• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic Advance released for Android in Japan

Foffy

Banned
Why is Sonic Advance the only title in the Advance series to be on other systems? Wasn't it also released on the N-Gage?

Jockel

Wasn't it also released on the N-Gage?
That is correct. It wasn't called Sonic Advance though, just "Sonic N". If that implies some slight changes in game design I couldn't tell, since I haven't played the original Sonic Advance.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
10 year anniversary re-release of DIMPS' only closest to the classics Sonic game. Here's to another decade of derivative shit.

Imbarkus

As Sartre noted in his contemplation on Hell in No Exit, the true horror is other members.
Whole advance series was very faithful in that it had decent level design with occasional very irritating instant falls, and maddening bonus stages ensuring I would never try to get all the chaos emeralds.

Playing them with no D-pad? FUCK THAT.

Sega's on a lazy re-release roll!

Why is Sonic Advance the only title in the Advance series to be on other systems? Wasn't it also released on the N-Gage?

It's probably happening because they already did the work to port it to N-Gage, similar to how most of the DC ports we did so far were due to the PC versions that already existed.

Imbarkus

As Sartre noted in his contemplation on Hell in No Exit, the true horror is other members.
Imbarkus, Virtua Fighter 5 Final Showdown isn't a re-release, it's practically a new game.

Okay fine. Trollin' a bit.

'Course if it was THAT new they could just call it VF6, right?

Suairyu

Banned
'Course if it was THAT new they could just call it VF6, right?
No? It's the same base system with heavy adjustments.

Think of the leap from Street Fighter 2 to Super Street Fighter 2: Turbo

It's still Virtua Fighter 5, but different. Improved.

drizzle

Axel Hertz
Hey, I just noticed that Sonic Advance is Free on the Japanese Android Marketplace:

https://market.android.com/details?id=jp.co.sega.sonicadvance.monthly.sum

If you have a rooter android, it's pretty easy to get it.

Download Market Enabler from the market, set your gsm.sim.operator.numeric to 44010 (DoCoMo's number).

Market Enabler will make Market think you're acessing using a Japanese DoCoMo SIM Card. Just search for ソニックアド(as Sonic will not return anything. The easier way of doing this is opening the URL I pasted at the top on your cellphone browser), download and enjoy. It's free, after all.

EDIT: Wait, this might not work afterall. I'll double check and come back in a bit. Sorry for the bump if it doesn't.

EDIT: Apparently you only download a wrapper from the market. After you execute it, it redirects to a website that prompts you to click a button to play the game. When you do, it complains that you don't have the latest version from the market,even though you do. I don't know what else to do with this. Again, sorry for the bump. Maybe somebody with better Japanese can figure it out.

Top Bottom