• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Square Enix registers FFVII PC domain, bonus evidence suggests achievements, $9.99

They should have made it $20 and given it a new translation

I never noticed problems as a kid but everyone says how bad it is, I wonder if adult me will get annoyed by it

Hellix

The Oddboxx first appeared on a first day of a Steam sale if I remember correctly. So, FF7 could show up that way too.

s_mirage

All I strongly desire is the original PSX music.

I can't imagine that it wouldn't have it. The Yamaha softsynth no longer works, next to noone has XG hardware, the built in Windows MIDI player is horrific, DirectMusic (which FF VIII used) has been deprecated, and soundfonts aren't an option for everybody either. So really they are going to have to come up with some solution to stop the music sounding like crap (or just get the rights to use FF7music).

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
Man, I'm just now remembering that all those JRPG characters are in their late teens and early 20s. I'm 21 and I haven't even saved the world once.

Damn you videogames for giving me unrealistic, immature expectations of life. Cloud is a VETERAN by 21. How am I supposed to compete with that?

I've been wanting to play this again. Now it's a race between this coming to Steam and Sony letting me play it on Vita. My money goes to whoever gets there first.

EDIT: Unless it's a new translation on Steam. Then it wins.

PaulLFC

A new edition of Final Fantasy 7 could finally be released on Steam, a leaked product description suggests.

The fresh version will include Steam features such as achievements (36 of them) and cloud saving as well as online profiles for you to compare game progress with friends.

There will also be a new Character Booster item to max-out your HP, MP and Gil levels for when you "find yourself stuck on a difficult section or lacking the funds to buy that vital Phoenix Down".

The new information briefly appeared on FinalFantasyVIIPC.com, a domain that Final Fantasy developer Square Enix registered on 15th June (as spotted by the GOG Forum).

The page is still visible via Google's sneaky cache.

Square Enix listed the digital download as £7.99/€9.99.

It wouldn't be the first time Square Enix has considered releasing the game on Steam. Steam registry entries for Final Fantasy 7 and 8 were discovered in June last year.

Eurogamer has asked Square Enix for comment.

The site doesn't mention Steam by name, but achievements probably mean it's likely.

600x-1

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2012-06-21-final-fantasy-7-coming-to-steam-leak-suggests

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
I guess hoping for better resolution and less pixelated cinematics is asking for too much? I still have the original CDs from the PC version, but those 2 things were my biggest issues.

I guess hoping for better resolution and less pixelated cinematics is asking for too much? I still have the original CDs from the PC version, but those 2 things were my biggest issues.

It's not likely thanks to the game's use of 2D pre-rendered backgrounds. And I doubt they have the source material to make higher quality CG cutscenes.

Himself

Does it seem odd that Square would release a possibly updated version of one of their most beloved games on PC only? Not just because of financial reasons, but also because no one games on PCs in Japan.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
I know there was a thread for that, thought this was new thread worthy though as there's actual confirmation that the game's being released now rather than just the domain name, with some features listed etc.
New thread for new news.

Yes, I know, I just think that the existing thread could have used a title update as the information was taken from the website.

Edit: I keep forgetting mods/admins can merge threads. :p

I still remember my time with the game fondly. Could very well pick it up
during one of those SE catalogue sales, mind you
if this means more titles are released on Steam (FFXI!).

Paches

Does it seem odd that Square would release a possibly updated version of one of their most beloved games on PC only? Not just because of financial reasons, but also because no one games on PCs in Japan.

I am sure there is at least one guy who does.

mclem

Crazy thought: GoG? It's within their remit, it's within their pricerange, and they have a working relationship with SqueenixEidos.

Cheddahz

Banned
If this shows up on Steam for 10 bucks, I'll pick it up first day. My PS1 copy of it is scratched up and I don't really play my PS3 that much

RPGCrazied

Seriously. Who wants to play this on PC? Digging up your original PS discs and playing them on the epsxe emu would look better than the PC ports. They have so much wrong with them.

The music and sounds are midi, playstation version is the real deal.
The FMV are so compressed they don't look good at all.
If I recall even the prerendered backdrops don't look as good as the PS version.

I don't think achievements can save this one, for me anyways.

LiK

Seriously. Who wants to play this on PC? Digging up your original PS discs and playing them on the epsxe emu would look better than the PC ports. They have so much wrong with them.

If I recall even the prerended backdrops don't look as good as the PS version.

console haters

If I recall even the prerendered backdrops don't look as good as the PS version.

Now you know how PC gamers feel about almost every game.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Couldn't they have, I don't know, replaced the music and FMVs? I mean, they put in Achievements and some built in cheat thing, replacing the music with the PS1 version shouldn't be too hard.

Skilletor

People without the discs, maybe?

Or without a ps3 to play the digital version?

Just a couple of likely scenarios off the top of my head.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer

Last time I played it on PC the pre-rendered backgrounds were all messed up. They appeared as segmented blocks or something really strange...

Top Bottom