• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ossu! Tatakae! Ouendan! is the best game for the Nintendo DS

Shiggy

So which songs do you expect in the localized version at E3? Let's hope they are good, because it's the second best music game which will be shown there :D

Taichu

Shiggy said:
So which songs do you expect in the localized version at E3? Let's hope they are good, because it's the second best music game which will be shown there :D
Wait, this is happening? If true, awesome. I'll be looking forward to this! You better not be messing around Shiggy.

Shiggy

I think Craig@IGN even showed himself playing the game at that DS event (he had headphones and used the stylus.

And also The Colonel confirmed it last year for Europe and NA ;)

Shiggy

Chris Remo said:
Does anyone have a source indicating it'll actually be at the show?

The Colonel. They would show a game which will be released this year. And which other music game on DS does use the stylus? So why would they show it at that DS event and not at E3?

Shiggy

Shikamaru Ninja said:
There is no way Nintendo would bring Quendan over Band Bros. to the USA.

Well, we know that Cheer Squad (or whatever it will be called) will be released this year in Europe/NA thanks to the Colonel. There was no mention of Jam with the Band, which I still prefer over Cheer Squad, but it was shown last year at the G|C in Germany.

Will we see it over here? I hope so.

Otherwise...there's still the GBA, the bit Generations/Digiluxe Series, Mother, FF and other great games are still coming.

Shiggy said:
I think Craig@IGN even showed himself playing the game at that DS event (he had headphones and used the stylus)
blog-images-20060420093533174.jpg

Craig looks like he's going out of his tree.

Taichu

I just popped this game back in my DS and played for a bit.

How the hell are they localizing this!? First of all, male cheerleaders. No one will get that concept. Secondly, the comic portions. The events play out from right to left, and they really can't just mirror the image like some graphc novel translations do. Also, a lot of the text bubbles are vertical, and it will be hard to squeeze English in them. Thirdly, the music. They'll have to time the events much differently and totally redo the patterns if they go for new music. Lastly, some of the scenarios are just too weird. The entire festival level. The violinist level (buff guys wearing only speedos and capes).

How are they doing this!?!

Taichu said:
I just popped this game back in my DS and played for a bit.

How the hell are they localizing this!? First of all, male cheerleaders. No one will get that concept. Secondly, the comic portions. The events play out from right to left, and they really can't just mirror the image like some graphc novel translations do. Also, a lot of the text bubbles are vertical, and it will be hard to squeeze English in them. Thirdly, the music. They'll have to time the events much differently and totally redo the patterns if they go for new music. Lastly, some of the scenarios are just too weird. The entire festival level. The violinist level (buff guys wearing only speedos and capes).

The only thing I can see working is totally new music, patterns and cutscenes. Which is fine by me, I can buy the game again then.

Roders5

Iwata een bom zal droppen
I was going to say it would be the first game I've ever bought twice, but if they change the music and stories it isn't really the same game is it.

Taichu

Yeah, I do hope this is practically a new game. Really though, I'll buy it as long as the music patterns are different. Hopefully I can convince others to get it and finally try out the multiplayer portions of the game.

Jiguryo

Aryan mech phallus gun
I've bought this game via eBay, sealed and all, at a really decent price. And as soon as I received it, I couldn't put it down. Awesome game indeed, one of the must-buys for the DS...

And I do hope it comes Stateside or in Europe, too. The more, the merrier.

Taichu said:
Yeah, I do hope this is practically a new game. Really though, I'll buy it as long as the music patterns are different. Hopefully I can convince others to get it and finally try out the multiplayer portions of the game.

The US and EU version will have completely different songs (and because of that, I assume new patterns).

Jiguryo

Aryan mech phallus gun
Vyse The Legend said:
The US and EU version will have completely different songs (and because of that, I assume new patterns).

That alone could make me buy a new release of it.

tehrafe

I've played Ouendan for a little while, the first "mission" was easy but then the rest was very hard imo. (or I just suck in Ouendan...)

Jiguryo

Aryan mech phallus gun
salva said:
i hope the new Ouendan will have a new HARDER difficulty.
will be worth the challenge

You mean... even higher than the Cheerleader trio? You'd have to be a robot or something.

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised

I'm replaying Ouendan now (still the best game on the DS - it's just too awesome), but i've also been thinking of how they could do this.

but perhaps the solution is to make it rock-a-bill .... THE FONZ style! That gets through the male cheerleaders - everyone will get a leathered up FONZ dancing to help people, it's what the FONZ does. Hell, even have a shark jumping level. ;)

Comic portions - unless INIS were stupid, they will have built a game editiing engine that will simply allow them to drop in new art slides and patterns - i don't see this being an issue.

Music - this is the tricky part - the timing and stuff? That's not an issue i don't think - as long as they wrote good editing software (which i'd guess they did) then it should be fairly easy to do. It's the choice of music that i'm worried about - i think they need to get this right.

Stories - they don't have to keep the same stories - but most of them could still work.

I await PUSH! FIGHT! THE FONZ! with eagerness!

"You mean... even higher than the Cheerleader trio? You'd have to be a robot or something."
Naaa - it's not that bad once you get used to it , and once you do the challenge starts to slip.

Cheerleader speed but with random placing of hit points would be interesting so the game becomes even more reaction based and challenging would be awesome.

salva said:
i hope the new Ouendan will have a new HARDER difficulty.
will be worth the challenge

When Cheergirl mode just isn't enough?

Anyway, Ouendan has been out how long now? 9 months? I can't believe how much damn play time I've squeezed out of this game during the time I've had it (since day 2). However, ever since I bought this I've been trying to convince a few music-game friends back in England to buy this. Until recently, my efforts have failed but after directing them to this topic at GAF, it's enlightened their interest and all 4 of them want the game. Problem is, I've been to every game shop near me and even some far away... sold out everywhere I've visited (which makes me happy). But it does mean that my friends will have to purchase from eBay and maybe pay a little over the odds... that'll teach them for being so closed minded!

Jiguryo

Aryan mech phallus gun
DCharlie said:
Naaa - it's not that bad once you get used to it , and once you do the challenge starts to slip.

Cheerleader speed but with random placing of hit points would be interesting so the game becomes even more reaction based and challenging would be awesome.

Yep, I get where you're coming from -- as I progressed through the game, I always thought: "there's no way I can beat this stage!"".... and yet, I finished it on the Cheerleader level.

Random hit points, now that's something that could've been done!

Jiguryo said:
You mean... even higher than the Cheerleader trio? You'd have to be a robot or something.

i found the cheerleader mode hard at first but now it's easy. i got S rank on 10 levels on cheerleader mode already

DCharlie

i found the cheerleader mode hard at first but now it's easy. i got S rank on 10 levels on cheerleader mode already

i have a weird problem with the game that i discovered playing two player mode...

i can't do the slow levels ! I'm still running on "Cheerleader reactions" so when i see the circles slowly falling on to the hit points my brain just freaks and i get the timing all wrong...

seriously, took me an age to readjust to the easy levels. It's very odd.

DCharlie said:
i have a weird problem with the game that i discovered playing two player mode...

i can't do the slow levels ! I'm still running on "Cheerleader reactions" so when i see the circles slowly falling on to the hit points my brain just freaks and i get the timing all wrong...[b/]

seriously, took me an age to readjust to the easy levels. It's very odd.

same happens to me. I can't go back to the easier difficulties because i can't get the timing right.

Jiguryo

Aryan mech phallus gun
salva said:
same happens to me. I can't go back to the easier difficulties because i can't get the timing right.

... and that somehow makes the game's difficulty level adaptive! Pretty smart, if you ask me.

I have no idea why people are so insistant that it WILL have new songs. It won't be THAT easy to remake it like that, and Ouendan isn't the kind of game that can be remade and still work (you'd have to change the music, the button placements and the levels' plots).

A Link to the Past said:
I have no idea why people are so insistant that it WILL have new songs. It won't be THAT easy to remake it like that, and Ouendan isn't the kind of game that can be remade and still work (you'd have to change the music, the button placements and the levels' plots).

The Colonel said it would.

DCharlie

have no idea why people are so insistant that it WILL have new songs. It won't be THAT easy to remake it like that, and Ouendan isn't the kind of game that can be remade and still work (you'd have to change the music, the button placements and the levels' plots).

to reiterate - as long as Inis created good tools in order to make each level , which i'd expect them to have done, this really isn't that big of an issue. Also bear in mind that by the time this game sees the light of day, it's likely to have been over a year since the JPN launch.

Surely if we were getting a straight dump of the JPN version, then we'd have seen it some time ago? (at least, i'm hoping for a significantly different version! ;) )

Also note that all the songs have lyrics - Japanese lyrics. Not sure that US gamers would buy into that.

Jiguryo

Aryan mech phallus gun
A Link to the Past said:

Not really. Apart from the hit point placements, fitting new songs to the existing storylines wouldn't be that hard. Keep the theme of each story -- say, a romantic song for the Ghost Love Story stage -- and so on. For example, I would KILL for R.E.M.'s "It's the End of the World As We Know It" for the last stage.

DCharlie said:
to reiterate - as long as Inis created good tools in order to make each level , which i'd expect them to have done, this really isn't that big of an issue. Also bear in mind that by the time this game sees the light of day, it's likely to have been over a year since the JPN launch.

Surely if we were getting a straight dump of the JPN version, then we'd have seen it some time ago? (at least, i'm hoping for a significantly different version! ;) )

Also note that all the songs have lyrics - Japanese lyrics. Not sure that US gamers would buy into that.

One, Egg Monster Hero is a launch game, IIRC, and Nintendo has plans to make sure as many games get released in the US as possible.

Two, stop assuming that there'd be so much backlash towards Japanese lyrics. The fact of the matter is that DDR and Donkey Konga are tons different - DDR has no real theme, and Donkey Konga just has Donkey Kong, both of which can work with any music. However, Ouendan has a very Japanese theme, so English + Japanese just wouldn't work, and I wouldn't purchase it - not only because I'm not interested in rebuying it, but it just wouldn't work.

DCharlie

One, Egg Monster Hero is a launch game, IIRC, and Nintendo has plans to make sure as many games get released in the US as possible.

i don't see what that has to do with anything!

Two, stop assuming that there'd be so much backlash towards Japanese lyrics. The fact of the matter is that DDR and Donkey Konga are tons different - DDR has no real theme, and Donkey Konga just has Donkey Kong, both of which can work with any music. However, Ouendan has a very Japanese theme, so English + Japanese just wouldn't work, and I wouldn't purchase it - not only because I'm not interested in rebuying it, but it just wouldn't work.

... hence, change it so it does? I'm confused what you are getting at? If the system is well written, you could swap out art assets and music and make the game the same, but with a different theme.

I'm confused - the game won't work because english and Japanese won't work because it has a Japanese theme, but i should stop assuming that there would be a backlash to Japanese lyrics? :} Anyways, simply change the game. Cheerleaders are in there - ones that americans recognise - then simply draw in several new cheer leaders, and alter the overwhealmingly japanese levels (change the restaurant to be a burger bar, alter the Matsui level)

Again, i don't think there is _that_ much work to be done to make this US friendly.

Have I mentioned yet how awesome this game is on the Lite? The stylus is perfect and the screen is so fantastic that when you're dragging the world map around, it looks as if you are just sliding a piece of colored plastic under the DS. It's brilliant.

HANARETE MO KONO MUNE NI ITSUDEMO TODOITERU

robot

Kobun Heat said:
...when you're dragging the world map around, it looks as if you are just sliding a piece of colored plastic under the DS.

puff puff give - dont break the cipher!

Unison

The number of "____ is the best game on DS" threads on GAF over the last year or so show how awesome the DS library is. :D

So I bought this game through our own Buy/Sell/Trade thread. Very cool, though I'm not too far in. Currently working on the "pottery" and "track" levels on normal difficulty.

Such a great example of rhythm gaming on DS done right. Don't just try to replicate the existing weird rhtyhm controllers with the DS screen, but do something more suited to DS's abilities. You might have to tap anywhere, or roll along a line, or spin something around.

As a man whose knowledge of Japanese doesn't go much farther than the words Seiken and Densetsu, this game is so easy to get into. A few simple guesses on the menus, like "Pick the option with one silhouette for one player?" and I'm in. How you're supposed to play is very quickly obvious, and with the drawings you don't need to know that text to understand the gist of the story.

From my brief playing I got the impression that it would best be done either lightly localized (translate the text, keep the songs and settings) to appeal to the wacky jappy fans without a lot of work, or replace most everything but the play system to give it a broader western appeal. Since it seems it's already been mentioned the songs are being changed, I guess it's closer to the latter.

Top Bottom