• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UK Retailer GAME is dead | Brera's Lament

Status
Not open for further replies.
How in the hell can they still be doing cash trade ins?

Obviously cash'd be less than store credit - but probably as it's their primary source of stock right now?

Popped in to my local, quite sad. Large empty bits of the preowned 360 shelves - they did a decent job making it look less bare by putting points cards in those shelves on both sides of the games. The DS preowned section has halved with shitty bargain PC games taking the pride of place. Large merch everywhere that they couldn't shift before, empty stuff in the card section.

As others pointed out, prices creeping back up: Mario Kart 7 was at a fairly competitive £32 the other day new, almost considered buying it (then realised £30 online, but it's close to be fair) back up to £40 now. All the plushes back up in price too.

Without any deliveries, anyone who'd think to sell them games would have a fairly good chance of having them sold I'd have guesed?

The guy at Game yesterday got really offended when I asked if I could check whether or not the preowned xbox 360 they were selling me was working fully. I've been burned before on the 360, so all I wanted to do was make sure. Long story short - he refused and so I had to walk away.

Meanwhile, I offered to help a woman out with her faulty turtle beach headset today despite her not having the receipt. I've also tried to diagnose problems with faulty xbox's for people who haven't even bought the console with us. Just totally depends who serves you; sucks he wouldn't let you test it.

anastazius

Neo Member
From what heard yesterday from friends at management level in stores I used to work at, they will be safe in the end. They have qute a few people interested in buying them, and they are looking to sell off Gamestation stores and bring their total number of stores down to around 300.

Either way I'm sure something wll be worked out, as soon as they get rid of the incompetent idiots at the top and get smart new dudes in, I'll be more than happy to shop there again.

From what heard yesterday from friends at management level in stores I used to work at, they will be safe in the end. They have qute a few people interested in buying them, and they are looking to sell off Gamestation stores and bring their total number of stores down to around 300.

They don't have any inside information, they're just recycling what they've read in MCV.

Here's today's update from the papers.

http://www.express.co.uk/money/view/310365/Thousands-facing-axe-as-Game-ends-

GAME Group could go into administration as early as tomorrow with the loss of thousands of jobs, after eleventh-hour negotiations to buy the retailer collapsed on Friday.

The administration would be the biggest since the failure of Woolworths. It would trigger the sale of some of Game’s better assets to private equity firms OpCapita or Sun Capital Partners.

US retailer GameStop is also said to be interested but retail restructuring fund Hilco is now understood to have lost interest.

Game is likely to go into administration on Monday and the process of selling its assets will begin

Accountancy giant PricewaterhouseCooper is expected to be appointed as the administrator tomorrow morning.

One close source said: “Game is likely to go into administration on Monday and the process of selling its assets will begin but this won’t be a pre-pack, where a company is bought immediately out of administration.”

Sunday Times via http://www.mcvuk.com/news/read/royal-bank-of-scotland-tables-game-bid/093341
It appears to be a day of conflicting newspaper reports, with The Sunday Times reporting that RBS has offered to buy GAME out of administration.

The Sunday Times writes that the state-owned bank is leading a consortium of the firm's existing banks to buy the entertainment retailer out of administration.

According to the paper, GAME will go into administration tomorrow, allowing it to be restructured. There are three bidders interested in the slimmed-down GAME Group, reports The Sunday Times – RBS, OpCapita and GameStop

The RBS-led consortium wants to roll the existing debt of £85m into a new company of smaller stores.

Here's today's update from the papers.
(conflicting news reports)

So reading between the lines, this sounds a lot like there are quite a few companies who think Game would be salvageable and would like to jump in, take over, and restructure but 'something' keeps being a sticking point stopping them doing that.

Anyone else suspect that that 'sticking point' is the Game Board (pun unintended) refusing to step down and still kidding themselves that someone is going to step in, throw money at them and let them continue as they have been, when most interest has likely been 'sure, we'll take over and get it profitable, we just need to fire that terrible board first'?

So reading between the lines, this sounds a lot like there are quite a few companies who think Game would be salvageable and would like to jump in, take over, and restructure but 'something' keeps being a sticking point stopping them doing that.

Anyone else suspect that that 'sticking point' is the Game Board (pun unintended) refusing to step down and still kidding themselves that someone is going to step in, throw money at them and let them continue as they have been, when most interest has likely been 'sure, we'll take over and get it profitable, we just need to fire that terrible board first'?

Seeing as they are basically in administrstion the board get no say what so ever

Hmm. Nothing out of the ordinary going on today; lots of people trading hardly anyone buying. Typical Sunday, the CEX in our town is out of cash again too (hence everyone coming in and complaining about it.) I try to explain to them why CEX are out of cash, but most don't really care to listen.

I'd rather turn to up work tomorrow and the shutters be down than work 30 hours next week and go unpaid. If we're losing our jobs, we'll really need the money. I'm not working 30 hours for nothing... don't know what to do. :/

navanman

Crown Prince of Custom Firmware
RBS want to buy Game? I thought RBS themselves were hemorrhaging money?
Probably looking to write off all the debt that's not theirs and using the profits from this new smaller GAME to get back their debts.

This is also going to help the retailers in the UK as the VAT exemption that all the online stores used is ending next week. Could see the end of the cheap game prices online unless they all find another tax haven to sell games/dvds from..
http://www.mcvuk.com/news/read/hmv-exits-channel-islands-and-returns-to-uk/093338

Take any unclaimed holiday allowance / time in lieu you have

It's not that easy. My boss is taking time off at the moment, which means me and a few others have to be there to run to shop. The management seem to be taking their hours, but us lower down staff aren't allowed atm. There has to be someone there running the place. All of those copies of Fifa 10 wont trade in themselves. :(

Moobabe

Yesterday, I was informed by management (I work at a Gamestation) that we're not opening at 9am tomorrow. Instead, we're waiting for a conference call that will say which stores stay open and which ones close. Any stores closing will do so immediately, and staff will be sent home.

I'm willing to bet only one store will remain open in each area; that being the most profitable one.

My store isn't the most profitable in the area, and we're located dead-opposite a GAME, so I think my store will be closed. Though it's been sounding likely that all Gamestation stores will be closed, with the exception of a select handful (probably those not located near a GAME), which will be turned into GAME stores.

PM me what store you're at buddy - I'm waiting for news from that call too.

LordAlu

Yesterday, I was informed by management (I work at a Gamestation) that we're not opening at 9am tomorrow. Instead, we're waiting for a conference call that will say which stores stay open and which ones close. Any stores closing will do so immediately, and staff will be sent home.

I'm willing to bet only one store will remain open in each area; that being the most profitable one.

My store isn't the most profitable in the area, and we're located dead-opposite a GAME, so I think my store will be closed. Though it's been sounding likely that all Gamestation stores will be closed, with the exception of a select handful (probably those not located near a GAME), which will be turned into GAME stores.
Strangely enough, I'm an Assistant Manager at a Gamestation store, and I've heard no such thing about a conference call?

Moobabe

Strangely enough, I'm an Assistant Manager at a Gamestation store, and I've heard no such thing about a conference call?

We were told that the regional managers are having a call today where they'll learn about store closures. The news from that call should filter through tomorrow.

LordAlu

We were told that the regional managers are having a call today where they'll learn about store closures. The news from that call should filter through tomorrow.
Makes sense. Our Regional is tremendously poor at keeping us in the loop, we've had to get most of our information from other stores and Regionals that were in the same regions as us previously. I'm not working tomorrow but no doubt the manager will call me in the morning to relay any news.

Moobabe

Makes sense. Our Regional is tremendously poor at keeping us in the loop, we've had to get most of our information from other stores and Regionals that were in the same regions as us previously. I'm not working tomorrow but no doubt the manager will call me in the morning to relay any news.

PM me where you are - see if we have the same regional :p

Sporran

well whatever happens, to those involved i just want to wish you all good luck. Hopefully tomorrow brings good news and if not you find something very very fast!

This is also going to help the retailers in the UK as the VAT exemption that all the online stores used is ending next week. Could see the end of the cheap game prices online unless they all find another tax haven to sell games/dvds from..
http://www.mcvuk.com/news/read/hmv-exits-channel-islands-and-returns-to-uk/093338

ShopTo has never used that loophole, and still manage to be VERY competitive on pricing.
Any online store can still stay profitable even on razor thing margins, particularly using JIT stock management systems.

Despite some claims earlier in this thread, Game closing down is not going to mean higher online prices.

It's not that easy. My boss is taking time off at the moment, which means me and a few others have to be there to run to shop. The management seem to be taking their hours, but us lower down staff aren't allowed atm.

If you have holiday to take or time in lieu to take, take it.
You might feel professional pride to not do that, and your management might really, really, really not want you to, but what are they going to do? Make you redundant?

Until the day where I'm no longer employed by Game Group, I'd rather keep a little bit of anonymity, so I'm afraid I can't divulge which store I work at.

Neil

So if you're "sent home" what does that mean exactly. That you're made redundant and are given pay in lieu of notice?

So if you're "sent home" what does that mean exactly. That you're made redundant and are given pay in lieu of notice?

We're paid up until that point, and any people who are entitled to redundancy pay (people who have been working for more than 2 years) will receive it.

Goron2000

best junior ever
Do you guys think that CEX will flourish from the closing of GAME and Gamestation? Or will the lack of stores selling new games hurt them?

Do you guys think that CEX will flourish from the closing of GAME and Gamestation? Or will the lack of stores selling new games hurt them?

I imagine they'll definitely get more traffic since they have less competition. So long as the other retailers pick up the slack on the sales of new games, it'll be business as usual for them getting stock in.

Arnie

With Game and Gamestation seemingly gone, that really does make HMV the only major games retailer as far as I'm aware. Sure, CEX sell used goods, and you can buy games from Blockbuster, but really, HMV are the biggest chain left.

Quite sad really. I'll never forget waiting in a crowd of over a hundred people for the Halo 3 midnight launch at Game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom