• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xenoblade |OT| Sorry I Kept You Waiting!

What are the advantages of the CCPro over the remote+nunchuk for Xenoblade?

Stupid that we can't use the GC controllers with games like these.

It's a question that's brought up a lot, and it's answered in brief in the OP:
Do I need to buy a Classic Controller Pro for this game or will the Wii Remote and Nunchuck be sufficient?

Both control schemes have their pros and cons, and different people will have different preferences.

The Classic Controller Pro offers better camera control, but at the cost of being able to select arts as easily while moving. On the other hand, the Wii Remote and Nunchuck make it easy to move and select arts, but the camera control is worse. Neither issue is game-breaking by any means, you can't go wrong with either choice.​

But I suppose I'll make a more detailed explanation (with pictures!) in hopes that this post can be linked to rather than typing out variations on the same answer every time.

The Wii Remote/Nunchuk:

With the Wii Remote and Nunchuk, the camera is centered behind your party leader by tapping the c button, and manually controlled by holding down the c button and manipulating the camera with the d-pad. The game has an auto camera, but like nearly all 3D games there are major issues and manual camera control is a much better way to traverse the landscape. Obviously, this setup is functional but less than ideal.

eBGBm.jpg

The other major difference between the schemes is the ease of Art usage during battles. Arts are skills that are unique to every character and form the backbone of the battle system, so they are used very frequently. During battle, your Arts palette is displayed at the bottom of the screen (this image is taken from very early on in the game, so no Arts spoilers):

UTEb5.jpg

With the Wii Remote, you move the Arts cursor with the d-pad and select an Art with the A button. This works well, because it's simple to move your thumb between the d-pad and the A button. Your other hand is on the Nunchuk, so there's no control conflict between moving your character around during battle and moving the Arts cursor. Several playable characters have Arts that are location-based, so moving around easily during battle can be important depending on the situation.​

The CC/CCPro:

With the CC/CCPro, the camera is mapped to the right stick, like a traditional dual-stick setup, and centered by tapping the ZL button. The benefits to this setup are obvious, especially to people who are extremely finicky and love to have easy control over the camera at all times (like me).

1eqt3.jpg

Art usage is a bit more complicated, however. Because the d-pad and left stick are on the same side of the controller, selecting Arts while moving your character around is more clumsy and less natural than the Wii Remote/Nunchuk combo. You have a few options:
  • You can do things one at a time, moving your character into position and then selecting the Art (or the other way around). It can get a bit frantic during fast-paced battles, but it works.
  • Or, you can do what I did and emulate the "claw" position made most famous on Monster Hunter games for the PSP. This involves keeping your thumb on the left stick and using your left index finger to select Arts:

oZ2xc.jpg

Essentially, the CC/CCPro has much nicer camera control at the expense of easy Art control during battles, and the Wii Remote/Nunchuk combo has easier Art control at the expense of simple camera controls. Both control schemes work fine, and neither of them break the game or make it unplayable. It's simply a matter of preference.

AwShucks

Gave in. Preordered from Gamestop. Can't believe I am giving them my money but it was the lesser of two evils in this case. Nintendo being the evil that apparently wouldn't bring the game over here without somebody to seemingly pay for it to be exclusive.

This better be an amazing game.

flyover

Essentially, the CC/CCPro has much nicer camera control at the expense of easy Art control during battles, and the Wii Remote/Nunchuk combo has easier Art control at the expense of simple camera controls. Both control schemes work fine, and neither of them break the game or make it unplayable. It's simply a matter of preference.

Great writeup. As someone who got a Wii solely to play this game, I'll say that using the CCPro was the way to go, for me. Controlling the camera with the right stick was essential to me (because it's become second nature from playing games on other consoles). I've gotten used to switching between the d-pad and the left stick from playing games on other systems, so I was okay with executing Arts that way.

Anecdotal evidence, I know, but that was my preference. For all I know, using the remote/nunchuck combo may be optimal. But if you're not much of a Wii gamer (I'm not), and you want to jump right in (I did), CCPro just gets out of the way. It's one less mechanic to master, because such controllers already feel like a natural extension to me.

That said, when I replay the game this month, I may mix it up.

Tess3ract

Banned
I played it on my PC, so I felt using a 360 controller felt a lot better and a lot less clunky than using those stupid wiimote/nunchuck nintendo likes to push.

clemenx

Banned
I preferred using the Mote+Chuck. Dunno why as I used the CCPro with The Last Story :p But yeah, they both work fine.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
I played it on my PC, so I felt using a 360 controller felt a lot better and a lot less clunky than using those stupid wiimote/nunchuck nintendo likes to push.

Yeah, 360 controller is easily the best control scheme for the game. Easy camera control, no claw necessary for Arts selection. Of course, this is only a valid option if you're playing on Dolphin.

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?
AAWWWW YEAH GURL! Look what I got my hands on! (Props to the super cool guy at my GS).

6900273098_7f16e08c78_c.jpg

7046372947_6ddcf177a0_c.jpg

6900277050_8d9ed1118c_c.jpg

Quality is surprisingly decent for a freebie. I saw the early pictures of it, and it stuck me as a super cheap stapled book. And, to be honest, it is still pretty cheap. But the paper stock is of pretty high quality, and the cover is embossed. Overall, as an artbook, I'd give it a 3 or 4/10. But as a freebie, I'd give it an 8/10.

Quality is surprisingly decent for a freebie. I saw the early pictures of it, and it stuck me as a super cheap stapled book. And, to be honest, it is still pretty cheap. But the paper stock is of pretty high quality, and the cover is embossed. Overall, as an artbook, I'd give it a 3 or 4/10. But as a freebie, I'd give it an 8/10.

Roughly how many pages? It looks sub-30.

MrDaravon

That's the artbook that's supposed to fetch a high price?

For something like this the actual quality is irrelevant; it's a limited pre-order item for a game itself may be somewhat limited (my Gamestop said today that they only got in enough to cover pre-orders, and that they did NOT get enough artbooks to cover all pre-orders). Also the audience for this game has huge overlap with collectors. So yeah, I will not be surprised if it winds up going for some money, but I doubt anything too crazy since isn't there a full Japanese artbook available?

CCP is the way to go. Not having camera control at times can be quite annoying, like if one of your team members is getting their ass kicked by something and you can't see it.

Q

qizah

Unconfirmed Member
That artbook looks great. Can't wait to pick mine up tomorrow :).

Aeana

CCP is the way to go. Not having camera control at times can be quite annoying, like if one of your team members is getting their ass kicked by something and you can't see it.

Well you can control the camera with the remote/nunchuck setup, you just have to hold C and use the dpad. I think it works just fine, and I played through the game that way 1.5 times. CC for the other .5 of my first play. I prefer the hand freedom of the remote/nunchuck setup.

Astra

I assume you're in Canada as others from there have said this. When did you guys become a Christian nation?

I thought the rest of Canada would have their stores open on Friday, and it'd just be schools and government getting the break. My province of PEI has always been a little behind the rest of the country when it came to these holidays. I mean, Sunday shopping is a recent thing here.

In any event, if Jesus' crucifixion gets us Xenoblade a day early, he's a good man in my book. (Whether or not that book is fictional, well...)

jjasper

Thanks for the write up after reading that I think I am just going to go with the wiimote.

Zekes!

I assume you're in Canada as others from there have said this. When did you guys become a Christian nation?

Huh? We've always celebrated Easter in Canada; we're not a "Christian" nation, but we have similar roots as the US and our histories are closely linked together

Mikey Jr.

All I'm saying is businesses don't close up shop in America on Good Friday, not even Easter, just Thanksgiving and Christmas. Seems like a strange holiday to shut down business, school or whatever else.

Good Friday/Easter is much more important to us Christians than Christmas.

If anything, Christmas should be open and Easter closed. I'm glad both are holidays though!

Also, damn, Canada Post is shipping mine. No way it is coming tomorrow, so it looks like I'm getting it on Monday....

Seik

Banned
All I'm saying is businesses don't close up shop in America on Good Friday, not even Easter, just Thanksgiving and Christmas. Seems like a strange holiday to shut down business, school or whatever else.

Since I'm an atheist, I always saw this more like a 'tradition' than a belief. It's just nice because everyone is off and it makes our week-end longer (More time for Xenoblade too).

It's the kind of thing like 'its there and its like that' and its great because I won't work and I'll be paid anyway muhahahaah. XD

Astra

It is odd, but I won't complain. I'm all for any holiday that will give us stat pay!

It's the kind of thing like 'its there and its like that' and its great because I won't work and I'll be paid anyway muhahahaah. XD

Hell yeah!
You're getting paid to play Xenoblade!

I checked in at my Gamestop today to see about the artbook, and the lady there said they had orders not to hand out any artbooks before the game comes out. To make sure that people don't end up with multiple.

She indicated that Xenoblade preordered quite well at the location, too. So it makes sense.

Astra

I checked in at my Gamestop today to see about the artbook, and the lady there said they had orders not to hand out any artbooks before the game comes out. To make sure that people don't end up with multiple.

She indicated that Xenoblade preordered quite well at the location, too. So it makes sense.

Hope they have the same orders at the EBgames here. I really hope I get the artbook. I did preorder in mid-March, so I should be good.

Alucrid

Banned

Heh, even now being open on Thanksgiving and Christmas is becoming more common.

So. As a person who has never used Dolphin, but has a decently powerful Mac (Radeon 6970M 2GB) and isn't against bootcamp (although I'd prefer to avoid it), is there a super easy way to get this game up and running with minimal effort? And if so, would it be reliable and not crash all the time?

I get a boner whenever I read anything about this game, but when I look at the screenshots it's like the worst blue balls ever.

So. As a person who has never used Dolphin, but has a decently powerful Mac (Radeon 6970M 2GB) and isn't against bootcamp (although I'd prefer to avoid it), is there a super easy way to get this game up and running with minimal effort? And if so, would it be reliable and not crash all the time?

I get a boner whenever I read anything about this game, but when I look at the screenshots it's like the worst blue balls ever.

Try asking in the Dolphin thread; there are lots of gaffers who have successfully played the game with it.

Isn't the line in OT title from Kid Icarus? Looks out of place when OTs typically have a clever use of in-game dialogue which this game has plenty of.

The lines are similar, but it's definitely from the game, and it was used in the US announcement trailer. Clever little inclusion from NoA, perhaps?

eznark

Banned
I am dying a freaking ton. I'm currently level 17, just trying to save JuJu. Is that normal? Am I under leveled? Am I doing it wrong?

I am dying a freaking ton. I'm currently level 17, just trying to save JuJu. Is that normal? Am I under leveled? Am I doing it wrong?
I'd have to say that during the first part of the game I felt like I was constantly on the brink of death... but I don't remember dying all that much.

random pieces of advice that may or may not help:
-budget your chain attacks, since they empty the party gauge and you need that crap to revive your people.

-level up Sharla's healing skills ASAP.

-let Reyn take all the aggro/damage, so your other people can liiiiive.

-when all else fails (there's a big boss you're going to hit shortly that kicked my ass so hard), levelling up a couple levels makes a huge difference.

I'm assuming you're at the
Mechon M71
fight?

If so, you're definitely not underleveled.
Make sure to take out the tentacles first, then attack the main body. And if you're controlling Shulk, use his Monado powers! They work wonders.

Top Bottom