• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

nVidia RSX...where are the details sony??? (stay far, far away from this thread)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kleegamefan

K. LEE GAIDEN
So E3 has come and gone and we know *even less* about nVidia RSX than we did before (clockspeed mysteriously absent in official specs).....

Did I miss any updates or did SCEI or nVidia give any timeframe for when there would be a tech briefing on RSX (wayt till teh TGS?)

Anyone???

llTll

Banned
in my head, the only reason they are not releasing the specs of the RSX is 1 of 2

1- the RSX is not finished
2- the RSX is less powerful than what xbox 360 has, and sony doesnt want to show this.

and i am guessing its the second one

ghst

thanks for the laugh
Surely as far as gaming goes the video card is now more important than the processor, so why are the big production/hype bucks going into the Cell?

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
We do know a lot about it, officially. It's a G7x chip, 24 pixel shaders. There's plenty of material out there on that. Unofficially we know a few other things, like probably tweaked cache sizes etc.

xhadoukenx said:
Surely as far as gaming goes the Video Card is now more important than the processor, so why are the big production/hype bucks going into the Cell?

Because while there are big dedicated graphics cards companies, there aren't very many people making CPUs aimed at gaming. So someone like Sony needs to make their own investments. PS3 is quite GPU centric, but the CPU will give it legs.

RSX, by all currently available info, is inferior to the Xenos, and Sony doesn't want people to know just how inferior.. since the thing comes with a $600 price tag :lol

Dimmuxx

The Amiga Brotherhood
It's slower than the x360(weak point) and if they would show the specs it would mean massive damage.. :lol

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
tahrikmili said:
RSX, by all currently available info, is inferior to the Xenos, and Sony doesn't want people to know just how inferior.. since the thing comes with a $600 price tag :lol

Both have advantages over the other. It's much of a muchness in many ways..they have different strengths, that's all.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Maxwell House said:
8 ROPs. The GPU seems rather weak.

8 ROPs is generally enough given the bandwidth that might typically be used for the FB. 16 could have been useful, but the cases would have been corner ones, I think. For a long time, many people were saying it wouldn't make sense for Sony to stick 16 ROPs in there.

Doube D

tahrikmili said:

The info you took out of your xbot ass? lol. pathetic

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Dimmuxx said:
It's slower than the x360(weak point) and if they would show the specs it would mean massive damage.. :lol

No, actually...

550 mhz vs. 500 mhz unless you have something that says otherwise. It may not be as powerful, but it's faster.

Agent Icebeezy

Welcome beautful toddler, Madison Elizabeth, to the horde!
There's been a decrease in spec. Probably might never be released due to the fact that a lesser GPU in a PS3 would be a bad selling point. Especially at the price they are asking.

I think the RSX is actually faster than last year but they don't want to show it now because they know that the price sucks your soul, no matter what they throw in it'll be down the drain. It's better if they show the specs later.

acousticvan said:
I think the RSX is actually faster than last year but they don't want to show it now because they know that the price sucks your soul, no matter what they throw in it'll be down the drain. It's better if they show the specs later.

:lol

If they had an upgraded component in there they would have used it to soften the blow of the price.

Francias Castiglione said:
:lol

If they had an upgraded component in there they would have used it to soften the blow of the price.

Does Blueray help them? no
Does Cell processor help them? no
Does tilt controller help them? no
Does free online gaming help them? no

Nightbringer

Don´t hit me for my bad english plase
I have this fear:

Year 2005

SCEI: Ok, developers, the requeriments for making a game in PS3 are 1080p, here you have the GeForce 7800 for making them.
Developers: But the graphics are going to be worse than 360.
SCEI: Use the power of Cell for making things that 360 cannot do.

Year 2006:

SCEI: Ok, developers, now your requieriments are going to be 720p and 540p/1080i.
Developers: Good, now we can get the same graphics than 360.
SCEI: We have downgraded the GPU.
Developers: Boooh.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Nightbringer said:
I have this fear:

Year 2005

SCEI: Ok, developers, the requeriments for making a game in PS3 are 1080p

I probably shouldn't take this seriously, but no, this never happened :lol In fact AFAIK Sony is less strict about resolution requirements than MS (initially) was.

Diablos

At the very least we can expect RSX to be marginally better than Xenos.

PS3 costs so damn much because of Blu Ray and Cell, most likely.

Timedog

good credit (by proxy)
Doube D said:
lol, looks like the xbots are all wearing their team logos.

lol, i know it's so funny, how could ANYONE not blindly huff Sony's farts all day long after that brilliant conference. I mean, did you SEE Raiden?????? They would NEVER do anything like downgrade specs! The NERVE of those xbots!

Raistlin

Diablos said:
At the very least we can expect RSX to be marginally better than Xenos.

PS3 costs so damn much because of Blu Ray and Cell, most likely.

That would be great, but how the hell can we assume this?

Forsete

There was this rumour in C&VG a while back saying Sony had changed something in the system, and as a result it had made the devs very happy. That might have been the HDD though, or it might not have been true at all. :)

Raistlin

briefcasemanx said:
lol, i know it's so funny, how could ANYONE not blindly huff Sony's farts all day long after that brilliant conference. I mean, did you SEE Raiden?????? They would NEVER do anything like downgrade specs! The NERVE of those xbots!

That is brilliant logic.

So because of MS's shit E3 last year, no one should have bought a 360 at launch? :lol

wtf?

aaaaa0

My gut feeling is that the fact that Sony chose to not present any specs at E3 (not even to confirm the CPU and GPU clocks) means it's likely that:

a. Best case, the specs are the same as they were announced last year.
b. Worst case, the specs have been downgraded -- and $599 price + spec downgrade = WEAKPOINT ATTACKED FOR MASSIVE DAMAGE.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
briefcasemanx said:

I wonder how long it'll take some of you to start throwing pricing into the mix as a shield against accusations of trolling. Come on, we already have the conference thrown into the ring, you might as well! :lol

Diablos

Onix said:
That would be great, but how the hell can we assume this?
I'm only expecting it to be marginally (note: marginally, look up the word) better based on what we already have read, by no means am I saying RSX is going to be significantly better than Xenos because the details just aren't there yet.

BluRay in itself is expensive and Cell is obviously a powerhouse but also a very customized, specialized CPU architecture.

Timedog

good credit (by proxy)
Onix said:
That is brilliant logic.

So because of MS's shit E3 last year, no one should have bought a 360 at launch? :lol

wtf?

I said nothing about buying or not buying a ps3. I was talking about my thought that Sony may have downgraded the spec. I'll probably get a ps3 once it's $300.

Nightbringer said:
I have this fear:

Year 2005

SCEI: Ok, developers, the requeriments for making a game in PS3 are 1080p, here you have the GeForce 7800 for making them.
Developers: But the graphics are going to be worse than 360.
SCEI: Use the power of Cell for making things that 360 cannot do.

Year 2006:

SCEI: Ok, developers, now your requieriments are going to be 720p and 540p/1080i.
Developers: Good, now we can get the same graphics than 360.
SCEI: We have downgraded the GPU.
Developers: Boooh.

:lol :lol :(

Timedog

good credit (by proxy)
gofreak said:
I wonder how long it'll take some of you to start throwing pricing into the mix as a shield against accusations of trolling. Come on, we already have the conference thrown into the ring, you might as well! :lol

At the conference they gave basically official confirmation of downgraded specs i.e. the conference is relevant to my position.

Diablos

Jesus people, I'm not all that thrilled with some of Sony's recent moves either, but come on, some of this logic and reasoning is just absurd.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
briefcasemanx said:
do i need to bring out the red arrows pic? No, I really don't think that's necessary.

What has the removal of ports got to do with RSX? Or Cell? Or RAM, or any of the other core specifications of the system?

Because they removed some ports, the rest of the system has to be downgraded also? Right..

Diablos

gofreak said:
What has the removal of ports got to do with RSX? Or Cell? Or RAM, or any of the other core specifications of the system?

Because they removed some ports, the rest of the system has to be downgraded also? Right..
Yeah, it's only a downgrade in terms of what those ports would do individually. If anything it allowed them to not gimp RSX or Cell even further because taking out ports brings down the overall cost.

Look dudes, a lot of us aren't too happy about the PS3 pricetag and the whole situation overall, but let's not take everything so seriously, geez.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Diablos said:
Yeah, it's only a downgrade in terms of what those ports would do individually. If anything it allowed them to not gimp RSX or Cell even further.

I wonder also how the addition of other things like standard HDDs or motion sensing affects this logic! :p I'm sure some would rather not consider such a contradiction..maybe the rest of the system was downgraded, and then upgraded, all at the same time! ;)

Timedog

good credit (by proxy)
gofreak said:

I didn't say it has to be, but i'm guessing that they downgraded it based on their reluctance to give current info, and the fact that they've already shown willingness to downgrade things in order to (i'm guessing) keep the price down. I think it was an over engineered/overambitious project, and now we are about to feel the effects of that. It's all opinion/conjecture, but I never positioned it as anything else. Am I not allowed an opinion?

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
briefcasemanx said:
I didn't say it has to be, but i'm guessing that they downgraded it based on their reluctance to give current info, and the fact that they've already shown willingness to downgrade things in order to (i'm guessing) keep the price down. I think it was an over engineered/overambitious project, and now we are about to feel the effects of that. It's all opinion/conjecture, but I never positioned it as anything else. Am I not allowed an opinion?

OMG. My post above was a joke, but I think it applies really now. How do the other 'upgrades' affect your logic? :lol

Also, you realise that while Sony did not specify something like Cell explicitly in their E3 press release, in subsequent interviews they made reference to the 3.2Ghz clockspeed? I guess it had to be downgraded and they just kept forgetting that! The specs have been discussed before, they're to be taken as announced unless otherwise stated.

Don't get me wrong - could the specs have been changed? For sure, in either direction. But your line of reasoning is completely flawed.

Diablos

fortified_concept said:
RSX is downgraded. Deadmeat confirmed it a week ago.
Deadmeat? Such a reliable source you are mentioning here. :lol

Just because Deadmeat got the last laugh about PS3 price doesn't mean he's right about everything else. I'll wait for more legit sources (read: anyone but Deadmeat) before I believe this news to be "confirmed."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom