• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

inFAMOUS 2 |OT| Think Twice

Thrakier

Few hours in, loving it so far. The jump in graphics is HUGE, like...REALLY huge. This game is open world and looks better than 90% of the rest and it even runs smooth. Very very nice. Lighting is great. Gameplay is tight and fun as ever, so much to do, very addicting. It has this "just one more mission, come on" thing going. I like the characters so far.

mclaren777 said:
Any idea what's in the 1.03 update?

Seemed the same to me.

I beat the game just moments ago on good and.....*claps*

This game is really what a should be all about. Making things from the first even better while not changing anything dramatically.

Things I loved

-Ice jump!! (yes this gets a mention of it's own)
-more powers this time
-the ability to change what powers you use with left on the d-pad
-Story
-Melee, felt so good to beat some guys up from time to time

Things I didn't like
-Sometimes the game threw too many dudes at you. There were some points where there was so much chaos.

My personal game of the year so far. Good job Sucker Punch!

Combichristoffersen said:
Having the standard bolt use electricity was a shitty decision, but it was even worse to not let you recharge when grinding. I hope they'll bring those two things back for Festival of Blood and inFamous 3, if they ever make one.

I think the limited standard bolt was a great decision. It gave the gameplay a sense of urgency and a bit more of a challenge. I do miss recharge grind though and I hope that comes back.

Duffyside

Banned
brucewaynegretzky said:
All I have left is the "get all the powers" trophy. Its so tedious though. I have like 10k left and I can only get like 100 at a time.
I think you can quickly get what you need by doing some user-created missions, if I'm not mistaken. Been awhile since I played Infamous 2. Search for the trophy name in youtube, I bet you find something.

brucewaynegretzky said:
All I have left is the "get all the powers" trophy. Its so tedious though. I have like 10k left and I can only get like 100 at a time.
I don't know how you did it but I beat the game first on hard, got most of the trophies, then I played as evil on my easy playthrough to clean up the rest of the trophies, and when you beat the game for the second time they give you bonus exp, I think it was 10K. That was just enough to get me the last of what I needed.

Raonak said:
Well, you still had melee.
no standard bolt made more sense, you're out of electricity.... yet you can still fire bolts :|

no recharge while grinding was a stupid removal though. Hopefully it'll be back for festival of blood.

Technically Melee wouldn't either because the amp is charged. :p

I always took the basic bolt as his natural bio-electric energy.

And moving with the shield didn't break anything in the first game.

I don't get it--I had everything maxed out in both runs. The 15k was for nothing--you have to maximize your exp whenever you can.

Sinthetic

Both endings were awesome in different ways. Glad I did an evil play through before putting the game aside.

The R2 quick travel powers were equally as sweet, but overall, I think the good power was the sweeter of the two.

Boombloxer said:
Technically Melee wouldn't either because the amp is charged. :p

I always took the basic bolt as his natural bio-electric energy.

And moving with the shield didn't break anything in the first game.

I don't get it--I had everything maxed out in both runs. The 15k was for nothing--you have to maximize your exp whenever you can.

the ennemies were quite different in infamous 2 than infamous 1

there are no devorers in infamous 1

element

mclaren777 said:
Any idea what's in the 1.03 update?
I do!

4DaFfl.jpg

We added the following:
Devourer and Titan are now placeable characters in UGC.
Mission Linking. Which allows you to link UGC missions so they are played in sequence.
Mission Reviews. This lets you submit reviews for UGC missions.
Mission Author. You can search for a specific UGC mission author.

There are some bug fixes as well in there.

element

Angry Fork said:
I hope someone at Sucker Punch etched this into your desk.

"If someone showed me screenshots of MGS4 and said it was on PS2, I'd almost believe them"

For shame.
Perhaps actually reading my post about it.

Raonak

Banned
element said:
Perhaps actually reading my post about it.
It's still a pretty unfair statement, you got the best screen of MGS3 and a very bad shot of MGS4. It was one of the best looking ps3 games when it came out.

ontopic: Is there a timeframe/release date of festival of the dammed?

element

Raonak said:
It's still a pretty unfair statement, you got the best screen of MGS3 and a very bad shot of MGS4. It was one of the best looking ps3 games when it came out.
I don't consider that a bad MGS4 screen, that is what the game looks like. If you read the post it is more about technology. Take a screenshot from Gears of War and compare it to a great looking Xbox game, and there is a huge difference, which was my point.

ontopic: Is there a timeframe/release date of festival of the dammed blood?
October. No specific date yet.

element

ShockingAlberto said:
Element, if you guys ever need a new community manager, I platinum'd inFamous 2 in like a week. That should count for something.
hah. that is my job and I like it.
Well done on platinum so quickly.

Thrakier

One thing I don't like so far is the monster design. It's fun to fight huge things, ok, but I don't get why they are there. The basic design is ok, blade-esque, but the huge things look and sounds hilarious. They are way too colorful with this pink and green shit and...I don't know. Just weird. They don't look like professional design somehow. More like...user generated. ;D

Oh and I liked the old cole better. Not the voice but the over all character. He was way griddier but also he seemd more honest to me. The new one is kinda...girly. I don't know.

Finally just got my platinum. UGC was a goddamn chore. Brought out the worst in infamous' mechanics. Small platforms to jump on that send Cole automatically running off the edge. I hate that glitch. Slanted ledges that I can't run up so I have twitchly jump up it. Narrow platforms that I can't just run down because Cole keeps hopping onto the railings. And dying after getting to the results menu and having to restart? WOW.

Too bad I discovered the search function too late. Just typed in "easy" and did the last 3 I needed. Never touching it again.

I love the games, don't get me wrong. But the last few missions leading to the final decision on hard were terrible and didn't feel superheroic at all. Next game should keep in mind that I have powers and offer missions that take advantage of them in battles, not fetch lids and medkits.

MoonsaultSlayer said:
I love the games, don't get me wrong. But the last few missions leading to the final decision on hard were terrible and didn't feel superheroic at all. Next game should keep in mind that I have powers and offer missions that take advantage of them in battles, not fetch lids and medkits.

i think that the tempest mission ( the ones with unlimited energy ) did a pretty good job making you feel like you're invincible ...
The one where you discover john explanations was also well done IMO...

Strangly i disliçked "taking out bertrand".. that felt like a shore ...

JudgeN

So is there any chance that Sucker punch will added all the pre-order skins to a patch or the PSN store for free?

I want to do a evil play through but I want to use the reaper skin.

Thrakier

I have som critic points though:

- Infamous 1 had much better pacing. In Inf2 I got a lot of powers in the beginning and then nothing happened for a long time. Also, they are not as "game changing" as in Inf1, except maybe the Ice jump.

- while graphics are worlds better, framerate is still too iffy at times. There were quite a few scenes where it hindered gameplay.

- story, setting and characters were better in 1. Sure, 1 had the bonus of being the first one, so everything was new. That made it easier to impress.

- the ice effects are ugly as fuck. Seriously, they really damage the overall graphics impression. Wasn't there an other way to include ice?? It's a mess.

EDIT:

Hm. Just played it head to head with Inf1. I think Inf1 is asthetically more pleasing while Inf2 has much better tec. I like the more griddy look of Inf1, it oozed atmosphere. That's kinda lost in Infamous 2, also because of those strange MASTERS OF THE UNIVERSE Monsters. I hope, if there is a 3, they go back the original style.

Also for some reason, shooting stuff is more fun in Infamous 1. I think they really fucked up coles standard bolt. I hate that machinegun like bolt in 2. It sounds like shit and causes slowdown. The other attacks are too slow. ZAP ZAP ZAP ZAP from Inf1 is what's missing in this game.

HYDE

Banned
Combichristoffersen said:
Having the standard bolt use electricity was a shitty decision, but it was even worse to not let you recharge when grinding. I hope they'll bring those two things back for Festival of Blood and inFamous 3, if they ever make one.

I'd think they have to be working on 3 or something entirely new, as a different studio is doing the Sly sequel.

jackdoe

Thrakier said:
- the ice effects are ugly as fuck. Seriously, they really damage the overall graphics impression. Wasn't there an other way to include ice?? It's a mess.
I do agree with this. The ice effects looked awful and brought down the overall presentation. But the ice powers were still great fun.

Thrakier

Man, the framedrops are really distracting. The problem is that they occur in combat situations mostly. So that makes the combat somewhat cumbersome sometimes. I don't remember Infamous 1 to be that way.

Corto

Got this today and started playing immediately. I'm hooked. Shard hunting is addicting as ever, and after the shock (heh) had past of discovering that stunts are linked to unlocks of the powers I actually prefer the way these are handled here. I'm avoiding UGC missions as I read that some of those had some spoilish content... Is that still true? And noticeable graphical bump from the first game. I will finish this game through and through without touching any other games as I did with the first one... And is actually rare for me to do that.

Just made it to the second island and did a 100% of the first island. I'm playing too much as I'm getting bored and feeling and just doing the same thing over and over again.

The story is kind of all over the place, and not grabbing me like the first. Seems more like an expansion pack to the first one than a totally new sequel IMO. I was just renting it as I could never find it new for a decent price so I'll just take it back tomorrow and get Resistance 3.

OldJadedGamer said:
Just made it to the second island and did a 100% of the first island. I'm playing too much as I'm getting bored and feeling and just doing the same thing over and over again.

The story is kind of all over the place, and not grabbing me like the first. Seems more like an expansion pack to the first one than a totally new sequel IMO. I was just renting it as I could never find it new for a decent price so I'll just take it back tomorrow and get Resistance 3.
the story is not hitting you because you're doing too much backtracking .. for sidequests .Infamous 2 is his own game as you'll see while the events of the 2nd and 3rd part will unfold.

It's not a great idea to do all the side-missions as you unlock them; it'll really burn you out. Unfortunately the way inFamous 2 works is that it introduces a new enemy or mechanic in a mission, and then that mission will unlock a couple of side-missions that you do exactly the same thing in. The first time you see one of those bug monsters you'll immediately unlock two more missions where you have to kill bug monsters, and it's like that for pretty much every significant new mission. It's really just not a fun way to play through the game, the pacing is a lot better if you ignore the side-missions, or just clear a couple out when you're messing around.

OldJadedGamer said:
The first one you had to do the side missions or you got screwed out of completing your challenges later on.

they took note of the complains, that 's why you have more side missions , that's why you have UGC and that's why you have blast shard sense too ...

90% of teh annoying thing of infamous 1 are gone ... play like you want ..you can't be screwed ( with xp or skills )

I stopped playing Infamous 1 after about 4-5 hours, it was just way too repetetive for me. I kinda liked the overall gameplay though. Is Infamous 2 more varied or is it more of the same?

Thrakier

pappakenoo said:
I stopped playing Infamous 1 after about 4-5 hours, it was just way too repetetive for me. I kinda liked the overall gameplay though. Is Infamous 2 more varied or is it more of the same?

More of the same.

Genjikage said:
Just beat this... good ending!

Saddened =\ Awesome game, want moar!
Do we know which ending is considered canon?
maybe we'll know in FoB..but most likely in Infamous 3 if SP is considering it ...

Top Bottom