• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U Speculation Thread of Brains Beware: Wii U Re-Unveiling At E3 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.
meppi said:
Are you serious? :-/
yes, he was really crazy, it's not like he was intentionally trolling when he said stupid things; and he could get down from his horse much easily that a lot of other users. I don't think there's a guideline preventing manageable crazy people joining GAF.

I am interested to see what got him banned though!

walking fiend said:
I hope it's not something serious :(
why would he get banned anyway?!
One of the mods probably felt that he needed a little break for the sake of what's left of his sanity. He's really entertaining but he's also set an all new standard for extreme posting. Hopefully he finds some middle ground during his break.

AlStrong

bgassassin said:
The DDR3 calc was 64-bit, but using IBM's quad-channel memory interface.

N-channel means Nx64-bit interfaces on the CPU. This is not particularly different from how GPUs achieve their ultimate memory bus widths (R6xx being the exception with its ringbus).

Yes on the GPU since there was a Game Watch article that indicated a 4870 was used so in the dev kit so I assume they would keep a 256-bit bus.

Keep in mind that 4870 was on 55nm. The equivalent on 40nm is essentially the 5770, which is well below the size that would allow for a 256-bit interface. Actually, a straight up 40nm 4870 should be even smaller than Juniper due to the latter's DX11 compliant specs.

Effect

Anyone else considering holding back on any big 3rd party purchases to see if they might show up on the Wii U? Granted some are a ways off and that number is limited at the moment but something like Skyrim has given me a bit of pause as much as I want it. There is always the idea of waiting for GOTY or collection versions with games like that. By the time DLC is released and a collection is scheduled to come out I would hope the Wii U would be out. I don't like to double dip usually as well so a choice at least on this game has to be made. I believe Bethesda has commented on possibly putting Skyrim on the system right?

I would think that would be an ideal game to try out the menu/inventory on the controller setup.

The lack of an L3 and R3 does bother me. Only because I think some developers might use that as an excuse not to put certain games on the system instead of working around it like they would be able to, especially with being able to map buttons to the touchscreen. I just rather there not be any excuses for developers/publishers this time around.

guek

Banned
Effect said:
Anyone else considering holding back on any big 3rd party purchases to see if they might show up on the Wii U? Granted some are a ways off and that number is limited at the moment but something like Skyrim has given me a bit of pause as much as I want it. There is always the idea of waiting for GOTY or collection versions with games like that. By the time DLC is released and a collection is scheduled to come out I would hope the Wii U would be out. I don't like to double dip usually as well so choice at least on this game has to be made. Hasn't Bethesda commented on possibly putting Skyrim on the system as well?

I would think that would be an ideal game to try out the menu/inventory on the controller setup.

The lack of an L3 and R3 does bother me. Only because I think some developers might use that as an excuse not to put certain games on the system instead of working around it like they would be able to, especially with being able to map buttons to the touchscreen. I just rather there not be any excuses for developers/publishers this time around.

I'll be waiting for wii U to buy arkham city (though a steam sale between now and then might cause me to pick it up on PC before then). I'll definitely be waiting for the wii U version of colonel marines. The same thing goes for ninja gaiden, but I'm not even sure if I'll be buying that one yet.

There's not that many games announced for the thing. It'll be getting all my multi-plat love though for sure.

As for L3/R3 buttons, I seriously don't understand what all the hubaloo is about. If millions of gamers can adapt to IR gaming, they'll be able to live without L3/R3 buttons. I hate clicky sticks anyway.

nickcv

walking fiend said:
yes, he was really crazy, it's not like he was intentionally trolling when he said stupid things; and he could get down from his horse much easily that a lot of other users. I don't think there's a guideline preventing manageable crazy people joining GAF.

totally agree with you fiend

Anyone else considering holding back on any big 3rd party purchases to see if they might show up on the Wii U? Granted some are a ways off and that number is limited at the moment but something like Skyrim has given me a bit of pause as much as I want it. There is always the idea of waiting for GOTY or collection versions with games like that. By the time DLC is released and a collection is scheduled to come out I would hope the Wii U would be out. I don't like to double dip usually as well so choice at least on this game has to be made. Hasn't Bethesda commented on possibly putting Skyrim on the system as well?

i don't have much money right now so i think i'm pretty much forced to wait :p

anyhow i'm glad about the lack of L3 and R3... clicky analogic can break more easily and i don't personally find them that comfortable

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
Effect said:
Anyone else considering holding back on any big 3rd party purchases to see if they might show up on the Wii U?
Yeah, I've been sort of considering not getting Skyward Sword until I can play it comfortably in my lap.

guek said:
I'll be waiting for wii U to buy arkham city (though a steam sale between now and then might cause me to pick it up on PC before then). I'll definitely be waiting for the wii U version of colonel marines. The same thing goes for ninja gaiden, but I'm not even sure if I'll be buying that one yet.

There's not that many games announced for the thing. It'll be getting all my multi-plat love though for sure.

As for L3/R3 buttons, I seriously don't understand what all the hubaloo is about. If millions of gamers can adapt to IR gaming, they'll be able to live without L3/R3 buttons. I hate clicky sticks anyway.
I'm 100% with you. Not owning an HD system makes it easier for me not to pick them up. Also gives me more time with Skyward Sword and Xenoblade.

Azure J

Effect said:
Anyone else considering holding back on any big 3rd party purchases to see if they might show up on the Wii U?

If Ultimate Marvel VS. Capcom 3 got confirmed to be on WiiU in some shape or form, I'd be in the same situation. :lol

meppi

walking fiend said:

Well that Sonic eyes color post guy comes to mind. ;)
Still find it weird he got the axe for that though.
So yeah, I'm not surprised at all to see a nutty member getting whacked.

They finally got BP? Wow.

lherre said:
Too much memory amount and memory types there ...

Man I asked you awhile back if the Nintendo ninjas has got you. Good to see you're ok. I guess I'll got back to my old 1GB of GDDR5 (Do like Epic and make sure they use 1.5GB lherre) and 64MB of 1T-SRAM spec then. :p

What version of the kit are you on now? I think you might be able to answer that without getting in trouble right?

Rolf NB said:
A quick check on current graphics cards indicates that GDDR5 tops out at around 1.4GHz (2.8GHz "effective"). Half of his predicted 5.something.
painful fart said:
Zero chance the memory will work at those frequencies, runs to hot. It is also very unlikely DDR3 will be used, way to slow.

Well the GDDR5 (and GPU core) was influenced by the 7000 series clock leaks due to a belief they would use VLIW4. Check out Thames and Lombok.

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/326113-33-radeon-7000-specs-leaked

As for the DDR3, that's why I also factored in quad channel for the increased bandwidth.

Based on lherre's response I'll go back to a memory amounts I mentioned before and see the GDDR5 at 1215Mhz and the GPU at 607.5Mhz.

That should allow the memory to have a BW of 155GB/s.

Kenka said:
DDR3 is RAM and GDDR5 would be VRAM in this case, right ? What are the consequences if the GDDR5 is clocked a 2.8 Ghz and not 5 as bg said ? Only the pixel fillrate would be halved right ? Does that mean we get only half the FPS for the same IQ ?

Fillrates are effected by the core clock, not memory clock from my understanding.

AlStrong said:
N-channel means Nx64-bit interfaces on the CPU. This is not particularly different from how GPUs achieve their ultimate memory bus widths (R6xx being the exception with its ringbus).

Right. I guess my response wasn't clear enough.

AlStrong said:
Keep in mind that 4870 was on 55nm. The equivalent on 40nm is essentially the 5770, which is well below the size that would allow for a 256-bit interface. Actually, a straight up 40nm 4870 should be even smaller than Juniper due to the latter's DX11 compliant specs.

What about the other GPUs that are also on 40nm, but still use a 256-bit bus? Asking for understanding.

guek

Banned
is BP permabanned or temp banned? I found his whole "sky is falling" rhetoric to be really grating, though I can't see how that got him banned now when he's gotten away with it for so long.

Jaded Alyx said:
So...how about that GTAV? NoA moneyhat for a timed exclusive, anyone?

The new GTA logo is a clear tongue in cheek hint that they've been moneyhatted to the moon. GTAV Wii U Exclusive Launch Title Confirmed.

You hear that, Kotaku? GIT ON IT

blu

Jaded Alyx said:
By the time that happens, all you'll have for company are cockroaches probably.
Yeah, but I won't care as I'll be playing Skyward Sword comfortably in my lap.

nickcv

guek said:
is BP permabanned or temp banned? I found his whole "sky is falling" rhetoric to be really grating, though I can't see how that got him banned now when he's gotten away with it for so long.

The new GTA logo is a clear tongue in cheek hint that they've been moneyhatted to the moon. GTAV Wii U Exclusive Launch Title Confirmed.

You hear that, Kotaku? GIT ON IT

where can i find that logo?

or is it just sarcasm? <.<

TheyTookOurJobs said:
Those controllers are gonna be EXPENSIVE and they'll be a shortage at launch like usual.

If I have a job, I might get one, but that would force me to overhaul my TV/Receiver setup and re-program my remote...
The controllers aren't going to be sold separately, they'll come as part of the game console pack.

Effect

nickcv said:
totally agree with you fiend

i don't have much money right now so i think i'm pretty much forced to wait :p

anyhow i'm glad about the lack of L3 and R3... clicky analogic can break more easily and i don't personally find them that comfortable

I don't actually like the L3 and R3 either. They are indeed uncomfortable and seem a bit unnatural for me. Ideally an action that would normally be mapped to a shoulder button or one of the face buttons would get a touch screen button and those L3 and R3 commands would get remapped to the free slots. They aren't needed I agree. However if the controller lacks them I just worry someone is going to use that as an excuse at some point. Then again maybe I'm taking to much of a negative view and there won't be anything to worry about.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
-WindYoshi- said:
They need to make an offer Rockstar cannot refuse.

ZAsyM.jpg

Effect

Having the city map on the controller would, in theory of course, make a Wii U version of the game automatically better for me. Especially during chase moments. Could make those moments more intense as well since there would be no need to pause to look at the map. Looking back and forth between the TV and the controller could be interesting or holding it up enough to view both. That's as unique as the Wii U version needs to be I feel as far as controls go.

Fantastical

Death Prophet
guek said:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=32123346&postcount=1

what more proof do you need? Like a PR statement and shit? pffft. Gonna go sell all of my MS and Sony stock now
Nintendo's got next gen in the bag. Sorry M$ and $ONY LOL. PlayStation 4? More like Suckstation 4. Xbox Loop? More like Xbox Poop.

Right guys?

If GTA V is not announced for Wii U imma be mad. Reggie, you're supposed to kick ass and take names!

TunaLover

Fantastical said:
Nintendo's got next gen in the bag. Sorry M$ and $ONY LOL. PlayStation 4? More like Suckstation 4. Xbox Loop? More like Xbox Poop.

Right guys?

If GTA V is not announced for Wii U imma be mad. Reggie, you're supposed to kick ass and take names!
Reggie wanted GTA for Wii back in the day, it was not money in the table, so R* said no, at least they release a game for DS, I'm not sure how close the relationship between both companies are right now.

But I agree, Nintendo needs fund somehow Wii U developments, if they wait for third parties coming for their own, they will not get support.

TunaLover

snesfreak said:
There really is no reason, at least not the predictable GAF "It's underpowered LOL!" crap that's gonna be spewed.

But there are many MANY others:
-Nintendo is for babies
-Only Nintendo games sell on Nintendo systems
-Nintendo doesn't have internet
-Nintendo userbase don't buy third party games
-Only party and family games sell on Nintendo systems
-Nintendo doesn't have multimedia capabilities
-Nintendo is for soccer moms
-Upad is a gimmick
-Senile Miyamoto isn't in touch with real gamers
-etc...

AzaK

Effect said:
Anyone else considering holding back on any big 3rd party purchases to see if they might show up on the Wii U?....

Yeah I'm waiting. I don't have the time or money to get and play all the goodies, so it's Skyrim and Skyward sword for me this year at most. If we find out Wii U is not out until end of next year and there's a special for something like Batman I might get that for my PS3 next year. Of course, I risk not being able to get it at all.

Clickable sticks don't bother me at all and in fact I think they are stupid; I really hope something like that isn't touted as an excuse not to port. However we do need some solution for running. Maybe it will be something as simple as tilt? Tilt the controller flatter to start running. Not sure if that would be unworkable or not.

lherre said:
Too much memory amount and memory types there ...
Bummer ;(

Effect said:
Anyone else considering holding back on any big 3rd party purchases to see if they might show up on the Wii U? Granted some are a ways off and that number is limited at the moment but something like Skyrim has given me a bit of pause as much as I want it. There is always the idea of waiting for GOTY or collection versions with games like that. By the time DLC is released and a collection is scheduled to come out I would hope the Wii U would be out. I don't like to double dip usually as well so a choice at least on this game has to be made. I believe Bethesda has commented on possibly putting Skyrim on the system right?
I don't know if Bethesda has said anything about it but I know I won't be able to wait for Skyrim. I already have it preordered (360) and know there will be sizeable DLC that would be in a potential Wii U GOTY edition. I will be waiting for Arkham City on Wii U because of the DLC problems it is having so getting it all together at once will be nice. I didn't play Arkham Asylum until a few months ago so I can wait. Might wait to see what this Assassin's Creed game is as well. If it is Revelations, I probably wont wait but if it is some collection or if it is III then I will go Wii U. I really just want Fallout 4 on Wii U.

lherre

Accurate
bgassassin said:
They finally got BP? Wow.

Man I asked you awhile back if the Nintendo ninjas has got you. Good to see you're ok. I guess I'll got back to my old 1GB of GDDR5 (Do like Epic and make sure they use 1.5GB lherre) and 64MB of 1T-SRAM spec then. :p

What version of the kit are you on now? I think you might be able to answer that without getting in trouble right?

Well the GDDR5 (and GPU core) was influenced by the 7000 series clock leaks due to a belief they would use VLIW4. Check out Thames and Lombok.

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/326113-33-radeon-7000-specs-leaked

As for the DDR3, that's why I also factored in quad channel for the increased bandwidth.

Based on lherre's response I'll go back to a memory amounts I mentioned before and see the GDDR5 at 1215Mhz and the GPU at 607.5Mhz.

That should allow the memory to have a BW of 155GB/s.

Fillrates are effected by the core clock, not memory clock from my understanding.

Right. I guess my response wasn't clear enough.

What about the other GPUs that are also on 40nm, but still use a 256-bit bus? Asking for understanding.

I'll try to check the latest info but I don't promise anything hehe. But I didn't see any 1T-SRAM there and not that amount of EDRAM in the graphic device.

JJConrad

Sucks at viral marketing
Effect said:
I don't actually like the L3 and R3 either. They are indeed uncomfortable and seem a bit unnatural for me. Ideally an action that would normally be mapped to a shoulder button or one of the face buttons would get a touch screen button and those L3 and R3 commands would get remapped to the free slots. They aren't needed I agree. However if the controller lacks them I just worry someone is going to use that as an excuse at some point. Then again maybe I'm taking to much of a negative view and there won't be anything to worry about.
The tablet has virtually hundreds of more buttons than any current console. If that is ever used as an excuse just take it as an admission of incompetence and write off that developer on principle.

AzaK

lherre said:
I'll try to check the latest info but I don't promise anything hehe. But I didn't see any 1T-SRAM there and not that amount of EDRAM in the graphic device.

Without wanting to pull a Burnt Pork, is this a bad sign?

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Not sure why lherre's information would be unexpected. I think everyone in the industry is expecting Nintendo to release an affordable HD console that's slightly better than current consoles and let their games do the selling. Microsoft and Sony are probably going to release more expensive powerhouses just like last time.

My guess is a Pokemon RPG is released at launch to help sell the system.

blu

Plinko said:
Not sure why lherre's information would be unexpected. I think everyone in the industry is expecting Nintendo to release an affordable HD console that's slightly better than current consoles and let their games do the selling. Microsoft and Sony are probably going to release more expensive powerhouses just like last time.

My guess is a Pokemon RPG is released at launch to help sell the system.
My guess is a price slash on day -128 and Iwata announcing a 'WiiU sitting duck' program.

MDX

AzaK said:
Without wanting to pull a Burnt Pork, is this a bad sign?

No.

Would it be smart to put that type of ram in an early dev kit?
If its an early dev kit that is being discussed...

MDX

Plinko said:

And then Nintendo does something unexpected.

lherre said:

No problem. I'll take whatever you're able to talk about.

guek

Banned
Reggie's going on GTTV to tease the GTAV announcement, I'm sure of it.

Also, lherre, can you comment on whether or not bgassassin's guess specs are even close or if they're way off?

I don't know if they've told them the clocks yet to know if they're close. I'm assuming no since he only commented on the amount of memory.

AceBandage said:
It'll likely be 100% 3DS/Zelda focused, though.
Maybe they'll sneak in a Wii U question, but he won't tell us anything.

Most likely it.

Also the guide schedule is saying Friday.

guek said:
Reggie's going on GTTV to tease the GTAV announcement, I'm sure of it.

Also, lherre, can you comment on whether or not bgassassin's guess specs are even close or if they're way off?
He won't tease shit, not worth it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom