• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT2| Hyper-Athletic Speed And Mass And Weight and Power

it would be pretty incredible to have a halo game with level scale that large. imagine being that player in the lower right hand corner, preferably with a warthog, exploring that environment with those towers (?) looming large in the background but growing in scale as you make your way towards them before finally getting close enough to investigate fully. have that entire "bowl" be the level with various objectives.
56YCT.png

GhaleonEB

The last five miunutes of that film and the unbroken story/action sequence it contains is absolutely brilliant. Also
Do not ever fuck with Papa Mohican, under any circumstances.

Do not watch if you haven't seen the film: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ah9XCamPyKA&feature=related

Yup, it's an incredible sequence. Almost wordless, it collides multiple character arcs and resolves the entire story almost entirely through action. Gorgeously filmed, heartbreakingly well acted, perfectly scored action. It's ten minutes were I have to remind myself to breathe.

Tashi, Dax: go watch. Not the clip (which is the ending of the film), but the movie. Seriously.

lybertyboy

Thinks the Evil Empire is just misunderstood.
Yup, it's an incredible sequence. Almost wordless, it collides multiple character arcs and resolves the entire story almost entirely through action. Gorgeously filmed, heartbreakingly well acted, perfectly scored action. It's ten minutes were I have to remind myself to breathe.

Tashi, Dax: go watch. Not the clip (which is the ending of the film), but the movie. Seriously.

True story, my family vacationed at Chimney Rock, NC when I was around 10. The first time I watched Last of the Mohicans, I freaked out over the whole last sequence because we have home movies of us running around those same areas, including the waterfall.

Daniel Day-Lewis. Loincloth.

WOULD.

True story, my family vacationed at Chimney Rock, NC when I was around 10. The first time I watched Last of the Mohicans, I freaked out over the whole last sequence because we have home movies of us running around those same areas, including the waterfall.

That was filmed near Chimney Rock? I go there every summer. Absolutely gorgeous. (I haven't watched The Last of the Mohicans yet.)

TheOddOne

Everytime I see this Halo 4 concept art, I say to myself: Please let you be Halo 4’s Halo level.
I hope 343 isn't teasing/trolling us with that image. Cause I wanna roam that place so much right now.

You're information explosion makes me think about something else though, will Halo 4 keep the normal campaign structure of 11 to 15 "levels" or will 343 put their own spin on it?

I have no idea, I'm kind of guessing tonight will be my practice run. Here's a game of someone almost getting the 5 million, and they're at the 3 hour mark.

Says he did it on Easy, I doubt it would take as long on a harder difficulty level, and I get the feeling you would need to be on a harder difficulty level to get it.

Had a quick google:

The last three trophy skulls do in fact require that you play on Legendary, with the last skull achieved at 10 million points.

With some patience, you can get a high score using the Chopper on Lost Platoon or the Ghost on Last Exit.

Seems a bit too crazy lol!

daedalius

it would be pretty incredible to have a halo game with level scale that large. imagine being that player in the lower right hand corner, preferably with a warthog, exploring that environment with those towers (?) looming large in the background but growing in scale as you make your way towards them before finally getting close enough to investigate fully. have that entire "bowl" be the level with various objectives.

Would be impressive if the 360 had enough horsepower to actually make a giant vista like that 100% traversible. Maybe with a few cleverly placed load walls...

I don't think we've released concept art that isn't related to or literally an environment you'll explore.

ZING!

I want to work at 343 making things in 3d to explore, like big/awesome/amazing environments.

Hey You

You shut your whore mouth! :p Black Ops had some brilliant maps, Jungle and Firing Range are both easily on par with, or better than Nuketown. I think Nuketown was popular because of the type of crazy play such a small map allowed, but if was far from being the best map in the game. Never mind the only good map.

EDIT: It would be nice to have playlist specific double exp weekends though. I wouldn't even care about the double exp. If they had a map like the Pit on constant rotation I would play the hell out of it for those two days lol.

I really miss having something similar to Double XP weekends in Reach. It was awesome having both Double XP and having something new to play each weekend.

It's too bad Bungie didn't do something similar (super jackpot weekends is half of what I'm talking about). I wonder if something like that was in Shishka's plans before he went to 343?

I don't think we've released concept art that isn't related to or literally an environment you'll explore.

In that case, I hope 343 let's us explore these area's without the need to shoot stuff first.

Which brings me to the point that I wanted to make about the beginning of Halo 4, I wonder how long we get in wallow in our surroundings before we face our first enemy.

CyReN

This is a weird issue.

I have Halo Reach (Game on demand) and Halo Anniversary in my disc tray. When they are like that and I try and launch Halo Reach GoD it will only do anniversary maps. Is this just a weird issue that's just happening to me?

This is a weird issue.

I have Halo Reach (Game on demand) and Halo Anniversary in my disc tray. When they are like that and I try and launch Halo Reach GoD it will only do anniversary maps. Is this just a weird issue that's just happening to me?
It does it to me too, it launches the Reach mp suite from the disc.

This is a weird issue.

Not just you. I think it only happens with Quickplay, go to Game Library and there should be a normal Reach option.

cory021

Neo Member
Here's my idea for Halo 4's playlist set-up. Instead of choosing one playlist from among nearly 20 other playlists, there are only 5 playlists: Squad (4v4, 5v5)) , BTB, FFA, Firefight, and Action Sack. However, once you pick a playlist, a stylized checklist pops up with a sort of parameters for each sort of playlist. These parameters would essentially let the player pick and choose specifically what they want to play.

Lets say you want to play Team Objective. You'd select the Squad playlist and the checklist with about 5 options pops up. By default, "Slayer" and "Bomb/Flag Objective" are highlighted. First, we have to deselect the "Slayer" option to get the classic objective experience. Since you feel like expanding your horizons, you can highlight "Hill/Territory Objective" to allow for gametypes such as Territories and KotH to be searched for.

Bam, a lot less cluttered than Reach and allows for an experience catered specifically for each player.

Here's my idea for Halo 4's playlist set-up. Instead of choosing one playlist from among nearly 20 other playlists, there are only 5 playlists: Squad (4v4, 5v5)) , BTB, FFA, Firefight, and Action Sack. However, once you pick a playlist, a stylized checklist pops up with a sort of parameters for each sort of playlist. These parameters would essentially let the player pick and choose specifically what they want to play.

Let's say you want to play Team Objective. You'd select the Squad playlist and the checklist with about 5 options pops up. By default, "Slayer" and "Bomb/Flag Objective" are highlighted. First, we have to deselect the "Slayer" option to get the classic objective experience. Since you feel like expanding your horizons, you can highlight "Hill/Territory Objective" to allow for gametypes such as Territories and KotH to be searched for.

Bam, a lot less cluttered than Reach and allows for an experience catered specifically for each player.

Unfortunately I don't think clutter was the problem; the problem was that the number of playlists thinned them out as a whole. Your idea is good as far as organization, but when you start choosing specifics it may be pretty hard to find what you're looking for. For custom games that may work pretty well though.

TheOddOne

Roll on brah.

I've got plenty of these. *puts on pessimism sombrero*
:p

Joking aside though, I think we need to be pessimistic to some degree. Sparths artwork on Rage, Assassins Creed, Prince of Persia and others have really translated well. Then again, all those games had strong engines that did some amazing things. We have yet to see what Halo 4 engine is capable of, but I'm optimistic (and pessimisitc at the same time), that it will be awesome.

Joking aside though, I think we need to be pessimistic to some degree. Sparths artwork on Rage, Assassins Creed, Prince of Persia and others have really translated well. Then again, all those games had strong engines that did some amazing things. We have yet to see what Halo 4 engine is capable of, but I'm optimistic (and pessimisitc at the same time), that it will be awesome.
I'm just trying to control my expectations as best I can.
Last time my mind was given too much room and hope, so I was badly burned with Halo 3.
Before people attack me, there's a lot I love about it!

CyReN

I over hyped H2, played it at a launch night LAN and hated it.

I suggested we play some H1 and my friends literally threw food/food wrappers at me.

I didn't have XBL so I really liked the campaign, I remember squealing like a little girl when they had Hoobastank when you are in the banshee going on.

Speaking of which I'll try and do or at least organize a decent size Michigan Halo 4 LAN after the launch.

Homeboyd

cory021

Neo Member
Unfortunately I don't think clutter was the problem; the problem was that the number of playlists thinned them out as a whole. Your idea is good as far as organization, but when you start choosing specifics it may be pretty hard to find what you're looking for. For custom games that may work pretty well though.
Good point. That's something I just though of when I was writing this. What if a player only selects "Hill/Territory" games. There'd be what, like ten other people who'd he be able to play with? :p

I didn't have XBL so I really liked the campaign, I remember squealing like a little girl when they had Hoobastank when you are in the banshee going on.

I did like the campaign, i was talking about the MP on LAN.

The derp spread BR, firecracker nades and 6 hit melee just really put me off.

Speaking of which I'll try and do or at least organize a decent size Michigan Halo 4 LAN after the launch.

I'm down.

heckfu

Banned
I am hereby resigning as Tashi0106's musical director.

If anyone needs a person with unparalleled musical taste and boyish good looks I'll be free...forever...

Top Bottom