• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Epic: UE4 full feature set requies 1 TFLOP GPU, a scaled down version exists for less

Console gaming has changed.

metal-gear-solid-4-guns-of-the-patriots--20060509075616415_640w.jpg

donny2112

I would guess the Wii-U has at least a DX10 class gpu.

Again, comes down to Wii U features and UE4 req's, but even if Wii U started with a base DirectX 10 GPU, it's possible they customized it sufficiently to be able to handle UE4 Lite requirements. In any case, Nintendo definitely significantly customize their GPUs, so it would take someone with more knowledge than the base GPU info sheet to know if UE4 Lite runs on it.

Again, comes down to Wii U features and UE4 req's, but even if Wii U started with a base DirectX 10 GPU, it's possible they customized it sufficiently to be able to handle UE4 Lite requirements. In any case, Nintendo definitely significantly customize their GPUs, so it would take someone with more knowledge than the base GPU info sheet to know if UE4 Lite runs on it.

Well considering UE4 Lite is supposed to run on phones and mainstream PCs it should be a given that Wii U could handle it. My question was in regards to whether Wii-U could run UE4 full, but I guess thats a given too.

You launch consoles at that price, and you can kiss it goodbye. You're better off building yourself a PC.

Exactly. I honestly don't understand why people seem to crave an 800$ console when they can simply build a gaming PC and enjoy top-notch graphics. Maybe get a console on the side for the platform exclusives and you're set.

Consoles have to launch at a low price point or risk consumer indifference. Hardcore gamers that want absolute power should definitely check out PC gaming. It doesn't bite guys, honest :)

thuway

Please don't do this to yourself
When a 7970m is 2 teraflops by itself, you honestly believe that in late 2013/ early 2014 these consoles won't cross that barrier? What are you talking about mang....

An x51 by Alienware can easily get 2.56 teraflops in 2012. As far as I am concerned these companies could easily hit 3 teraflops by next year. Early 2014 might net them 3.5.

StevieP

Banned
An x51 by Alienware can easily get 2.56 teraflops.

Chittagong's experiment is wonderful, however the lifespan of the internal components is in question when you consider how much heat in a small space that they regularly face.

The 2011 Macbook Pro gets so hot that it's unusable on my lap. That ain't good for the chips. lol

As far as teraflops go? No, if I were you I'd temper my expectations in regards to the next gen consoles reaching >2.5TF.

If you want a high-end platform that will do that amount, there will be only 1. And it isn't a console.

thuway

Chittagong's experiment is wonderful, however the lifespan of the internal components is in question when you consider how much heat in a small space that they regularly face.

The 2011 Macbook Pro gets so hot that it's unusable on my lap. That ain't good for the chips. lol

As far as teraflops go? No, if I were you I'd temper my expectations in regards to the next gen consoles reaching >2.5TF.

If you want a high-end platform that will do that amount, there will be only 1. And it isn't a console.
The little experiment as you put it shows the total drawn power and load to be perfectly normal for that sized box. Who knows what MS and Sony can do. I think your under estimating next gen performance.

StevieP

Banned
The little experiment as you put it shows the total drawn power and load to be perfectly normal for that sized box. Who knows what MS and Sony can do. I think your under estimating next gen performance.

Cooling and longevity are just as important for a console, and it would be just as unwise to have an unreliable launch.

It's not me who's underestimating, btw.

forget UE4 on Wii U; that's why they (Nintendo) have been bragging about their ability to run UE3 games.

just my $0.02, but UE4 is "a bridge too far" for Wii U.

KageMaru

Exactly. I honestly don't understand why people seem to crave an 800$ console when they can simply build a gaming PC and enjoy top-notch graphics. Maybe get a console on the side for the platform exclusives and you're set.

Consoles have to launch at a low price point or risk consumer indifference. Hardcore gamers that want absolute power should definitely check out PC gaming. It doesn't bite guys, honest :)

Actually it should be possible to see a generational leap in a $400-$500 box as long as MS/Sony are willing to eat some of the cost at first.

StevieP

Banned
Actually it should be possible to see a generational leap in a $400-$500 box as long as MS/Sony are willing to eat some of the cost at first.

The issue, in my opinion, is that they are less willing to.

Microsoft appears to be in the position to be able to take more upfront loss however if you read bkillian's recent posts on Beyond3D, it seems like their working order is to bleed far less (in regards to an upfront loss) this time around as well.

MrBelmontvedere said:
just my $0.02, but UE4 is "a bridge too far" for Wii U.

"SubHD" xD

I do game on the PC. But where will I find the latest game from Sony Santa Monica? 343? Polyphony? From Software? Namco Bandai? Lionhead? Why should the games from my favorite studios be deprived of the best of the best in terms of visual fidelity?

I do game on the PC. But where will I find the latest game from Sony Santa Monica? 343? Polyphony? From Software? Namco Bandai? Lionhead? Why should the games from my favorite studios be deprived of the best of the best in terms of visual fidelity?

because of the economic crash that occurred a few years ago and we still haven't fully recovered from.

donny2112

so, I'm assuming from your facetious reply that you DO expect to see UE4 on Wii U?

Not the full version, but the Lite version, yes. Seems almost like it was tailor-made by Epic for Wii U and other lesser platforms. Wouldn't surprise me if Nintendo worked directly with Epic to make sure that this Lite version would work for their system.

Edit:
My comment was in regards to the fact you didn't seem to be taking the Lite version into account in your estimation that Wii U would be only able to run UE3 games. Also, I haven't seen any comments from Nintendo "bragging" about being able to run UE3. Epic has made a point of saying it, yes, but haven't heard any such talk from Nintendo on it.

Not the full version, but the Lite version, yes. Seems almost like it was tailor-made by Epic for Wii U and other lesser platforms. Wouldn't surprise me if Nintendo worked directly with Epic to make sure that this Lite version would work for their system.

I'm betting the Lite version was tailor made for cell phones; cell phone games don't translate well to home consoles.

edit: quote was indeed attributed to the wrong source, but the point it makes is still valid. Epic would be bragging about how good UE4 runs on Wii U if such were possible. instead we see the same, only regarding UE3 games.

You know, if their gonna do consoles with different skus and price points (like the way it is now), just end it and have different specs too.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
cell phone games don't translate well to home consoles.
I'm not saying your guess about UE4 on WiiU is wrong (or right) but all the logic/evidence you aggressively present so far are so completely off the mark. As if Epic is going to hardcode the engine with particular types of games that wouldn't translate to consoles well in mind alone. Especially when they've already said it's pretty much one engine for all with two different renderers, one for high end one for low. But that's going back to what the other poster told you about at least reading the OP before posting I guess.

Edit: well, I guess you'll just ignore this and anything else attempting to correct you. Seriously, you seem super ignorant of the shit you're trying to discuss, from misquoting others to pretending you know for a fact UE4 Lite as it has been called can only lead to phone games as opposed to ports of any suitable UE4 game to lower end platforms as long as devs and pubs are willing.

StevieP

Banned
You know, if their gonna do consoles with different skus and price points, just end it and have different specs too.

In this case, all the advantages to having a fixed hardware spec go away.

I don't understand why more of you aren't building yourself gaming PCs, however, because that's exactly what most of you are asking for. I mean most of the consoles next gen are basically going to be fixed-hardware mid/mid-high end PCs anyway. If you want a consistent 1080p/60 you're better off making that investment yourself.

I don't understand why more of you aren't building yourself gaming PCs, however, because that's exactly what most of you are asking for. I mean most of the consoles next gen are basically going to be fixed-hardware mid/mid-high end PCs anyway. If you want a consistent 1080p/60 you're better off making that investment yourself.

I have one and most of the games i wanna play are on consoles only like last of us, Uncharted, Halo, etc..

ekim

Looking at some ps3 exclusives, I'm completely optimistic regarding the next gen.
My only concern is the choice between Sony and Microsoft. I slightly regret buying a 360 because of its lack of interesting first party titles but the 360 performs mostly better on multiplatform titles.

Why do you continue to ask this? even though people have replied back with "I can't play "x" on a pc." before.

donny2112

Epic would be bragging about how good UE4 runs on Wii U if such were possible.

That would probably be because the version they care most about, the full-featured version, doesn't run on Wii U. Wii U was never a target platform for the full UE4. However this UE4 Lite seems like a way to help in porting UE4 games to lesser platforms thanks to engines with similarity in their design. As long as Wii U supports the feature set, it seems likely UE4 Lite will be an option on Wii U.

thuway

I have one and most of the games i wanna play are on consoles only like last of us, Uncharted, Halo, etc..
Ditto. It's a strange world we live in. On the one hand we have Wii U fans trying to establish this notion that Sony and Microsoft should go for hardware that is absolutely pathetic in 2013 and on the other hand we have PC gamers who don't understand the lure to console gaming. I own a gaming laptop and I find myself on my PS3 more often than anything else.

StevieP

Banned
Why do you continue to ask this? even though people have replied back with "I can't play "x" on a pc."

Because it is worth repeating. The more consoles that stick around the better (I would be happy if Sega was still around, for instance). What some people on these forums are asking is for a console maker to basically hang their $600 device out to dry, or hang themselves out to dry. It's a fine balancing act and the scales aren't tipped in the favour of $800 boxes being sold for $400 for this upcoming generation. Nor will you have them "waiting for better/smaller/cooler" hardware years after other console makers release their product, at their own behest.

If you want the best visuals, you won't find them on a (comparatively) tiny set top box in front of your television. What you will find is something that provides great visuals for a great price with a great hook (i.e. a much better Kinect), not something that's bleeding edge and sold at a $300 loss.

thuway

Because it is worth repeating. The more consoles that stick around the better (I would be happy if Sega was still around, for instance). What some people on these forums are asking is for a console maker to basically hang their $600 device out to dry, or hang themselves out to dry. It's a fine balancing act and the scales aren't tipped in the favour of $800 boxes being sold for $400 for this upcoming generation. Nor will you have them "waiting for better/smaller/cooler" hardware years after other console makers release their product, at their own behest.

If you want the best visuals, you won't find them on a (comparatively) tiny set top box in front of your television. What you will find is something that provides great visuals for a great price with a great hook (i.e. a much better Kinect), not something that's bleeding edge.
No one is asking for that. However, like I said earlier: when a 7970m nets you 2+ teraflops performance and you combine that with an APU- you can only imagine the possibilities of a box in the early 2014.

If you want the best visuals, you won't find them on a (comparatively) tiny set top box in front of your television. What you will find is something that provides great visuals for a great price with a great hook (i.e. a much better Kinect), not something that's bleeding edge and sold at a $300 loss.

Still, whats the point of having the best hardware when the games you wanna play aren't on it. And when games look like Last of Us and Halo4 on these old ass outdated consoles, i have to say im less inclined to even wanna upgrade my PC now and just keep the $ for next gen consoles.

StevieP

Banned
Silly.Mikey said:
Still, whats the point of having the best hardware when the games you wanna play aren't on it.

I don't know, you tell me? You're the one who's suggesting otherwise. If any prospective console has games you want to play on it, it doesn't matter whether it's got a 32GF GPU or an 1850GF GPU - you'll simply buy it and enjoy it.

No one is asking for that. However, like I said earlier: when a 7970m nets you 2+ teraflops performance and you combine that with an APU- you can only imagine the possibilities of a box in the early 2014.

Or, mid/late 2013. Laptop components should also be discarded in the majority of cases due to their binned nature.

And lots of people are asking for that. You've basically begged and pleaded in the last 6 months on multiple occasions for Sony to delay their console to late 2014 so that there could be what constitutes a "full" generational leap on multipliers alone instead of a more modest 1.2-1.8tf 2013 machine (i.e. what the 2 console makers are looking at currently) that's less of a razor blade proposition and good for the company and the majority of the mass market.

You'd basically be dooming Sony to hand a giant chunk of userbase to the competition for your own personal gain. Why would anyone want their "console maker of choice" to make such a boneheaded move?

That would probably be because the version they care most about, the full-featured version, doesn't run on Wii U. Wii U was never a target platform for the full UE4. However this UE4 Lite seems like a way to help in porting UE4 games to lesser platforms thanks to engines with similarity in their design. As long as Wii U supports the feature set, it seems likely UE4 Lite will be an option on Wii U.

so you don't think UE4 Lite is targeted at the smartphone ecosystem, but rather a variant of UE4 that is being developed for one single home console?

or, you do think UE4 Lite is being developed for smartphones, and expect to enjoy playing those games on your HDTV?

thuway

Or, mid/late 2013. Laptop components should also be discarded as any kind of indicator at the moment.

And lots of people are asking for that. You've basically begged and pleaded in the last 6 months on multiple occasions for Sony to delay their console to late 2014 so that there could be what constitutes a "full" generational leap on multipliers alone instead of a more modest 1.2-1.8tf 2013 machine (i.e. what the 2 console makers are looking at currently) that's less of a razor blade proposition and good for the company and the majority of the mass market.

You'd basically be dooming Sony to hand a giant chunk of userbase to the competition for your own personal gain. Why would anyone want their "console maker of choice" to make such a boneheaded move?

My championing a 2014 console has many reasons in mind. The first being Jack Tretton claiming they will be late to market to insure the best box, second being jeff_rigby's speculation, and the last being ram densities improving. This is all theory and speculation but I want a healthy ecosystem and powerful hardware. 2014 is what all indicators are pointing to.

I don't know, you tell me? You're the one who's suggesting otherwise. If any prospective console has games you want to play on it, it doesn't matter whether it's got a 32GF GPU or an 1850GF GPU - you'll simply buy it and enjoy it.

Or, mid/late 2013. Laptop components should also be discarded in the majority of cases due to their binned nature.

Ill buy it right away if its a worthy enough jump in HW. I dont mind if a console generation lasts 6-7 years without new HW as long as its capable of "keeping up". 360 and ps3 seem to be able to do this with what we saw at E3. Devs are finding ways to make games look good on this old HW. WiiU on the other hand, im not sure is capable of lasting that long. Thats the difference. If im going to pay 450-500$, i want it to last.

Hell ill pay close to 600$ if i have to. But max that shit out, like that i know itll last.

KageMaru

The issue, in my opinion, is that they are less willing to.

Microsoft appears to be in the position to be able to take more upfront loss however if you read bkillian's recent posts on Beyond3D, it seems like their working order is to bleed far less (in regards to an upfront loss) this time around as well.

Well this can be said for both Sony and MS. Besides, we know MS originally had rather ambitious plans for the MS, so I wouldn't really take bkillian's post as if they won't give a good leap. Unless he's said more since the last time I paid attention.

Um... no. If Sony and MS bring their next set of consoles with only modest specs I will simply abandon console gaming. Yes, even if that means not being able to play the greats like Gran Turismo, Halo, Uncharted, Fable, ect.

That Alienware X51 is looking more and more enticing by the day. Especially with a high end videocard.

Um... no. If Sony and MS bring their next set of consoles with only modest specs I will simply abandon console gaming. Yes, even if that means not being able to play the greats like Gran Turismo, Halo, Uncharted, Fable, ect.

That Alienware X51 is looking more and more enticing by the day. Especially with a high end videocard.

Thats exactly why i stopped buying Nintendo consoles. They launch a Wii with slightly better Gamecube specs and a WiiU with slightly better 360 specs. Screw that.

donny2112

so you don't think UE4 Lite is targeted at the smartphone ecosystem,

UE4 Lite is targeted at lesser capable systems. That's what Epic said. That's what I've said. You're trying to narrow that down to cellphone games-only, which would be a pretty big presumption on your part, and not at all based on what's actually been said about it.

UE4 Lite is targeted at lesser capable systems. That's what Epic said. That's what I've said. You're trying to narrow that down to cellphone games-only, which would be a pretty big presumption on your part, and not at all based on what's actually been said about it.

I guess they need to make UE4-mid tier edition. >_>

Top Bottom