• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Remedy starts hiring spree for "future generation console" game

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Remedy has announced that they are beginning a hiring spree to work on a future generation console game.

Remedy said:
We are hiring!

Remedy Entertainment is looking for world-class talent to work on an unannounced project targeted at future generation consoles.

More than 20 new positions will become available within the next few months. The first batch of positions will go live as soon as Friday 30th of March.

Interested in being part of a team on the very brink of creating the games of the future?

Watch this space.
Source: http://www.remedygames.com/jobs

SteeloDMZ

Banned
Can't fucking wait for Alan Wake 2. Remedy = Masters of atmosphere.

I do hope they get some guys that are good with facial technology, since that's their weakness.

Globox_82

Banned
Remedy Entertainment has announced it is hiring over 20 new staff to work on a game for future platforms.

"Remedy Entertainment is looking for world-class talent to work on an unannounced project targeted at future generation consoles," posted the Finnish Alan Wake and Death Rally studio. "More than 20 new positions will become available within the next few months."

Remedy said the first batch of positions would go live nexct week.

"Interested in being part of a team on the very brink of creating the games of the future? Watch this space," it added.

Alan Wake's American Nightmare on XBLA and a PC port of the original Alan Wake were the last outings for Remedy - but the studio told NowGamer back in January that it has one eye on future consoles, with franchise boss Oskari Häkkinen saying Remedy "is a relatively small team compared to other teams around the world," but is "working with the Alan Wake technology and taking that forward."

On reports of the next-gen facial tech in development at Remedy, Häkkinen said: "Well, I can’t say too much. Of course we’re looking at improving our technology all the time. We’ve done a hell of a lot of work on that."
http://www.nowgamer.com/news/129349..._unannounced_project_for_future_consoles.html

http://www.gufuyourself.com/2012/03/22/remedy-announces-plans-to-hire-for-next-gen-project/

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
Moving onto next generation consoles != dev'ing for next Xbox, PS4, Wii-U

I mean, they could be Xbox/PS4

Misfits

Neo Member
alan wake 2. yes please.

does this mean they won't be releasing any downloadable content for american nightmare? i thought they might be working on some new maps or episodes to fill the gap between the first and second games.

At this point, late 2013 is a lock no matter what Sony/MS try and tell us.

Not necessarily, videogames and videogame hardware are always delayed. Always. So 2014 is possible.

Also, why does it say next gen consoles if we assume it's AW2 Xbox exclusive?

Diversionary tactic?

Who owns the AW IP? Could it go multiplatform?

A different IP?

This is another clear indiction next gen is somewhat underway.

20 people though guys, it's more like preproduction than full swing, so any 2013 timeline is still not locked imo.

RPGamer92

Banned
Not necessarily, videogames and videogame hardware are always delayed. Always. So 2014 is possible.

Diversionary tactic?

Who owns the AW IP? Could it go multiplatform?

A different IP?

This is another clear indiction next gen is somewhat underway.

20 people though guys, it's more like preproduction than full swing, so any 2013 timeline is still not locked imo.
They could make a 360/720 AW2 exclusive then a new multiplatform IP

Dabanton

Diversionary tactic?

Probably Because MS themselves have not acknowledged this new machine officially.

So it's all still wink,wink nudge when they talk about next gen consoles.

D

Deleted member 13876

Unconfirmed Member
Remedy owns the Alan Wake IP, but I'm fairly sure it'll remain exclusive.

Balehead

Alan Wake sucks,it's a boring and bad and repetitive shooter..so please don't be Alan Wake 2.

I doubt they'll try anything new now that Alan Wake is established as a franchise. Much safer to stay with that instead of trying something new. Wouldn't mind them doing something else though.

Matll

I was wondering what was Remedy up to when today I went to eat to one of my schools restaurants that's inside Dipoli and in the lobby in an information panel there was info about a meeting reserved for Remedy. Now I know.

20 new positions? Wow, thay are at about 60 now, right

Indeed, so it seems like quite a significant expansion (for them). I'm hoping it's Alan Wake 2, but I'm open to anything; Remedy really impressed me with their last few games so I'd like the franchise to live on.

Also woop! GUFU article I wrote up got linked in here :)

[/B]
Yup. I remember that long time ago there was some PC demo presentation AW and it was open world. Looked amazing. I know game was originally supposed to be OW

I think it was scrapped very early in development for some reason though :(

I can't complain about the end product as I thought the gameplay worked with the narrative extremely well.

But it'd be interesting to see them go open world. Bright Falls felt like 'real place' in AW's closed (but still fairly spacious) environments, that x10 would be amazing.

GCX

The game has probably been in pre-production since Alan Wake's release. We know that the whole studio didn't wok on American Nightmare and AW PC port was outsourced.

D

Deleted member 13876

Unconfirmed Member
Don't see the benefit of open world narrative wise or otherwise for this franchise so I hope they stay clear from it.

Rad-

I don't know why people want AW to be open world. You can't achieve that same atmosphere with open world. That's also why Remedy dropped the idea pretty quickly.

It's nice to see how strong PC sales of Alan Wake jumpstarted the company into hiring for their next console exclusive game. The PC gaming community thanks you for that Remedy!

squidyj

It's nice to see how strong PC sales of Alan Wake jumpstarted the company into hiring for their next console exclusive game. The PC gaming community thanks you for that Remedy!

Well to be fair 'targeted' doesn't necessarily mean exclusive but if they're still being published through Microsoft then it's a good bet.

The release of the PC version would have done very little to actually cause them to start hiring new employees. Whatever their next game is (hopefully AW2) has probably been planned for many months and this whole hiring spree is probably a result of their publisher (most likely Microsoft) giving them the final green light on the project. Now that they know this project will become their next major release and funding has been secured they are able to hire more people. Don't get me wrong, the PC release has certainly been successful but there is no way that a game that release just over one month ago persuaded them to hire 20+ more employees. Also if you remember, Remedy didn't even do the PC port of the game. They outsourced the conversion to a different Finnish development studio. Why? Because most likely the core internal Remedy team is very busy on something big.

TL:DR Whatever Remedy is creating has most likely been in development for months and this escalation in hiring is just a standard result as the project gets more serious. The PC version of AW1 has done very little for Remedy on a whole other than help establish a franchise, get in touch with the needs of modern day PC development, and make a respectable amount of money on the side.

Also, this is coming from someone who got 1500/1500 gamerscore on the Xbox 360 version of AW1, owns AW:American Nightmare, and bought the PC version of AW1 day one.

I don't see PC sales in relation to this, which has been probably been planned for months, in the slightest.

Good luck playing AW2 on the PC at launch, we all know who's bankrolling this.

pakkit

Banned
AW: American Nightmare lacked the narrative drive that helped me marathon the original. I hope the sequel does the series justice.

Top Bottom