• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gundam Extreme VS (PS3) |OT| >>>>>>>>>> Your Favorite Fighting Game!

Status
Not open for further replies.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
IT BEGINS!

Afr8iwMCEAAU3xO.jpg

Xater

Yeah, the slipcovers are nice, but I'd much rather pay less for the domestic release. They're still $40 a pop, but it's better than the crazy exchange rate at the moment.

The US pricing is still too much for me. 20 bucks is what I would pay tops and even that is a bit much for 40 minutes actual content.

lupinko

If the pricing for those Unicorn Blu-rays wasn't so ridiculous I would have bought them as well...

I know, but it's Unicorn so I made the exception. I have all the JP first run BDs of Unicorn, so yes all the amazing Katoki slipcovers. :D

The US pricing is still too much for me. 20 bucks is what I would pay tops and even that is a bit much for 40 minutes actual content.

Well, you're basically getting the Japanese version (sans first pressing bonuses) and dealing with the Japanese wing of Bandai Visual, so yeah, it's gonna be more.

If this is the only way we're getting the Blu-rays day and date alongside Japan, I'm fine with it. Look at the delayed release schedule for the DVD versions outside Japan.

UGH, lucky bastards. =( At least my copy has left the states already and is on its way to the EU. Please be there on Monday. ;__;

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Played a little bit of the arcade mode and a couple missions of trial just to get a feel for it. I'm still trying to figure out ways to manage boost but still move quickly, but I do love the way you combine buttons to do different attacks.

Played a bit with Hi-nu, and fell in love with its funnel charge attack. Very cool stuff.

Can't wait to play more when I'm done work and the gym.

Questions about boosting: At what point does the jump button serve as the boost for dash? Do I have to double tap on the stick to dash instead of walk?

Thanks in advance!

So supposedly the package should be at the FedEx depo around 7. Maybe I'll pick it up this evening. I guess I can kill half an hour at work playing SRW.

lupinko

Pacific Standard Time GAF, we must organize, I'll give it a shot with Asian Pacific GAF as well, I mean I had some pretty good online games on really late hours for me before with GT5P and Blazblue awhile back.

Played a little bit of the arcade mode and a couple missions of trial just to get a feel for it. I'm still trying to figure out ways to manage boost but still move quickly, but I do love the way you combine buttons to do different attacks.

Played a bit with Hi-nu, and fell in love with its funnel charge attack. Very cool stuff.

Can't wait to play more when I'm done work and the gym.

Questions about boosting: At what point does the jump button serve as the boost for dash? Do I have to double tap on the stick to dash instead of walk?

Thanks in advance!
Double-tapping the stick is a step. A really short, but quick maneuver that you'd use for a dodge or to cancel a melee attack for another. Think side stepping and it will consume a bit of the boost gauge. Side stepping to cancel a melee will perform a rainbow step indicated by the green trail behind your unit.

Double tapping the jump button does a boost dash. You can hold after the second tap to prolong your boost until the gauge runs out. Much faster than walking obviously and can also cancel any attack at the cost of a higher expenditure of the gauge, allowing you to chain attacks that can't be done naturally. This is indicated by the big burst of exhaust when you boost dash cancel.

thetrin

Double-tapping the stick is a step. A really short, but quick maneuver that you'd use for a dodge or to cancel a melee attack for another. Think side stepping and it will consume a bit of the boost gauge. Side stepping to cancel a melee will perform a rainbow step indicated by the green trail behind your unit.

Double tapping the jump button does a boost dash. You can hold after the second tap to prolong your boost until the gauge runs out. Much faster than walking obviously and can also cancel any attack at the cost of a higher expenditure of the gauge, allowing you to chain attacks that can't be done naturally. This is indicated by the big burst of exhaust when you boost dash cancel.

Cool. Thanks. That was the only thing I couldnt figure out. That is a HUGE help.

xero273

i'm playing on arcade stick and have it setup like this

A B C
D

A = shoot, B = Melee, C = switch target, D = Boost. This is close to arcade setup?

Also how do you turn on custom soundtrack?

thetrin

A B C
D

A = shoot, B = Melee, C = switch target, D = Boost. This is close to arcade setup?

The arcade setup has search on the thumb, I believe.

A B C
D

There's a pic of the arcade stick setup in the OT. Just click on it and it will give you a bigger pic.

As for custom BGM, it's in the briefing room. Choose the first menu option in the briefing room menu and then select the menu option that has a play/pause icon. That should get you to the customized soundtrack.

And thetrin, no problem! I'll have to play through your experiences until I get my copy in. :(

xero273

There's a pic of the arcade stick setup in the OT. Just click on it and it will give you a bigger pic.

As for custom BGM, it's in the briefing room. Choose the first menu option in the briefing room menu and then select the menu option that has a play/pause icon. That should get you to the customized soundtrack.

And thetrin, no problem! I'll have to play through your experiences until I get my copy in. :(

Thanks man.. don't know how I missed it. Also, whoever is doing invites to chatroom send me one. psn = xero273

thetrin

Hopefully it's soon! I want to play some trial mode before I hop online. Wouldn't mind unlocking a few emblems before cracking skulls on the internet.

Beth Cyra

Can I get anyone to take a quality shot of the back?

It turns out that they had issues with my card so I will be lucky to have it ship by next week let alone get it :(.

xero273

think i got use to playing game with arcade stick now.. so much better then playing with psp pad.

Also, anyone got asian version, my friend is waiting to see if asian version works with online i.e. no region locking?

thetrin

think i got use to playing game with arcade stick now.. so much better then playing with psp pad.

Also, anyone got asian version, my friend is waiting to see if asian version works with online i.e. no region locking?

I have the asian version but I haven't hopped online yet. I just got back from the gym, so once I get out of the shower I'll be sure to turn on the game and check it out.

The tier list in the op makes me sad btw. :(

I never really played a ton in arcade. Just in passing over the whole year. Are the 0083 suits really that crap? I never did like gp01 unfortunately because using it meant I would get my ass kicked even worse than usual.

I still think my favorites at this stage are hyaku-shiki, tallgeese, and F91. Heavy arms is also really awesome but I need to get used to that suit more.

thetrin

I never really played a ton in arcade. Just in passing over the whole year. Are the 0083 suits really that crap? I never did like gp01 unfortunately because using it meant I would get my ass kicked even worse than usual.

I still think my favorites at this stage are hyaku-shiki, tallgeese, and F91. Heavy arms is also really awesome but I need to get used to that suit more.

I like Hi-nu, especially the funnel charge, but his high cost is keeping me away until I have a better handle on the game.

thetrin

yeah, I'm using my Hori V3SA for the game, and it feels great.

Shouta

what's rainbow step? the step while melee-ing? and zoning? you mean the L formation? Any tips on cutting? it's often too high or too late to stop them. @@

Rainbow Steps are canceling melee attacks by using a step. So say if you start a melee attack and do a double tap to step, you'll cancel the attack and move that direction causing yourself to emit a rainbow aura. Do you remember how I was spinning around you during a melee attack? That's a rainbow cancel.

Zoning meaning that you need to learn how to keep away from an enemy and keep them outside of your range. So if you're facing down a unit like say Exia or Master, you need to keep them outside of their melee range by running away, shooting them while they land, or meleeing them then running away. It's very important as some units don't have melee that's nearly as good as others so will take a lot more damage quickly in comparison.

For cutting, you need to stay close to your partner and always keep an eye out on what both units are doing at the same time. It's a sort of spatial awareness thing. Know which units you're fighting and how they enemy is approaching the fight. If they're coming after you, taking a position to fire on them both is a good idea or if you're on the offensive, making sure to keep up so you can land hits and keep your partner meleeing as much as possible is key.

Care to enlighten us what this 'rainbow step' is? I only know techniques like step-cancel and green home from the SEED days, but I don't anymore after that. Also, I heard the tank MS from IGLOO is a pretty powerful unit, but what makes it so good?

Melee cancel basically. Step Cancels are in the game too actually. If you tap Boost after doing a Step or a Rainbow Step, your unit will bounce and rise up in the direction of the step. It's very useful for ditching if you're going to get melee'd or dodging ranged attacks because it gives you vertical space.

The 0083 units have a harder time dealing out damage as fast as other 2000 units. GP01 only has his melee, BR, Charged Shot, and 4 GM Cannon assists. So you need to be a master of landing those and getting in. He's not a bad unit though and is more than capable but he doesn't have it quite as easy in comparison because lack of fancy shit. Particularly against the Crossbone units because of the damn ABC mantles.

matmanx1

I have no idea who I'm going to play the most at this point. So many different units I want to try out it's probably going to take me alot of trial mode before I start to narrow it down.

I like Char as a pilot but am not necessarily attached to any particular units so I'll just end up going with whatever I think "feels" the best.

Also terrible at this game. But RX-78 seems to be nice. I think I like it's movement speed and a selection of ranged attacks. But maybe I am doing it wrong.

Edit: But I would also like a recommendation of a fast melee focused suit. That might be fun to try out as well.

JKTrix

Gelgoog seems pretty darn cool, lots of melee moves and I think a counter-melee move too.
Turn A is kind of hard to use, I'll get back to that one when I'm more comfortable with the system.

So far I've spent most of my time in 'free battle' endless mode.

Shouta

I'd recommend X1 if you want a unit that has awesome melee but a solid enough ranged to support it. Some of the other melees don't have nearly as much ranged to support them so it can be tougher to learn them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom