• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Famitsu Gives Kid Icarus: Uprising 40/40

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
Wtf aren't people normally skeptical of perfect Famitsu scores? I thought you couldn't trust them these days o_O

Ultimadrago

What was so deeply flawed about Nintendogs? If anything The Wind Waker's score should've discouraged people. One of my favorite games ever but that game is much more deeply flawed than Nintendogs is and that got a perfect score as well.

Silence! Wind Waker deserved its perfect score (besides that whole end game treasure hunt)

Throw in FFXIII-2 and Skyward Sword as examples instead.

tolkir

List of perfect scores from Famitsu

- The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time (1998, Nintendo, for Nintendo 64)
- Soulcalibur (1999, Namco, for Dreamcast)
- Vagrant Story (2000, Square Co., for PlayStation)
- The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker (2003, Nintendo, for Nintendo GameCube)
- Nintendogs (2005, Nintendo, for Nintendo DS)
- Final Fantasy XII (2006, Square Enix, for PlayStation 2)
- Super Smash Bros. Brawl (2008, Nintendo, for Wii)
- Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots (2008, Konami, for PlayStation 3)
- 428: Fūsa Sareta Shibuya de (2008, Sega, for Wii)
- Dragon Quest IX: Sentinels of the Starry Skies (2009, Square Enix, for Nintendo DS)
- Monster Hunter Tri (2009, Capcom, for Wii)
- Bayonetta (2009, Sega, for Xbox 360)
- New Super Mario Bros. Wii (2009, Nintendo, for Wii)
- Metal Gear Solid: Peace Walker (2010, Konami, for PlayStation Portable)
- Pokémon Black and White (2010, Nintendo, for Nintendo DS)
- The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword (2011, Nintendo, for Wii)
- The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim (2011, Bethesda Softworks, for Xbox 360 & PlayStation 3)
- Final Fantasy XIII-2 (2012, Square Enix, for Xbox 360 & PlayStation 3)
- Kid Icarus: Uprising (2012, Nintendo, for Nintendo 3DS)

First perfect score for 3DS. Second for Sakurai.

All Famitsu reviews are paid for and can't be trusted, unless a game you like gets a score you think is too high or too low. Welcome to GAF ;)

The thing with Famitsu's 40/40 is that they *used* to mean something. I think they gave out more perfect scores in the last 5 years than they have their entire history previously.

Tucah

you speak so well
The thing with Famitsu's 40/40 is that they *used* to mean something. I think they gave out more perfect scores in the last 5 years than they have their entire history previously.

Twice as many perfect scores. And one of those went to FFXIII-2.

Oh I know, I'm just poking fun at how a lot of us, me included, react by getting over hyped or a bit disappointed when something we're interested in gets a 40 or a 20 or something.

ReyBrujo

Because the game industry hasn't advanced enough to be able to ship, as a whole, one near-perfection title per month (•ิ_•ิ)? I used to think perfect scores should be seldom given, but why 5/5 stars can appear regularly but not a 40/40 (or a 10 for IGN/Gamespot)?

Anything wrong with that? Wouldn't it mean there have been more quality titles in the last five years than in their entire history? It could also mean nowadays reviewers nitpick less than before, thus their scores are better for the casual consumer than the hardcore consumer (which would explain why hardcore consumers treat those scores with disdain).

Well, a 40/40 still means something... that the publisher is willing to spend big bucks to ensure good publicity.

Gravijah

Because the game industry hasn't advanced enough to be able to ship, as a whole, one near-perfection title per month (•ิ_•ิ)? I used to think perfect scores should be seldom given, but why 5/5 stars can appear regularly but not a 40/40 (or a 10 for IGN/Gamespot)?

5 stars isn't a perfect score?

List of perfect scores from Famitsu

- The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time (1998, Nintendo, for Nintendo 64)
- Soulcalibur (1999, Namco, for Dreamcast)
- Vagrant Story (2000, Square Co., for PlayStation)
- The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker (2003, Nintendo, for Nintendo GameCube)
- Nintendogs (2005, Nintendo, for Nintendo DS)
- Final Fantasy XII (2006, Square Enix, for PlayStation 2)
- Super Smash Bros. Brawl (2008, Nintendo, for Wii)
- Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots (2008, Konami, for PlayStation 3)
- 428: Fūsa Sareta Shibuya de (2008, Sega, for Wii)
- Dragon Quest IX: Sentinels of the Starry Skies (2009, Square Enix, for Nintendo DS)
- Monster Hunter Tri (2009, Capcom, for Wii)
- Bayonetta (2009, Sega, for Xbox 360)
- New Super Mario Bros. Wii (2009, Nintendo, for Wii)
- Metal Gear Solid: Peace Walker (2010, Konami, for PlayStation Portable)
- Pokémon Black and White (2010, Nintendo, for Nintendo DS)
- The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword (2011, Nintendo, for Wii)
- The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim (2011, Bethesda Softworks, for Xbox 360 & PlayStation 3)
- Final Fantasy XIII-2 (2012, Square Enix, for Xbox 360 & PlayStation 3)
- Kid Icarus: Uprising (2012, Nintendo, for Nintendo 3DS)

First perfect score for 3DS. Second for Sakurai.

Only the first three deserved it. Everything else is 35+ at best. :p

Jonnyram

Sakurai writes a column for Famitsu and has had four books published by Enterbrain (compilations of said column).
Slight conflict of interests here, but hey.

Western gaming reviewers don't have any credibility to destroy. They could give every game a perfect score and no one would notice.

Anything wrong with that? Wouldn't it mean there have been more quality titles in the last five years than in their entire history? It could also mean nowadays reviewers nitpick less than before, thus their scores are better for the casual consumer than the hardcore consumer (which would explain why hardcore consumers treat those scores with disdain).

Look someone straight in the eyes and tell them that Nintendogs deserved a perfect score.

nyong

Banned
Not at all expected, but very cool. Can't wait to see the Western reviews. I'm getting a very good feeling about this one.

They gave RE:R a 39/40...I mean, it's a pretty good game but hardly near perfect. As others have mentioned, a 40/40 seems to happen far more often from Famitsu nowadays. I'm not sure what it really means anymore.

They gave RE:R a 39/40...I mean, it's a pretty good game but hardly near perfect. As others have mentioned, a 40/40 seems to happen far more often from Famitsu nowadays. I'm not sure what it really means anymore.

It means four people liked the game enough to give it a 10/10 each.

Only the first three deserved it. Everything else is 35+ at best. :p

Regardless of whether they deserved perfect scores; I think most here can agree that those games were fairly high quality. Instead of spending pages complaining how Famitsu's 40/40 doesn't mean anything we can likely infer based on trends that it is a high quality game even if it might not be perfect.

Top Bottom