• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild 01 (3DS) Trailer/Director's Commentary

Truth101

Banned
Trailer Here

nqZXx.jpg

Thanks Tomodachi

The Crimson Shroud music is incredibly good.

Crimson Shroud music gave me Vagrant Story vibes....

Edit: Just saw it, same composer. lol

Also Suda and Matsuno game, had way more exposure (obviously) so maybe they have way more content.
Just realized this will be the highest selling Suda 51 game ever..., isn't he lucky? lol

Rahxephon91 said:
Suda's game is the most impressive. Keep on turkin Suda.

The closer we'll get of a new ZOE game, it seems.

Truth101

Banned
Oni Link 666 said:
I love Crimson Shroud's art! I really want to see the game.

Kaiho Shojo's anime looks like a bunch of other animes.

Looks like a BONES animation, which is a good thing. BONES are incredibly talented.

GDGF

Soothsayer
Guild01 is going to be freaking sweet.

Suda51's game looks the most interesting to me. Love the animation. Reminded me of Macross meets evangelion or something.

Can't wait for this.

Also Yoot Saito reminds me of a Japanese Bill Nye the Science Guy.

Too bad the trailer didn't have any footage of Crimson Shroud...it showed footage from all the others, but Crimson Shroud looks most interesting to me.

Codeblue

Suda's effort is defintely the most interesting to me since we haven't seen anything from Matsuno yet.

I really want to try Airporter though. It's such a dull setting but it sounds really fun.

chaostrophy said:
Too bad the trailer didn't have any footage of Crimson Shroud...it showed footage from all the others, but Crimson Shroud looks most interesting to me.

Arguably Matsuno's the headline act of this release, I wouldn't be suprised if they are saving the CS footage for a later reveal to itself. You don't open with a show stopper, or something like that.

Matsuno's game is surely the most interesting one. I really love the vibe I'm getting from the teaser. I suspect the unveiling of the actual game will be underwhelming though, seeing how the other three game are already pretty simplistic.

LProtag

Seems like there's an emphasis on making it like a tabletop RPG.

I wonder if this will ever see a release out West though.

M3d10n

This being a 4-in-1 compilation is so bizarre. Specially because the games are so fucking different. It would be nice if they were also released individually in the eShop.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
*dontthinkabouttheassthinkaboutthegamedontthinkabouttheassthinkaboutthegamedontthinkabouttheassthinkaboutthegamedontthinkabouttheassthinkaboutthegamedontthinkabouttheassthinkaboutthegamedontthinkabouttheassthinkaboutthegame*
This...
*Come on, I know you can do it!*
...this...
*Come on!*
...This ass will be awesome!
*F**k you, moron*
...D'OH!

wsippel

Banned
M3d10n said:
This being a 4-in-1 compilation is so bizarre. Specially because the games are so fucking different. It would be nice if they were also released individually in the eShop.
Level-5 supposedly plans to sell this collection at a budget price ("as low as possible"), so the idea is probably that you buy it for one or two games, and try out the other titles. Doesn't matter if you end up not liking them, but if you do, the team or the IP has another fan, and from what Hino said, Guild is meant to scout for valuable new IPs. I don't think that's stupid.

wsippel said:
Level-5 supposedly plans to sell this collection at a budget price ("as low as possible"), so the idea is probably that you buy it for one or two games, and try out the other titles. Doesn't matter if you end up not liking them, but if you do, the team or the IP has another fan, and from what Hino said, Guild is meant to scout for valuable new IPs. I don't think that's stupid.

Bingo.

It's like any other variation on the anthology approach - you have one or two "tentpole" games/stories/artists/writers etc. etc. big enough to draw in a wide audience, in the hope that they will try out the rest. Executed well, the result should be exposure for new creators/IPs and the possibility of spinning those off into their own standalone titles.

If Level 5 pull it off, it could be a lower risk way of introducing gamers to new IP rather than committing to the (relatively) large costs involved in launching even a budget standalone 3DS game.

You can argue that they should be standalone releases, but that misses the point - if they're divided, gamers will stick with the high-profile, known quantities. Bung them together in a low-cost package and gamers will have to take them all as one and are far more likely to at least try out the games they wouldn't otherwise have bought.

Codeblue

wsippel said:

It certainly sounds better than Capcom's method of fishing for new hits.

Cipherr

Cosmonaut X said:
Bingo.

It's like any other variation on the anthology approach - you have one or two "tentpole" games/stories/artists/writers etc. etc. big enough to draw in a wide audience, in the hope that they will try out the rest. Executed well, the result should be exposure for new creators/IPs and the possibility of spinning those off into their own standalone titles.

If Level 5 pull it off, it could be a lower risk way of introducing gamers to new IP rather than committing to the (relatively) large costs involved in launching even a budget standalone 3DS game.

You can argue that they should be standalone releases, but that misses the point - if they're divided, gamers will stick with the high-profile, known quantities. Bung them together in a low-cost package and gamers will have to take them all as one and are far more likely to at least try out the games they wouldn't otherwise have bought.

Its a good idea honestly. Big budgets in games cause issues when those games dont do well. The industry is adapting. When they announced that Guild 01 would be budget priced, that pretty much peaked my interest. Im only really interested in Crimson Shround, but Ill pay budget price for the game and try the rest out.

Had they tried to sell it at full price I would have passed. Its a pretty decent idea. And handhelds is a good place for it. They should get 4 more devs and do a Vita one if this one works out. This would be such a cool way to launch franchises.

Reknoc

That second game looked interesting, though a bit on the ugly side. Still the guy talking about it reminds me of the current Doctor in Dr. Who, so that's cool!

Truth101

Banned
wsippel said:

I actually like this idea, it makes sense too. I guess that we will see a Guild 002 in the near future.

hatchx

Banned
Cosmonaut X said:
Bingo.

Yup, it really is an excellent and invigorating idea. I'd love a 4-in-1 package in completely different gameplay genres. Great way to have gameplay variety without being a mini-game romp.

Mpl90 said:
*dontthinkabouttheassthinkaboutthegamedontthinkabouttheassthinkaboutthegamedontthinkabouttheassthinkaboutthegamedontthinkabouttheassthinkaboutthegamedontthinkabouttheassthinkaboutthegamedontthinkabouttheassthinkaboutthegame*
This...
*Come on, I know you can do it!*
...this...
*Come on!*
...This ass will be awesome!
*F**k you, moron*
...D'OH!

Is this necessary every single time?

Btw, the concept is neat as I said in the original thread.
I do think they won't be mini-games, surely not as big as full retail games but overall they might give a great experience, probably some of them aimed on something more if the project will succeed.
Ah, the price... Well, the lower the price, the higher the success.

C-Jo

All four games looked pretty interesting and I really like the compilation concept. Crossing my fingers for an English release.

DGRE

Banned
I can't believe how sedate the reactions in this thread are. This is one of the most exciting things to happen in game development in MANY years. It's such an amazing idea. The modern day version of a sampler disc, but on massive amounts of steroids.

Airporter will be amazing. I can't tell you how large the void Aerobiz left in my heart is.

Ainaurdur

I am in need of Crimson Shroud.
When I heard him say tabletop, and then you see how the dice are shown multiple times, I want to see what Matsuno is going to do with this.

Ainaurdur said:
I am in need of Crimson Shroud.
When I heard him say tabletop, and then you see how the dice are shown multiple times, I want to see what Matsuno is going to do with this.

Yup. I got that same shiver down my spine that I always get when I see trailers of Matsuno games.
I JUST NEED TO SEE GAMEPLAY. I NEED TO KNOW WHAT THIS IS.

Zenaku

Just posted this on GameFAQs. I don't get many chances to test my translation skills, so if anyone sees anything wrong, or thinks things could be worded better, let me know.

http://www.4gamer.net/games/142/G014210/20111015011/

Kaihou Shoujo
-Opening animation has 3D support
-Easy/Normal/Hard modes
-Touchpen for aiming to lock-on to enemies, release to fire at them
-"Shield Bullets" which house missiles are also for defence
-Defeat enemies to fill a "Sword Gauge", unleash a Sword Attack when full
-Music during boss battle includes vocals
-Combination of touchpen controls and 3D works so well, the reviewer believes the game could stand up on its own

Rental Bukiya de omasse
-Game starts with a keyboard on the bottom screen, and a retro PC command screen on the top
-Screen changes to a logo for an RPG, "WIKO II Night of Legend"
-As the reviewer wondered if he chose the wrong game the message "for this they worked behind the scenes..." is displayed, before switching to "Rental Bukiya"s title screen
-The games protagonist is a weapon merchant in an RPG
-Game plays like a rhythm game, tapping iron to a rhythm
-Use slidepad or "reverse" button to turn over the iron and hit it into shape evenly
-Cool the weapon in water to finish
-Weapons stats differ depending on how well you beat it into shape
-Customers include a super hero wannabe "Jan", and "Solder A" looking to defeat the Demon Lord
-Check customers progress with Donainatta item, which displays progress in text format
-Text displayed on the Donainatta screen is humurous

Air Porter
-From creator of "The Tower" and "Seaman"
-Luggage from passengers is placed on the conveyor belts
-Conveyor belts are split into several levels
-Use the L/R buttons to control the conveyor belt arms and move luggage to the correct conveyor belt
-Game starts with 2 conveyor belts, but increases to 3 and later 4, with 5 and 6 also available in the full version
-Send the luggage to the wrong plane and it won't be counted
-Dangerous objects can also appear on the belts, send these to the disposal truck on standby

In conclusion
-The games are each fun, and show off their individual creators attention to detail
-Kaihou Shoujo's opening animation was such high quality, and the opening of Rental Bukiya nearly tricking them, they felt each title had a high quality to them
-Along with the near unknown "Crimson Shroud", the games in "GUILD01" look to be shaping into titles one wouldn't regret playing

I want this game, not only because the individual games sound cool, but also because this is a concept that I could really see turning into something great for Level 5.

why not ? oh wait .. region locked 3DS ...i want to play this game and i can import game but not consoles ..( yeah i'm in a weird region of the world ) ..this better work so that they can localize it .

ZoddGutts

Considering Suda51's previous games, he's will be the worst but at least I'll be the most stylish looking one, so that counts for something!

3251977625_4bca813d76_z.jpg

This is my first time seeing Yoot Saito. He looks like a rough looking dude. If I was forced to fight any one of the Guild 01 guys in a bar, it wouldn't be Saito.

yoshiyuki-hirai.jpg

Hirai looks a lot like Tucker Carlson though, I think I can take him.

Other than all of that... I'm actually really interested by this compilation, and support the idea of it. Hirai's game kind of sounds like a feudal Japanese Recettear? I also imagine spending an unhealthy amount of time on Air Porter. Of course, it's Matsuno's Crimson Shroud I'm most intrigued about. As a tabletop RPG, is the game going to be much closer in execution and design to western computer RPGs? Very interested to see a game like that through Matsuno's eyes.

GhaleonQ

M3d10n said:

It gives me fond memories of Wonder 3/3 Wonders, which I'd put among Capcom's all-time greats.

Boney

Banned
GhaleonQ said:
It gives me fond memories of Wonder 3/3 Wonders, which I'd put among Capcom's all-time greats.
look what we have here

are you done being rude to other gaffers?

apparently not!

B.K.

Just watched the video. I have a bad feeling that Matsuno and Sakimoto are being wasted with this game. They deserve more than this.

Pinko Marx said:
Yup. I got that same shiver down my spine that I always get when I see trailers of Matsuno games.
I JUST NEED TO SEE GAMEPLAY. I NEED TO KNOW WHAT THIS IS.

Signs point to favorable here that he's being allowed to let his game-making acumen shine in this. ALL HAIL LORD MATSUNO!

n8

Unconfirmed Member
I want my american mitts on an american cart of this for my american 3DS.

I like the little collaboration here level 5 has made here. The devs here support one another by releasing 4 original, intriguing games as a cheap package. I'm all for this, as smaller quick titles are great on handhelds and these guys know how to release some cool stuff.

Top Bottom