• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: ARM-based Xbox ‘lite’ coming in 2013, Xbox 360 successor later, insider claims

http://www.bgr.com/2012/03/22/arm-b...2013-xbox-360-successor-later-insider-claims/

Microsoft had intended to unveil its next-generation Xbox console during the annual E3 conference this year according to a BGR source, but it now looks as though that won’t happen — the company has gone on record in stating, “we can confirm that there will be no talk of new Xbox hardware at E3 or anytime soon.” According to “MS Nerd,” an insider with a good track record of leaking unannounced information regarding Microsoft’s plans, the Redmond-based company is currently working on not one but two Xbox consoles that will launch in the coming years. Read on for more.

“My understanding is that we’ll see a Xbox device in late 2013 which does Arcade-style games & all the current & future media apps with Kinect (with near-mode),” MS Nerd wrote on Reddit while fielding user-submitted questions. “It will be an ARM-based platform price-competitive with the Apple TV (if you own a Kinect already).”

A low-cost Xbox gaming console that works alongside the company’s popular Kinect motion and voice-based controller could better-position the company to combat the increasing popularity of casual mobile games while Microsoft continues to work on its Xbox 360 successor. Such a device could also feature deep Windows Phone integration.

“At some point after that, we’ll see a Xbox Next, a true successor to the 360,” MS Nerd continued. “Details about it are very hazy, except that, like the 360, it will do games for core-audiences & the same media apps as the other device, also with Kinect.” He goes on to state that the Kinect controller will likely receive a camera upgrade after the Xbox 360′s successor launches, and a new Kinect may debut around 2015.

Direct link to Reddit: http://www.reddit.com/r/casualiama/comments/r4q5l/iama_someone_who_leaks_information_about/

EDIT: It's some random guy speculating what Microsoft might be releasing and is doing a social experiment to see how many media outlets pick up the news. Lock the thread please for it's stupid, and he is not even an insider.

I do not work for Microsoft, any of it partners or contractors. Its not really a leak. 75% of this stuff is known for the most part if you follow Microsoft carefully.

Now, I simply keep my eyes open for any little bit of information that seems possibly relevant. I have humungous mental maps of how stuff that I've gathered over time might fit future roadmaps.

I said before that this is also a social experiment. It has been very illuminating to observe how a story spreads among the media & how substandard the process of verifying information is. Most of all, I have been amazed by how easily the media & the enthusiast public ignore any attempt at ascertaining the authenticity of sources.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Er..what's the point? The 360 is already that device, at least from a price stand-point.

Cut out DVD drive/360 games that aren't motion controlled. Save cost, apparently. Though, yeah: You'd be stupid to buy what they're advertising in this rumor.

guek

Banned
Waiting until 2015 for a true xbox successor?

Meaning Wii U games will be cemented as the lead platform for around 1-2 years, at which point the next nintendo console will be launched.

[insert shot themselves in the foot comment]

theBishop

Banned
I'll eat my shoe if this happens. It makes no goddamn sense. You don't need a new Xbox-Lite, there's already Xbox360.

The rumors suggesting an Xbox with integrated DVR seem more sensible (but still unlikely) to me. If it's a cheap way to get Kinects in people's houses, I can picture it. But to design a whole new console on new architecture for it not to be a proper 360-successor is bananas.

Older than old, rumor first came out last fall.

Yep. According to the leaker:

I do not work for Microsoft, any of it partners or contractors.

I receive no payment for what I write under the pseudonym 'MS nerd'.

I am not interested in generating an income through this activity. I did consider it when I received job offers from a few different media outlets, but chose not to take them up in the end.

I do this stuff because: 1. I like following this company & its competitors as well as other CE & health technology news. 2. I'm running a 'social experiment' of sorts.

I like this question.

I would prefer more in this vein of questioning than product-roadmap stuff here on reddit. Those are better suited to my Tumblr Ask page.
Its not really a leak. 75% of this stuff is known for the most part if you follow Microsoft carefully. I'm not giving out any trade secrets.

I don't follow your logic on how that WP upgradability bit can cause them harm from competition.
Now, I simply keep my eyes open for any little bit of information that seems possibly relevant. I have humungous mental maps of how stuff that I've gathered over time might fit future roadmaps. I usually have about 10x as many posts that I think of versus what I finally publish.

It also helps to seek & sign up for any and all research & testing opportunities I can get. When its under NDA, I don't give specifics; I'll merely hint at things people have already vaguely guessed.

I said before that this is also a social experiment. It has been very illuminating to observe how a story spreads among the media & how substandard the process of verifying information is. Most of all, I have been amazed by how easily the media & the enthusiast public ignore any attempt at ascertaining the authenticity of sources.

I'll eat my shoe if this happens. It makes no goddamn sense. You don't need a new Xbox-Lite, there's already Xbox360.

The rumors suggesting an Xbox with integrated DVR seem more sensible (but still unlikely) to me. If it's a cheap way to get Kinects in people's houses, I can picture it. But to design a whole new console on new architecture for it not to be a proper 360-successor is bananas.

Precisely.
I bet it's cheaper to just cheapify the current arcade even further, and just market it as the "Kinect", than create a new "lite" console for the causals.

Which is kinda what they're already doing.

pirata

This seems to align quite well with many of the other rumors and leaks that have come out in the recent past. I even remember some of the mods creating a thread amassing information relating to two different XBoxes.

EDIT: Just speculation? Hmmm. I still stand by the notion of this being possible.

Damn the Wii U is gonna get blown the fuck out if thats true.

rolleyes-apu-and-skinner-o.gif

If they wanted to make an system that could play only XBLA games, wouldn't it have to have the same type of processing power to play regular 360 games? It's not like a lot of XBLA games are that much weaker than retail releases anymore.

Also, MSnerd isn't an insider. He/she is a superfan that may or may not get inside info from time to time but most of the blog posts and tweets are purely speculation based on info that comes from other sources.

Pretty obvious example of the lack of inside knowledge was last summer when he/she made tweets saying that Windows Phone was a self contained division within Microsoft and not part of the EDD along with Xbox. Insiders with high level info at least have a basic, rudimentary knowledge of how a companies management is structured.

fake edit-I see I'm beaten

Satchel

Banned
As I've said before a shrunk down DD only Xbox 360 lite for XBLA, GoD and media apps makes sense.

Sold cheap, at a profit, and gives Microsoft more brand presence in the market.

Sony has 4 consoles right now and Nintendo has 3.

Makes sense for MS to have 2.

Tawpgun

The Wii U is essentially a PS3.1 if in terms of power if I recall.

The NextBox and PS4 will probably launch in the same year. Guess they really stuck with the 10 year cycle.

I've maintained all along this dual box thing seems plausible, in fact thinking about it as I type these words it makes an incredible amount of sense.

I've always realized you at some point need to split the hot, expensive graphics hardware that a lot of people dont want, off and sell a separate, cheap box to reach the most casuals. Tying it in with angry birds type games and the Xbox brand and Kinect, it actually sounds like a great idea, and again I actually came to that conclusion as I typed this post LOL.

I was going to come in here and poo poo MSnerd as the only one talking about this, but it does make such a silly amount of sense, I'm inclined to believe it.

The thing this would have over your, Roku box, is the Xbox name and gaming connection.

Well, looks like there's one less source to get actual info from.

lol, this is what makes all these speculation threads so absurd, you guys consider every shitty source as valid and solid without even bothering to think about if the source is legit or if the information makes sense.

guek

Banned
lol, this is what makes all these speculation threads so absurd, you guys consider every shitty source as valid and solid without even bothering to think about if the source is legit or if the information makes sense.

Except people are doing the exact opposite in this very thread.

[/what'swrongwithyou.gif]

Except people are doing the exact opposite in this very thread.

[/what'swrongwithyou.gif]

Huh? I'm talking about the comment that we just lost a solid source because MSnerd is no longer credible. That would suggest that previously MSnerd was considered a good source of info by that poster, who happens to be one of the more vocal commenters in the various speculation threads.

I give anyone the benefit of the doubt till they do enough to show they don't deserve it. Some do it with the first thing they leak and others need more time. My assumption that they are acceptable in the beginning is as valid as your assumption that they aren't in the beginning.

Tawpgun

If you recall... what?

All we know is that it's more powerful than the current generation.

All I remember is reading something how it was slightly more powerful than the current gen systems.

I think the NextBox and PS4 will leap over it though.

Top Bottom