• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Charts: 17 - 23 July

the androgyne said:
pink-prints-more.gif

the girl in green should have a crushed PSP in her hand

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
From an early june MC thread:
june11japmario.png

At this rate NSMB will definitely reach SMW.

Lapsed

Banned
When the DS sales went nuts at the end of 2005, I considered it due to a holidary splurge which lasted because of the shortages.

When the DS sales rocketed again, much of it could be explained by the DS Lite (of people with old DSes updating their systems).

These huge DS sales in Japan aren't going to be going away soon, it appears. But the DS hasn't had the same "OMGWTFBBQ" effect in America and Europe. With the release of the Lite and Brain Age, sales will be much better but still...

Can anyone in Japan tell me exactly why the DS became a social phenomenon over there? What exactly is propelling all these sales? Non-gamers and lapsed gamers coming back helps explains it, but still the sales are so absurdly high.

Why has Japan so embraced the DS? Is there a popular bandwagon effect in Japan where a product gets popular and everyone jumps on it? Sorry, but I'm a confused American wondering how these strong DS sales have stayed so insanely strong for half a year.

BTW, I love the Mario chart! :D

KINGMOKU

jj984jj said:
From an early june MC thread:
june11japmario.png

At this rate NSMB will definitely reach SMW.
Its at 2.45million now, with the holiday season looming on the horizon. Can it topple the Monster?

It's gonna be close, but I say yes.

Raw64life

NSMB has a decent shot at 4 million. Will probably be the best selling Mario game of any kind since Super Mario World when it's all said and done. Mario Kart doing around 20k still is also quite impressive.

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
RainbowL33T said:
Where's the first&third Mario on the NES on that graph?
Well I didn't make the graph, like I said it is a old chart from an old thread and that's why it's outdated. But I believe the numbers are from http://vgcharts.org/ and there aren't any sales for some of the early Mario games on there.

Lapsed said:
Why has Japan so embraced the DS? Is there a popular bandwagon effect in Japan where a product gets popular and everyone jumps on it? Sorry, but I'm a confused American wondering how these strong DS sales have stayed so insanely strong for half a year.
The odd thing is, even though it's immensely popular, I see twice the number of PSPs in public over the DS (maybe even 3 times).

Akia

marvelharvey said:
The odd thing is, even though it's immensely popular, I see twice the number of PSPs in public over the DS (maybe even 3 times).

Wow, maybe people are just using DS's as paperweight.

Terrell

marvelharvey said:
*restrains cheap shot joke about PSP's size* ;)

starship

psycho_snake's and The Black Brad Pitt's B*TCH
Its great to see Mario Kart and Tetris both selling well still. Tetris will become a million seller by the end of the year and I think Mario Kart will break 1.5m soon.
Its great to see a game (Mario Kart) which was released 7 months ago, can still hang on there and sell 20k a week. Those who say these insane DS sales can only help non games must be in denial to ignore these type of sales and legs.

Gotta revise now.

New Super Mario Bros. should definitely surpass Super Mario World now. Super Mario Land may also fall.

How friggin' insane is this? :lol

I have to admit, I really doubted Mario would ever see sales like this in Japan again.

mj1108

Are there even any words in the English language that can describe these sales anymore?? 262k+ in a week for only a new color in the middle of July is just (fill in the word here).

Lapsed said:
When the DS sales went nuts at the end of 2005, I considered it due to a holidary splurge which lasted because of the shortages.

When the DS sales rocketed again, much of it could be explained by the DS Lite (of people with old DSes updating their systems).

These huge DS sales in Japan aren't going to be going away soon, it appears. But the DS hasn't had the same "OMGWTFBBQ" effect in America and Europe. With the release of the Lite and Brain Age, sales will be much better but still...

Can anyone in Japan tell me exactly why the DS became a social phenomenon over there? What exactly is propelling all these sales? Non-gamers and lapsed gamers coming back helps explains it, but still the sales are so absurdly high.

BTW, I love the Mario chart! :D

In a nutshell: the lineup of titles that are out. There's something for everyone.

neo2046

NEW SMB

week01 899518
week02 334208
week03 244882
week04 200037
week05 170168
week06 154299
week07 134568
week08 119190
week09 145095

Lapsed said:
Why has Japan so embraced the DS? Is there a popular bandwagon effect in Japan where a product gets popular and everyone jumps on it?
Yes. Yes there is.

http://insider.ign.com/articles/716/716496p1.html

In two instances -- once next to a GameCube, and once next to a chocolate-dipped bun -- I saw signs that read, ima, uretemasu! This translates to "These are really selling right now!". I'm a bit reluctant to take the game shop's word for it that the GameCube is really selling, even though it did move more units than Xbox 360 this week. But the message is clear: consumers are being told very specifically, hey, everybody else is buying this, and so should you. The signs don't read "Recommended" or "Special This Week". They read "We're selling a lot of these."

Ima, uretemasu is typical in a country in which social conformity is prized. Take a course on Japanese culture, and from day one you'll learn about how rigid the social structure is. Rules governing what to do and when to do it. How to address people. How to bathe. How to live. This is not to say that the Japanese don't know how to have fun, or that they can't be individualistic. The current ruined state of my liver is testament to the ability of Japanese people to totally let loose. But even frivolity has its rules here. Knowing all this, it's no surprise that for all intents and purposes, the most prized consumer product here is the one that everyone else is buying, too.

Kobun Heat said:

That's far from specific to Japan. It may be harder to see in, say, America, because trends might be within ethnic groups or within geographical areas (East Coast, West Coast, etc). But we have our Rubic's Cubes and Elmo dolls, too. Herd mentality can and does happen anywhere. At least the DS is a worthwhile product, not something the "me too" crowd will be ashamed of later in life. :lol

Zen

Banned
Leondexter said:
That's far from specific to Japan. It may be harder to see in, say, America, because trends might be within ethnic groups or within geographical areas (East Coast, West Coast, etc). But we have our Rubic's Cubes and Elmo dolls, too. Herd mentality can and does happen anywhere. At least the DS is a worthwhile product, not something the "me too" crowd will be ashamed of later in life. :lol

It is true that other cultures have the me to fad mentality, but the Japanese culture has it in a much more prevalent fashion. That's not a jab at their culture, it's just true. The 'group' is emphasized much more in Japanese culture then say in our Western culture.

f@luS

More than a member.
I like nintendo but im sick of those charts
Brain training @ 2+millions really do sux

bleach :(

ioi

Banned
Latest data is up on VGCharts as most of you know.

Some analysis this week:

NSMB posts the second biggest week 9 on record:
http://www.vgcharts.org/japwk.php?week=9

The comparison with Pokemon Fire Red / Leaf Green has become pretty pointless now as Mario continues to stretch his legs:
http://www.vgcharts.org/japcomp.php?name1=New+Super+Mario+Bros&name2=Pokemon+Fire+Red+%2F+Leaf+Green

New SMB vs Mario 64:
http://www.vgcharts.org/japcomp.php?name1=New+Super+Mario+Bros&name2=Super+Mario+64

This gives some idea of the legs you can still expect from NSMB, I'm calling 5m now- beating every Mario game ever in Japan but the original on which it is based- what a return.

Brain Training 2 could do the unthinkable and even catch up with Pokemon R/S before it is finished:
http://www.vgcharts.org/japcomp.php?name1=Brain+Training+2&name2=Pokemon+Ruby+%2F+Sapphire

DS vs GBA hardware:
http://www.vgcharts.org/japconscomps.php?name1=DS&name2=GBA&type=2

Now 3m ahead in the same timeframe and likely to just extend the lead even further in the next 6 months, probably overtaking the GBA LTD in around Feb-March 2007!!!

cvxfreak

neo2046 said:
NEW SMB

week01 899518
week02 334208
week03 244882
week04 200037
week05 170168
week06 154299
week07 134568
week08 119190
week09 145095

It's amazing how it's still above 100K after 9 weeks. It still has the 100K, 80K, 60K, 40K benchmarks to go, too.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
How many more weeks do you guys think NSMB can go while staying over 100k?

Oblivion said:
It's impossible to know. It's like asking how many Big Macs do you think an alien could eat. We have no frame of reference. The answer is a number somewhere between one and infinity.

Bo130

Looked like 10 weeks, if it wasn't for the boost in week 9. I'd say week 13 will be the first below 100k.

Oblivion

Kobun Heat said:
It's impossible to know. It's like asking how many Big Macs do you think an alien could eat. We have no frame of reference. The answer is a number somewhere between one and infinity.

True..

:/

Galactic Fork

A little fluff between the ears never did any harm...
Oblivion said:

I'd say it'll drop in late august. I think it was about to drop this past week if the pink DSL hadn't come out. So I will give it a few more weeks to ride the Pink DSL wave.

Galactic Fork

A little fluff between the ears never did any harm...
MK DS is still getting about 20k a week, if it can hold out till xmas, it might get a nice boost... I wonder if it might make 2 million before it's all over.

Oblivion

Also, why are we still barely on page 2? It's a Media create thread, for god's sakes! It's usually at least on page 4/5 by the time I come home (at 9 PM Pacific standard time).

Top Bottom