• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How open is development of Vita apps? Will many more apps come?

loosus

Banned
Girlfriend got a Vita, and while it's an absolutely huge thing, I could see where it could be a replacement for, say, the iPod Touch or even the iPad.

However, it was a huge bummer when we looked in the "app" portion of the PSN store, as there were very, very few apps available. Now, I know Sony will be adding more over time, but is this going to be more like the Zune where we'll maybe have 50 apps by the time the Vita's development life is over? Or, will app development be a priority? Do you have to essentially be a card-carrying Sony developer to make apps, or is that portion of the store open to more developers?

Gen X

Trust no one. Eat steaks.
As a portable gaming device first I some how doubt app development will be a priority. I expect a few now and then but I wouldn't expect the Store to be flooded with hundreds of apps.

Where's my Skype?

Dorfdad

Gold Member
Naw it wont replace IOS and Android stores. I do think the big boys will be there for apps, Hulu, Netflix, Facebook, Twitter etc but 3rd party probably not as much.

However for games I do see it opening up alot more than people think. Mini's and full blow games will basically be a bunch of ios ports with controller schemes tossed in and cost $4.99 plus

PlayStation Suite will allow developers to get apps onto Vita.

As it stands, the SDK version of Suite at present doesn't allow for debug testing on Vita, but it will do shortly.

App progress will depend in how succesful Vita is, coupled with how much Emphasis Sony puts on porting some of the more popular existing apps to the Vita.

If they begin imposing restrictions on implementing new "vita exclusive" features to the porter apps (much like the way Sony and MS impose this in many XBLA/PSN titles) then this will also severely slow down app development for the platform.

slider

Girlfriend got a Vita, and while it's an absolutely huge thing, I could see where it could be a replacement for, say, the iPod Touch or even the iPad.

However, it was a huge bummer when we looked in the "app" portion of the PSN store, as there were very, very few apps available. Now, I know Sony will be adding more over time, but is this going to be more like the Zune where we'll maybe have 50 apps by the time the Vita's development life is over? Or, will app development be a priority? Do you have to essentially be a card-carrying Sony developer to make apps, or is that portion of the store open to more developers?

It'd be interesting is segments of the market looked at it like that but, as you note, it'd need Apps and lots of them. I don't see it happening myself (the former that is, rather than the later).

Fingers crossed it'll be relatively easy to develop small apps for folk. I think someone posted a Yoshida tweet in another thread about "PS Suite" coming later this year but I've no idea if that's only applicable to games (although I don't see why it would be).

DiscoJer

I really think Sony should just open it up to Android apps. The Playstation Suite was a nice idea, but considering the Vita has launched in all regions and there is nothing really happening with it...other than tweets that it is coming later this year.

Then again, I think Sony could have launched Vita branded tablets, too. A 7" one competing wtih the Nook Color and Kindle Fire, and a larger one maybe to compete with the iPad. Put buttons on the bezel or something.

Instead, Sony has a range of android tablets, plus the recent version of the Walkman which runs Android and is basically like an iPod Touch. And their e-readers. Sony is basically competing with itself.

loosus

Banned
Yeah, this seems like a total waste if they don't open it up some. I could really see the Vita being a "third pillar" in the handheld market, after iOS and pure Android, if they pushed it. But if it's locked down like a traditional console, it doesn't have a chance to even make a dent. Which is a shame because it's one of the few mobile operating systems that seems to have mostly gotten the interface "right," other than the big players.

MultiCore

After the PS3 and PSP, don't expect anything other than maximum security for Vita.

Open? Sony? Yeah, they've shown they have no interest in 'open development.'

If you're comparing it to PSN, then I'd expect parity there, similar to XBL, but that's not what I'd consider Open.

Huff

Banned
After the PS3 and PSP, don't expect anything other than maximum security for Vita.

Open? Sony? Yeah, they've shown they have no interest in 'open development.'

If you're comparing it to PSN, then I'd expect parity there, similar to XBL, but that's not what I'd consider Open.

Apple is about as closed as it gets. I don't think that's what he is referring to

Well see what happens with PS Suite. If it becomes popular we might see some stuff on it. It kinda depends how Sony runs PS Suite as well, as I don't know how game focused they want it to be.

Well still see stuff like Netflix and Twitter, but for general Apple app store like apps its all going to depend on what happens with PS Suite.

Mario

Sidhe / PikPok

To develop Vita native retail or download games you need to be signed up with Sony having gone through their usual process, signed the appropriate agreements and purchased dev kits.

However, they also have their supposedly more open PS Suite thing on there. I'm not sure I understand it entirely but that is more open as far as I know.

androvsky

Sony has been pretty clear publicly that PS Suite is available for non-game apps. As for how open it is, I managed to get into the closed beta, so it's probably going to be fairly open. ;)

AkuMifune

Banned
I don't need any more apps. Though if some wizard would like to create a Steam app with remote play from my PC I'd be pretty happy.

patsu

I don't need any more apps. Though if some wizard would like to create a Steam app with remote play from my PC I'd be pretty happy.

Yes I think if they can come up with unique apps, especially gaming focused ones, I think it would be very interesting.

Don't fancy the FaceBook app myself. Was expecting them to jazz it up, and at least have a Timeline addition too. OTOH, the Twitter app is examplar.

At this stage, missing app is better than subpar/lousy/stinky app.

see5harp

I'd rather they get the native apps running smoothly first. They need to streamline friends/messaging/party along with content manager.

patsu

The "best" case is for them to invent a new category of casual entertainment games based on your own family media, and your Internet life + friends.

PlayStation Suite will allow developers to get apps onto Vita.

As it stands, the SDK version of Suite at present doesn't allow for debug testing on Vita, but it will do shortly.
But does it offer a simulator for PS Vita? What type of programming language does it support for the Vita?

patsu

But does it offer a simulator for PS Vita? What type of programming language does it support for the Vita?

The PS Suite simulator runs on a PC for debugging/prototyping purposes.

Vita will need a PS Suite run-time instead. And yes, it is being developed according to Sony top brass.

PS Suite uses C# for development regardless of what hardware the app/game runs on.

The PS Suite simulator runs on a PC for debugging/prototyping purposes.

Vita will need a PS Suite run-time instead. And yes, it is being developed according to Sony top brass.

PS Suite uses C# for development regardless of what hardware the app/game runs on.

Thanks for the info.

Top Bottom