• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game Informer December Reviews

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
It sounds like Hulk Hogan’s Main Event is excellent.

NintendoEverything said:
Rayman Origins – 8.5
Saints Row: The Third – 9
Battlefield 3 (PC) – 9.5
Battlefield 3 (PS3/360) – 9.25
Need for Speed: The Run – 7.75
The Lord of the Rings: War in the North – 5.5
Spider-Man: Edge of Time – 6.5
Sonic Generations – 6.75
Disney Universe – 6.5
Skylanders: Spyro’s Adventure – 8
The Sims 3: Pets – 7.5
Rocksmith – 8.25
Ace Combat: Assault Horizon – 8.25
Payday: The Heist (PC) – 8
Payday: The Heist (PS3) – 6.5
Crysis – 8.25
Uncharted 3 – 9.5
Ratchet & Clank: All 4 One – 8.75
Forza Motorsport 4 – 9.25
The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword – 10
Super Mario 3D Land – 9.5
Solatorobo: Red the Hunter – 7.5
Kirby’s Return to Dream Land – 8.5
Professor Layton and the Last Specter – 8.5
Might & Magic Heroes VI – 8.25
Okabu – 8
Guardian Heroes – 8.25
Just Dance 3 – 6
NASCAR Unleashed – 7
A Game of Thrones: Genesis – 6.75
House of the Dead: Overkill – Extended Cut – 8
Hulk Hogan’s Main Event – 1
Source: http://nintendoeverything.com/77741/game-informer-review-scores-december-2011/

ezekial45

Banned
They just got around to reviewing Battlefield 3? What took them so long?

EDIT: Oh, nevermind. Magazine publication dates.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Hulk Hogan's Main Event review text

Actually, calling him the “star” of this game is like saying that the little paper clip guy is the star of Microsoft Office 98. His hideously deformed character model is mostly seen during your character’s entrance, standing on the ring apron nodding his head and making peace signs. A few times a match, he might throw out a three or four-word phrase like "Believe in yourself!" or "Great finisher, bro!."The latter is stated regardless of whether you’re anywhere near finishing your opponent, and regardless of whether or not this game actually has finishing moves (it doesn’t).

Hulk Hogan’s Main Event is a baffling product, and I have no idea who its intended audience is. I guess it could be for fans of wrestling and crappy Punch-Out clones, but even that doesn’t make sense. I’m a lifelong fan of professional wrestling, and I love Punch-Out so much that it made the list of my ten favorite games of all-time. Main Event is an absolutely atrocious title, and I received no entertainment value out of it whatsoever. The best compliment I can give it is that Kinect picks up on what you want to do some of the time, but that would be like complimenting a Mario game for recognizing that you want to jump when you press A. In the six years I’ve been doing this, I can honestly say that Hulk Hogan’s Main Event is the worst game I’ve ever reviewed.

That's a whole lot of reviews in one issue!

I like how there's one game that gets a 1 and then everything else gets 6 or higher, lol.

The only other game on the list that appears to be manifestly bad or broken is LOTR War in the North, which got a 5.5. Is there a specific game you'd expect to merit a 5 or lower but didn't get one?

Stumpokapow said:
Hulk Hogan's Main Event review text

That's a whole lot of reviews in one issue!

The only other game on the list that appears to be manifestly bad or broken is LOTR War in the North, which got a 5.5. Is there a specific game you'd expect to merit a 5 or lower but didn't get one?
Though I understand the point you're making, Nascar Unleashed is absolutely awful

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
THE NO LIFE KING said:
Besides the (lol) score of Hulk Hogan's Main Event. Sonic Generation gets a 6.75??? :/

Review Text

Basically says that 2D Sonic levels based on old Sonic games are great, 2D Sonic levels based on new Sonic games are frustrating, and 3D Sonic totally sucks. I haven't played.

SirPenguin said:
Though I understand the point you're making, Nascar Unleashed is absolutely awful

I'd be surprised if it was excellent, frankly, both because it's a NASCAR game, and because it's a low budget kart racer, hahaha. Their review text matches their score, for what it's worth. ("NASCAR Unleashed may be just another kart racer, but it's also not as foreign of a concept to the sport as you may think. Its drafting, rivalries, and car contact are certainly key aspects of the sport represented here – just not enough.")

Stumpokapow said:
That Game of Thrones game, Disney Universe and Okabu are supposed to be really bad. If Just Dance 3 is like the first two then it shouldn't score that high. Need For Speed 18 looks pretty crappy.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
I like that they reviewed the PC version of BF3 separately. Almost feels like a completely different game at times. I'm also not regretting my SR3 pre-order at all right now.

I'm curious to see what they said about The Run, because I was thinking about picking it up on the cheap. I'd be perfectly fine if it was a Split/Second clone with better graphics.

Orayn

TheFLYINGManga_Ka said:
NFS The Run got a lower score than I expected especially after the excellent Hot Pursuit.

Wonder what other reviews will say.
That's probably because The Run wasn't developed by Criterion.

jay

Stumpokapow said:

5.5 for a bad or broken game seems high.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
I feel like War in the North is a whipping boy for not being Skyrim. Like ten hours in and loving the co-op action so far. Feel like either:
-Reviewers aren't playing past the first chapter (which is mostly boring).
-Reviewers just don't care about/aren't playing co-op (AI is pretty dumb).

nincompoop said:
That Game of Thrones game, Disney Universe and Okabu are supposed to be really bad. If Just Dance 3 is like the first two then it shouldn't score that high. Need For Speed 18 looks pretty crappy.

Nah, Okabu is good. It's simple but charming and fun. 8 is a little high though; I'd give it 6.5 or 7 on this review scale, especially since Solatorobo has it beat in the "simple but charming" category.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Mr. Serious Business said:
It's a shame that the music genre is so dead. Rocksmith actually looks to be a pretty good game.
You can thank Kotick for that.

kassatsu

Banned
Shurs said:
"The progression system, where you unlock better weapons, equipment, and special abilities as you play each of the four classes (which vary from each other far less than in, say, Battlefield) is a decent enough hook to keep playing and seeing the variations on the handful of heists in the game. I find myself annoyed enough at the gameplay to not care about fluff like getting a bigger mag for my assault rifle, though."

Stumpokapow said:
Review Text

Basically says that 2D Sonic levels based on old Sonic games are great, 2D Sonic levels based on new Sonic games are frustrating, and 3D Sonic totally sucks. I haven't played.

Based on my time with the game I agree with the review. The overall score is harsh but I can't understand why Sega thought it was a good idea to have so many stages based on the recent 3D games. The few Genesis based stages make the others feel so horrible in comparison.

Shurs

kassatsu said:
"The progression system, where you unlock better weapons, equipment, and special abilities as you play each of the three classes (which vary from each other far less than in, say, Battlefield) is a decent enough hook to keep playing and seeing the variations on the handful of heists in the game. I find myself annoyed enough at the gameplay to not care about fluff like getting a bigger mag for my assault rifle, though."

Fixed?

I'm surprised at the low score for Sonic Generations, to be honest. I can see how it'd be annoying to play on consoles at 30 FPS, but I have nothing but glowing praise for the PC version except for the final boss. Bleh.

chixdiggit

Does anyone else ever get the urge to rent games just to see how bad they are? I kind of want to red box the HUlk Hogan game.

mollipen

ezekial45 said:
They just got around to reviewing Battlefield 3? What took them so long?

EDIT: Oh, nevermind. Magazine publication dates.

I wish more reviews were "late". Anybody reviewing Battlefield 3 in time for its launch date had absolutely no time with the game's online with actual out-in-the-world players (versus just other media or whatnot).

The way reviews work—including the demand by readers that they get reviews ASAP—means that reviewers have to rush through the games, and not get deep into some features they simply cannot experience properly.

Top Bottom