• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kiki Trick [Wii] trailers: gameplay = soundplay

rpmurphy

Alrus

The reliance on voices probably means this is never leaving Japan :( It looked pretty fun.

I wonder if it will reach the level of crazy sales Sakamoto's similar projects had.

The 2nd vid is amazing. I love the game with the 4 videos. I guess they're trying to figure out which one is different, or something specific. (Edit: I think they're guessing which video the sound is coming from.)

This looks like a game where if you were to ask a random person to describe a weird Japanese game, this would probably be it. :p

rpmurphy

The reliance on voices probably means this is never leaving Japan :( It looked pretty fun.

I wonder if it will reach the level of crazy sales Sakamoto's similar projects had.
Localizing this would be a ton of work involved, but I really hope it does get its chance. This looks like a really good original game.

Koomaster

The 2nd vid is amazing. I love the game with the 4 videos. I guess they're trying to figure out which one is different, or something specific. (Edit: I think they're guessing which video the sound is coming from.)

This looks like a game where if you were to ask a random person to describe a weird Japanese game, this would probably be it. :p
Yeah I didn't catch on till the lady singing one and I was like ah-ha!

This was the best surprise of last night's video. He and the team earned my trust with WarioWare (and, subsequently, Rhythm Tengoku) This team's games are excellent by being focused on fun with really light-hearted and wacky implementations.

Bring it on!

KenOD

a kinder, gentler sort of Scrooge
Ah word games like しりとり, seems fun. I've actually been looking for a videogame versions of that, non-text based or DoCoMo only, to play and never found one. Not sure about the rest of those modes though.

rpmurphy

ICE CUHREEM! I wish I could understand Japanese, it looks really cute.
That one was neat. You have to identify when someone is mispronouncing a word. If the pace goes faster, it would be pretty challenging.

The bottom line is that only salarymen are gonna find 5800 yen worth of entertainment in this game.
Lol yeah. It does seem to have at least some multiplayer modes in it, so maybe that's Nintendo's angle for selling this at that price. Then again, next year's lineup for Wii isn't all that bright.

Shikamaru Ninja

任天堂 の 忍者
Well he's had to compete against Miyamoto and Tezuka for a long time. How else is an individual supposed to react to that tag team?

The R&D1 designers were more a of a cohesive team than EAD. Which is also why creatively they had much more range in the products they produced. Now all of those guys are in their 50s-60s and thus have to be spread around in supervisory positions.

This game looks ultra fun though.

loosus

Banned
This looks like shit. I guess this is what happens nowadays when you ask a prominent developer to make something new.

[Nintex]

lVObe.jpg

Bulzeeb

this game might be interesting to learn japanese due to all the voice stuff :O but this is just so crazy it scares me

rpmurphy

I'd look forward to this if it didn't look like localization hell.
It's not that bad. Nintendo and iNiS did Elite Beat Agents after all. The issues I think are the budget and whether it can sell, especially at this point in the Wii's life.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
While you're probably right, it doesn't exactly look like a high budget production. Just lock a bunch of Nintendo Europe guys in a room with a video camera for a few days.

Or they could just subtitle it. Europe is pretty used to subtitles.

EDIT: Though that was more focusing on the random TV footage as seen in the first trailer

rpmurphy

But EBA wasn't localized from a Japanese title.
They basically made an entirely new game based on Ouendan. That's a lot more work than it would probably take to localize this. From my observations of the trailers, they'd just need to film or create new video clips and write some new dialogue on top of the usual text translation and recording new voices. It isn't as impossible of a localization as some are making it out to be.

Yes, but it was still a new game. You're comparing a ridiculous localisation to making a new game, and using that as justification for the localisation being reasonable.

rpmurphy

Yes, but it was still a new game. You're comparing a ridiculous localisation to making a new game, and using that as justification for the localisation being reasonable.
My point is that Elite Beat Agents was the result of Nintendo's decision to localize Ouendan. Compared to that, this is far from being as difficult. I still don't see what is about this game's content that makes people think it is impossible to bring over.

randomkid

pretty annoyed this won't be coming out here. the team has never lead me wrong and as usual the style is impeccable. sigh indeed.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
I see they managed to sneak in a few Nintendo references.

That bar game looks quite tricky. Or maybe it's because I have the radio on in the background.

Top Bottom