• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digital Foundry The Witcher 2 tech - pushing graphics into uncharted territory of war

Margalis

Banned
That old lighting looks really weird and bad. It has a ton of bloom and everything is yellow shifted but is also very low contrast. You normally expect high-contrast HDR lighting and bloom to go hand-in-hand, it's almost like there was no HDR at all and they just bloomed out everything above 0.7 intensity.

New lighting is like 1 million times better.

Red

That old lighting looks really weird and bad. It has a ton of bloom and everything is yellow shifted but is also very low contrast. You normally expect high-contrast HDR lighting and bloom to go hand-in-hand, it's almost like there was no HDR at all and they just bloomed out everything above 0.7 intensity.

New lighting is like 1 million times better.
First thing any PC player of TW2 should do is disable bloom.

Margalis

Banned
Hope this thing has its hands full doing complicated physics computations, cause those textures look really low res.

Because texture resolution and compression is a direct trade-off with physics calculations!

burgerdog

Enjoy your new lighting 360 owners! PC version didn't receive that update. I'll be honest, I'm kind of sad that they couldn't implement it to the PC for whatever reason. Still a great update and most importantly, they didn't charge a dime for it.

jett

D-Member
Enjoy your new lighting 360 owners! PC version didn't receive that update. I'll be honest, I'm kind of sad that they couldn't implement it to the PC for whatever reason. Still a great update and most importantly, they didn't charge a dime for it.

Hmm didn't expect that! That's a real shame for PC owners because it really makes the game look better.

Eusis

You know, I'm kind of wondering if the "improved lighting" is simply a lack of the PC version's bloom. Some pictures are in order I think.

burgerdog

You know, I'm kind of wondering if the "improved lighting" is simply a lack of the PC version's bloom. Some pictures are in order I think.

Nah, I tried it with bloom and without. Bloom being on still looks awful in this game and looks nothing like the 360 version.

Hmm didn't expect that! That's a real shame for PC owners because it really makes the game look better.

It is definitely more realistic, dont understand why they didnt implement it really.

Having said that it is hardly a bigger deal than the hit in texture quality between versions...the PC version still looks a lot better to me overall

NBtoaster

It's something that can easily be missed, there's tons of depth of field and FXAA destroying edge readability.

Only a very minor drop anyway, doesn't change that it looks fantastic.

AgentP

Thinks mods influence posters politics. Promoted to QAnon Editor.
100px - makes a real difference!
but they should have brought it up, it's strange indeed.

In one dimension, if it is 1194x672 then it is missing 13% of the pixels.

I'm guessing DF (Leadbetter) omitted the info for one of two reasons, he doesn't know without someone like MazerDude telling him or it reflects negatively on his favorite console.

KageMaru

Sucks about the resolution, but it's hardly a big deal and doesn't change the fact that this is one of best looking console games out there. I'll take a few missing pixels over the frame rate issues seen in earlier videos.

In one dimension, if it is 1194x672 then it is missing 13% of the pixels.

I'm guessing DF (Leadbetter) omitted the info for one of two reasons, he doesn't know without someone like MazerDude telling him or it reflects negatively on his favorite console.

wtfiknow.jpg

Oppo

So... they are not rolling the new lighting into the PC version after all? can someone clarify?

Blizzard

Banned
No new lighting makes me a really sad panda. I would REALLY like to know why -- whether there were budget reasons, or technical issues, since they seem like they have provided some good PC support otherwise.

I liked that natural-looking sunlight inside the building.

hwalker84

No new lighting makes me a really sad panda. I would REALLY like to know why -- whether there were budget reasons, or technical issues, since they seem like they have provided some good PC support otherwise.

I liked that natural-looking sunlight inside the building.

Same. I wasn't aware that the PC wasnt' getting all the new tech upgrades needed to get the game running well on the Xbox 360. I thought the new lighting was part of the EE no matter if it was the Xbox or PC version.

Chinner

Banned
Same. I wasn't aware that the PC wasnt' getting all the new tech upgrades needed to get the game running well on the Xbox 360. I thought the new lighting was part of the EE no matter if it was the Xbox or PC version.

they never outright said it, but they did certainly imply it. either way, slightly disappointed but appreciate the large update.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
"new" lighting might be not an upgrade but the opposite if we talk for tech point of view.

Blizzard

Banned
"new" lighting might be not an upgrade but the opposite if we talk for tech point of view.
At least in some of the images it looks both better and more natural in my opinion. =/ If it has better performance, that's an even bigger bonus, but maybe they lose out on shadows or something using it?

Double D

Really need to see some comparison shots now that the PC got the patch. I'm nearly finished with Chapter 2 of the original Witcher and wanted to plow* right into the second game on the PC.

*One could make a sexual pun out of this reference.

It would be nice to have all the best components in a single version of the game. I personally don't want to harp on it too much, though. CDProjekt Red already went above and beyond expectations and rolling the lighting changes back into the PC version may be a daunting task and there may be some undesirable side effects that we don't see in the handful of comparisons.

this is lookin like a pretty fantastic port no?

From virtual all reports, they did an incredible job. The only real disappoint I would have with the Xbox 360 version is the screen tearing.

Top Bottom