• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Supreme Court to rule on healthcare law today [Update: Upheld whole law]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Evlar

Banned
Really, dude, you need to try reading something other than whatever talking points you're being sent. Conservatives/Republicans offered many ideas during the "debate," the most common of which being to let companies sell insurance across state lines, an idea I still don't know why anyone would oppose.

Race to the bottom. Eliminates the ability of the consumer to influence regulation of the industry, since the company they're purchasing from will be subject to the regulations of a state they can't vote in.

Look at the consumer finance industry (credit cards) for an idea of how fantastically bad this idea is.

sflufan

Banned
Next up for American political drama: the debt ceiling and the "fiscal cliff" as a result of the expiration of the Bush tax cuts and the mandatory "sequestration" spending cuts!

Let's get that party started!

marrec

Banned
Next up for American political drama: the debt ceiling and the "fiscal cliff" as a result of the expiration of the Bush tax cuts and the mandatory "sequestration" spending cuts!

Let's get that party started!

Pentagon has been whining for months now that people need to pay attention to the sequestration of the military budget, now maybe someone in congress will.

(Doubt it)

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
SCOTUSBLOG: The court reinforces that
individuals can simply refuse to pay the tax and
not comply with the mandate.

which means IRS can come after you. good luck with that. guess i am working to pay others medical insurance now even more.

Good, welcome to society.

bill0527

To hell with this. They can't make me buy healthcare and they can't make me pay their "tax" because the IRS is an illegitimate organization without a valid constitutional basis.

But the IRS can put you in prison. And forced prison sex is very real.

MajorPain

This.

I'm just glad that we finally get to try out some semblance of a national health care system that covers most people and attempts to fix some of the abuses of the health care industry.

Let's see how this thing works and hopefully make some progress on what is undeniably a hugely important issue.

In the end americans will get screwed. Bigtime medical companies are not going to take a hit on there bottom line and that is the biggest problem with the health care in america.

diffusionx

Gold Member
Obama needs to thank Mitt Romney and his groundbreaking work in MA about 10 times in this speech.

And play it over and over in commercials.

pigeon

Banned
Too much is being made of John Roberts' decision. He didn't rule in Obama's favor because he AGREES with the ACA. He's not ENDORSING obama's plan, he just doesn't think there's a question of constitutionality.

It's a crafty opinion in the best traditions of the SCOTUS, really. The Commerce Clause doesn't allow the government to regulate inactivity...but it's still legal because it's a tax and the government can tax anything it wants to...as long as the taxes are not "obviously designed to regulate behavior" outside federal jurisdiction...and despite it being a tax, the AIA doesn't apply because it's not CALLED a tax, which matters for issues of statute but not for constitutional ones. In other words, it makes the "correct" ruling (since everybody agrees that you could change half a dozen words in the law and it would be constitutional and do the exact same thing, so it's not like Congress just doesn't have the power to do it, they just had a typo) but does so by limiting federal authority, calling on a different and stronger Constitutional power, and asserting that case-by-case judgement is necessary to apply the precedent. Marshall would be proud.

edit:
But the IRS can put you in prison. And forced prison sex is very real.

The IRS explicitly can't prosecute you or put a lien on your assets for not paying the mandate penalty -- it's in the ACA. They can presumably make your life difficult in other ways. If you were expecting a refund, for example, they can garnish as much of that as they want.

Ripclawe

Banned
so wash post has health care calculator to show how the law affects you.. my ppremiums are going up or i pay a 1135 penalty if i refuse ... awesome

Brinbe

It was like "people from both sides of the aisle support universal healthcare, including the other presidential nominee."

Yep, it was along those lines. Not explicit, but we know what we meant. =)

And damn, once again, you can tell how elated he was.

MThanded

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
A perfect commercial for Obama would be thanking Romney for trailblazing healthcare reform.

3msuz.gif

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Hey, I don't follow american politics at all, but does any one know 2 reasonable arguments to be against better public healthcare?

ToxicAdam has the most reasonable stance I've seen so far: this doesn't get us significantly closer to a single-payer system and massively benefits insurance companies in ways that may not play out well for consumers. I somewhat share his apprehensions but think its too early to tell.

Prologue

My stepdad is former military, we FINALLY convinced him that yes, it's okay for him to go to VA for healthcare.

Also whitehouse youtube stream:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6SojEwk_DBg&feature=g-all-lsb

Why would you ever want to willingly take the risk of having to file bankruptcy?

You still have a choice, get healthcare or pay a tax. CHOOSE WISELY

I actually do have insurance. But its my choice to have it and I'm not penazlized by the government by not having it. Obviously not having insurance is just paying russian roulette financially. Its just the whole " get it, or pay a tax" idea. This passed and it pretty much opens the door for laws to have similar provisions. You're delusional if you think this is the last time we'll see these kinds of provisions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom