• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT3| Remember Reach?

Gazzawa

Conan is awesome and I really relate to his sense of humor. I like Stephen Colbert as well, but to say Conan isn't funny seems off base. He wrote for Saturday Night Live and The Simpsons. The guy is a genius. Although, I know everyone has a different sense of humor, and that's a big part of it.

Anyway, back to Halo discussion. Carry on.

Halo 5 needs to get Andy Samberg and the rest of The Lonely Island on board(Lets see how long it takes for ye to get the pun)

GhaleonEB

Couple things before meetings fire up.

New gun looks awesome. A bit like a rail run.

Spartan Ops:

My hypothesis is the game will ship with a decent number of episodes/missions (five per episode, if I heard right), but that they are being rolled out after launch partly as a smart way to retain interest and partly because it made sense to stage content that way from a production standpoint. That let the team focus on the shipping content and then give the new episodes the time they need after (overlapping, of course).

The CG will surely be outsourced; I suspect the assets for Spartan Ops will be largely on-disc from campaign spaces and the missions are essentially game types and story elements built around them, but I'd love to be wrong on that front.

Either way, Spartan Ops sounds great, both in concept and rollout strategy. Now I just want to see the damn thing in action.

Myyke

Neo Member
Wait, could that be the assault carbine? Didn't 343 say it would function a lot like the previous plasma rifles?

It would be a bit strange if it actually was, I thought the whole point with carbines was that they were meant to be shorter/lighter versions of rifles and that thing looks longer than an assault rifle.

Having said that though, the covenant carbine is huge compared to the covenant plasma rifle.......

FyreWulff

Couple things before meetings fire up.

New gun looks awesome. A bit like a rail run.

Spartan Ops:

My hypothesis is the game will ship with a decent number of episodes/missions (five per episode, if I heard right), but that they are being rolled out after launch partly as a smart way to retain interest and partly because it made sense to stage content that way from a production standpoint. That let the team focus on the shipping content and then give the new episodes the time they need after (overlapping, of course).

The CG will surely be outsourced; I suspect the assets for Spartan Ops will be largely on-disc from campaign spaces and the missions are essentially game types and story elements built around them, but I'd love to be wrong on that front.

Either way, Spartan Ops sounds great, both in concept and rollout strategy. Now I just want to see the damn thing in action.

It'd be really neat if the objectives were modifiable for customs. Not even outright Forge, but something like Invasion options where you can change the order of objectives and the amount of damage/time/<insert action> to capture them.

GhaleonEB

It'd be really neat if the objectives were modifiable for customs. Not even outright Forge, but something like Invasion options where you can change the order of objectives and the amount of damage/time/<insert action> to capture them.

That's what I'm hoping as well, with a set of objects for various objectives in additon to objective volumes to make take/defense goals less abstract (think Generator Defense but with movable, configurable generators).

Another note about the OXM UK issue is the cover art. It shows the Chief holding a UNSC weapon which I've never seen before and can only guess is the Assault Carbine which has been talked about.

Fairly sure it's new art, though correct me if it's not.

If it didn't say 'UNSC' on the side I would have sworn it was Forerunner...

Shadders

Looks really meaty, has a bigger barrel than the shotgun so it'd be weird if it was the Assault Carbine as to me that sounded fairly lightweight. That said without any other weapon having been mentioned so far I don't know what other conclusion we can come to?

What if Spartan Ops takes place on levels made using the dev version of Forge 3.0?

Instead of pushing DLC-sized files, 343 just releases the new map/gametype files through in-game channels. They go through the testing that normal community maps go through but skip the more rigourous DLC certification process.

CG cutscenes, being simple video, are separate downloads and don't have to go through certification.

Might not work with AI or meet quality expectations, but it's an interesting idea.

(inb4 the usual gray/framerate jokes)

-------
Random off-topic stuff:
- Just finished reading A Clash of Kings. Diving straight into Storm of Swords, might start catching up on Season Two of GoT now that I finished the second book.

- If you enjoy horror movies (especially horror/comedy movies) go see Cabin in the Woods. It's fantastic. Go in as blind as possible, just know not to expect a standard "cabin in the woods" horror movie. It takes a left turn, and the result is highly entertaining.

TheOddOne

A
World
Ender

Arbitrary
Wape
Enhancements

A
Woman
Enslaver

Avian
Weaponized
Electromagnetizer
wtf.gif

GhaleonEB

What if Spartan Ops takes place on levels made using the dev version of Forge 3.0?

Instead of pushing DLC-sized files, 343 just releases the new map/gametype files through in-game channels. They go through the testing that normal community maps go through but skip the more rigourous DLC certification process.

CG cutscenes, being simple video, are separate downloads and don't have to go through certification.

Might not work with AI or meet quality expectations, but it's an interesting idea.

(inb4 the usual gray/framerate jokes)

That's what I was saying, though an advanced (dev version) Forge to craft the spaces is an interesting proposition.

I suspect the assets for Spartan Ops will be largely on-disc from campaign spaces and the missions are essentially game types and story elements built around them

The new mission is introduced with a notification splash similar to Reach's (New Spartan Ops episode available! Press A to download!) and the episode downloads as a game type with the CG movie attached, slotting into the Spartan Ops episode list.

Top Bottom