• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GamesTM 115 Review Scores (Super Mario 3D Land)

Abooie

Banned
I'll soon (optimist) have thread creation privileges but before that time I thought here was as good as any for the new games(tm) issue 115 review scores. (Someone feel free to create a new thread if they want.)

Cover: Super Mario 3D Land
Specials: Zelda Anniversary Special, 3DS vs VITA, Interview with 343, Steve Jobs Tribute.

Reviews:

The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword 9/10 "Playing the Wii out in style"
Super Mario 3D Land 8/10 "A disappointment only by Mario's own high standards"
Forza 4 9/10 "As close as 50 quid will ever get you to a ferrari" and for mischief I'll add "Better than GT5"
Rage 9/10 "Showing the upstarts how it's done"
Ace Combat: Assault Horizon 8/10 "A thrilling new take on the dogflight"
Burnout Crash 6/10 "Fun in small doses"
WRC2 - FIA Rally Championship 2 6/10 "Less white knuckle, more white noise"
Trackmania 2: Canyon 7/10 "Fun, addictive, and may well improve with time"
The Cursed Crusade 4/10 "A laughable romp that fails spectacularly"
The Gunstringer 7/10 "An entertaining blast of Kinect silliness"
Renegade Ops 8/10 "Overblown, ludicrous and incredibly good fun"
BloodRayne: Betrayal 8/10 "A brawler with real bite"
X-Men: Destiny 3/10 "Destined for the bargain bin"
SkyDrift 5/10 "Fair to middling at best - A plane jane"
DoDonPachi Resurrection 8/10 "The true meaning of bullet hell"
Leedmees 4/10 "Certainly not one to follow"
Worms Crazy Golf 6/10 "Worth a shot"
Sesame Street: Once Upon a Monster 7/10 "Got kids? This will be right up their street"

RooMHM

Abooie said:
I'll soon (optimist) have thread creation privileges but before that time I thought here was as good as any for the new games(tm) issue 115 review scores. (Someone feel free to create a new thread if they want.)

Cover: Super Mario 3D Land
Specials: Zelda Anniversary Special, 3DS vs VITA, Interview with 343, Steve Jobs Tribute.

Reviews:

The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword 9/10 "Playing the Wii out in style"
Forza 4 9/10 "As close as 50 quid will ever get you to a ferrari" and for mischief I'll add "Better than GT5"
Rage 9/10 "Showing the upstarts how it's done"
Ace Combat: Assault Horizon 8/10 "A thrilling new take on the dogflight"
Burnout Crash 6/10 "Fun in small doses"
WRC2 - FIA Rally Championship 2 6/10 "Less white knuckle, more white noise"
Trackmania 2: Canyon 7/10 "Fun, addictive, and may well improve with time"
The Cursed Crusade 4/10 "A laughable romp that fails spectacularly"
The Gunstringer 7/10 "An entertaining blast of Kinect silliness"
Renegade Ops 8/10 "Overblown, ludicrous and incredibly good fun"
BloodRayne: Betrayal 8/10 "A brawler with real bite"
X-Men: Destiny 3/10 "Destined for the bargain bin"
SkyDrift 5/10 "Fair to middling at best - A plane jane"
DoDonPachi Resurrection 8/10 "The true meaning of bullet hell"
Leedmees 4/10 "Certainly not one to follow"
Worms Crazy Golf 6/10 "Worth a shot"
Sesame Street: Once Upon a Monster 7/10 "Got kids? This will be right up their street"
Well they seem enthuasiastic these guys. *looks at rage, zelda and forza comments*

Abooie said:

21mt55v.gif

Dr.Hadji

Abooie said:

They gave NSMB and NSMB Wii both an 8 as well. Given that Bros. Wii is one of the best in the series I wonder what 'high standards' they're referring to?

Sadist

Dr.Hadji said:
They gave NSMB and NSMB Wii both an 8 as well. Given that Bros. Wii is one of the best in the series I wonder what 'high standards' they're referring to?
Wii game got a 7.

solarus

Abooie said:
:( I know it will still be a great game, but I was hoping for another galaxy quality game.
EDIT: Just saw the Rage score. Wat too high

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
I'll gladly take an 8/10 Mario game after the unthinkably low ratings some places gave NSMB Wii.

A shame if Super Mario 3DS lives up to the disappointing reviews, all the footage so far looks too safe with little in the way of surprise. Levels made out of a giant sprite, manipulating time as you take on colossal thwomps, kicking meteorites into a certain nemesis' face, if only the new game had that level of epic madness.

I like GamesTM although their list of 10s seems to work like a slot machine.

* Metroid Prime (Agreed)
* Burnout 3
* Gears of War
* God of War II
* Bioshock
* Grand Theft Auto IV
* Fallout 3
* Demon's Souls
* Mass Effect 2
* Super Mario Galaxy 2 (Agreed)
* LittleBigPlanet 2 (Agreed)
* Dead Space 2

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
Plinko said:
I'll gladly take an 8/10 Mario game after the unthinkably low ratings some places gave NSMB Wii.

This game is going to suffer for a lot of people due to typically unrealistic expectations. I realized it wasn't going to be like Galaxy the moment they showed it; different kind of game, different purpose.

Some fans do need to accept that it's okay to have a some merely "great" entries in a series in addition to the few titles which become legends due to a perfect storm of circumstances surrounding their development.

Asking that 3D Land be another Galaxy is a bit like asking one of the portable Zeldas to be Skyward Sword.

Medalion

Banned
For a from the ground up Mario for a portable gaming system it's almost like a greatest hits of the console Marios which makes it the most amazing portable Mario but an alright console Mario if that makes any sense?

Kaijima said:
This game is going to suffer for a lot of people due to typically unrealistic expectations. I realized it wasn't going to be like Galaxy the moment they showed it; different kind of game, different purpose.

Some fans do need to accept that it's okay to have a some merely "great" entries in a series in addition to the few titles which become legends due to a perfect storm of circumstances surrounding their development.

Asking that 3D Land be another Galaxy is a bit like asking one of the portable Zeldas to be Skyward Sword.

Perhaps portable entries of series can't hope to compete in terms of technical complexity, but portable =/ not great. It's perfectly possible to have a game brimming with brilliant ideas that works around the limitations of the hardware. Link's Awakening is a seminal Zelda game, portable or not.

I have not played 3D Land at any great length to make a judgment either way (played it for about 5 minutes at the Eurogamer Expo), but there is no reason that this could not have been a top-tier game, which for all I know it might be.

Medalion said:
For a from the ground up Mario for a portable gaming system it's almost like a greatest hits of the console Marios which makes it the most amazing portable Mario but an alright console Mario if that makes any sense?

So its basically Super Mario Sunshine?

NINTENDO HOW DARE YOU RUIN MY FAMILY VACATION

Ezduo

Banned
LeonSKennedy90 said:
So its basically Super Mario Sunshine?

NINTENDO HOW DARE YOU RUIN MY FAMILY VACATION
Fuck everything, I want another Sunshine before we get another Galaxy.

HATE ON HATERS

skyfinch

Sunglasses_shock.gif

Yoboman

Gold Member

iZ8r83mLA0vOu.gif

PowderedToast

King of the Potato People said:
A shame if Super Mario 3DS lives up to the disappointing reviews, all the footage so far looks too safe with little in the way of surprise. Levels made out of a giant sprite, manipulating time as you take on colossal thwomps, kicking meteorites into a certain nemesis' face, if only the new game had that level of epic madness.

I like GamesTM although their list of 10s seems to work like a slot machine.

* Metroid Prime (Agreed)
* Burnout 3
* Gears of War
* God of War II
* Bioshock
* Grand Theft Auto IV
* Fallout 3
* Demon's Souls
* Mass Effect 2
* Super Mario Galaxy 2 (Agreed)
* LittleBigPlanet 2 (Agreed)
* Dead Space 2
the quality of a critic isn't determined by how much you agree with them, but whether anything is learned from their critique. the best you can hope for is that you come out with a newfound appreciation for the work in question, and one that may have never arrived at by yourself.

but atm i don't think anybody qualifies for that term in this industry.

You guys are highlighting the Forza review instead of the Skyward Sword one? There's like a whole side of GAF that I never see full of people that care about car games.

Apath

Spiffy_1st said:
You guys are highlighting the Forza review instead of the Skyward Sword one? There's like a whole side of GAF that I never see full of people that care about car games.
Exclusive* car games. If either or both of these games (GT5 and FM4) were multiplat, I doubt anyone would give a fuck besides the people that legitimately play these type of games all the time.

Penguin

Kaijima said:

I've accepted this wasn't a new Galaxy game. And never wanted/needed it to be a new Galaxy.

Reviews and even the comment fall in line with my thoughts.

This will be a great game, but in terms of the Mario series, would be closer to Sunshine for me. Fine game, just not a special Mario.

dwu8991

Banned
Penguin said:
I've accepted this wasn't a new Galaxy game. And never wanted/needed it to be a new Galaxy.

This will be a great game, but in terms of the Mario series, would be closer to Sunshine for me. Fine game, just not a special Mario.

How dare you compare 3D Mario Land to Sunshine.

Medalion

Banned
Penguin said:

You've played and beaten it already?

Top Bottom