• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox Live: Fall 2011 Dashboard update preview

Phonomezer said:
How? It's just a horizontal Windows Media Centre layout.

Not sure why we should bother anymore, people will see what they want to see. To these people everything looks like XMB because everybody copied from their beloved Sony.

I have nothing against XMB, and I think it's a good interface and really dumbfound as to why Sony would abandon it for Vita "iOS" / Android interface.

edit: I thought about it on the way to work, and the reason they went with iOS/Android row of icons interface is probably because of Vita touch screen.

DoomXploder7 said:
I like it. I wish the games tab wasn't so far or was the main tab. Can't really be bothered about ads. but man you guys on GAF will complain about/defend anything.

That's where the game tab right now also. If Game tab is the main tab, you will get even more people complaining about ads because Game tab is Game section of the Marketplace.

What I think missing from the Home tab is quick access to your system video, music etc like they have on My Xbox row currently. May be they have combine all that into Quickplay tile.

Shurs

I'm not offended by the advertisements, as they're easy enough for me to ignore. That said, those people acting like the ads are not ads are ridiculous.

The new UI looks great. I'm looking forward to its release.

xbhaskarx

snoopeasystreet said:
I'd rather have a million dashboard ads than having to wait 2 minutes for my games library to load. That's the most bullshit part of the 360.
This.

Also I really really hope the recently played games list in the Games Library expands the last 10 games to ALL the games on the console, like with the PS3. But such a common sense change is probably too much to ask for.

Booshka

This new dashboard is going to ruin my waterfall picture from Kings Canyon, CA that looks amazing on the current dashboard background.

Otherwise it looks alright, I am mostly interested in them speeding up the guide and making it more useful.

Shurs said:
I'm not offended by the advertisements, as they're easy enough for me to ignore. That said, those people acting like the ads are not ads are ridiculous.

The new UI looks great. I'm looking forward to its release.

To me, as long as it has something to do with the system, it is not an ad. A video about Crastle Crashers... Not an ad. A box about Axe body spray, that is an ad.

OldJadedGamer said:
To me, as long as it has something to do with the system, it is not an ad. A video about Crastle Crashers... Not an ad. A box about Axe body spray, that is an ad.
I agree, I'm cool with them pimping out the newest XBLA game. In fact I prefer it.

lowrider007

Licorice-flavoured booze?
Can't wait for this update, the current 'My Xbox' channel on the dash is so bright, at night it's like a spotlight in my room, I'm glad that they took that into consideration on the update.

I'm genuinely curious to see how far Microsoft is going to push things on their next console. Watch a commercial each time you log into Live? It wouldn't surprise me one bit. They've met little resistance this gen when it comes to pushing the boundaries of what's acceptable. They won't stop until the blowback becomes too much to handle. We're a long way from that point based on this thread and the general apathy that exists among the average Xbox gamer.

OldJadedGamer said:

I have notice they always try to put some type of "game" related spin into the ads which make them even more silly There is an Outback ads with free theme and gamer pic, seriously who would want Outback theme on their dashboard... well may be someone really really like Outback.

Though I have to said in the past there were some nice stuffs from these ads, I really like all my Ford Mustang theme and Porsche theme.

Satchel

Banned
old themes better work

OldJadedGamer said:

This is what I never understood about people complaining.

I have rarely if EVER seen an ad on NXE that didn't relate to the console, a feature, or a game in some way.

Shurs

OldJadedGamer said:

But, really, it's still an advertisement; it's just targeted towards you, is all.

mujun

BruiserBear said:
I'm genuinely curious to see how far Microsoft is going to push things on their next console. Watch a commercial each time you log into Live? It wouldn't surprise me one bit. They've met little resistance this gen when it comes to pushing the boundaries of what's acceptable. They won't stop until the blowback becomes too much to handle. We're a long way from that point based on this thread and the general apathy that exists among the average Xbox gamer.

I'd also like to know where that money goes and what effect that revenue stream being taken away would have on the quality of the service.

Apath

I love the UI, but I actually agree now: the ad space given in the screens are total bullshit. I'm amazed it's not an april fools joke.

Kujo

I don't get the people complaining about the people complaining about ads. There's not that many and the text is pretty small, you can easily just scroll past those posts or put them on ignore or click on a different topic.

:p

saunderez

Mojo said:
I don't get the people complaining about the people complaining about ads. There's not that many and the text is pretty small, you can easily just scroll past those posts or put them on ignore or click on a different topic.
Seems like some people lack the self control to simply not buy what is being advertised and are determined to banish all advertisements from the face of the planet because of this. They should probably quit the internet if that's the case.

I've gone through so many dashboard changes it's like I've owned 3 different consoles. Blades were pretty cool back in the day but that was before there were a thousand things you could do on xbox live.

Gaspode_T

Like my high school teacher that told us "If you don't vote on election day, you aren't allowed to complain about government laws", if you are going to complain about ads, make sure you go and actually, you know, buy games...like Indie Games for example, or at worst some XBLA games. And never click the ads. If you are like me though, and it says "Free 1600 pts drawing!!!" you will probably be clicking them, and that's why they still exist. I login to PSN Store on my new PSP and the first page has some ads, some sale advertisements...they are still ads, it's not Slim Jim's or Eskimo Ice Cream, but it's ads.

Any service is bound to evolve and eventually snare your leg like a toothed clamp trap when business is involved...I love being able to find music on YouTube but I hate the commercials that are on almost all the major music artists official pages these days. I can't blame them for trying to make money, but that doesn't mean I won't go find something else if it gets to the point I can find content in different ways (if I had a way to do similar thing through my TV or even Xbox I would not go through YouTube anymore). Being able to watch South Park without commercials and uncensored on Netflix is also some sort of epiphany to me.

mujun said:
I'd also like to know where that money goes and what effect that revenue stream being taken away would have on the quality of the service.

What money? 95% of the advertising content on the Xbox dash is for content and services on the 360, stuff that's either self-promotion (Microsoft's own content) or promotional exchange (slots for other companies' games and services) that isn't paid for directly.

sweetvar26 said:
Is the cloud saving feature supposed to be in the same update?

Yup.

It will show up as a new option when the game asks you where you want to save your game. When I talked to them about the feature, they weren't sure if they would implement a "move all my saves to the cloud" function yet, as they are trying to find out if that would work with the DRM that some games have.

Personally, I think that if you only have a silver account, then FUCKING ADS IN YOUR FACE, but if you have gold then only a few ads of DLC of the games I have played and not anything to do with games I have yet to play.

eek5

MarkMclovin said:
Personally, I think that if you only have a silver account, then FUCKING ADS IN YOUR FACE, but if you have gold then only a few ads of DLC of the games I have played and not anything to do with games I have yet to play.
How will you know when new XBLA games come out? :/

xbhaskarx said:
^ I think that joke went over your head...

I didn't know that was a joke : P

Yeah, I can't wait for cloud saving. It's nice to not have to save to my USB stick or have to move my saves there when I go over to my in-law house.

Shurs said:
But, really, it's still an advertisement; it's just targeted towards you, is all.

Most are informative like how to get certain achivements. That's like cracking open Game Informer and saying how every article that talks about games in any way is an ad.

The interface was built to keep users informed of current games and services. I feel way more connected and knowledgeable about the 360 products than I do with my PS3 products. Outside of the ticker telling me about Weezy's new single I really have to hunt down information about games on my PS3. I like where they are going with the Vita interface and hope they extend that to the PS4 as well.

Hey You

antiquegamer said:
I didn't know that was a joke : P

Yeah, I can't wait for cloud saving. It's nice to not have to save to my USB stick or have to move my saves there when I go over to my in-law house.
Forgot about Cloud saving. It will be good so I don't lose saves (I'm terrfied that somehow I'll lose my LA Noire save :S).

Edit: Spelling Mistake.

Hey You said:
Forgot about Cloud saving. It will be good so I don't lose saves (I'm terrfied that somehow I'l lose my LA Noire save :S).
I accidental deleted almost every single game save of mine this summer. It was like part of me had died. =(

statham

Hey You said:
Forgot about Cloud saving. It will be good so I don't lose saves (I'm terrfied that somehow I'l lose my LA Noire save :S).
I was maybe 2-3 hours from the end, and I somehow deleted all my saves. Actually I know how, I wanted to clear some space off my harddrive and deleted my install which killed my saves. I was getting bored at the end but still wanted to finish it. :( not replaying it, so gamestop it went.

mujun

charlequin said:
What money? 95% of the advertising content on the Xbox dash is for content and services on the 360, stuff that's either self-promotion (Microsoft's own content) or promotional exchange (slots for other companies' games and services) that isn't paid for directly.

Fair enough. I hardly notice the ads myself. I assumed there were quite a lot of ads not related to marketplace content based on what other people were saying in other threads where this argument has gone on.

mujun said:
Fair enough. I hardly notice the ads myself. I assumed there were quite a lot of ads not related to marketplace content based on what other people were saying in other threads where this argument has gone on.

That's the problem is that there are actually very few real advertisements but everyone wants to blow it up to make it look like a bigger issue than it really is.

Neuromancer said:
I accidental deleted almost every single game save of mine this summer. It was like part of me had died. =(

That's how I felt when my Wii corrupted by 1019 Gamecube memory card a few months ago while I was playing Eternal Darkness. It deleted all my game saves starting from 2002.

Vinterbird said:
It will show up as a new option when the game asks you where you want to save your game. When I talked to them about the feature, they weren't sure if they would implement a "move all my saves to the cloud" function yet, as they are trying to find out if that would work with the DRM that some games have.
Interesting.
AnEternalEnigma said:
That's how I felt when my Wii corrupted by 1019 Gamecube memory card a few months ago while I was playing Eternal Darkness. It deleted all my game saves starting from 2002.
...uh...you sure the saves aren't there?

Neuromancer said:

How the fuck...

I would've just stopped gaming for a while. How infuriating.

vg260

Batman comes out October 18 w/ 3d support. Wonder if the 3d support is part of the new update. I thought I saw a leaked screen confirming 3d support, but it kinda looked like the old dash.

Peterthumpa

2&2 said:
Batman comes out October 18 w/ 3d support. Wonder if the 3d support is part of the new update. I thought I saw a leaked screen confirming 3d support, but it kinda looked like the old dash.
3D is already possible with the 360, just not using the HDMI 1.4 standard like the PS3.
Gears 3 will also support stereoscopic 3D.

Top Bottom