• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Vita sold 66K in France in a month

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!

Auto_aim1

MeisaMcCaffrey
That's slightly disappointing considering it was a launch month. Although, the 3DS is averaging at 72k (874k/12) per month, so it doesn't sound too bad.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
Not great, but not terrible either.

They say it's one of the worst platform launch saleswise.

Slow launch + slow weekly sales means the installed base is tiny... and a drastic move -such as a price drop- now seems obligatory to keep developpers investments on the platform.

Musiol

In Poland (still growing market, but it very dynamic) it's over 4000 consoles after first month. If we take our average earnings, which is around €500 (minimal wage is €260) - that's impressive numbers.

The Vita's performance reminds me of Meursault's struggles with an overwhelming, existential despair in Albert Camus' The Stranger.

Nilaul

In Poland (still growing market, but it very dynamic) it's over 4000 consoles after first month. If we take our average earnings, which is around €500 (minimal wage is €260) - that's impressive numbers.

A growing market which no other console maker is interested in. Wrongly. During Euro there should be a boost in all portables, as foreigners will be buying but Im not expecting too much to happen, for vita though.

Musiol

A growing market which no other console maker is interested in. Wrongly. During Euro there should be a boost in all portables, as foreigners will be buying but Im not expecting too much to happen, for vita though.

Probably and if you compare prices of games - we have it much cheaper than other EU countries. For example - premier games are at €45 and often got fast price drops. Not so big as UK one, but it's still impressive.

Sales only mean so much because we don't know the full picture. Namely we don't know how this fits into Sony's expectations, and what the gameplan is for the rest of the year. They may feel that the sales now are in line, but will want to stimulate sales this holiday season with a price drop. Who knows? Should know a lot more by E3, but right now we just don't know the full story and it is all conjecture at this point.

One thing you can take from that is that there is about a 2:1 attach rate with physical release games, not including digital sales. Add digital sales and it should at least be a 3:1. Not bad for a launch, and that should be encouraging to publishers knowing people are buying games for the system.

Am I the only one that thinks it's really bad for the industry that a launch with such a good line up is failing to be big by any reasonable measure?

It's certainly not sending a good message to publishers and console makers.

Wildesy

Maybe the problem aint the price.. but its size? Just saying. Do people really want a portable that size? And Im not talking about the people on Neogaf, but the people out there.

Surely the problem is its game library - or lack thereof?

Sales only mean so much because we don't know the full picture. Namely we don't know how this fits into Sony's expectations, and what the gameplan is for the rest of the year. They may feel that the sales now are in line, but will want to stimulate sales this holiday season with a price drop. Who knows? Should know a lot more by E3, but right now we just don't know the full story and it is all conjecture at this point.

One thing you can take from that is that there is about a 2:1 attach rate with physical release games, not including digital sales. Add digital sales and it should at least be a 3:1. Not bad for a launch, and that should be encouraging to publishers knowing people are buying games for the system.

Attach rates only matter if the install base is good. 3 games per system is terrible if nobody is buying the system itself.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
eh forgive me, English is not my first language :|

Mine neither, I just wanted to point out that it is already selling pretty bad in Japan and Europe. A price drop can't be that far off, if Sony doesn't want 3rd parties to abandon the ship.

...and if I sell 20 units of my new Super Tiger X portable and all 20 buyers snap up 10 games each, that'll really encourage publishers!

High attach rates on a low-selling system are positive only insofar as they suggest there's a passionate niche to be served.

Attach rates only matter if the install base is good. 3 games per system is terrible if nobody is buying the system itself.

You mean nobody bought a Vita?

...and if I sell 20 units of my new Super Tiger X portable and all 20 buyers snap up 10 games each, that'll really encourage publishers!

High attach rates on a low-selling system are positive only insofar as they suggest there's a passionate niche to be served.

66K in a month is a lot more than 20 people. lol. Look I am not arguing that Sony can live on good attach rates alone, they have to sell systems obviously. We don't know what's going on in their heads. This all could be playing out like they wanted it and the second stage was always to drop the price by the end of this year.

Top Bottom