• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gravity Rush (Vita) Behind the Scenes (Originally a PS3 project started 3 years ago)

duckroll

The celebrate the Japanese launch of the game this week, the staff for Gravity Daze (Gravity Rush in the US) gave the media a behind the scenes look at the development of the game.

Dengeki Online put an article up 2 days ago: http://news.dengeki.com/elem/000/000/454/454975/

Here is a look at the original proposal for the game:

yQsff.jpg

1d0ce.jpg

I cannot really make out from the photo the exact date the proposal is dated (it's either April 2008 or Jan 2009), but it was proposed by Toyama as a new internal project. The game, known at that point as Gravite, was to be a PS3 "Gravity Action" game for retail. It was targeted at core users, and would support additional episodes delivered as DLC.

Throughout 2009 and 2010, Toyama continued to develop the Gravite idea as a PS3 game with his team. The first concept video they prepared for internal presentation is dated Jan 2009:

jiWFJ.jpg

AW2sw.jpg

A year later, the team put together a game walk through and image board demonstration:

gQYFx.jpg

GWPNp.jpg

They also shared pre-production materials showcasing the tons of character design changes and evolutions the game went through from the early PS3 stages to the eventual Vita game:

RlUDL.jpg

p69Iu.jpg

1laHq.jpg

gTjqE.jpg

So while this is all very interesting to fans of the game and Sony Japan studios, it also brings up a very interesting question about Sony's Japanese development environment. The last game Toyama shipped was Siren Blood Curse for the PS3 in 2008.

It is now 4 years later, and now we learned that he wasn't totally sitting on his ass doing nothing. Right after shipping Blood Curse, he moved on to making a PS3 action game. But somehow, instead of the game coming out on the PS3 in 2010 like a normal game would, somehow Sony lets the entire team and the team lead spend over 3 years on a relatively small scale new IP.

There's probably something seriously wrong here!

Troidal

Actually it now bums me out that it ended up on a smaller screen like Vita, I wonder if budget was an issue. Would have looked really beautiful in HD no doubt.

duckroll

Actually it now bums me out that it ended up on a smaller screen like Vita, I wonder if budget was an issue. Would have looked really beautiful in HD no doubt.

The article doesn't mention the exact reason behind the switch (I imagine the information will pop up somewhere, since Toyama apparently did talk about it), but I imagine it has to do with Sony wanting something to support their new hardware.

So while this is all very interesting to fans of the game and Sony Japan studios, it also brings up a very interesting question about Sony's Japanese development environment. The last game Toyama shipped was Siren Blood Curse for the PS3 in 2008.

It is now 4 years later, and now we learned that he wasn't totally sitting on his ass doing nothing. Right after shipping Blood Curse, he moved on to making a PS3 action game. But somehow, instead of the game coming out on the PS3 in 2010 like a normal game would, somehow Sony lets the entire team and the team lead spend over 3 years on a relatively small scale new IP.

They moved it to Vita as soon as the internal specs were finalized? Doesn't seem that strange to me.

The art looks amazing.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Right after shipping Blood Curse, he moved on to making a PS3 action game. But somehow, instead of the game coming out on the PS3 in 2010 like a normal game would, somehow Sony lets the entire team and the team lead spend over 3 years on a relatively small scale new IP.

That may not be entirely accurate. I thought Studio Japan was pretty fluid about allocating people among different projects. Given the length of time this game appears to have been in pre-production (Siren-> Jan 2010?), I would guess a very small number of people were working on it up to that point, until it went into full production. While it was in pre-production parts of the Siren team may well have been off working on other things.

Whether there's a problem depends on how many people are on his team. If it's a small team, then I don't really see how there is one. Journey took 3 years to develop after all and it's a PSN game.

duckroll

That may not be entirely accurate. I thought Studio Japan was pretty fluid about allocating people among different projects. Given the length of time this game appears to have been in pre-production (Siren-> Jan 2010?), I would guess a very small number of people were working on it up to that point, until it went into full production. While it was in pre-production parts of the Siren team may well have been off working on other things.

A small team, sure. I don't disagree. But the fact remains that their team leaders are all incredibly unproductive because of their management style. Nothing worthwhile comes out of Japan Studio in any reasonable amount of time at all, and they employ quite a number of people. It's really silly.

Bebpo

Banned
Japanese company mismanages staff and lets the teams take forever and lose focus, nothing new to see here. SCEJ and SE have been guilty of this for the last 5 years as well as other major J-devs.

Next gen will be the time for these publishers to put their foot down and start setting up some ground rules for their teams.

If it sells well, I wouldn't be surprised to see an HD port. Sony understandably wants to move Vitas for the time being.

No crap. They're getting 1 game for the time and price of 2. Possibly 3 if they had efficient development practices.

probably budget....

talking about budget outside of GT and TLG, as far as i remember there is no other SCEJ published PS3 game that looks like have AAA level budget. while western SCE have lots of big budget game.

i just wish SCEJ could fund one inhouse/outsourced JRPG with AAA level budget before PS4 come out (for sequel of wild arms, legend of dragoon or new ip or whatever)

panty

Yeah I'd have wanted to see this on the PS3 too but I don't mind. This is my most wanted title for the Vita at this point.

whitehawk

Banned
Looks like a really fantastic game. With Uncharted, Wipeout and Gravity Rush, the Vita has an extremely strong launch lineup.

Also I could easily see them porting this back to the PS3 for a release later this year or early next year.

Ardenyal

Isn't Gravity Rush like a 20 hour game? I don't think there's a huge problem if they have a small team + had to make the switch.

I cannot really make out from the photo the exact date the proposal is dated (it's either April 2008 or Jan 2009)

Proposal reads April 18th, 2008. Thanks for the article, lots of good info. I would've liked them to keep the black hair character model you can see on the 8th picture.

Durante

Maybe from a business perspective. As a gamer I think it's awesome.

Longer development cycles with smaller teams generally result in a much better game than shorter ones with a large team.

eh, wouldn't it be possible that the switch from PS3 to Vita result to extra development time. if they stick with their original plan, Gravite (PS3 ver) may launch much earlier, probably last year, and in smaller scale too because it was planned as PSN title with dlc episodes post launch.

switching to Vita (because Sony need to support Vita with software) may require them to modify most of their asset to suit lower spec Vita and expand the content into a proper retail game.

also, Gravity Daze didn't look like small scale project with that presentation and length of game (supposedly 15+ hours)

GraveHorizon

poop meter feature creep
If I get a Vita, it will probably be with this. Gravity is my favorite power, and I love how it's used from what I've seen in this game. And the art is good, I guess.

I would not buy a PS3 to play it, though.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
A small team, sure. I don't disagree. But the fact remains that their team leaders are all incredibly unproductive because of their management style. Nothing worthwhile comes out of Japan Studio in any reasonable amount of time at all, and they employ quite a number of people. It's really silly.

Whilst that may be true, I think the apparent production time here isn't too crazy. The preproduction seems to have taken a relatively long time, but I doubt there were many people working full time on it during that phase. Up to 2010 they still seem to have been in that phase.

By the timeline in the OP, and the state of the presentation in Jan 2010 (still seemingly concept/storyboard stuff?), I'd guess it entered into fuller production during 2010, and on PS3 too it seems. So that would suggest about two years of production time, including a platform switch...which doesn't seem too crazy to me. The preproduction time, though? Yeah. I dunno what's typical but it does seem to have been a bit long here.

TBH, it's really hard to comment without knowing the numbers of people involved at each stage, but I can't imagine this team was HUGE at any point, and certainly not in the 2008-2010 period.

jaydogg691

I was just looking at a Gravity Rush trailer and saw that some parts were running at a higher quality than the what the final Vita version looks like. It got me thinking that at some point this game might have been a PS3 title and it looks like it was true. The higher quality parts look amazing in HD and it's kind of disappointing to see it at a lower quality. Here's a link of the trailer I was looking at.

http://youtu.be/a0X0FmuVGbU?hd=1&t=23s

Whilst that may be true, I think the apparent production time here isn't too crazy. The preproduction seems to have taken a relatively long time, but I doubt there were many people working full time on it during that phase. Up to 2010 they still seem to have been in that phase.

By the timeline in the OP, and the state of the presentation in Jan 2010 (still seemingly concept/storyboard stuff?), I'd guess it entered into fuller production during 2010, and on PS3 too it seems. So that would suggest about two years of production time, including a platform switch...which doesn't seem too crazy to me. The preproduction time, though? Yeah. I dunno what's typical but it does seem to have been a bit long here.

TBH, it's really hard to comment without knowing the numbers of people involved at each stage, but I can't imagine this team was HUGE at any point, and certainly not in the 2008-2010 period.

yeah, not to mention, making a new ip with new gameplay mechanic took longer than just making a sequel which usually only took 2 years.

Furoba

The art booklet that comes with Gravity Daze is pretty interesting. Includes lot of the older character designs.

Zen

Banned

I'm actually glad that it ended up on the Vita. The input methods really seem to suit the title, and something about the no gravity nature of the gameplay just really suits a new high powered handheld, I feel like it would have been more mundaine as a console experience.

UrbanRats

Oh, that's a bummer.
This is the only Vita game i'm (VERY) interested in, so i'm probably not gonna end up playing it (can't buy a 250€ system for one game).
Though i understand that Sony needed stuff for the new console and also, the gravity mechanic goes well with the gyroscopes inside the console, i guess.
Still: Butthurt for me.

Anyway, love Toyama.

UrbanRats

For those talking about a possible future ps3 port, isn't this game relying heavily on Vita's interactivity possibilities? If the port took one year (from ps3 to vita) i wouldn't presume the reverse to be any easier, unfortunately.

Syn23

From what we've seen it widely uses gyro.
Probably those kind of movements could be assigned to the analog sticks, but it surely would need some work.

duckroll

Probably those kind of movements could be assigned to the analog sticks, but it surely would need some work.

The game doesn't require gyro. You can already play it on the Vita using the analog sticks. The gyro is just an alternate control scheme.

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
The annoying thing I've read is that the game has to be played with the touchscreen, as that's the only way to dodge.

I don't think there is a big chance that will be changed for the US/EU release, but I sure hope so.

Erethian

And they are only shipping 30k I'm Japan, makes me wonder what they are thinking o_o

Shipment figures tend to be a push/pull between retailers and publishers.

So the main reason the initial shipment is 30k is because retailers don't expect it to sell.

Kyoufu

Nothing in the game right now couldn't be mapped to the Dualshock.

What? Sixaxis would easily cover that. But like it's already been said, the gyro controls aren't mandatory.

For some reason I feel that it's better suited for the Vita than the PS3.
Probably because it's been developed for that platform, despite it's origins. Crazy theory, I know.

Maedhros

Nothing in the game right now couldn't be mapped to the Dualshock.

I just hope people stop asking for ports... I mean, that's banneable, right?

That, and the fact that Vita needs these type of games much more than PS3 (which is an already amazing platform, with lots of support).

The game doesn't require gyro. You can already play it on the Vita using the analog sticks. The gyro is just an alternate control scheme.

As far as I know the Slide Kick has no alternative means of control and requires the gyro and touch screen. Checked the options screen as well and didn't see any way to change that.

The size and pacing of the game seem perfectly fit to the handheld. About four hours in now and while I'm sure it'd look better on the big screen, in its current form it feels more at home on the Vita.

What they would have changed to make it more of a PS3 title? No clue.

Interesting, I don't think it would have had as much attention on the PS3, cause on a new platform with few games, something new and different will be automatically noticed and you don't even have to make it all shiny.

I'm looking forward to seeing how this game does in the states and will probably pick it up once the Vita drops in price, it's the launch window game I'm most interested in.

2+2=5

The Amiga Brotherhood
And you can tell that from and off screen indev screenshot?

Yes, look at walls, they are completely flat, everything is brown, no people, no decorations, nothing!
this is gravity rush on ps3, probably it would have been a 2011 game
$
gQYFx.jpg

This is infamous 1, a 2009 game
infamous2_bilder_223238.jpg

It's impossible to not see the differences

EDIT:
sorry that is infamous 2

EDIT2:
this is infamous 1
infamous-20090511025413982_640w.jpg

one of the ugliest pictures of infamous, and it's still better