• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Baltimore Man robbed/stripped in front of a bunch of people (wsh video careful)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blackace

if you see me in a fight with a bear, don't help me fool, help the bear!
It seemed like hyperbole to me. But I can see this thread isn't a place for dissenting opinions, so I'll stop arguing.

Wait, werent you just saying why shouldn't it be looked at as a hate crime, because if it were whites on a black guy it would maybe be treated as such?

Now it's hyperbole?

Kapura

Banned
Wait, werent you just saying why shouldn't it be looked at as a hate crime, because if it were whites on a black guy it would maybe be treated as such?

Now it's hyperbole?

er, no. The thing about marching in the streets. I think he was saying that there would be racial outrage, were the roles reversed.

still roaming around

Why don't you just close the thread instead of passive aggressively threatening people trying to talk about the story. Enough people have been banned (some permad) that I'm pretty sure nobody is going to even attempt any sort of discussion anymore.

Blackace

er, no. The thing about marching in the streets. I think he was saying that there would be racial outrage, were the roles reversed.

If the men were arrested and dealt with, no reason for moral outrage.

Why don't you just close the thread instead of passive aggressively threatening people trying to talk about story. Enough people have been banned (some permad) that I'm pretty sure nobody is going to even attempt any sort of discussion anymore.

How do you know some were permed?

Blackace

Why don't you just close the thread instead of passive aggressively threatening people trying to talk about story. Enough people have been banned (some permad) that I'm pretty sure nobody is going to even attempt any sort of discussion anymore.

Why don't you let the mods moderate and either add something useful to the discussions or keep it moving..

Yes there was quite the honest, earnest and productive discussion earlier with all the sarcastic and insulting jabs pertaining to false equivalences and ignoring the power constructs within our own society.

bishoptl

Banstick Emeritus
Why don't you rethink telling me how to do my job, and I'll let folks continue to discuss the issue while keeping it on track? That sound alright to you?

Nothing passive about it.

Blackace

I've noticed that people really have a hard time with that part of the comparison in these sorts of "Where's the outrage?" bits.

If the men were cut free I really believe white Americans would be outraged and rightfully so.. In fact all Americans should be of that were the case

Why don't you let the mods moderate and either add something useful to the discussions or keep it moving..

"still roaming around" isn't exactly adding something to the discussion. It's pretty obvious this crime is awful and there may have been racial undertones - but from whats presented it's impossible to tell.

"still roaming around" isn't exactly adding something to the discussion. It's pretty obvious this crime is awful and there may have been racial undertones - but from whats presented it's impossible to tell.

We could talk about that without the disingenuous and honestly insulting lines of "if this were reversed people would be more outraged!" I mean must we really get into a false equivalency jive in every thread that involves race or gender?

And yet this doesn't get you banned, wow. You're basically condoning this type of behavior.

Hey he was just another idiot, an easy mark, nothing wrong with beating and robbing someone when it's that easy.

To be fair, I don't believe that he was condoning the behavior. But definitely a poor selection of words. The people in this video need to be identified, found, and arrested ASAP.
In the Uniform Crime Reporting Program, the victim of a hate crime may be an individual, a business, an institution, or society as a whole. In 2010, the Nation’s law enforcement agencies reported that there were 8,208 victims of hate crimes. Of these victims, 9 were victimized in 4 separate multiple-bias incidents.

By bias motivation
An analysis of data for victims of single-bias hate crime incidents showed that:

So people do get prosecuted for hate crimes against white people, which is completely appropriate. The truth is that there is always some resentment on the part of the majority against laws which are designed to protect religous and ethnic minorities in any society but it is important to look after the rights of those who are at a disadvantage. I hope by the end of this century that is a principle that all nations and societies accept.

Agreed.

And you're quite the optimist! :p

Blackace

No, it's moderating without banning.. Sometimes we do that. If you have an issue with Bish or anyone else take it to their PM and I am sure they will fully explain why they felt the need to do what they did...

bishoptl

Banstick Emeritus
"still roaming around" isn't exactly adding something to the discussion.
Most folks with two brain cells to rub together would see it as a warning to get back on track without being banned. I mean, if the numerous examples in this thread of what not to do weren't warning enough.

Do you want to continue this conversation?

Wait why'd he get his pants/underwear pulled off? Easier to grab the wallet that way?

that looks like my worst nightmare.. I'd of just handed over my shit lol

Sanjay

No, it's moderating without banning.. Sometimes we do that. If you have an issue with Bish or anyone else take it to their PM and I am sure they will fully explain why they felt the need to do what they did...

Yeah but this right now is like a landmine field trying to discuss. You just don't know what you can step on and what you can't.

Blackace

Yeah but this right now is like a landmine field trying to discuss. You just don't know what you can step on and what you can't.

No one has been banned, but the OP for baiting..

Meteorain

It 'seems' to be more of a case that if you try and ask the mods their reasoning, you get threatened with a ban. So maybe some people are just afraid to discuss and post because they aren't sure what will happen.

Maybe I've missed something and am misreading into it....

I left out for a bit and came back and it's like a graveyard in here, damn. that's like bjb's third ban in two weeks for the same thing.

I think there is a healthy, educational discourse that can be had about race on gaf, but it can't be done with the continuance of cheap, retaliatory threads and comments like what happened today.

Most folks with two brain cells to rub together would see it as a warning to get back on track without being banned. I mean, if the numerous examples in this thread of what not to do weren't warning enough.

Do you want to continue this conversation?

I'd prefer not to seeing as I know what the result would be. Blackace already pointed out that anything else should be taken to PM's which is definitely sage advice that I will follow.

In other news at least according to the news report they were able to identify one of the criminals. I guess one of the benefits of a website like WSH is that crimes like this get recorded. Not sure if it offsets the negatives of people doing stupid shit to get featured on the website.

Desmond

I saw this thread earlier, in its fledgling state. Thank fuck I didn't come in then.

Ban city. Reading through the first few pages, it's no surprise.

Was this posted?

4/10 UPDATE: Baltimore's police chief today said that the videotaped beating of a white tourist does not appear to be a hate crime, but rather "drunken opportunistic criminality" on the part of a gang of Charm City assailants.

In a TV interview, Commissioner Frederick H. Bealefeld III urged Baltimore residents to "distinguish between criminality and racially motivated crime." Bealefeld, who is white, warned against "race-baiting" and "fear-mongering" in light of the Trayvon Martin shooting and other recent racially charged incidents.

"There's no doubt it's a crime," Bealefeld said of the March 17 assault. "We need to vigorously hold criminals accountable, and we have to be careful not to be pulled into this race-baiting."
Link

v1oz

http://www.cnn.com/video/?hpt=hp_c2#/video/crime/2012/04/09/tsr-sylvester-man-beaten-baltimore.cnn

Why isn't this investigated as a hate crime or reverse racism? I never understood that... If this was the other way around we'd be having riots and marches... But when it's this way it's just a normal crime.

Also *popcorn*. This shit just really Gets me boiling.
Shit that's terrible. If I were there I'd helped him and beaten those thugs up severely. Its not racism, just a case of being in the wrong place at the wrong time.

This video is like the Malaysian student who was beaten up and got his PSP stolen in London.

It's important that he's white, because we can't have a black man telling us there's no apparent racial motive. It just won't do.

lol, sad but true.

Also, leave B-more alone guys. I've had some fun nights on The Block. Just gotta be extra careful around the crazy people.

Shit that's terrible. If I were there I'd helped him and beaten those thugs up severely. Its not racism, just a case of being in the wrong place at the wrong time.

This video is like the Malaysian student who was beaten up and got his PSP stolen in London.

I'm not so sure this is an accurate simulation of what would've happened.

I left out for a bit and came back and it's like a graveyard in here, damn. that's like bjb's third ban in two weeks for the same thing.

I think there is a healthy, educational discourse that can be had about race on gaf, but it can't be done with the continuance of cheap, retaliatory threads and comments like what happened today.

It also can't be done when the slightest unpopular opinion or insensitive remark gets you banned. I don't necessarily agree with the notions put forth in this thread, but goddamn. Easy on the trigger-fingers.

Again, 4chan already tracked down the uploader of the video and identified the main attacker in it. One of them is apparently a fairly popular local DJ. They all deleted their Facebook/Twitter pages and started threatening people for being "snitches" and such. It won't be long before they're apprehended.

Also, nice job on protecting the dude's identity CNN. They cover his face in

It also can't be done when the slightest unpopular opinion or insensitive remark gets you banned. I don't necessarily agree with the notions put forth in this thread, but goddamn. Easy on the trigger-fingers.

Did you see the remarks made by the people who were banned? Subhuman animals? Then you had at least three other posters who had been toeing the line in the Trayvon Martin thread, including dennisK4 doing hit and runs and bjb, who's on his third ban for race related commentary.

Those remarks weren't just unpopular opinion, they were insulting, and a couple were outright racist. Bruiserbear has been the Trayvon Martin thread arguing against most of the collective thread, yet he hasn't received a ban for merely stating his opinion. It's all about how you convey your opinion.

oh, so this is the thread.

thank you worldstar for helping to make evidence of crimes and the ability to identify and bring criminals to justice a popular internet trend.

dear criminals, stay free.

I can't make it through all of the posts in this thread, they're starting to aggravate me too much to bear. It's bizarre that some of you are making this out like if you're black you won't get robbed if the other guy is black, the fuck? Black on black crime happens from time to time y'know.

Most of them have been banned before for these types of comments.

Racial discourse cannot begin without an acknowledgement of asymmetrical power structure, privilege, and the legacy of prejudiced policy. I'll be glad to discuss race issues with anyone who wants to engage without resorting to incendiary commentary and has a capacity to understand nuance.

Suffice to say, the banned members did neither.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom