• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Zelda Skyward Sword Spoiler Thread: Retelling the Legend without the black bars

jonno394

So, who is Hylia then? Farore, Nayru and Din are the three creation goddesses. Where does Hylia fit in to this outside of being the one who originally sealed Demise?

Demise is the root of all evil and monsters. Hylia is the root of the opposing force to that?

Tuck

I wish Demise didn't have such a lame name. I'm glad that we have an origin for Ganondorf now though, the multiple Ganon theory is basically confirmed.

How is multiple Gabon theory confirmed? Wind waker provided a reason for ganondorf. A better one too. I donno why people are so happy to have an explanation for ganondorf. We got one already.

Anth0ny

To be honest, the only characters I felt emotional towards in MM were Skull Kid's victims and Skull Kid himself. I'm not that far- only the third dungeon- so maybe I haven't met a lot of characters, but the people in Clock Town are like Skyloft in which they have a lot of personality.

so everyone

watershed

Banned
Great game, I just beat it. I love the story especially the curse at the end. The gameplay is my favorite out of all zelda games. I loved the motion controls. I only have a few complaints which are mostly minor stuff that has carried over from past zelda games. In terms of new stuff/design changes I wish there were more towns, like Lake Floria or the inner part didn't really feel like a town or "safe area" the way Zora's Domain does in past games. And I wish we got to see where the Goron's come from instead of just seeing some travelers.

Desiato

I just beat the game and totally loved it. Non-story related question though: did anyone else else experience horrid framerate during the credits when it zoomed over the landscapes? I don't understand how it's possible, because it looked like FMV.

sinxtanx

Finally finished it.

Best moment for me personally: running down the spiral towards Ghirahim while a gazillion bokoblins come running up the other direction. Such an awesome feeling of power just steamrolling through them with the Master Sword.

Best Music: Fi's Theme I just love it. Beautiful, simple piece.

Biggest problem: Harp wasn't fun to play. Like, at all. I would probably have remembered the songs better if I actually got to learn them instead of getting a message saying "You learned a song! :D"

Overall: fuck yeah awesome game will play again

I just beat the game and totally loved it. Non-story related question though: did anyone else else experience horrid framerate during the credits when it zoomed over the landscapes? I don't understand how it's possible, because it looked like FMV.

Yeah, I think they were drunk the day they coded the credits. There can be no other explanation for it.

watershed

Banned
I didn't notice any framerate issues during the end credits. One thing I was expecting that didn't happen was for the cool, bombastic trailer version of the main theme to be in the game. I thought in the final part of the battle of the demise that music would play and you would feel all heroic and stuff.

Bit-Bit

So, who is Hylia then? Farore, Nayru and Din are the three creation goddesses. Where does Hylia fit in to this outside of being the one who originally sealed Demise?

Demise is the root of all evil and monsters. Hylia is the root of the opposing force to that?
I'm guessing there were four goddesses that originally created the land but Hylia's name was forgotten over time since she gave up her godhood to be mortal. Hell, they had already forgotten it in Skyward Sword.

Nert

I was surprised at how emotional this game made me at times. I also loved that they gave Groose an actual arc instead of leaving him behind as some throwaway bully from the tutorial. Story-wise, he was probably the highlight of the game for me, which I definitely didn't expect coming into it.

I have to say that the pacing on the dungeons was a little odd, though. I thought that dungeons 3-5 were clever, dense, and introduced some enjoyable items, but dungeon 6 felt really simple... it was just a lot of digging in the second half, really. If it was tweaked to be slightly more challenging, dungeon 5 would have felt better as the penultimate one.

I only finished this an hour ago, so my thoughts are still pretty scattered. I might write something more coherent later. Overall, I loved it, but yeah, it has some definite pacing issues (including some egregious filler before dungeon 4). Its high points are my favorite in the series, but there are definitely some flaws.

Edit: My favorite piece of music, by far, was this: Naryu's Wisdom.

Kard8p3

I really think this game has one of the best ending sequences of the zelda series. Running down to the bottom of the sealed grounds while fighting off all those bokoblins was awesome.

Then of course the final fight with Ghirahim was awesome. In his first phase I loved knocking him down to a lower platform then jumping down with a fatal blow. Then I loved the little tennis fight you could have with Ghirahim in his second phase. You can go through the fight without him ever doing it but I thought it was cool.

Then it was topped off with the Demise fight in that beautiful battleground. Until I found the right strategy I actually had a hard time with Demise. Even still if I get a little too carried away in his second phase he can do some good damage to me. I loved using the lightning in the second phase. The lighting when the lightning struck the sword was incredible.

D

Deleted member 21120

Unconfirmed Member
Oh god, just got my hands on the OST, so great to have this on my iTunes.

Are you talking about the disc packed in with the special edition, or the soundtrack for the actual game? If it's the latter, where can I buy it? I haven't been able to find it.

Anth0ny

I mean Mikau, Darmani and the Deku Butler's son (who doesn't even appear except as a sad little corpse :( )

Link-Goro.png

You haven't met Caelus-Goro?

watershed

Banned
I really think this game has one of the best ending sequences of the zelda series. Running down to the bottom of the sealed grounds while fighting off all those bokoblins was awesome.

Then of course the final fight with Ghirahim was awesome. In his first phase I loved knocking him down to a lower platform then jumping down with a fatal blow. Then I loved the little tennis fight you could have with Ghirahim in his second phase. You can go through the fight without him ever doing it but I thought it was cool.

Then it was topped off with the Demise fight in that beautiful battleground. Until I found the right strategy I actually had a hard time with Demise. Even still if I get a little too carried away in his second phase he can do some good damage to me. I loved using the lightning in the second phase. The lighting when the lightning struck the sword was incredible.

The ending chapter really is incredible and visually striking. I loved Ghirahim's final form and of course the visuals of fighting in the sky with the floor being a watery reflection. Great stuff and reminiscent of WW's final fight.

Yousefb

Just finished the game! Just incredible :D ZELDA FUCK YEAH! I'm ready for the next one

I didn't mind much of the backtracking but a few things were unnecessary and annoying imo (like the 3rd Imprisoned fight, and the tadpole search ugh) but overall this game was so much fun. At first I didn't like that there was no over world like the past games, but the game ended up feeling very coherent and the whole world was so full of life. It really felt like I was playing a classic disney movie

The music set a good atmosphere overall but I'm disappointed there aren't many memorable melodies as there usually are

anyways we need dolphin screenshots of the last boss fight now!

Kard8p3

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m82wbQNqFDQ

Does anyone get a Starfox vibe from this theme? Hajime Wakai composed Starfox 64 so it makes sense.

Just finished the game! Just incredible :D ZELDA FUCK YEAH! I'm ready for the next one

I didn't mind much of the backtracking but a few things were unnecessary and annoying imo (like the 3rd Imprisoned fight, and the tadpole search ugh) but overall this game was so much fun. At first I didn't like that there was no over world like the past games, but the game ended up feeling very coherent and the whole world was so full of life. It really felt like I was playing a classic disney movie

The music set a good atmosphere overall but I'm disappointed there aren't many memorable melodies as there usually are

anyways we need dolphin screenshots of the last boss fight now!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fL0RjdcsZUY

Turn that up to 720 or 1080 then full screen. It looks amazing.

BY2K

Membero Americo
Bwahahahaha. If Ghirahim takes the Master Sword from Link's hand during the his first battle (played during the Lighting Round), he actually comments on it.

"Hah, quite the sword you have here. But so long as you telegraph your attacks like the novice you are, you'll never land a blow."

And apparently he slaps you to death if you put away your sword and shield and just stand there doing nothing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m82wbQNqFDQ

Does anyone get a Starfox vibe from this theme? Hajime Wakai composed Starfox 64 so it makes sense.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fL0RjdcsZUY

Turn that up to 720 or 1080 then full screen. It looks amazing.

JESUS FUCKING CHRIST! Holy crap, that's beautiful! Hurry the hell up with the Wii U, Nintendo!

Garcia

Guys...serious question here: Edit: Solved already, thx.

Is this whole game a neverending loop? I ask this because out of curiosity when the game started I looked through the stone doors in the temple where Impa sits and you clearly can see Zelda imprisoned. So... While Zelda/Hylia rests in the present, she's also sent back to the Past in order to awaken as Hylia, again?

Then after you seal Demise in the Master Sword Zelda gives one of her bracelets to Impa, who's also wearing it from the very beginning of the game...

Wat de wat??

Ruas

Banned
Guys...serious question here:

Is this whole game a neverending loop? I ask this because out of curiosity when the game started I looked through the stone doors in the temple where Impa sits and you clearly can see Zelda imprisoned.

maybe not cause after demise is defeated when you look through the doors,the crystal is gone.

Mii

Banned
Guys...serious question here:

Is this whole game a neverending loop? I ask this because out of curiosity when the game started I looked through the stone doors in the temple where Impa sits and you clearly can see Zelda imprisoned. So... While Zelda/Hylia rests in the present, she's also sent back to the Past in order to awaken as Hylia, again?

Then after you seal Demise in the Master Sword Zelda gives one of her bracelets to Impa, who's also wearing it from the very beginning of the game...

Wat de wat??

I felt it played heavily towards a concept of predestination. It also suggested time cannot be thought of as a line but rather a plane that can be manipulated. There are of course some odd disappearances that occur but I chalk it up to the Goddesses only wanting mortals to see certain things at certain points.

Garcia

maybe not cause after demise is defeated when you look through the doors,the crystal is gone.

You're right. Don't know why I thought of the ending sequence where you gaze upon the Master Sword in the present as if it had the closed doors as well. Double checking that and the crystal is gone.

Mii said:
I felt it played heavily towards a concept of predestination. It also suggested time cannot be thought of as a line but rather a plane that can be manipulated.

Very elegantly executed now that I can confirm what Ruas mentioned above. Thanks guys.

jonno394

Oh I forgot to mention that Fi final scenes. I didn't think i'd be that sad to see her go (well noit in the same sense as the Midna departing as she was more "human" and you get more emotionally attached) but i was so happy she popped out to give a final fitting goodbye.

That whole set of lines was really touching and made her character to me more endearing than she originally was (i loved the character already). It made you realise that all this time she was growing closer to Link but the sole thing in her mind that made her push everything aside was the final goal.

It is also why I feel she made Link put her in the pedestal before saying that stuff. Finish the quest then say your goodbye, because then Link won't have a choice in the matter. If she'd have said it before the sword was placed in the pedestal there may have been complications, as we know Link is the sort of guy who wouldn't want to lose anyone.

Oh I forgot to mention that Fi final scenes.
This. Definitely. Except I kept waiting the whole game for her to say the obvious "Master, I'm your sword. I'm the Master Sword." or something corny and obvious like that. But I guess it's just me who has a fetish for submissive robot maids who also happen to be ballerinas/ice-skaters and wear harlequin pantyhose... So, yeah, I like Fi quite a bit.

Yeah, I think they were drunk the day they coded the credits. There can be no other explanation for it.
Yeah. The first, smaller video plays fine, but when the full screen part begins it's slower than molasses going uphill in January with crutches. No biggie, though. I have to wonder if it's only in some copies or something, like, only in the initial printing maybe? It's too obvious and ugly for it to not get fixed.

RagnarokX

I don't know. If he's the same Ganondorf from Ocarina of Time that would mean by the beginning of the game he would be hundreds if not thousands of years old. You'd think time might weather him a little, but nope, can't get ever my windy childhood.

And about Groose, I think he's a genuinely great character, not just when compared to the characters that surround him. He's just so... groostifying.

edit- Why does everyone think I want Groose to be evil? I just wanted him to be unwillingly absorbed into Demise's being.

You might want to play Wind Waker and Twilight Princess. They're good games. Ganon in both games is the same Ganon from OoT in parallel timelines. All of the games that have a confirmed place in the timeline and feature Ganon have the same Ganon; OoT, WW, and TP. MM, PH, and ST don't feature Ganon, but you could assume Demise's curse lives on through the villains of those games as well.
Guys...serious question here: Edit: Solved already, thx.

Wat de wat??
No. Break down of events:

Demise tries to get triforce. Hylia sends triforce away on skyloft and battles Demise; sealing him away in the pit left behind by the goddess statue. She reincarnates herself and sends Impa into the future.
Hylia reincarnates as a mortal girl to use Link's affections to mold him into the hero.
Zelda goes on her quest. Impa arrives from the past and saves her. Impa takes Zelda back to the past to keep the seal on Demise until Link's present to buy him time to get the triforce and stop Demise once and for all.
Link succeeds in doing his duty, and Demise is destroyed.
Ghirahim shows up and tries to change the past by reviving Demise there, making the time travel thing kind of confusing because they're mixing up past can be changed with past can't be changed.
Link seals past Demise in the Master Sword.

Regardless, of the confusion of mixed up time travel tropes, there's no loop because someone from the future didn't cause the past. There is no paradox in that regard. There could have been another timeline split due to killing past Demise, but that timeline probably imploded due to being a paradox since Link would never have to become hero in that timeline, what with there being no Demise at all :p

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
.....I never knew that Link could call forth the power of lightning during the final battle o_O

I did not use it at all when I defeated Demise, but I wish I did... it must have been really cool to do that... o_O

RagnarokX

.....I never knew that Link could call forth the power of lightning during the final battle o_O

I did not use it at all when I defeated Demise, but I wish I did... it must have been really cool to do that... o_O

lol

after he did that like twice I was like "Hmm, he's using his sword like a lightning rod to power up a skyward strike... I wonder... HOLY CRAP THAT'S FRIGGIN AWESOME!"

jonno394

Whaat. You can beat him without it? XD

I was trying to do that on my first fight with him as I didn't realise the lightning could help until my second attempt.

Managed to dish out quite a bit of damage to him by shield bashing his first two or three charges, dodging the discharge of his energy and charging in and hitting him once or twice before he charges back up but it got to a point where he was charging up faster and i was getting electrocuted while trying to attack.

cloudyy

Same here. I just did backflips and thrusts the whole battle, didn't even use the shield.

RagnarokX

One idea I would like to discuss:

I don't think the triforce was on Skyloft.

The Silent Realm isn't an actual place; the game says it's inside Link's mind/spirit. To get the triforce Link had to claim the 3 pieces in the Silent Realm. I think he already had the triforce inside him from the 3 flames, but he had to pull it out of his spirit by proving his worth in that final temple.

Unless that place where Link gets the triforce pieces isn't the Silent Realm and just looks like it.

That final battle was really amazing. The concept of throwing the lightning bolts across the arena at each other elevated the whole thing to feeling like a true clash of the Gods. It helped that it was accompanied by the most beautiful environment in the game, and the most brilliant music I've heard in a while. Best final boss in the series.

I would totally buy The Legend of Groose, BTW. Get on it, Nintendo.

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
I love how right after Ghirahim was shown for the first time in the GDC trailer everyone assumed he too was a sword, just like Fi.
Too bad everyone expected him to be the Gilded Sword instead of a dark Master Sword.

gNBFk.jpg

(Props to RagnarokX)

One idea I would like to discuss:

I don't think the triforce was on Skyloft.

The Silent Realm isn't an actual place; the game says it's inside Link's mind/spirit. To get the triforce Link had to claim the 3 pieces in the Silent Realm. I think he already had the triforce inside him from the 3 flames, but he had to pull it out of his spirit by proving his worth in that final temple.

Unless that place where Link gets the triforce pieces isn't the Silent Realm and just looks like it.
That's a good point, but the game tries to beat on your head that the Triforce is hidden in Skyloft. So... who knows?

Desiato

Anyone else notice how the hats of the little robot guys have an upside down horn on them that look like the horns on Midna's hat?
675WU.png
2Zoaw.png

Or am I imagining things?

wrowa

Wish there were more towns to explore in the game

God, I'm so happy that Skyloft is the only town in the game. It's the most interesting and side-quest packed town of the Zelda series since Majora's Mask; it's way better to have one interesting town than three or four lame excuses of towns with nothing to do in them.

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
God, I'm so happy that Skyloft is the only town in the game. It's the most interesting and side-quest packed town of the Zelda series since Majora's Mask; it's way better to have one interesting town than three or four lame excuses of towns with nothing to do in them.
I'd rather have three or four interesting towns, even though I'm aware it means a lot more effort ;p

jonno394

I need the music that plays during the whole sword in pedestal/Fi ending. Just rewatched it on youtube and i was tearing up. So sad :(

Garcia

Wow... Hero Mode is really challenging, and thank god for the skippable stuff!, the flow of the game just improved a lot. 2 hours in and I'm already done with the 1st dungeon. Definitely enjoying the re-run a, however Fi manages to get on my nerves with her constant interruptions. She always brings things to a halt, everytime, and you just can't skip her texts. Ungh...

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
Wow... Hero Mode is really challenging, and thank god for the skippable stuff!, the flow of the game just improved a lot. 2 hours in and I'm already done with the 1st dungeon. Definitely enjoying the re-run a, however Fi manages to get on my nerves with her constant interruptions. She always brings things to a halt, everytime, and you just can't skip her texts. Ungh...
What can you skip exactly, all cut scenes?

Top Bottom