• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT6| I will not allow you to leave this thread!

Status
Not open for further replies.

JackHerer

Make a new playlist with the MLG settings; no bloom, movement speed, etc. but don't call it MLG and have more maps and some different objectives.

That would be a great playlist and it wouldn't be filled with MLG players and teams of 4 so you could have fun without being outclassed.

Do it.

This would be... awesome.

MLG settings are great but I don't play MLG much because I always get matched up with teams of four and get destroyed and the map selection is way too small.

daedalius

I meant that as bleed through like Halo 3. Not killing someone from a single melee.

My favorite was the fact that Bungie had to do a news post/blog post EXPLAINING how melee worked in Reach...

Why would it make sense to shoot someone more and then melee them, expecting them to die? Oh no, that's not how it works, even if you shot someone 3 times while they ran up to you and they melee you, you're both on even footing now.

It barely makes sense when I try to explain it.

Make a new playlist with the MLG settings; no bloom, movement speed, etc. but don't call it MLG and have more maps and some different objectives.

That would be a great playlist and it wouldn't be filled with MLG players and teams of 4 so you could have fun without being outclassed.

Do it.

This would be great really.

Caja 117

You mean in Reach people who use Bumper Jumper don't rely much on AAs? Because aside from the Jetpack you can use them all perfectly.

Yes, still in bumper jumper AAs take more of a passive role in your gameplay. Not to mention that if the Classic playlist is going to be really a classic Halo, then this button (LT)is going to be useless.

Well from what we hear, grenades play a much smaller role in H4 so I think you BJ nerds will be fine.

That would make sense if the other layouts had nades on X as well, but they don't.

Well from what we hear, grenades play a much smaller role in H4 so I think you BJ nerds will be fine.
They play a smaller role. I think I may have got 4-5 grenade kills playing 10 or so matches.

In Reach I get that many per match.

I noticed that in Halo 4 grenade throwing took more precision partly due to them being less powerful, but also because the toss is different.

Vire

Man, I would give my left nut to play this game right now.

I keep popping in Halo 3 and Reach, but it doesn't scratch that itch...

My favorite was the fact that Bungie had to do a news post/blog post EXPLAINING how melee worked in Reach...

Why would it make sense to shoot someone more and then melee them, expecting them to die? Oh no, that's not how it works, even if you shot someone 3 times while they ran up to you and they melee you, you're both on even footing now.

It barely makes sense when I try to explain it.
Don't bop till ya hear da pop.

Also, I recall several blog posts about melee in Halo 3, as well as a Title Update.

CyReN

Do it.

Might run into issues with no bloom on Oddball/Assault but beside that I wouldn't mind it.

TheOddOne

most companies have no fucking clue what a first impression is. I really don't understand why show any thing that isn't final. All it does is confuse the fan base. Of course the hardcores with be some of the first people to understand. But whatever. That vid I seen at E3 and this is first fucking time I've really heard the audio design... is better than I thought. But this showing off your game when most of it will change is not the way to do it. I with you the dax I really didn't watch shit yesterday. the announcer was a fucking moron. Watching it muted was boring. LEARN 343 fucking release videos of the game with all its information. You think after 4 games they would know how to do it.
Then companies would never show off their game untill release day.

While we're talking about Bumper Jumper, I really hope all AAs can be activated by pressing the button once. Having to hold it makes it useless for Bumper Jumper like the Jetpack in Reach.
I had to hold to activate the Hard Light Shield, so add that to your list of things to not like.

Well, I was looking for a general write-up on everything: weapons, vehicles, movement, gameplay, game modes, etc. That would be awesome. Your opinions on each; I'd love to hear them.

But as for something specific:

Did you get to play on Longbow, and if so, did you have enough experience with the vehicles to determine the relationship between player and vehicle health?
Didn't get to play Longbow; they were only showcasing Regicide FFA on Adrift and Infinity Slayer on Haven.

Being a non-fan of FFA in general, I enjoyed Regicide. I like the melding of two gametypes (Juggernaut and KOTH), and hope it was done in an effort to streamline gametypes/playlists like has been mentioned by 343. I hope that Adrift becomes my least favorite map, because my opinion of it as of now is simply "better than Reach". There are a couple of dead spots on the map that fooled me on more than one occasion into thinking it lead somewhere other than to my death. The insta-spawning worked a lot better than I thought it would, in both FFA and Infinity Slayer. Once I found out how great the Carbine was, I stuck to that loadout for most of my play time.

Haven was a much better map IMO, and I really liked Infinity Slayer. The new radar seems even more informative that Reach's, which may or may not be a good thing. The amount of time it would take you to turn on PV for a good scan of the map seems greater than the time it would take you to just look at the radar.

Movement is really, really great, but I have to admit that I didn't really care for the default controller setup that much(I also didn't realize how much worse I was going to be without my KontrolFreeks, ugh). Crouch on B was just too weird for me, but I'm sure I'll find something I like.

Never used the Thrusters, as I tried to settle in with the Carbine/PP/Holo loadout. Hologram is just as fun as Reach, got an assassination out of fooling someone with it. Plasma Pistol is supremely powerful; I got lots of kills by using it normally. The overcharge sounds like it's gonna explode in your hands, it's awesome. Homing seems about as accurate as it is in Reach.

These are the abilities I used.
-Promethean Vision: Wasn't as overpowered as I thought it would be and was very good on Adrift.
-Thruster Pack: I really like the idea of this ability but when i used it i was a little disappointed on the distance you cover when you use it. You maybe go like 5 feet in the direction you choose. If they buff it up im all for it.
-Hardlight Shield: I didn't use it very much but I liked it. The shield cannot be meleed through from what i saw and can take infinite damage to the front and is reflective bouncing bullets back at the shooter. Splash damage can kill you though easily."
This seems pretty contrary to my experience. I was definitely meleed to death through it when it took enough damage, which I don't believe was "infinite".

Sorry if I'm all over the place; writing this and working is not the best way to spend my time, lol.

Do it.

Honestly, I would prefer this for matchmaking than the actual MLG playlist. Broader appeal, more variety. Team Hardcore.

We only have no bloom in TS/CTF atm for MLG settings, some pros asked awhile back, but at this points just keep it at those and let 343i work on Halo 4.
And King

Havok

You say that as if they didn't do a just as in depth post on how the first Halo 3 autouodate was going to fix H3's busted-ass melee. The difference is that Bungie was willing to patch things back then.

My dream game still has a three hit melee kills with bleedthrough. Everything else is a serious compromise for me in one way or another.

Team Slayer 7100
Super Slayer 494
The Arena 813
Rumble Pit 1593
Living Dead 6985
Team Swat 6008
Team Sniper 2381
Team Objective 487
Doubel Team 1016
Multi Team 1519
Invasion 2002
Big Team Battle 6482
Squad DLC 201
MLG 1478
Action Sack 790
Griffball 2269.

:(

neoism

I like it a lot actually. I like all the stripped down stuff, my problem is that I am wildly outclassed in the matchmade versions of it. Oddly I do well in objective games because I guess I don't play the way they expect, or take the routes they expect.
so what your saying is you play Objective like LukeSmith...

me too.

BigShow36

We only have no bloom in TS/CTF atm for MLG settings, some pros asked awhile back, but at this points just keep it at those and let 343i work on Halo 4.

While it would be awesome to get those settings, we could still make a great playlist out of MLG settings with TS, CTF and KotH.

daedalius

You say that as if they didn't do a just as in depth post on how the first Halo 3 autouodate was going to fix H3's busted-ass melee. The difference is that Bungie was willing to patch things back then.

My dream game still has a three hit melee kills with bleedthrough. Everything else is a serious compromise for me in one way or another.

Halo 2 melee is still best.

Halo 3's was broken in its own special way at launch.

GhaleonEB

This seems pretty contrary to my experience. I was definitely meleed to death through it when it took enough damage, which I don't believe was "infinite".

It appears to absorb damage similar to the stationary plasma shields in the series, flaring from purple to yellow to red as it absorbs damage, before popping.

Thanks for the impressions. The biggest point of excitement for me is movement; it's gotten universal praise, which is a huge relief after Reach.

So I'm doing the Xbox Ambassador thing while I'm at work and answering questions and this one guy just popped in asking about the XboxLiveRewards program and at the end said, 'could you friend me on xbox live?'
'Sorry, but my friends list is full'
'Uhh...BYE'
I had a guy the other day cuss me out because I told him - after finding out that he didn't know his account password to remove parental controls and wouldn't reset it (dude that'll delete my shit. Me: no. It won't) - that he should call 18004myxbox and sorry I couldn't help. Apparently that's worthy of calling me a tool and telling me to frak off.

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
343 should get gaf to design the entire game

the-homer_100310250_s.jpg

would be so cool

heckfu

Banned
Team Slayer 7100
Super Slayer 494
The Arena 813
Rumble Pit 1593
Living Dead 6985
Team Swat 6008
Team Sniper 2381
Team Objective 487
Doubel Team 1016
Multi Team 1519
Invasion 2002
Big Team Battle 6482
Squad DLC 201
MLG 1478
Action Sack 790
Griffball 2269.
Squad Slayer 0

:(

Surely this is wrong, it's a popular playlist!

daedalius

Halo 2's melee's were automatic homing missles from 30 feet away. You didn't even need to see the other person to connect your melee. That was no good.

The lunge being too long doesn't invalidate the actual design in how melee's were thrown.

Jumping+melee did the most damage, brute weapons did more damage, actually took 3 melees to kill if you just ran up and punched someone.

Team Slayer 7100
Super Slayer 494

Can we TU the whole game yet? and get a Team Hardcore list?

Halo 2's melee's were automatic homing missles from 30 feet away. You didn't even need to see the other person to connect your melee. That was no good.

Except for the times when it would miss because of a minor elevation change between you and your target. I always loved that.

GhaleonEB

There were a few of us offering critiques of ODST and Reach before they were released. It was met with people saying you're crazy and too negative. Here's a few from a brief search of the Reach beta thread.

On bloom - http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=21314136&postcount=21298 (RIP Eazy) ((note the term "evolution" from Crunched LOL))
Another on bloom - http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=21046582&postcount=9279
And Sword Base and bloom and random spawns - http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=21046255&postcount=9243

Here's a golden one from Ghaleon - http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=21035120&postcount=8351

Arena and matchmaking - http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=20995833&postcount=4852

Seen it all before. Such is the circle of hype.
I went back and forth during the beta. Here's where I ended at.

GhaleonEB said:
The variables of firing rate, ammo clip size, scope presence and magnification level, damage dealt and innate accuracy are sufficient to balance weapons with. The bloom is not only unnecessary, but makes combat sloppier than it should be. There's an elegance to Halo's combat that is lost with this addition.

Also, the basic player movement - acceleration, momentum - feels sluggish. This can be addressed without impacting player speed - see ODST as a reference. That game felt distinctly Halo, despite similar jump height and movement speed to Reach. Frankly, Reach's basic gameplay just isn't very fun; just running around and jumping used to be a joy in Halo. It's not in Reach.

I still hold those views.

BigShow36

The lunge being too long doesn't invalidate the actual design in how melee's were thrown.

Jumping+melee did the most damage, brute weapons did more damage, actually took 3 melees to kill if you just ran up and punched someone.

True, but in terms of the "melee system" in Halo 2, the lunge was part of the package. I will say that the damage part of Halo 2's melee system is acceptable, but the actual mechanics of the melee system was not.

Vire

343 should get gaf to design the entire game

the-homer_100310250_s.jpg

would be so cool

The problem is, there are so many conflicting opinions on GAF. Not everyone's favorite Halo is the same...

That's why it's cool to have a Beta and get feedback from all sources - Team AR - Team BR - Team DMR. But that ain't gonna happen. :/

daedalius

I went back and forth during the beta. Here's where I ended at.

I still hold those views.

So many bad design decisions in Reach. Ugh.

So I'm pretty excited for the final game, despite my mixed impressions of the Beta itself, because I know Bungie is addressing the bulk of my issues already.

So sad :(

True, but in terms of the "melee system" in Halo 2, the lunge was part of the package. I will say that the damage part of Halo 2's melee system is acceptable, but the actual mechanics of the melee system was not.

Understandable. The lunge was a bit too far; but I did like the mechanics behind the damage in Halo 2 the best.

The problem is, there are so many conflicting opinions on GAF. Not everyone's favorite Halo is the same...

That's why it's cool to have a Beta and get feedback from all sources - Team AR - Team BR - Team DMR. But that ain't gonna happen. :/
Halo resolves team BR, DMR, and AR because you can select your starting weapon. Now it's up to each camp to prove which is better.

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger

Halo's public betas aren't real betas. Hardly anything would have changed and folks might have decided to polarise already strong opinions pre-launch.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom