• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Console size comparison (feat. PS3!)

Zaptruder

Banned
Ghost said:
By who? I thought the demos at E3 were still all being run on dev kits not in final casing? Thats what the gamesradar people said they saw on the (stupid) sonic crash story.

For the record i dont care about the weight, you are right theres not many people who will worry about it. I never moaned about the size of it either, But it seems if you are comparing console size theres no reason to compare what comes out the other end of the console.

Because the only legitimate reason to complain about size is a real lack of space. Otherwise, it's more an issue of size contributing to aesthetic disaster. Of course, there are many ways to shape something regardless of size into something pleasing, so it's really a non-issue.

The quiet as PSTwo line comes from Sony, take it with your preferred serving of salt if you will, but they also managed to drop the price bombs, so it's not like they were lying about everything this conference (or anything at all?)

maxmars

Marty Chinn said:
Well doing some thinking you can only conclude that the power adaptor is built in. Factoring in how heavy it is, factoring in it's a standard plug adaptor, and factoring in that it would be VERY bad to have no AC adaptor with a standard plug where someone can hook up a power cord and blow out their system, it's probably a safe assumption that the power source is built in.

Yep that kind of plug is used in PCs and notebooks.. The power adaptor is right _behind_ the plug, so that hints at an internal adaptor.

Wunderchu

real world picture of Xbox 360 next to original PS2:
Kon Tiki said:
My cluttered mess. I am moving my Digitial Cable box to that open space before my Dell 2005fpw arrives.

dsc00126.jpg
[source: http://www.ga-forum.com/showthread.php?p=2288398#post2288398 ]

DenogginizerOS

BenjaminBirdie's Thomas Jefferson
Dr_Cogent said:
It's funny how the tables have turned. Xbox got laughed at for being such a behemoth, but now PS3 takes the crown!

Its funny how fanboyism makes one see like Ray Charles with dirty sunglasses in a sandstorm with a crab from Genji 2 stuck on their head.

Zaptruder

Banned
DaCocoBrova said:
Sony should use an external PSU.

I agree... the first impression I got from new pics of the PS3 is that, it was fatter.

It's still an ok looking console though. Wonder if it still has that mirrored sheen.

Zaptruder

Banned
teiresias said:
Premium has mirrored sheen, tard pack is matte, at least according to PR pictures.

It's sad that I would pay the extra $100 just for the shininess.

Ah, the price of been an aesthetics whore.

Rlan

Speaking of Comparisons, I'm having a oddly hard time trying to find the Spec Sheets for the Xbox 360 and the PS3. Anyone have them on hand, or a link to them?

Last Hope

It is nice that Xbox is actually smaller this time around however, if you were to add a HDDVD drive in the mix, the Xbox would certainly take up more space.

Mau ®

Is it true that thwe PS3 is black matte isntead of glossy black.

The press release has the PS3 at black matte but at E3 is still glossy black.

Glossy Black FTW!!!

Zaptruder said:
Its been reported as been as noisy as the redesigned PS2 (PSTwo).

i.e. not very noisy at all.

Because Ghost, weight and size is really pretty immaterial, unless you're honestly telling me you're going to put your $600 device on a table that can't even support 5 kilos (in which case you deserve a wrecked PS3).

The real issue, despite the crap throwing, as it always has been, is just how good the thing looks.

It's a decent design, better than the Xbox, on par with the X360. It's heavy, but it's not a laptop, nor is it a handheld.

If you're going to have a cry about it's size because your house is so goddamn cramped, then it would be extremely hypocritical to not consider the X360 powerbrick if you're comparing.

But just to one up you one more, I do indeed have my X360 powerbrick sitting on my handmade shelves, albeit discreetly hidden. Size nor weight is not an issue, I'm happy to have the X360, PS3 and Wii sitting among my AV equipment. I wouldn't have the original Xbox there though.

such valid points.

DaCocoBrova

Finally bought a new PSP, but then pushed the demon onto someone else. Jesus.
Bufbaf said:
bufsize.jpg

..should do it, i think - anyone might add the mirroring, i am teh ps-noob ^^

"One of these things is not like the other..."

:lol

watch...this will not be final until TGS i would say....they could still reduce the size of the console by

a)revise the console..maybe produce more effictively and thus reducing the size of the parts by then

or..

b)make last minute changes and have its own version of the power brick, while intently reducing the size of the console by a little bit.

everything may still change, I would say e3 is the precursor to TGS for Ps3 fans.

Wii for now says the wallet.

ghst

thanks for the laugh
Size is an unjustifiably big deal in Japan.

Aesthetics are an unjustifiably big deal in Europe.

Wii FTW (Captain state the obvious).

Timbuktu

xhadoukenx said:

Aesthetics are an unjustifiably big deal in Europe.

Wii FTW (Captain state the obvious).

Design and size does matter though, especially for the other members of my household anyway. You only play games for so many hours a week, but the console is there all the time. I'm pretty sure if I have a PS3 i'll have to pack it away when I'm not playing it. It's so big and you can even stack it. Purely by looks, Wii does look the most high-tech even if it's actually the opposite.

ghst

thanks for the laugh
I guess things are different in family environments,but looking round my room from my amp, to pc, to guitar to VCR (Uhuh, still have one) a consoles wouldnt have any real affect on if Id buy it, neither would how ugly it is.

seanoff

I never thought the original Xbox to be unecessarily large just FUGLY beyond my comprehension. Why would an industrial designer allow that out???!!!!

The PS3 and Xbox360 are no great lookers and they are that size for reasons that their much more advanced tech is no problem on the Wii with its more "mature" tech.

I come from the other side, small isn't better. Really good HT/hi-fi amps are large for a reason, so are the non-Wii consoles, as are good speakers.

Big =/ bad

Zaptruder

Banned
xhadoukenx said:

(unjustifiably? Undeniably?)

"(undeniably) big deal"

Not it isn't.

If they can be happy using VCRs, then they really shouldn't have a problem finding room for something the size of an Xbox or a PS3 (which can have a much smaller footprint).

It's really just aesthetics... Xbox had the size to compound it's poor aesthetics (leading to even poorer aesthetics).

And idiot internet drones continue to repeat memes that more often then not have a half grain of truth that does more to mislead than inform.

Zaptruder said:
(unjustifiably? Undeniably?)

"(undeniably) big deal"

Not it isn't.

If they can be happy using VCRs, then they really shouldn't have a problem finding room for something the size of an Xbox or a PS3 (which can have a much smaller footprint).

It's really just aesthetics... Xbox had the size to compound it's poor aesthetics (leading to even poorer aesthetics).

And idiot internet drones continue to repeat memes that more often then not have a half grain of truth that does more to mislead than inform.

Haha, with your argument here, you make the original word 'unjustifiably' correct. :p

Zaptruder

Banned
Scalemail Ted said:
Haha, with your argument here, you make the original word 'unjustifiably' correct. :p

Well his sentence didn't make grammatical sense, so I was guessing at it.

My argument applies to the 'undeniable' version of his sentence.

If he meant to say "size is a big deal is unjustified in japan.", then yeah, that's what I'm saying too.

oldboy1

Banned
I like that both Sony & Ninty have taken the guide/home button from the X360 controller, it just makes sense to have total control over the console from the armchair.

Now when will they start to incorporate multiple disc trays for the ultimate couch potatoes.

Top Bottom