• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[EA-Conf] Need for Speed: Most Wanted E3 2012 trailer and gameplay

Sounds like it has no story, no career, no goals.
Nothing but a hollow playground with only AutoLog to keep you entertained.

That's incredibly lazy and cheap game design.

It better run at 60fps (on consoles), so we can at least treat it as a Burnout Paradise sequel.

Ah, whoops, didn't notice the quotation marks.
I was close to making a joke myself, telling you it's probably a new Ford.

If you require a story in a RACING game, I suggest you find a new genre. Perhaps a nice relaxing JRPG or something.

The Autolog features sound HOT.

Yep, looks like another Burnout game to me. Kinda disappointing but not unexpected, I guess. I'll try the demo (if they is one) and then probably pass, because I'll probably hate the driving, like I did in HP.

What you described basically just sounds like how the series originally started out. The original NFS didn't have any customization (at least from what I remember). It was about giving gamers the ability to control some of the most expensive cars in the world. So, clean cars in beautiful locations.

And that was fine for Hot Pursuit, because the original didn't have customization either. But this is supposed to be Most Wanted and it looks and plays nothing like Most Wanted. If they're going to "remake" a game, then they should do it right. And Underground-style racer in a huge city.

EYEL1NER

Nice for them to tell us about all the new features, such as Autolog, the new Autolog enhancements, and the addition of Autolog!

I just got a super-cheap copy of Most Wanted, so I will just ignore this and keep myself happy with Most Wanted and Burnout Paradise and maybe they will release a demo that will surprise me and make me want it.

Xun

Do you guys think we'll see a Burnout game again in the future?

It would be a shame if we didn't.

Great to have another Criterion game with cops as a theme.

But am I the only one who thinks Criterion are being held back technically by working on NFS games? These are licensed cars, so damage can only go so far with the car models. Codemasters claim their damage model is the most advanced, but to me that's not really the truth, as Paradise's just looks so much more advanced, even being 4 years old. Nothing comes close to those slo-mo top-down views of the car being smashed. Oh well...

Multiplayer preview now here!

http://www.gametrailers.com/netstorage/e3/live.html

Truly BP2?

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
I'm curious as to why the F-150 SVT Raptor is in the game. There better be some off roading.

Will there be a manual shift this time?

He-he have you seen how much silence was in the first part of the gameplay, barely if some guys made some applauds. Seriously, this MW is a combo of Hot Pursuit & The Run right here, with executing your cars. Have you heard what he said in the first moments, that, the new NFS named MW is based on "Get the best points from stunts, driving, to compete with others online and be the "Most Wanted". The driving looked exactly nothing from the old NFS series, as the car was bouncing from left to right.

So this is it. NFS series died a long ago; car customization doesn't exist anymore, they never heard of it. Open world with clean cars, I've been there with Driver San Francisco and it was much better.

At least for those that consider this a Burnout, I'm blad for them.

I think this is kind of funny. You bemoan the death of "old NFS" and go on about car customization and whatnot when it wasn't really a feature in "old NFS". I remember some people were less than thrilled about the "new direction" of NFS with the Underground games. Hell, not everyone was pleased by the step away from relatively pure racing with the original Hot Pursuit!

Not making a judgement on the value of the different eras of NFS, I just find it amusing. This is an unfortunate development for those hoping for a true Most Wanted game.

crispyben

So, I watched the trailer and the gameplay demo looking for some tidbits on the game, and here's what I found:

- Part of Fairhaven City seems to be under construction (cranes, construction sites, unfinished buildings, empty lots, huge pipes...)
- Collectibles shown are Billboards, Cooldown Spots (66), Security Gates (63), Jumps (93), Speed Cameras (64), Road Rules (56)
- Manufacturers shown include Aston-Martin, Ford, Porsche, Dodge, Lamborghini, Opel, BMW, Nissan, Range-Rover (?), Subaru (?), Cadillac, Peugeot, GMC, Chevrolet
- BioWare's offices are shown, along with an ad for Visceral Games, maybe an E3 thing
- Streets shown include Traver St., Murphy St., Garber St., Kruger Av., Hutchinson Av., Hanna St., Lorenzo St., Malone St., Chance St.
- Possible landmarks shown include South Station, Ripley's Point, McClane
- Misc. > a functioning railroad crossing is shown, the yellow Porsche's license plate is BU4N-OUT, "cost to state" is displayed, Deep Cups Coffee is everywhere!

I hope this retains part of the spirit of BP, as indicated by some of the above.

Gen X

Trust no one. Eat steaks.
Any racing game with Criterions name on it gets my money.

God save the Queen. =D

saladine1

Very disappointed with this. I expected a 'remake' of the original Most Wanted, not another Criterion HP and Burnout fusion.
Honestly, why didn't they just go with another name?
People were expecting customization,upgrades,blacklist and atmosphere of the original.

I hope EA have another studio lined up for an Underground remake or something similar that brings back the aforementioned elements. We haven't had a decent customization/upgrades filled NFS street racer in a while.

While i'm disappointed, Ill still play the game. I'm a racing game NUT. I've bought and played every NFS to date being one of my favourite franchises.
The only thing that NEEDS to be fixed in order for me to forget what's been done here, is the physics/handling. For the love of God Criterion, please, please don't go with the HP handling...please fix that shit...please!!!

crispyben

Looking at the multiplayer walkthrough, Takedowns are in, as well as some kind of XP called SP (Speed Points) that takes you up on the Most Wanted list. They show players driving across the city and meeting up for a race with no predefined grid, then roaming around after the finish and taking each other down... Sounds like BP to me! Info on who took you down is displayed with a license plate like those in BP, with car stats. They're looking at minimum 200 challenges (race, longest jump, speedtest...) in the game, hopefully they bring it close to BP's 500!

Returners

Looking at the multiplayer walkthrough, Takedowns are in, as well as some kind of XP called SP (Speed Points) that takes you up on the Most Wanted list. They show players driving across the city and meeting up for a race with no predefined grid, then roaming around after the finish and taking each other down... Sounds like BP to me! Info on who took you down is displayed with a license plate like those in BP, with car stats. They're looking at minimum 200 challenges (race, longest jump, speedtest...) in the game, hopefully they bring it close to BP's 500!

Needs more Takedown Snapshots!

Jamie OD

I don't care what name it should use, I'm really looking forward to this. Curious to see what improvements are added to the Autolog.

NinjaBoiX

This is more like Hot Pursuit than Burnout.

Anyway, as I said in the other thread I wish Criterion would just make their handling more arcade-like for these arcade games. I don't like the really big, heavy feeling shit they go with.

I had to stop playing HP because of the handling. There was probably a fun game underneath but the way the cars controlled just got on my tits.
HP's handling is godlike. Yeah, a lot heavier than BP, but so much more satisfying once you get the hang of it. I was so bummed after the demo, but I bought it on blind faith, and didn't stop playing until I'd topped my autolog. So fucking good.

HP's handling is godlike. Yeah, a lot heavier than BP, but so much more satisfying once you get the hang of it. I was so bummed after the demo, but I bought it on blind faith, and didn't stop playing until I'd topped my autolog. So fucking good.

Every time I touched it, it felt just terrible. Way too much emphasis on drifting. I don't expect arcade racers to drive like GT or Forza, but a floating tank on ice is really not what I want, especially not with licensed cars.

I really hope this game uses the Kinect / PSEye cameras the same way that Burnout Paradise used the Xbox Vision Camera. I played endless hours of BOP (with Gaffers, so no dick shots) and getting to see the faces of people when you wreck them was fucking brilliant.

Goldrusher

0016.jpg

Bombing down the road at 100mph and leaping over the freeway naturally attracts the law, and giving cops the slip is half the fun of Most Wanted. The other half is, of course, smashing their cars into walls, off bridges, and into oblivion. Vehicles in Most Wanted feel heavy, sound powerful, and hit like wrecking balls. Most Wanted encourages some serious car-on-car violence, even beyond the stuff Hot Pursuit enabled.

The larger spaces and exploration lets you line up devastating takedowns, whether you’re mid-race, sabotaging a jump competition, or just griefing pals rolling around your world. Players can explore the city on their own, group up for events, or smash each other’s Autolog records on the fly. Notoriety is the focus rather than fastest laps, although wins and accomplishments contribute to your Speed Points. As is the modern standard, seemingly everything adds to your total.

No matter what the Need for Speed name means to you, Most Wanted is Burnout Paradise with police. It's about the chase, from police and against friends. It makes you want to break the law by becoming the most notorious driver on your friends' list. It's familiar, looks good, moves fast, and feels fantastic. Basically, Most Wanted is exactly what you want from an arcade racing game, crafted by one of the best developers on the planet, and it's building on one of the best foundations in the franchise's history.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2012/06/06/e3-2012-need-for-speed-most-wanted-is-burnout-paradise-2

2z7i7h.jpg

1rsdrm.jpg

61mig5.jpg

5ikdq9.jpg

48eias.jpg

3jhfzr.jpg

http://www.ign.com/images/games/need-for-speed-most-wanted-pc-135628/4fcd298e9670037a18286423

crispyben

No matter what the Need for Speed name means to you, Most Wanted is Burnout Paradise with police. It's about the chase, from police and against friends. It makes you want to break the law by becoming the most notorious driver on your friends' list. It's familiar, looks good, moves fast, and feels fantastic. Basically, Most Wanted is exactly what you want from an arcade racing game, crafted by one of the best developers on the planet, and it's building on one of the best foundations in the franchise's history.
That dovetails nicely with my earlier posts about what was revealed so far by the videos we have. I can get behind that! I already can't wait for this game... Anybody know what's up with the license plates? Some of them look like dates, i.e. 08-31-94 on the police car, and rather recent ones at that (some '03 and '05 in the gameplay videos),so I'd guess they're the birth dates of the developers' children...

This is easily my most wanted game of the year. har har

Did anyone else think they were demoing the PC version during their press conference unveiling? First off, the graphics looked a little better than I would expect from the PS3, and that is usually the version Criterion has shown of it's games this gen.

I looked at an HD version of the stage demo again on youtube, and it appeared to me they were using a 360 controller while playing the game, so that had me even more confident it was the PC version.

Any confirmation of this?

That dovetails nicely with my earlier posts about what was revealed so far by the videos we have. I can get behind that! I already can't wait for this game... Anybody know what's up with the license plates? Some of them look like dates, i.e. 08-31-94 on the police car, and rather recent ones at that (some '03 and '05 in the gameplay videos),so I'd guess they're the birth dates of the developers' children...
Most likely. Burnout Paradise' roads/places were all named after developers.

Goldrusher

Anybody know what's up with the license plates? Some of them look like dates, i.e. 08-31-94 on the police car, and rather recent ones at that (some '03 and '05 in the gameplay videos),so I'd guess they're the birth dates of the developers' children...
August 31, 1994 was the release date of the very first NFS.

Slime

Banned
Will definitely get the Vita version whenever the hell I get a Vita, since I've long craved a portable Paradise. Perfectly suited for a handheld.

crispyben

August 31, 1994 was the release date of the very first NFS.
Nice catch, so 11-11-05 and 11-15-05 would be the original Most Wanted? And 11-17-03 would be Underground? A tease for their next reboot?
They've posted that demo (probably from a rehearsal) that shows it a bit better:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BaGE_ExVdw0

It's actually interesting now to spot all the Most Wanted drops: Speedtraps and Cooldown spots are in there, and the amount of police roadblock that "drives in to setup" looks amazing.
Looks like the same demo to me? Anyway, it's looking more and more like a mix of NFSMW and BOP, with discoverables from both games returning (Billboards, Road Rules, Jumps...), which is further cemented by Matt Webster's interview with GB posted above.

Looks like the same demo to me? Anyway, it's looking more and more like a mix of NFSMW and BOP, with discoverables from both games returning (Billboards, Road Rules, Jumps...), which is further cemented by Matt Webster's interview with GB posted above.
It is, it's the rehearsed one without bad crashes, like that stall when he clipped the wall (you can tell that where they were trying trigger certain escapes).

Edit: 12 Players online? AWESOME!

Top Bottom