• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

A New Look at Square Enix's Luminous Engine [Update: Now With Videos]

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Videos:

The ones at the bottom like the reflection demo and the cloth physics are the most interesting.

miladesn said:

http://game.watch.impress.co.jp/docs/news/20111012_483045.html

http://game.watch.impress.co.jp/docs/news/20111012_483046.html

More pics courtesy of AndriaSang:

sqex499yf0.jpg

16sx8i.jpg

opcpvq.jpg

2r3dt7m.jpg

35872wp.jpg

Kenka

Why having chosen interiors at this resolution with few light sources and poor colors ? Well, it doesn't look bad for what it is though.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
There are two really lengthy articles about the engine that will probably get a new thread when duckroll gets back.

Unfortunately AndriaSang didn't translate anything, so we only have these pictures, some other tech demo pictures, and a ton of PowerPoint slides (written in Japanese).

Kenka said:
Why having chosen interiors at this resolution with few light sources and poor colors ? Well, it doesn't look bad for what it is though.
The resolution at Watch Impress is vastly higher.

Feep

Banned
The aliasing kills it on that last one. You couldn't even be troubled to doctor your photos, SE?

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
I like their bold new character designs. >_>

terrain_sry3t.jpg

In reality it seems they're switching to spline based animation.

Rising_Hei

Crunched said:
The DX11 component is mighty interesting to me, because it signals the fact to me that Square will be focusing more on PC in the future. If that means more jRPGs on PC, this is excellent news.
It could just mean that nextgen will have the DX11 support, i don't see an offline FF coming to PC ever again, honestly.

Durante

Rising_Hei said:
It could just mean that nextgen will have the DX11 support, i don't see an offline FF coming to PC ever again, honestly.
I'm not so sure, for TLR they made a very competent PC version. And it's their only game where they had the opportunity to do so easily in terms of engine.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
http://www.next-gen.biz/news/square-enix-shows-photo-realistic-next-generation-engine

At a press conference in Japan last weekend, Square Enix showed off tech demos of its next-generation Luminous Engine, which it first announced in August, and announced features of its Luminous Studio development framework.

Designed with native DirectX 11 support, the engine includes cloth and fluid simulation, realtime reflections and highly efficient tessellation techniques that lower the level of detail of 3D models with minimal memory usage cost.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Jonnyram said:
It seems good at rendering car parks.

Final Fantasy XVI to take place mostly in car park-like places. :p

DaBuddaDa

Simple lighting, flat, industrial texture, very simple, mostly square geometry. Honestly these shots are not very impressive at all to me. It's relatively easy to give the impression of photo-realism in environments like these. I'll be more interested to see what a cityscape or a jungle or a person looks like rendered in this engine.

Ploid 3.0

DaBuddaDa said:
Simple lighting, flat, industrial texture, very simple, mostly square geometry. Honestly these shots are not very impressive at all to me. It's relatively easy to give the impression of photo-realism in environments like these. I'll be more interested to see what a cityscape or a jungle or a person looks like rendered in this engine.

Is it bad form to poke fun at the idea of a city in this new Square engine? I really hope they go back to complex cities during downtime. Something to explore and chill out in. Play dice or hope the characters are old enough to drink at the bar type stuff.

DaBuddaDa

Ploid 3.0 said:
Is it bad form to poke fun at the idea of a city in this new Square engine? I really hope they go back to complex cities during downtime. Something to explore and chill out in. Play dice or hope the characters are old enough to drink at the bar type stuff.
A cityscape along the lines of what's been shown in Versus XIII, or Mirror's Edge, or Palumpolum, or something like that.

Hopefully the creation of this engine isn't going to be yet another money and timesink that the Crystal Tools proved to be
Stop making new engines! Just make good games pls

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
So their R&D leads are western? Thats quite the change for any Japanese studio.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
Teetris said:
Gotta get the engine done in time this time
I think that Kojima Productions also hired western devs.
Game Dev has changed ...

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
Lyriell said:
My SNES could do 256 colours at once.

Apparently next gen is 12 shades of grey... yellow and red.

your snes wasn't able to do colourgrading, that's why you were assaulted with 256 colours at once.

sajj316

B_Rik_Schitthaus said:
I guess video games need traffic cones.
Cones in place of rendered garbage on the right. I need my next gen engine to properly render a mountain of dynamically generated garbage and a glass of Mountain Dew. Water is too easy. Give me carbonated sugar!

The real-time screens are nice though.

Show me better character and facial animations and better AI. If this engine can eliminate the uncanny valley, then I'll be impressed.

Top Bottom