• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Skyward Sword review thread [Newest Reviews - Cubed3 10/10, GC: A, AusGamers: 7/10]

Smellycat said:
So far:

EDGE: 10
ONM: 98
GamesTM: 9
Gamepro (DE): 93

average: 95.25

FLOP

i think it's save to say that SS will not be the highest scoring game ever and probably not even the highest scoring game this year.

preorder canceled

Alextended said:
What's wrong with you?
Crunched said:
I'm glad you caught that. I skimmed right over it.
You probably know it, but it's was sort of gag on my part regarding the state of the PC side of gaming when some times the pirates get a better experience than the legit buyers.

Maybe not in GAF case, but the majority of the people using the Dolphin emulator use "illegally" riped games. Now, you probably would say "where's your source refreshment?" Which i would just reply... it's just human nature. The very use of the emulation incentivates the person to try lots of games he might not have the chance to access other wise.
DaBuddaDa said:
Watching a cutscene unfold wherein characters speak in serious tones in a made up language with subtitles would be the worst thing imaginable from both sides. Again, a lot of you are so unflinchingly locked in the idea that the only way to tell a story is to mimic movies that I think it's a lost cause at this point. There is so much to it than that and you're not grasping it. Either a failure of communication on my part or a failure of understanding on yours.
This reply is inconsistent in many levels DaBuddaDa. A list:
1. Zelda does mimic movies to advance the plot because it relies on non interactive cinematics or ones that take away the player control.
2. Not having dialog doesn't elude the status of movie. At some time they were silent movies with no sound at all. Still to this days those are considered movies.
3. And yet again repeating, there are other games that use the pseudo/ invented language perfectly for the history sequences. Nintendo even has used something similar through the series with an increasing use of gibberish.

Let's hope the failure of understanding is vanquished now.
beelzebozo said:
that's essentially how i perceive the minimalism of the gibberish. you just have to listen to less jibba-jibba-bub-bub-gob-bub-job-lep. look at the difference between WW and OKAMI. the latter was insufferable.
Ico did this thing well in 2001. Nintendo could pull it of as well.
walking fiend said:
Well, that has already been done in the series: Midna
As i have stated in a million other posts already. It something that works for the Zelda game and could be amplified with no problems.

walking fiend said:
Character development =/= plot development.
And? First there's not much character development in Zelda games compared to other games or genres most focused in plot. Yet, the fact still remains that having a voice over won't affect negatively any character development, more over imagining how a character would sound doesn't affect his development through the narrative.
walking fiend said:
How is this a small distinction that 95% of the characters doesn't speak? Actually, I could tolerate 30 Seconds of Zelda being voiced if that was 'only' at the ending and beginning of the game anyway, if this is what you mean.
It's small because it doesn't change what im saying. In ICO every intervention of the main antagonist is voiced.
walking fiend said:
Really? What kind of stereotypic character does Ghirahim represent? What about Tingle?! I mean, come on! But let's assume you are correct.

These sterotypics change from game to game, Zelda in Phantom Hourglass is worlds apart from the one in Twilight Princess, it would really hurt the series to use difference voice actors or with different tones and moods each time.
This reply doesn't change the fact that most characters are stereotypes in Zelda games. Anyway, the argument above that it would hurt the series doesn't make any sense to me. Like you said, many of the returning characters are supposed to be different people from different time periods, this same characters accommodate new traits that are conveyed with the dialog. The same would apply with voice acting.

Or do you think Nintendo hurt the series when Tetra has different traits than the one in a Link to the past?
walking fiend said:
I haven't played ICO, but I wouldn't be surprised if Mario speaks more words that what we heard in the whole of SotC; as I said, the whole voice over was VERY limited in duration, and TOTALLY limited in the sense that it never happened between the beginning and the ending.
That's not the case, plot related cut scenes are voiced in both ICO and Shadow through the course of the game.

Why bring Mario into the discussion, the series focus is so far away from story development as you could get.

That's not the case, plot related cut scenes are voiced in both ICO and Shadow through the course of the game.
SotC has less than 1 minute of VA at the beginning and the ending of the game; that's about it, that's all the VA in the game.

As i have stated in a million other posts already. It something that works for the Zelda game and could be amplified with no problems.
What do you mean by being amplified? It's already in the game as much as designers feel will suite the game.

And? First there's not much character development in Zelda games compared to other games or genres most focused in plot. Yet, the fact still remains that having a voice over won't affect negatively any character development, more over imagining how a character would sound doesn't affect his development through the narrative.
Zelda games don't have character development and VA can't effect character development? ah, ok...

It's small because it doesn't change what im saying. In ICO every intervention of the main antagonist is voiced.
Just because ICO has VA every other game should as well? What kind of logic is this?

And you are implying whether Zelda, Ganondorf, Link, Ghirahim, etc, speak won't change a fact and is small detail? So what are you arguing for or against anyway? You want Zelda to have spoken intro and outro without any character in the middle of the game speaking? OK, that's not really something which I am inherently against as long as it is done good. And anyway, SotC is sotC and Zelda is Zelda... but it's not as if any post 2000 game has to have VA to be amazing.

Jax said:
I guess voice acting will be aokay for LOZ games when Nintendo decides their games need to catch up to 2008 .... always playing catch up. Til then they won't know how to write/voice/cast voice actors or get anything less horrible than the stuff in super mario sunshine. "mmmarrio"?

this thread made me google twilight princess Meta score.

http://www.metacritic.com/game/wii/the-legend-of-zelda-twilight-princess ... 95.

95? It was a pretty mediocre game. wow. 95? Now, I honestly don't think LOZ games can/will be reviewed objectively.
Could you recommend me some more Mediocre games in the vein of twilight princess?

Calibur

Sn4ke_911 said:
Just a quick reminder.

Dy82j.png

It ain't worth watching Reggie is not gonna spill any new Wii U info, this tight lipped Nintendo approach that used to work in the early days, doesn't work now!

BY2K

Membero Americo
Calibur said:
It ain't worth watching Reggie is not gonna spill any new Wii U info, this tight lipped Nintendo approach that used to work in the early days, doesn't work now!

I'm not watching it for the Wii U, I'm watching it for Zelda and 3D Land and Kart 7. But mostly Zelda.

BY2K

Membero Americo
Wait, who said there was no overworld map? Do they mean a conventional overworld, like field? They don't like the Sky?

walking fiend said:
SotC has less than 1 minute of VA at the beginning and the ending of the game; that's about it, that's all the VA in the game.
Every time you return to the temple after downing a colossus theres a cut scene with the god like entity that compels the protagonist to push on forward. Plus i'll say it again, in ICO every cutscene is voiced through out the game. And there are many other games that handle the VA like ICO and Shadow of the Colossus, there's no point for you to counter my arguments because they don't function 100% like im saying. Im just mentioning those 2 as an example because they are the ones more fresh in my memory. Other games employ invented language fully through out the plot.
walking fiend said:
What do you mean by being amplified? It's already in the game as much as designers feel will suite the game.
Obvious, is as much as the designers wanted to employ, why bring that up? Anyway by amplified im referring to extend this type of VA to the other characters.
walking fiend said:
Zelda games don't have character development and VA can't effect character development? ah, ok...
No need to cause misunderstandings or confusion. I didn't say that at all in that post, i said Zelda games tend to have less character development than other genres where plot its more at the forefront of the experience. It was a very clear post.
walking fiend said:
Just because ICO has VA every other game should as well? What kind of logic is this?

And you are implying whether Zelda, Ganondorf, Link, Ghirahim, etc, speak won't change a fact and is small detail? So what are you arguing for or against anyway? You want Zelda to have spoken intro and outro without any character in the middle of the game speaking? OK, that's not really something which I am inherently against as long as it is done good. And anyway, SotC is sotC and Zelda is Zelda... but it's not as if any post 2000 game has to have VA to be amazing.
You are making some asumptions.

I just suggested the ICO example because its a very clever way to handle dialog in a Zelda game and avoids some of the issues some posters have expressed against VA. It's even a way that has been employed by Nintendo, although sparingly, so far.

Somebody shut down Metacritic for god's sake. I didn't even realize somebody could find joy in repeatedly tapping F5 to see a score change until I read the infamous Uncharted 3 thread. Ludicrous.

Hiltz

There is an overworld map but not sure about one for the sky. Apparently, there is no mini map on the hud but instead Nintendo has designed it so we'll be using the dowsing rod ability to find our way through areas.

Refreshment.01 said:
Every time you return to the temple after downing a colossus theres a cut scene with the god like entity that compels the protagonist to push on forward. Plus i'll say it again, in ICO every cutscene is voiced through out the game. And there are many other games that handle the VA like ICO and Shadow of the Colossus, there's no point for you to counter my arguments because they don't function 100% like im saying. Im just mentioning those 2 as an example because they are the ones more fresh in my memory. Other games employ invented language fully through out the plot.

Obvious, is as much as the designers wanted to employ, why bring that up? Anyway by amplified im referring to extend this type of VA to the other characters.

No need to cause misunderstandings or confusion. I didn't say that at all in that post, i said Zelda games tend to have less character development than other genres where plot its more at the forefront of the experience. It was a very clear post.

You are making some asumptions.

I just suggested the ICO example because its a very clever way to handle dialog in a Zelda game and avoids some of the issues some posters have expressed against VA. It's even a way that has been employed by Nintendo, although sparingly, so far.
Do you know what you brought up ICO and SotC yourself then? They are really not Zelda like games (unlike, say, Okami). I don't get what you mean anyway, unless that you may actually make game that 95% of the character/length of the game lacks VA, and the rest of 5% does. And then I wonder how you want this to translate to Zelda? Unlike SotC, Zelda doesn't have a god like creature that bosses you around so you give only voice to him/her. However, a side-kick like Midna is always with you and she has VA.
(btw, I had forgotten about those between colossus cut-scenes, but that's just only one character - and very brief still)

Once you go voice, you can never go back
Unless no-one plays the game; I won't be surprised to have voice-less Samus back at all, tbh lol

Dr.Hadji

Hiltz said:
There is an overworld map but not sure about one for the sky. Apparently, there is no mini map on the hud but instead Nintendo has designed it so we'll be using the dowsing rod ability to find our way through areas.

Good, that map was so big in TP I've grown to hate it. Didn't have it in WW and things were more adventurous for it.

BY2K said:
Wait, who said there was no overworld map? Do they mean a conventional overworld, like field? They don't like the Sky?
GamePro gave the game 93%

Cons-

Aliasing, low detailed textures
Samples instead of voices (regarding voice acting)
No overworld map
I know there's a map for each individual area but not having a map for the sky would be pretty weird. I also thought we have seen pics of sky overworld map. So I'm confused.

RPGCrazied

I know about the item ring. But will this game have a menu? Like to show quest info, heart containers found and stuff. TP even had mail you could read from the NPC's.

I have yet to see any screen of that.

walking fiend said:
Do you know what you brought up ICO and SotC yourself then? They are really not Zelda like games (unlike, say, Okami).
The debate about how different gameplay mechanics are between ICO/Shadow/Zelda its another matter altogether. However the treatment of the cinematics and the way they are used to advance the plot is quiet similar on these games, to the point they both use the text to let the player know exactly what's going on. Yet having an artistic language makes it a lot cooler in many people's opinions.
Lord_Byron28 said:
I know there's a map for each individual area but not having a map for the sky would be pretty weird. I also thought we have seen pics of sky overworld map. So I'm confused.
I think they refer to the environment itself, not the cartographic chart. In the sense that the sky is too sparse or empty, like the sea in Wind Waker.

Hiltz

Okay, there is both a world map and a sky map.

The map screen for the sky is shown in last month's trailer 41 seconds in.

http://www.officialnintendomagazine.co.uk/30662/zelda-skyward-sword-video-shows-map/

Here's a screen shot of it.

http://www.zeldainformer.com/images/news/Sky_SS_map.jpg

This appears to be an image of a mini map zoomed in for an individual area. However, this version is from E3 2010 demo so it may have changed a bit.

http://browse.deviantart.com/?qh=&section=&q=skyward+sword+map#/d36lg5f

Majukun

well if all the problems of this game are the lack of voice acting (in a zelda?) and shallow graphics (on a wii?),i'm more than happy

Pseudo_Sam

Survives without air, food, or water
Ifrit said:

This obsession Zelda fans have with wanting "more difficulty" is enraging. WTF would you want to die a hundred times for? How is that not just incredibly frustrating? Whenever I die repeatedly in a game I shelve it.

I play a Zelda game to explore and have fun. Different strokes I guess.

Pseudo_Sam said:
This obsession Zelda fans have with wanting "more difficulty" is enraging. WTF would you want to die a hundred times for? How is that not just incredibly frustrating? Whenever I die repeatedly in a game I shelve it.

Well if you want it tougher, just don't grab heart containers or carry fairies around. Or play the second quest.

Anth0ny

Pseudo_Sam said:

Whenever I die I get frustrated. And I try again. and again. and again.

eventually, I beat it.

and feel like a GOD

Hard parts in games are memorable, and beating said parts are rewarding. When a game has no challenge, and you don't feel any sense of accomplishment, the game is FORGETTABLE.
Twilight Princess says hi

Ifrit

Pseudo_Sam said:

Well I have fun conquering challenging battles.

I don't want it to be incredibly hard like Ninja Gaiden (even though I personally enjoy those games), but I at least want to feel some danger when an imposing enemy or boss appears, I basically don't want it to be piss easy like WW already is, but hey different strokes I guess.

That doesn't mean they couldn't at least add a difficulty option

Pseudo_Sam said:

Nintendo should accommodate the player that wants a higher difficulty level via an ingame option. It's something that wouldn't take a significant development time. Just make some adjustments to damage dealt and received by enemies, quicker reactions and some extra cycles to take the bosses down. Some of the people that played the series for years feel that a good compromise for the difficulty should be around Link to the past level.

Ifrit

Refreshment.01 said:
Nintendo should accommodate the player that wants a higher difficulty level via an ingame option. It's something that wouldn't take a significant development time. Just make some adjustments to damage dealt and received by enemies, quicker reactions and some extra cycles to take the bosses down. Some of the people that played the series for years feel that a good compromise for the difficulty should be around Link to the past level.

Yeah, I would be ok with that, did anyone lose a hundred times in that game?

Anth0ny

kayos90 said:
I want a game with the difficulty of MM. I wonder if that's too much.

MM or LTTP is the sweet spot I think. The NES games are too hard. Everything else is too easy.

That being said, the dungeon above the clouds in Minish Cap is kicking my ass right now!

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Got my Wii in the mail yesterday. One step closer to Skyward Sword.

oQjlM.jpg

Someone put Link's cap on the kid's head.

Kard8p3

Anth0ny said:
Whenever I die I get frustrated. And I try again. and again. and again.

eventually, I beat it.

and feel like a GOD

Hard parts in games are memorable, and beating said parts are rewarding. When a game has no challenge, and you don't feel any sense of accomplishment, the game is FORGETTABLE.
Twilight Princess says hi

Wind Waker was easier than TP and it's not forgettable in the slightest.

Red

Why is it that everyone knows exactly what a Zelda game should be?

To those saying the series is not about difficulty: was OoT your first Zelda experience?

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
omg.kittens said:
Got my Wii in the mail yesterday. One step closer to Skyward Sword.

oQjlM.jpg

Someone put Link's cap on the kid's head.
Buy Sin and Punishment 2. Actually there's a ton of games you have to catch up with.

Kard8p3

Crunched said:
Why is it that everyone knows exactly what a Zelda game should be?

To those saying the series is not about difficulty: was OoT your first Zelda experience?

My first was A Link to the Past and that game wasn't hard from a combat perspective. The only Zelda games that I find difficulty are the NES games.

Hiltz

GamePro Germany reviews:

The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword – 93%
WWE ’12 – 90%
Super Mario 3D Land – 92%
Sonic Generations – 87%
NBA 2K12 – 93%
X-Men: Destiny – 54%
Spider-Man: Edge of Time – 68%
Harvest Moon: Grand Bazaar – 77%

Red

Kard8p3 said:
My first was A Link to the Past and that game wasn't hard from a combat perspective. The only Zelda games that I find difficulty are the NES games.
A Link to the Past is a good intro, and still a fair bit tougher than the 3d titles. I'm not trying to say what Zelda is or isn't, only what it has been in the past.

jonno394

Zelda (NES) was my first title and i've played everything chronologically since then, and as such no Zelda has been that hard since the first couple (barring a few annoying dungeons like the sky level in TP) as the formula, bosses, puzzles etc have all remained mostly the same, but that is not a bad thing as I play the game for the experience of a new Zelda.

However, SS excites me a lot as it seems to have shaken things up a lot in terms of exploration, puzzle design etc, and I really cannot wait to get stuck in and stumped byy a new type of puzzle!

Dr.Hadji

Hiltz said:
GamePro Germany reviews:

The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword – 93%
WWE ’12 – 90%
Super Mario 3D Land – 92%
Sonic Generations – 87%

NBA 2K12 – 93%
X-Men: Destiny – 54%
Spider-Man: Edge of Time – 68%
Harvest Moon: Grand Bazaar – 77%

Finally Mario gets a 90+ review and Sonic can never get the best of Mario huh?

Top Bottom