• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT2| Hyper-Athletic Speed And Mass And Weight and Power

Falagard

Interesting stuff in the Halo 4 thread from people who saw it in motion:

Halo 4 looks much better than Reach. In person, seeing the engine run and watching match replays, it looks like they've created a global illumination system to go with their 720p, and the level of detail on models and environments looks considerably improved.

I will back this up. I was honestly stunned at just how much better it looks in motion than Reach.

Words that left my mouth after our session: if you told me this was a next-gen Xbox game, I might believe you. It looks like a new engine for the first time since Halo 3.

I'm sure plenty of stuff in the game will be picked apart and derided as "last-gen." But it looked (and sounded - fuck, for reals, the sounds) amazing.

monome

So no big GI Halo 4 reveal but now we know Bungie's next game is a next-gen title?!

That's pretty weird seeing their PS3 commitment and Activision letting them skip a release on a plateform (360) Bungie knows inside-out...

So no big GI Halo 4 reveal but now we know Bungie's next game is a next-gen title?!

That's pretty weird seeing their PS3 commitment and Activision letting them skip a release on a plateform (360) Bungie knows inside-out...

Why are you asumming H4 is not this month.'s GI cover?

monome

We already knew that 3 months ago, since one of their graphic enginers, Hao Chen, tolk to gamasutra.

Nope.

The interview was much centered on Bungie's ability to scale its engine for the coming plateforms, and the desire to put emphasis on openness and richness rather than in-your-face graphical prowess.

And I can't picture a PS360 release followed by a PS720 release.

Why are you asumming H4 is not this month.'s GI cover?

From the bsangel "tweet" that Hypertrooper reported to us.

I don't even dare to visit the thread often these days. Fronkle promised a novel marketing campaign, right now it's a despicable drought...

Halo 4 marketing campaign seems on a tight leash, and although a GI cover makes sense to appetize Joe gamer, i still don't really believe 343i will give an outside firm the chance to blow open Halo 4 doors.

Setting unrealistic expectations isn't a good thing. Saying a game on the 360 will look like a next-gen game is just silly.

it's not always about raw power but how you trick the eyes and other sensory inputs.
Higher fidelity assets, better lighting, cinematic approach etc... all of this can propel a game to levels few games this gen have gone.

Nope.

The interview was much centered on Bungie's ability to scale its engine for the coming plateforms, and the desire to put emphasis on openness and richness rather than in-your-face graphical prowess.

From the bsangel "tweet" that Hypertrooper reported to us.

I don't even dare to visit the thread often these days. Fronkle promised a novel marketing campaign, right now it's a despicable drought...

Halo 4 marketing campaign seems on a tight leash, and although a GI cover makes sense to appetize Joe gamer, i still don't really believe 343i will give an outside firm the chance to blow open Halo 4 doors.

What did that tweet say?

Trey

Setting unrealistic expectations isn't a good thing. Saying a game on the 360 will look like a next-gen game is just silly.

The way it was worded was careful hyperbole. A masterstroke, really, because the only people taking the statement for more than it is would have had unrealistic expectations anyway.

JuanGGZ

Banned
Nope.

So you want to play on words ? (French expression, don't know if it's okay in english, but you know what I mean.)

So :

Gamasutra : Any word on the new project?

HC: Our project right now is at a very exciting stage. For the first time we're now shipping on multiple platforms, and then the new consoles are at least not far on the horizon. We have a brand new game, a brand new IP. But all of these things actually present a lot of challenges. We already have a very strong graphics team, but because our ambition is so much bigger, we're also looking for very talented graphics people.

[...]

What for you have been the challenges on the graphics side, going multiplatform?

HC: We re-architected our graphics engine, and the primary reason is the need to go multiplatform and get ready for the next gen.[...]An even bigger challenge is to future proof the engine so when the next generation of consoles is here, we are already pretty good at squeezing the performance out of it.

No as clear as a sentence on the Alex Chu folio like "next-gen title", I agree, but we all already knew they were working on a new engine for the next gen, and of course, for their next game which using this engine. =)

For the next gen, GamesIndustry wrote an interesting article about the development costs, you shloud read it : http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2012-04-03-next-gen-consoles-mean-increased-development-costs

monome

I'm quoting bsangel:

Warning: Late news is small. I mean small news is late. I mean... well, both statements are accurate, so I'll just leave it at that. Until then....

So you want to play on words ? (French expression, don't know if it's okay in english, but you know what I mean.)

So :

No as clear as a sentence on the Alex Chu folio like "next-gen title", I agree, but we all already knew they were working on a new engine for the next gen, and of course, for their next game which using this engine. =)

For the next gen, GamesIndustry wrote an interesting article about the development costs, you shloud read it : http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2012-04-03-next-gen-consoles-mean-increased-development-costs

french Halogaf?

It says what it says, the game is being developped with scalability in mind, it never says it's a next-gen title.
that a big dev like Bungie considers a next-gen is coming when current gen is 6/7 years old is no news.

I wonder if a 2013 next-gen launch is a problem for Bungie. They can't be spending cash on a >100 men studio for years without making some money back. yet a 2013 release on current gen seems pretty late for a title that will probably be always on.

The way it was worded was careful hyperbole. A masterstroke, really, because the only people taking the statement for more than it is would have had unrealistic expectations anyway.

I was gonna say this, no one really believes this do they? Those that do are found out to be dumbasses anyway.

Hyperbole and personal expectation, one taints the other, but I think most of us here have grounded expectations so far.

Also, played BF3 with the patch yet Over?

Just for clarification: Bsangel did not tweet it. She posted it on HaloWaypoint. And that part does not eliminate the possibility for Halo 4 as a GI's title story. If she writes: Hey want Halo 4 info? Buy GameInformer. [coverimageposted] <- small news for me.

So do you guys think we'll actually see MC's face in this trilogy?
Hell no. Please god no. /thread

heckfu

Banned
So do you guys think we'll actually see MC's face in this trilogy?

I definitely do not.

I think that it would've been Bungie's right to reveal it or not and half the fun of MC's character is the fact that I get to make him look like what I want in my mind. The other half being cod pieces.

I bet he looks a lot like Franck Ribery

monome

I hope MC's face is moccaped from Ashton Kuchter's face.

and we get FemChief as an alternative campaign character, and Cortono for the imperative doomed love sci-fi romance

I definitely do not.

I think that it would've been Bungie's right to reveal it or not and half the fun of MC's character is the fact that I get to make him look like what I want in my mind. The other half being cod pieces.

I bet he looks a lot like Franck Ribery.

You mean Franck 'underage prostitute' Ribery? Sure.

monome

I don't think he's bald.

The books described him as red haired. And freckled :D

FemChief reveal incoming (yeah that's small news) :

343i is proud to have a dedicated campaign for lady gamers, and as an added bonus we are delighted to count LaRoux on board on project as she brings her face and voice to the franchise with an exlcusive level for Kinect where you dance your way through the minions of an evil and ancient dark force.

daedalius

I don't think he's bald.

The books described him as red haired. And freckled :D

Maybe when he was young.

I'm sure he is bald/close cropped hair, just like all the spartans in Reach. After 40+ years of non-stop fighting, he probably also has some scars.

So, scarred, bald space marine.

Besides, I think they like to preserve the mystery.

Karl2177

FemChief reveal incoming (yeah that's small news) :

343i is proud to have a dedicated campaign for lady gamers, and as an added bonus we are delighted to count LaRoux on board on project as she brings her face and voice to the franchise with an exlcusive level for Kinect where you dance your way through the minions of an evil and ancient dark force.

Would buy. Day 1. Great voice.

Gazzawa

Maybe when he was young.

I'm sure he is bald/close cropped hair, just like all the spartans in Reach. After 40+ years of non-stop fighting, he probably also has some scars.

I hope he has a diamond grill. That would be phat.

TheOddOne

I hope he has a diamond grill. That would be phat.
halo4_5h6jx6.gif

Maybe when he was young.

Lol, sorry to burst your mystery bubble but he has brown hair in Halo: CE. (In the book Halo: The Flood)

monome

Lol, sorry to burst your mystery bubble but he has brown hair in Halo: CE. (In the book Halo: The Flood)

the red hair young boy is canon, the rest is up in the air. he's got augmented everything, 343i can pretty much make him green and have a ready explanation for it.

And since Superman is an alien from jewish confession, I think it's fitting the US also get an irish superhero in addition to a black president.
I think Precursors are latino.

Top Bottom