• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim |OT| Het Kos Dovahhe

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr YuYu

For the belgian/dutch people amongst us:

You can buy Skyrim TODAY in the Game Mania! I just called them to verify.

Have a nice evening :)

Lakitu

st5fu
Mr YuYu said:

Lucky!

Holy crap... I just saw a picture of (weapon spoilers)
the legendary Daedric sword. It does 73 damage.

Donat

Neo Member
Ok, this is strange. I tried to replicate the texture bug and the following occurred:
While the game is installed to the HDD and you load an auto-save the textures are fine.
While the game is installed to the HDD and you load a normal save the textures are low-res.
While the game is running of the DVD and you load an auto-save or a normal save the textures are (even more? (have to try it again to confirm)) low-res.
I will try installing to my USB drive later.

The load times are about two times as long when not installed.
It was also mentioned that the game stutters when opening books but I only had this once while having read maybe 50 books.
And in about 10 hours I have yet to encounter a single bug (well, except for the texture one).

Lakitu

st5fu
Donat said:
Ok, this is strange. I tried to replicate the texture bug and the following occurred:
While the game is installed to the HDD and you load an auto-save the textures are fine.
While the game is installed to the HDD and you load a normal save the textures are low-res.
While the game is running of the DVD and you load an auto-save or a normal save the textures are (even more? (have to try it again to confirm)) low-res.
I will try installing to my USB drive later.

The load times are about two times as long when not installed.
It was also mentioned that the game stutters when opening books but I only had this once while having read maybe 50 books.
And in about 10 hours I have yet to encounter a single bug (well, except for the texture one).

This is troubling. Have you had the patch yet?

JAFAR

Kuraudo said:
SPOILERS, probably:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=edSN9Y7yLGg

Had no idea these were in :)

mega116.png

My hype just went to 11.

Ryan_

Mr YuYu said:

Damn, it's too soon! I still have school this week!

I must hold off and wait for the epic weekend to come. Thank god, we all have a day off on the 11th of November.

Donat

Neo Member
Mastperf said:
So you're getting low res textures all the time when running off of dvd?
Try clearing your hdd cache and see if it helps.

Yes, but I play without the patch. I can't connect the 360 to the router right now.
Edit: After clearing the system cache the textures are loading correctly from the DVD and the HDD, thanks for the idea.

Dries

Making sure: PC (Steam) users have to wait till friday to play the game, right? Even store-bought copies need to wait?

Got a message I can come pick up the game today. It's the PC version though. Can't play it untill 11.11.11 because of Steam right? Le sigh.

MMaRsu

Banned
Skyrim Ps3 version in da house! Ok..so it's not really a cloth map but it's not normal paper.

Impressions soon my friends, day one patch is already here as well!

NBtoaster

Steam countdown says 2 days 3 hours for me. Which would make it Friday 2am, New Zealand time. But isn't that thursday in the US??

Mastperf

Donat said:
Yes, but I play without the patch. I can't connect the 360 to the router right now.
Edit: After clearing the system cache the textures are loading correctly from the DVD and the HDD, thanks for the idea.
Wow... I was actually right. :O
First Skyrim is out this week and then I guess about a solution and I'm actually right.
It's the old Gamebryo cache problem rearing it's ugly head again. I had to delete my cache every hour or so with New Vegas just to keep loading to a sane level. The good news is this should be easily fixable with a patch. Lets hope the first patch does just that.
Thanks for being kind enough to throw us poor and desperate souls a bone.:)

MMaRsu

Banned
OK FIRST IMPRESSION = BAD

Put the disc in, it asks me to update. I do that, then it installs and gives me a starting error. It returns to the XMB where I can't launch the disc and the name is - Uhh wtf?

Reset my ps3 and it's installing now tho :p.

ZeroRay

So any PS3 footage?

These past few months had me not as enthused about gaming as I had been due to work stress and school.

Uncharted 3 and Dark Souls were great games, but I didn't really enjoy them as much as I would have, and I'm struggling to even muster the will to start playing Batman. Hopefully Skyrim breaks me out of it, or I might just save it 'till my semester is finished.

MMaRsu said:
OK FIRST IMPRESSION = BAD

Put the disc in, it asks me to update. I do that, then it installs and gives me a starting error. It returns to the XMB where I can't launch the disc and the name is - Uhh wtf?

Reset my ps3 and it's installing now tho :p.

Oh my, looks like Bethesda and Sony Cert didn't test the patch as it should have.

branny

MMaRsu said:
Skyrim Ps3 version in da house! Ok..so it's not really a cloth map but it's not normal paper.

Impressions soon my friends, day one patch is already here as well!
Yes, please.

The PS3 version is the most enigmatic. We need more info. :(

So far, IIRC:
-"Getting a ton of attention"
-"PS3 owners don't fret"
-Random stuttering while autosaving

Abylim

Havent read every post, but theres an EB in loganhome (Queensland Aus) thats breaking the street date supposedly tomorrow.
Sorry if everyone has the game already, but for my fellow Aus gaffers it might help out.
Also, if one store breaks the date, anywhere will sell!

Sooo hyped for this goddamn game!

Marco1

GhaleonEB said:
I wish it was my parenting skills. :lol

My daughter is scary-smart, and while I'll take some credit as the source of 1/2 of her genes, it's all her. Natalie soaks up information like a sponge. She knew the alphabet at 15 months, was sight reading at age 2, was sleeping with a dictionary under her pillow at age 5, reading almanacks and encyclopedias at age 6 and full sized novels at age 7. She plows through around 500 pages a week, easy, and tests in the top 0.1% for reading in the state for kids her age.

Yes, this is a parental brag post. :p I wish I could take credit, but a big part of parenting is just stepping back and watching the kid go, and trying to nudge her in directions she seems to want to go in.

Me, I love that I have such a fluent gamer at such a young age.
Well done Ghaleon. well done.

Fjordson

Donat said:
So clearing cache helped with the texture problem? Even with it installed?

NBtoaster said:
Steam countdown says 2 days 3 hours for me. Which would make it Friday 2am, New Zealand time. But isn't that thursday in the US??

The game will unlock according to three different regions
Australia, UK/Europe, and US. Each region will unlock at 12:01am Friday. It looks like the New Zealand unlock will happen on the Aussie EST at 12:01, which would be Friday 2am in NZ.

Johnny2Bags said:
MY mind is Shattered that NOBODY out there who has the game.. is willing to try and BETTER their experience by at least TRYING to uninstall and reinstall after downloading the patch... I mean my holy christ either the game is that good that they can't stop playing for ten minutes.....or people are willing to play a triple A game with subpar graphics for absolutely no reason.. This makes me both sad and extremely irritated...

Deep breathing exercises. Engage in them.

MMaRsu

Banned
Ok so far the Ps3 version seems really good, I noticed one little hitch in the intro section during a cutscene but I think it was either loading something or saving.. So far no tearing that I can see, framerate is good but not locked 30 fps or anything I dont think. Visuals are really good, the only thing I didnt like so far were the kinda stumpy animations of npc characters running, a bit blocky shadows while picking up a book and equipping a fire spell.

Controls take some getting used to, but hell I only played it for about an hour so far or maybe a bit more. Made a dark elf character, and Im uploading a vid I shot with my GS2 onto youtube. But the video kind of sucks lol. Game seems GREAT so far tho. Combat is meatier than Oblivion, much more feedback.

fuck-yeah.jpg

Biggzy

I would appreciate it if any one who has the guide can give their imprecisions about it. I have I pre-ordered it along with the game, but I just want a heads up on the quality of the guide.

Donat

Neo Member
Fjordson said:
So clearing cache helped with the texture problem? Even with it installed?
Yes, it did.

Mastperf said:
Wow... I was actually right. :O
First Skyrim is out this week and then I guess about a solution and I'm actually right.
It's the old Gamebryo cache problem rearing it's ugly head again. I had to delete my cache every hour or so with New Vegas just to keep loading to a sane level. The good news is this should be easily fixable with a patch. Lets hope the first patch does just that.
Thanks for being kind enough to throw us poor and desperate souls a bone.:)
For what it is worth I did not notice longer loading times the longer I played. But then again I only played for about 10 hours.

NBtoaster

Sutton Dagger said:
Australia, UK/Europe, and US. Each region will unlock at 12:01am Friday. It looks like the New Zealand unlock will happen on the Aussie EST at 12:01, which would be Friday 2am in NZ.

Sounds good to me!

Lakitu

st5fu
To those who ordered from Game and had their game dispatched, did they give you a tracking number? Because they didn't give me one.

Twinduct

Sutton Dagger said:

Oh shit, This would be great! Gonna take off Friday if true!

DodgerSan

Lakitu said:
To those who ordered from Game and had their game dispatched, did they give you a tracking number? Because they didn't give me one.
They never usually do, unless you're paying for next day delivery.

Rimfya

Banned
Genjikage said:
Havent read every post, but theres an EB in loganhome (Queensland Aus) thats breaking the street date supposedly tomorrow.
Sorry if everyone has the game already, but for my fellow Aus gaffers it might help out.
Also, if one store breaks the date, anywhere will sell!

Sooo hyped for this goddamn game!
Awesome. If it Breaks at one shop it'll break everywhere.

I wonder what will be considered canon: the player siding with the empire or the nationalists? I sincerely hope it's the latter, as I'm tired of the games' stance on imperialism.

Lakitu

st5fu
AuthenticM said:
I wonder what will be considered canon: the player siding with the empire or the nationalists? I sincerely hope it's the latter, as I'm tired of the games' stance on imperialism.

Yeah, it'd be interesting. I'm sick of the Imperial scum (
especially since they outlawed all worship of Talos.
).

GDJustin said:
So, I don't mean to come off as too negative. I'm just saying... even with the awesome new interface, (I loooove it), the awesome new perk/leveling system (ditto), the much-improved lockpicking minigame, the improved crafting... even with all that, this is still an Oblivion sequel. This basically feels like a better, more refined version of that game. I don't think it will win over Oblivion's detractors, based on my first few hours.

Not so sure. I know plenty of people that didn't like Oblivion simply because of some systems they fixed from Oblivion to FO3 and have now carried over to Skyrim.

coopolon

Gamer @ Heart said:
I cant believe i did what i just did. I canceled my skyrim preorder that has been on amazon for 6 months. I put 300+ hours into Oblivion, and here i am delaying getting the sequel. This day i would have never predicted.

I looked at my finances and i can only barely justify buying two games this month. Zelda (CD only comes in the first batch) and Saints Row (because of all the stupid fucking preorder shit that i can not deny I want, also co op) because the preorder gives me 10 bucks credit to get zelda cheaper. Skyrim would just eat away at every other game for weeks when i should be trying to find more work in between my game time. This post is me rationalizing delaying fun. To put words to my thoughts. God i hope i dont break. This would be SOOO much easier if Skyrim didnt come out first. Oh man.

/blog

You're actually doing it right. All of us who are getting it day 1 are being overhyped fools. It's a Bethesda game, so it is guaranteed to be significantly better in a month or two. And cheaper.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom