risks that MS and Sony don't have the balls to.
Seriously.
-Becuase I read replies that intrested me enough to respond to them with my own thoughts. It's discussion, not trolling. Comparing and debating viewpoints on revolution and the direction Nintendo is taking is an active intrest I have in them. Again, you can throw around troll all you want, I don't care. You're a name on my computer screen, when I click the red x in the upper right corner you stop existing, so it doesn't bother me.
-If games weren't a big piece of the puzzle for the other companies, they wouldn't have both outsold the Gamecube. Sony didn't sell 100 million consoles becuase the PS2 can play DVD, they sold that much becuase they have more and better games. Johnny consumer doesn't buy Xbox or PS2 becuase they have cool mutimedia functions, he buys them becuase they have a ton of games that appeals to him.

Chrono

Banned
why the hell are there people always showing up in these threads and DEMANDING nintendo does this or that for them? OH WE WANT HD I WANT ONLINE WAH WAH WAH.

you're not entitled to anything. nintendo is an entertainment company. they're not selling you water in a post-apocalyptic world. revolution will be a luxury, not a necessity. if you don't like it, DON'T BUY IT. nobody owes you anything.

it's like some anime fans who think theyr'e ENTITLED to d/l and watch anime for free for whatever reason.

and not caring about nintendo's financials doesn't put you on some moral pedestal above the fans that do. you don't? good for you chief. plenty of others love nintendo games and they'd like to see them stick around for much longer and these profits are assuring.

Draft

Oblivion said:
Read Johnnyram's post. Nintendo's been trying the online thing since the NES. It just happens that it took off this gen.
lol @ you using that as evidence that nintendo "took consoles online."
Famicom had online testing.
CDi
Hah.
the CDi also had a waggle wand :)

Chrono said:
why the hell are there people always showing up in these threads and DEMANDING nintendo does this or that for them? OH WE WANT HD I WANT ONLINE WAH WAH WAH.

you're not entitled to anything. nintendo is an entertainment company. they're not selling you water in a post-apocalyptic world. revolution will be a luxury, not a necessity. if you don't like it, DON'T BUY IT. nobody owes you anything.

I don't see people demanding Nintendo do anything, just discussing the pros/cons of their direction and decisions. Is that so bad? It's done with the other companies all the time (i.e. MS should have made the hard drive standard, Sony should change the controller, etc., etc.).

chespace

It's not actually trolling if you don't admit it
cybamerc said:
chespace:

> But nobody's really considering that the control scheme could also just be a big bust.

No, that's certainly an original thought. Kudos to you sir for being the first one to point it out. With this in mind I think Nintendo should just scrap the whole Revolution project. They should go the safe route and sit still as their marketshare further declines.

> How many of us wishes Nintendo would have "gotten it right" the first time around? See
> also: Nintendo DS Lite.

I don't know what Nintendo's designers were thinking when they conceived the original DS but I'm not sure what the DS Lite has to do with your argument about Nintendo making too much money on subpar technology. The DS Lite is the same subpar hardware with better screens, a fancy new design and a higher price.

Tsk, tsk, such scathing sarcasm. :)

snatches

EOGamer said:
-If games weren't a big piece of the puzzle for the other companies, they wouldn't have both outsold the Gamecube. Sony didn't sell 100 million consoles becuase the PS2 can play DVD, they sold that match becuase they have more and better games. Johnny consumer doesn't buy Xbox or PS2 becuase they have cool mutimedia functions, he buys them becuase they have a ton of games that appeals to him.

Games are not a big piece of the puzzle for either company, and this plays no bearing on how many consoles they sell. Their respective games divisions do a great job of selling their products, but it doesn't mean they have a large impact on the overall success of the company. Some would NOW say that Sony Corp is betting everything on PS3, but not as it relates to the games or innovation, but how it pertains to BluRay licensing and selling Sony IP, like Sony Music, Sony and MGM movies, etc. It represents a Trojan Horse for other Sony interests.

The PS2 did have more and better games than the gamecube. Thank God Nintendo provided that analog stick for them to control those games with.

Oh, and Johnny consumer doesn't have $400 to spend on a console, BTW. Johnny consumer shops at Walmart. $400 consoles are for hardcore gamers or Richie Rich.

Oblivion

Draft said:
lol @ you using that as evidence that nintendo "took consoles online."

No, I was just referring that they have "tried" it. Trying and succeeding are two different things.

snatches

Vargas said:
What games did Nintendo develop on the CDi?

zelda.jpg

:lol :lol

Tony HoTT

Banned
Fuck this DS lite first time around bullshit. This revision isn't like the GBA SP revision. That was something that should've been done first time around. Atleast a fucking light in the screen anyways. DS lite is just improving something as soon as it becomes feasible to do so.

Mooreberg

ethelred said:
You know, there's the thing. About 90% of the people here who intend to buy a Revolution will also be buying AT LEAST one of the two other next-gen consoles. So why can't people just accept that the PS3 and the 360 will do their thing similarly (one with an East-oriented library and one with a Western-oriented library) while allowing for the Revolution to simply be going after a different sort of experience? Do we really need three consoles doing basically the same thing?

They're not going to be "doing the same thing" because they're going to have different lineups of exclusive games. Having a PS3 or XB360 isn't going to do anything improve the experience of the next Mario or F-Zero game that those systems won't be seeing. People keep talking about how big of a warchest Nintendo has, but what are they doing with it to give people the best experience possible (which includes A/V, and if you think otherwise, avoid the new systems altogether). Even the whole "RE4 exclusivity" agreement was nothing more than handshake. It doesn't benefit anyone who isn't a shareholder (or a cheerleader) for them to skim on the technical capabilities of the system.

Mama Smurf

Mooreberg said:
It doesn't benefit anyone who isn't a shareholder (or a cheerleader) for them to skim on the technical capabilities of the system.

It doesn't benefit poorer people?

Mama Smurf

Yeah? Well I'm "poorer" and probably won't be able to afford a 360/PS3 for at least a couple of years, and I really appreciate a cheaper console.

Mooreberg

Software prices add up to a lot more than what you pay for a system. Are they about to start selling all their first party games for $29.99 or less?

Cosmozone

Cool fight.

This generation ended too soon, didn't it? Poor Gamecube.
I'm also bewildered by the graphics whores. One time I think they live a pathetic life, but then when I see them being so excited about technological advances I envy them.

Mama Smurf

That'd be nice, and I imagine Brain Training type software will be around that price, but I doubt it for the rest.

If they're anything like me, they sell the majority of their games when they're done with them to fund the next lot. And sell their systems to fund the next lot.

eh...why do some people think "HD" is responsible for $60 games and horrible development cycles?

by that logic, every PC game for the past 10 years would be $60+...and the Xbox 1 would've been $500 (omg an "HD" console in 2001! and yes, I know the majority of games were still 480p).

Also, as of now (with the 360), it's not like the system is just so drastically more expensive than previous systems. The PS2 and PSX both launched with "similar" hardware for $299.99, as the 360 does. The "non-tard" (hah) 360 is $399.99, but it's not a horrible cost for what you get. Ask all those folks who bought a hard drive, network adapter, wireless controller, and headset for their original PS2, and you'll end up way over that amount, lol. Yet PS2 sold around 100 million systems, a ton more than the $99-$199 Dreamcast and GC.

And for accessory pricing, a lot of people forget that PS2 and Xbox accessories cost mostly the same amount when they were first released also ($40 memory cards and controllers), so it's not like it's some brand new thing. That's just the early adopter price. It's not like a 360 will permanently be $300-400 for the next 5 years.

Aaaaand sorta back on topic, I completely understand why Nintendo is doing what they're doing...but I'm not gonna act like having an "HD" Nintendo console would've automatically made it $400. Still, it remains to be seen whether the Revolution literally can't output anything higher than 640x480, or that they're just not forcing developers to support 720p or something. Mario Party 9 or WarioWare in 720p is not going to drastically increase development times people.

So in summation, currently the "games are too expensive omg crash!" argument is a bit excessive, nintendo has a good business strategy, but I'm not gonna pretend like they're doing it to save the industry from itself.

Or something.

Jiggy

chespace said:
If the Revmote really is all that, then yes, I would want to use it with every game I play on every system I own. But right now, that's an unknown. As a gamer, I certainly do hope the Revmote will REALLY change the way I play first-person type games (e.g., Oblivion, Halo, etc. since that perspective is my favorite in games). But who fucking knows? Maybe it won't. It's 50/50 right now. I'm just as curious, if not optimistic, as the next guy. But nobody's really considering that the control scheme could also just be a big bust.
Why bother, since they can always fall back on the controller shell in the absolute worst-case scenario?

Amir0x

Banned
BuzzJive said:
Improvements in the quality of image do not relate to improvements in quality of gameplay. Your entire arguement is flawed. You should really just stop talking and let this thread try to get back on track.

That literally has shit all to do with this discussion.

Battersea Power Station said:
Lol -- but... that doesn-- it jus-- logic-- ):

Which ^ doesn't get, apparently. Nobody suggested HD related to improvements in gameplay, only that it was superior to SD.

Which it is.

Scrow said:
i really don't think you took the time to rethink your stance, as i suggested. how suprising. well you can continue with your knee jerk responses as you get caught up in your little crusade to convince everyone that you're in some position to state an "objective fact"; the very one you've contradicted in your own posts... whether you realise it or not. see you in another thread when you're more reasonable and open to the suggestion that you might actually be wrong. i get bored talking to brick walls.

...and expletives don't make your case any stronger.

I don't think you've read anything since you're still not getting it. You guys are listing cons about implementing the thing, which has little to do with the fact that HD is fucking superior to SD. That's the impossible to dispute fact. But if you can list a case where SD image quality is better than HD image quality, then we'd get the ball rolling. "It costs more"/"It uses more RAM" does not change that central aspect.

And then that's why we had the argument that at the end of the day, it's always a good aspect for me the consumer... 'cause even if you didn't have an HDTV now, you will have one in the future (ten years, whenever). And then you can get a PS3 or 360 after numerous price drops, and you'll be getting the benefit. And it's always a great thing.

Also, cursing has nothing to do with the strength of my case. Cursing is just a regular part of my vocabulary. I like to say it's because I'm originally from Brooklyn, but you can picture a frail e-nerd weakly flailing his arms at the screen in rage if it makes you feel better.

cybamerc said:
Except when you factor in price

Instead try to put yourself in the mind of a casual gamer, perhaps even one of these mythical "non-gamers". People aren't buying a $400 system to play Mario and Brain Training and 3.

The price does not change the image quality. Sorry, that's where your argument keeps getting derailed. Also I don't care about casual gamers or mythical non-gamers. Fuck those people. Also, Revolution wouldn't have to be $399. Barring anything incredible addition to the revmote from whatever 'secret' Nintendo has there, Revolution can do its thing for a respectable $249 - $299 without the extraneous features of 360 and PS3 tacked on. But that'd probably mean Nintendo might have to lose 20 bucks per console for the first year. But, ya know, I guess I should be programmed to think from the business perspective or something.

I suppose we can't make any definitive judgment about the viability of their Revolution pricing model until we get the actual price, though...

cybamerc said:
Which is what every company hopes for! That consumers hold off on buying a product so they can save money. How is it that you're not a sales or marketing director for a huge corporation yet?

I don't know how much clearer I can make it that I don't give a good fuck what's good for the "huge corporation", only me. But I admit it may be a little difficult to distinguish in a thread that started out originally as a business statement.

This whole debate started as a way to refute the garbage about how the consumers weren't ready for this and that because Nintendo wasn't on board. Consumers were ready for online, consumers are ready for HD. It doesn't need to be a MAJORITY for them to do it. And certainly, it's important to have a futureproofed console.

GitarooMan said:
And all Amirox is saying is that if you put the same image in HD and in SD, the HD looks better, it's a fact.

Correct.

Monk said:
So making people buy hdtv's is the answer. So much for choice.

Nintendo, Microsoft and Sony aren't doing the forcing, but yes... it is the answer because HD is always gonna be better. Once it approximates the price of regular TVs (and it will in only a few years), anyone who buys a regular SD set is basically just slow.

ethelred said:
You keep using that word. I don't think it means what you think it means.

It means exactly what I think it means. HD > SD is an unchanging rule. Read GitarooMan post.

Mama Smurf said:
What you have to remember in arguments with Amir0x is that he's always right. Always.

It's true. Even more so when discussing facts like HD > SD!

Monorojo

Banned
Cosmozone said:
This generation ended too soon, didn't it? Poor Gamecube.

If it was up to Sony, the next gen would still be a few years off. But no, MS had to rush out the damn 360 and force the competition to do the same and Nintendo following like little penguins with outdated tech pretending a new controller will save gaming....

I dont think its even necessary for Sony as much as it is Nintendo to release a seccessor anytime soon, Ps2 is still outselling 360 in the US on a monthly basis by a good chunk, Europe we dont really know anything besides the fact that 360 is the best selling consols along with PSP so far in 2006, and lets not even talk about Japan and the 360's situation there.

Nintendo got thier asses handed to them by in US and EU by MS last gen., so they had to counter act the 360 sooner than later.

But damn it, Ps2 still has a good 2-3 years in it, ATLEAST. If it wasnt for stupid MS and Nintendo quickly following suit PS3 would be a good 2-3 years off, LIKE IT SHOULD BE.

What is up with these 4 year generations MS is trying to push onto us?
Lets not forget about precious Nintendo, who pretty much gave up on Gamecube sometime in 2004.
Sony on the other hand was still strongly supporting the PS2 and so were all the other third parties.

Thats why everyone should be thankful Sony is the home console market leader and no one else. Let's pray that NEVER changes, or it may just be the end of gaming as we know it.

chespace said:

Don't you have collegues or former colleagues or at least industry acquaintances who have used the thing and can speak for it (I don't know/remember if 1UP has, that's why I ask)? I've talked to people who have and their reactions have been incredibly positive, especially for the Metroid Prime 2 retrofit demo. Sure, there's a very real chance it could just not work for a lot of games, but I'd say the actual evidence from hands on impressions has been quite encouraging.

There's a reason why every console adopted the analog stick and why the PSP isn't so hot in the 3D game control department. Right now, I'm just going by Nintendo's hardware track record with the millionth iteration of the Game Boy and then the DS (not to mention the GameCube -- built on the shoulders of Pokemon profits, how innovative and spectacular was that console?). How many of us wishes Nintendo would have "gotten it right" the first time around? See also: Nintendo DS Lite.

But DS Lite has the exact same hardware features as DS, it's just packaged differently. There's no actual difference in how the thing works or plays. It's like Sony's PSOne or PS2 slim or whatever it's called. As far as the GameCube, what kind of hardware innovation does it have to live up to? It's just a regular console. Did Nintendo make some early claim that the controller layout was amazing or something (genuine question since I have no idea)? If so, I'd be surprised if anyone took such a claim that seriously.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom