• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Activision Eric Hirshberg: Nothing formal for Wii U/Skylanders Giants Confirmed

BD1

Banned
On GameTrailers right now with Geoff.

Said Skylands Giants is coming to Wii U, then side-stepped everything else Wii U related.

Also "No Comment"ed BLOPs 2 for Wii U.

"No Formal Announcements" for Wii U this week.

Black Ops 2 was supposed to be in development, wasn't it? There seem to be a lot of games missing from the currently-announced lineup that we know/suspect are in development, so why are they not being announced?

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Unless Nintendo has some other show planned for the fall, this is mind-boggling.

GDGF

Soothsayer
"No comment" usually translates to "We can't talk about it".

That said, why can't they talk about it?

I expect we'll be hearing about another event soon.

markatisu

Unless Nintendo has some other show planned for the fall, this is mind-boggling.

Don't they always have another show planned. That is how they have handled the DS for the past 3 years or so. They started doing it with the Wii as well near the end.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Black Ops 2 was supposed to be in development, wasn't it? There seem to be a lot of games missing from the currently-announced lineup that we know/suspect are in development, so why are they not being announced?

Yes. And FIFA was confirmed on Eurogamer I think.

But - as I asked with the Vita at other events - why not announce these games now? You can see the effect the announcement today have had. Good as some were, there are gaping holes and stuff like Black Ops 2 - if it is indeed coming - should have been mentioned.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
But - as I asked with the Vita at other events - why not announce these games now? You can see the effect the announcement today have had. Good as some were, there are gaping holes and stuff like Black Ops 2 - if it is indeed coming - should have been mentioned.

This is very odd.

Fredrik

This whole E3 is odd, it's like they're all waiting for someone else to make the first serious move.

Effect

"No comment" usually translates to "We can't talk about it".

That said, why can't they talk about it?

I expect we'll be hearing about another event soon.

Maybe Microsoft is the problem. It was shown at their conference and maybe they have an exclusive on it as long as E3 is taking place.

Maybe Microsoft is the problem. It was shown at their conference and maybe they have an exclusive on it as long as E3 is taking place.

That might also explain why Sony didn't show off Blops for Vita. Either way you'd think if it was coming Nintendo could of at least bothered to mention it.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Activision is actually developing Sing!...

But published by Nintendo - pretty damning that Acti won't even take a punt on that.

That might also explain why Sony didn't show off Blops for Vita. Either way you'd think if it was coming Nintendo could of at least bothered to mention it.

They'd definitely be allowed mention it, put it on lists etc. Dunno what's going on there. Maybe it's being planned for later or is pending agreements with Nintendo.

Forkball

Activision actually supported the Wii pretty well when it came to Call of Duty, I too am curious about why there wouldn't be Blops 2. You'd think the release window for the game would be close to the Wii U's launch.

D_prOdigy

Announce something informally. Kick back on a comfy sofa. Wear a Hawaiian shirt with your cock hanging out on the desk.

markatisu

This is very odd.

Not really , I mean over the past few years E3 is not as important as it once was. There were even articles this year about publishers wanting to pull out.

With the internet the way is and social media, you can pretty much have an E3 at any given time if you invite the press.

The core gamers who are the only ones emotionally invested in E3 will come to any summit and intensely watch any trailer. So just like we learned in 2008 and Nintendo and MS reemphasized this week E3 apparently is just for getting some general info out for those who might not follow the game world on a 24/7 basis.

After seeing this conference I would expect there will be a Wii U event or conference same as they have done with the DS to make any big reveals

Antioch

I imagine they'll have an event around September to talk about Launch and Launch window details. I doubt they'd wait to announce launch games until then though, it'll be at E3 still or not at all I think.

Activision actually supported the Wii pretty well when it came to Call of Duty, I too am curious about why there wouldn't be Blops 2. You'd think the release window for the game would be close to the Wii U's launch.

Well, here's the thing. There are a lot of people missing who provided the Wii with decent support - even past its prime - who are absent. It's the big question coming out of E3 for me: what the hell happened?

Foffy

Banned

They've said for a while that they had other events planned soon. I think we didn't know the launch lineup and price of the 3DS until two months from launch in NA.

The industry in general wants the market to be two consoles only. As long as that is the case and Sony/MS are still kicking it Nintendo will always get the shaft. The big pubs simply do not want three consoles on the market and Nintendo is the odd man out.

Effect

What I'm hoping though is perhaps they are waiting until tonight to say something. They are suppose to be going over the Miiverse. Nintendo's online system has likely I'm sure to be integrated into that on a deep. They are going to show off how it works with NSMBU I think as well. So if they talk about it at E3 it might be there. At least I hope it is.

Should be interesting to find out who is in that room.

Foffy

Banned
Even if they have other events coming, this was a pretty desastrous showing so far. Not having anything from more than half the industry, including companies like Activision or EA Sports, is nothing short of embarassing and shocking.

I think it had to do with them trying to cover all fronts. In doing so, they've lightly padded some and abandoned others. Unless Nintendo had a three/four hour event, I think they were going to embarrass themselves with something.

I do think this was poor, though. They lost me after NSMBU and I never came back. That was the second thing they showed.

somethings REALLY fishy about this;

I get no BOps, but thinking that EA won't be there without 'any' of their sports game is like smoking weed.
I think there's something major preventing both Activision and EA to announce the games [or make them to begin with]

Also, weren't some Codemaster games confirmed earlier this year? Were are they?
what codemaster?

thefro

There's a difference between not satisfying everyone, and not even having anything from half the industry, including Activision.

Yep, even if they don't have time and wanted to just show Nintendoland for some reason, they could have at least flashed a slide up of the EA games and Activision games coming down the pipe.

Sean

Banned
Not really , I mean over the past few years E3 is not as important as it once was. There were even articles this year about publishers wanting to pull out.

With the internet the way is and social media, you can pretty much have an E3 at any given time if you invite the press.

But this is a new console reveal, they always try to assure people it'll be heavily supported by third parties even if there's nothing to actually show yet. That's why these E3 conferences always have huge screens showing 50 developer logos and whatnot.

There's a difference between not satisfying everyone, and not even having anything from half the industry, including Activision.

Yup.

I think the hope has to be that they are planning on staggering announcements over the rest of the show or in the weeks and months ahead. It's that or they are going to be launching a console with less support than the Wii, which came off the back of the GameCube when the whole industry was basically looking at Nintendo as a distant third to Sony/MS, and I find that hard to believe.

I get no BOps, but thinking that EA won't be there without 'any' of their sports game is like smoking weed.
I think there's something major preventing both Activision and EA to announce the games [or make them to begin with]

Peter Moore flat out said there wouldn't be EA Sports stuff at the launch window. The only thing preventing them is probably that they don't think diverting resources to get WiiU stuff out early is worth it.

BD1

Banned
Yup.

I think the hope has to be that they are planning on staggering announcements over the rest of the show or in the weeks and months ahead. It's that or they are going to be launching a console with less support than the Wii, which came off the back of the GameCube when the whole industry was basically looking at Nintendo as a distant third to Sony/MS, and I find that hard to believe.

It's an optimist's view, but Reggie has harped on building momentum for a year now. They might have some grand plan of announcing games over the coming months to build interest up to launch.

It's an optimist's view, but Reggie has harped on building momentum for a year now. They might have some grand plan of announcing games over the coming months to build interest up to launch.

Possibly. Given the reaction today - and assuming that is the case - I think it could be pretty damaging, even if only in the short-run.

Sega wasn't coming off one of the fastest selling consoles of all time for one.

The situations aren't at all similar, there's no doubt about that. But there is precedent for EA dropping all support for a console that's all I was saying.

This is what I think is going on if EA and Activision's support for the WiiU is really this lackluster, especially after the emphasis Nintendo put on EA's support at last year's E3. MS or Sony have paid them to pull support.

Kusagari

Peter Moore flat out said there wouldn't be EA Sports stuff at the launch window. The only thing preventing them is probably that they don't think diverting resources to get WiiU stuff out early is worth it.

EA will put their games on ANYTHING.

The fact that they don't have a Madden or Fifa coming out near launch blows my mind.

Matt

But an Activision studio is developing a Nintendo-published game for WiiU. Surely that must count for something.

he did? really, when? :D

that's 'really' disappointing; considering all the stuff they did for Kinect voice command support.

This is what I think is going on if EA and Activision's support for the WiiU is really this lackluster, especially after the emphasis Nintendo put on EA's support at last year's E3. MS or Sony have paid them to pull support.
we are in a really fucked up industry if not only you can pay to 'get' support, but to 'pull it off' from competition; I mean, it's a multiplat game already, then the fuk?

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed

My guess: They don't want to divert resources from the major PS3/360 BLOPS sellers. So they'll work on the Wii U version once those games are out and release it sometime next year. At the same time, they don't want to announce the Wii U version because it might take away from sales this holiday.

It's just better to deny it exists at all at this point. If it does exist I guess.

They don't even want to publish a casual singing title. That should tell you everything you need to know.
Not really, that doesn't say anything; it actually makes it more complicated lol

My guess: They don't want to divert resources from the major PS3/360 BLOPS sellers. So they'll work on the Wii U version once those games are out and release it sometime next year. At the same time, they don't want to announce the Wii U version because it might take away from sales this holiday.
why would it matter to them on which console their game sell?

It's just better to deny it exists at all at this point. If it does exist I guess.

Except - as noted elsewhere - Treyarch were supposedly showing the game off to press recently.

Top Bottom