• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

XBOX 360 with HDMI port? Hmm..

hadareud

The Translator
I wouldn't be surprised if MS introduce another SKU, I don't think it will be this year though, seems very soon and HDDVD drives are still very expensive.

Lo-Volt

I don't need HDMI, but I would feel pretty steamed if this were to be released. I wonder how Microsoft would solve this with early adopters if they were to at all. :-|

loosus

Banned
No offense, but why would you think Microsoft will do anything for early adopters? The whole point is to get NEW people to buy a system.

Similarly, you don't get a $100 rebate when the prices of the consoles drop.

sharukins

Banned
IMO if the HD-DVD currently available at 499$ then for 360 it can come for only $100, why? because the one at $499 has 512 Mb Ram, Pentium IV 3.2 Ghz Processor and a full motherboard. in the 360 HD-DVD you only need the mechanics of the laser installed.

boo7z

JB1981 said:
Only if studios implement the image constraint token. Otherwise, component is more than capable of delivering 1080p, provided you have a set that'll accept it.

Very true...how many sets accept 1080p over component? Are there any?

wasting

Banned
RevenantKioku said:
Eh? What the **** is HDMI and why should I give a damn?

4026.jpg
!

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
I would like the HDMI, but I'm not gonna rebuy a 360 or anything for the convenience of the fewer wires and all-digital signal.

I would have bought an HDMI version at launch though.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
it costs money for the HDMI chipset and related licensing. MS won't do that for free. If they do it, it'll be a new SKU

And if they do it, they are dumb. They are just copying Sony, and that will help Sony validate their course of action.

"see, we told you all this shit was expensive. Even Microsoft can't keep the price down for all this value. Form an orderly queue"

The only way (IMO) for MS to fight Sony is not to try and play their game. Be confident in the offering they have and push like hell.

fse

if this rumor is true. blurry pics ftw?
MSFT might just add it to the premium ver, same price.

Dante

Yeah, as an early adopter I'd be real pissed if they did this too, I'd totally sell my current one and upgrade, but It be such a pain in the ass re-downloading all the markeplace crap I've already bought.

sharukins

Banned
f_elz said:
if this rumor is true. blurry pics ftw?
MSFT might just add it to the premium ver, same price.

Here is what MS should do

Drop the Core to 199

Drop the Premium to 299

Start the Platinum at 399 with HD-DVD

provide premium users an HD-DVD drive add-on for $100

fse

sharukins said:

Drop the Core to 199

Drop the Premium to 299

3 skus no way. 2 are enough.

snatches

I sincerely hope that they never have an internal HD DVD drive or a pack in option with a high end pack with the HD DVD drive included. It dilutes their message of choice and gives them a higher price point that they don't need to have.

what about cutting the core loose, cutting the premium loose, and just offering the new one at the same price the premium was at. At that point you are then you are essentially getting the functionality of the PS3 for $200 less.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
its too early in the X360 cycle for them to be adding expensive new stuff for no cost. I can't seem them putting in a HDDVD drive and HDMI output for zero cost to us. If at all possibly $499

fse

snatches said:
I sincerely hope that they never have an internal HD DVD drive or a pack in option with a high end pack with the HD DVD drive included. It dilutes their message of choice and gives them a higher price point that they don't need to have.

true, thats not what they will do. they already said, its a game machine.

Furoba

Lo-Volt said:
I don't need HDMI, but I would feel pretty steamed if this were to be released. I wonder how Microsoft would solve this with early adopters if they were to at all. :-|

They bundled each Xbox 360 with a special device called an external PSU. After a few months of service, it calls upon the ring of light to turn red, so Microsoft has to send you a brand new, working 360 with a HDMI port.
It wasn't a design flaw, it was all an elaborate tactic for getting everyone on the HDMI wagon.

:lol

The 60gb HDD is probably no more expensive than the 20gb one last year. Taking out the DVD drive and replacing it with the HD-DVD drive probably isn't too bad is MS can cut a deal. The HDMI port is my only real unknown.

Remeber that the cheap HD-DVD player Toshiba has been selling is essentially a mid range PC where the only diff is that it has an HD-DVD drive and is running an OS other than Windows.

Juice

f_elz said:
3 skus no way. 2 are enough.

You should call Microsoft and inform them.

If I recall, I was yelling on GAF a year ago that the 360 would be split between two SKUs and I received all kinds of hell for it. I turned out to be right, in spite of what the hardcore fans could fathom.

There's no reason Microsoft couldn't keep a premium line with additional functionality while cutting prices on the less fully-featured models. They've gone so far as to say that the 360 might have HDMI AND HD-DVD in the future.

Should be good for the videophiles, for most gamers this won't mean much at all.

Oh yeah, all this multiple SKU crap is ****ing retarded period. Just give me one box with all the shit you want in it at the beginning, that's it.

UltimaKilo

Gold Member
And leave all people who have already bought a 360 in the dark? I will be angry. If they do do something like this, they should wait another year and perhaps launch this new HDMI / HD DVD with a black 360?
xbox_360_black.jpg

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Pedigree Chum said:
Should be good for the videophiles, for most gamers this won't mean much at all.
It would mean better picture quality if you have a larger LCD screen for example, and also DVD upconversion with no need for VGA.

sharukins

Banned
OR it could be this HDMI is actually something they are now adding onto the HD-DVD add-on player after the PS3 price was announced

Mmmkay

sharukins said:
OR it could be this HDMI is actually something they are now adding onto the HD-DVD add-on player after the PS3 price was announced
They are putting 360 motherboards in the HD-DVD addon now?

It's very clear that AACS will allow HD playback through analogue connections until 2010 (or maybe even 2012) in which case neither party should really be worried. The HDMI pack is probably just a backup plan in case the AACS demands digital output with HDCP for HD playback anytime soon.

That said, the news do worry me, as I as considering getting a 360 next month..

Marconelly said:
It would mean better picture quality if you have a larger LCD screen for example, and also DVD upconversion with no need for VGA.

Like I said, it won't mean much for most gamers. Note: you are not part of this demographic.

Mmmkay

sharukins said:
how do u know thats a 360 motherboard
Aside from the obvious "why is there a massive heatsink in it?", "why would an addon have video out's when it doesn't have the bandwidth to receive uncompressed frame data from the 360?", "why would you duplicate all of the outputs featured on the 360?" ... I guess I'd have to go with:

This is what the old motherboard looked like. Wave that magic wand of imagination, and figure out how they've slightly rearranged the components in the system. The heatsink for Xenos is the same, they've reversed the positions of the LAN/USB and Video Out modules, and reduced the fan connector to a more common 3 pin variant.

Now sharukins, what makes you think that it is for the HD-DVD addon?

Calidor

UltimaKilo said:
And leave all people who have already bought a 360 in the dark? I will be angry. If they do do something like this, they should wait another year and perhaps launch this new HDMI / HD DVD with a black 360?
xbox_360_black.jpg

Wow, I don't even want the 360 but Microsoft needs to release the black 360, it looks damn good.

Mmmkay said:
Aside from the obvious "why is there a massive heatsink in it?", "why would an addon have video out's when it doesn't have the bandwidth to receive uncompressed frame data from the 360?", "why would you duplicate all of the outputs featured on the 360?" ... I guess I'd have to go with:
http://imagesocket.com/view/therm_removed20d.jpg

This is what the old motherboard looked like. Wave that magic wand of imagination, and figure out how they've slightly rearranged the components in the system. The heatsink for Xenos is the same, they've reversed the positions of the LAN/USB and Video Out modules, and reduced the fan connector to a more common 3 pin variant.

Now sharukins, what makes you think that it is for the HD-DVD addon?

I don't know dude... That's quite a reshuffling of parts if indeed it is as you say. I can understand flipping of USB and ethernet jacks (and maybe I'm seeing it wrong), but I think but the AV port would be on the wrong side of the case if this is indeed the new HDMI enabled mobo:

X360HDMI.jpg

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Pedigree Chum said:
Like I said, it won't mean much for most gamers. Note: you are not part of this demographic.
Actually, with my 30" CRT HDTV, I pretty much am. I doubt I could notice a difference in picture quality between the digital and analog signal on that TV. On my 19" LCD monitor I can, but it's just not the same thing. That's one of the reasons I'm leaning towards the $500 PS3 too, unless they make some really good use of the WiFi between the PSP and PS3 from the get-go.

Mmmkay

Shogmaster said:
I don't know dude... That's quite a reshuffling of parts if indeed it is as you say. I can understand flipping of USB and ethernet jacks (and maybe I'm seeing it wrong), but I think but the AV port would be on the wrong side of the case if this is indeed the new HDMI enabled mobo:
Yeah, you're right (didn't notice the edge of the mobo on the left in the leaked photo at first glance) it looks like the power end and the 'connectivity' end would have been switched over. It also looks like they would have reversed the positions of Xenos and Xenon in that case too. It goes without saying that my post should be prefaced with 'if real'. ;)

HokieJoe

mrklaw said:
it costs money for the HDMI chipset and related licensing. MS won't do that for free. If they do it, it'll be a new SKU

And if they do it, they are dumb. They are just copying Sony, and that will help Sony validate their course of action.

"see, we told you all this shit was expensive. Even Microsoft can't keep the price down for all this value. Form an orderly queue"

The only way (IMO) for MS to fight Sony is not to try and play their game. Be confident in the offering they have and push like hell.

Eh, it's all dependent upon price. If we're only talking an HDMI port, which I'm all for, then it will add some to the price. If they coincide HDMI inclusion with the forthcoming die shrink then it doesn't necessarily have to add anything to the cost if the market deems it necessary.

ZeoVGM

Banned
you people saying MULTIPLE SKUS ARE DUMB dont quite get it

if you can UPGRADE your core one, how is it retarded? it makes people who think 400 is too much go "oh, well there's a 300 one so maybe i can do that and get a game"

the 400 is the one you SHOULD get obviously, especially to gamers like us who want the best possible one. but there are people that dont care

as far as "screwing early adopters", i can understand that. im one of them

but i think also there really.. aren't that many considering what the system could sell, especially this holiday. most people who originally got it probably dont care, and thsoe who do can jsut get the external. me? i'd do that, or maybe even trade in my old one and whatever 360 games i dont want anymore and get a new one with the internal. but this christmas could be HUGE for 360 and i think having a high end version could only help. consumers like options as long as their not confusing (i will say that core/premium could get confusing, because they weren't marketed like they should have been, but the idea is there)

sharukins said:

Drop the Core to 199

Drop the Premium to 299

i agree that, except just drop Core all together.

JB1981

HDMI isn't a big deal for me. I currently have a 34" XBR 960 and everything - HD, SD, DVD, 360 - looks ****ing fantastically/amazingly good through component. It also helps that the set is analog, making component the better way to go anyway, but i digress ...

I also happen to hate just about every fixed-pixel/digital display on the market. As far as I'm concerned, FP LCD and RP LCD are competing to offer consumers the worst contrast ratio in the history of television. I basically hate LCD right now - it quite literally de-romanticizes the look of film .. makes everything look the same, regardless of the way it was shot.

It looks like SXRD is the only possible saving grace for people who value quality film-based performance. (Sorry for the rant).

HDMI. Believe.

Last Hope

I hope they do update the system and put this in. HDMI will never catch on at the rate of devices that support it are coming out.

It has begun and Sony really aced this oncee again.
I was in Circuit City today and overheard at least 3 sales people telling people that the PS3 will come with Blu Ray.

I think it's too late for MS to get on this bandwagon since it wasn't meant to be this way from the start. It's nice to have HD movie support just for the bullet point but I dont think the 360 will ever be a catalyst for HD sales the way the PS3 will be.

Early adopters indeed am screwed.

New version with HDMI and probably alot more stable than whats out on the shelves at the moment.

Nice of MS constantly saying their won't be an a HD-DVD or new version X360. People going out and buying 360s based on their statements.

If MS offically announced this Sales would stop in their tracks.

Rabid Wolverine said:
Early adopters indeed am screwed.

New version with HDMI and probably alot more stable than whats out on the shelves at the moment.

That would be true whether the HDMI is there or not because of the 65nm revision of the chips.

Nice of MS constantly saying their won't be an a HD-DVD or new version X360. People going out and buying 360s based on their statements.

If MS offically announced this Sales would stop in their tracks.

There are plenty who don't give a crap about HD-DVD (and Blu-Ray).

rubso

Banned
We received this image from a source who wishes to remain anonymous
lol, he must be drunk when he sent them these images. :lol
talking about Internal HD-DVDs is too early in my opinion.

Top Bottom