• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Little Inferno (Goo/Hatsworth devs) Wii U/PC/Mac/Linux, Winter'12, early beta coming

http://tomorrowcorporation.com/littleinferno

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-0TniR3Ghxc

Congratulations on your new Little Inferno Entertainment Fireplace!
Throw your toys into your fire, and play with them as they burn. Stay warm in there. It's getting cold outside!

Burn flaming logs, screaming robots, credit cards, batteries, exploding fish, unstable nuclear devices, and tiny galaxies. An adventure that takes place almost entirely in front of a fireplace - about looking up up up out of the chimney, and the cold world just on the other side of the wall.

Early Access Beta Signup or Pre-Order:

If you're feeling adventurous, and the idea of playing with early builds doesn't totally terrify you, we'd be grateful for your help, suggestions, and feedback. We're trying out a paid beta program, inspired by the dashing Mr. Checker's spyparty, and still figuring out all the details, but here's the rough idea of how it works:

1. Join the paid beta program by pre-ordering with the form down below (which was kindly put together for us by the Humble Bundle guys). The Windows beta versions will be first, since we are developing the game on Windows. You are still welcome to sign up if you require Mac or Linux, but we do not yet know when we will have those versions ready for testing.

2. You'll get immediate access to a small preview of the soundtrack, and eventual access to the final game and all updates upon release. Note that there is not immediate access to a beta build, because #3 ->

3. We'll be rolling out the beta program in small batches, to allow us to pick off the low hanging issues first, and gradually scale up. Seats for the beta batches will be selected in the order in which we receive them, possibly with exceptions for certain hardware, video cards, languages you speak, etc. Once selected, you'll get an email with a secret download link and special further instructions. Depending on the number of signups, we cannot guarantee a beta seat for everyone.

Most importantly, thank you for supporting us at such an early stage without even knowing much about the game yet. Keep an eye on our blog for updates while we finish this up, and we hope you love this weird game as much as we do!

wrowa

Is 2D Boy still working on its own title?

Yeah, I'm a little confused. Apparently only Kyle is working on Little Inferno, but Ron isn't.

So, are the two of them still doing something together or is 2D Boy already dead?

I thought Henry Hatsworth was from Dream Rift. Well I love the work of these guys so count me in on this game.

Kyle Gray, the creator/director of Hatsworth is not part of Dream Rift. But yeah, other key staff from Hatsworth formed Dream Rift.

Kyle Gray is working on this with 2D Boy.

Shiggy

Kyle Gray, the creator/director of Hatsworth is not part of Dream Rift. But yeah, other key staff from Hatsworth formed Dream Rift.

Kyle Gray is working on this with 2D Boy.

I don't think 2D Boy is involved in this. It's just half of the 2D Boy team working on this.

I don't think 2D Boy is involved in this. It's just half of the 2D Boy team working on this.

Er yeah. Forget that they have all these weird company names when it's literally a few people. "Tomorrow Corporation" is what I meant. Which is... Allan Blomquist, Kyle Gabler, and Kyle Gray, apparently.

Ridley327

More surprised at the exclusion of the other two.

Not so surprising when you remember that World of Goo never hit the 360 or PS3. I'm sure the lack of userbase for both Move and Kinect made a port of that game really unlikely for such a small team to commit to.

Trailer looks intriguing, definite World of Goo vibe from the art. Was the Tomorrow Corporation part of Goo? That name sounds familiar but its been awhile since I played that game. Will download on Wii U.

Also, got a 'Log' from Ren & Stimpy vibe from the jingle. Which is also a good thing (better than bad).

Trailer looks intriguing, definite World of Goo vibe from the art. Was the Tomorrow Corporation part of Goo? That name sounds familiar but its been awhile since I played that game. Will download on Wii U.

Also, got a 'Log' from Ren & Stimpy vibe from the jingle. Which is also a good thing (better than bad).

There was "World of Goo Corporation" in World of Goo.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Watched the the trailer, and came back 25 minutes later to say this:

Damn, that song is catchy. Stuck in my head.

V_Ben

Banned
I'd love to know what the game actually is before pre-ordering. That trailer is great, but I have no idea how the game is going to play...

While I liked Henry Hatsworth, that has got to be the dumbest trailer I've seen in a while.

I guess I'll wait for some actual gameplay before I decide whether or not I want to pre-order.

zroid

Banned
Definitely excited for this, but I wish I actually knew something about it! Anyway, the trailer was adorable (and weirdly morbid).

Probably in for the Wii U version.

Looks a lot like World of Goo's art style was transferred over. Which is good!

Doesn't the creator himself draw these guys, and he likes the fact they're a bit crappy?

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
I'm interested. World of Goo and Hatsworth were great.

M3d10n

What's interesting isn't the lack of PS3 and 360 support, since it's probably a very mouse/pointer-dependent concept, it's the lack of iOS/Android. Probably because indie games on those platforms are expected to cost $0.99-$2.99 instead of $15.

zroid

Banned
What's interesting isn't the lack of PS3 and 360 support, since it's probably a very mouse/pointer-dependent concept, it's the lack of iOS/Android. Probably because indie games on those platforms are expected to cost $0.99-$2.99 instead of $15.

I bet it will get an iOS version eventually. World of Goo was quite successful there, right? They're probably waiting because, like you said, they don't want to jump the gun on putting out what will inevitably be the cheapest release simultaneously with the others.

I bet it will get an iOS version eventually. World of Goo was quite successful there, right? They're probably waiting because, like you said, they don't want to jump the gun on putting out what will inevitably be the cheapest release simultaneously with the others.
probably; but even then that may not happen anytime soon, like in a year; probably they understand people will not buy their games if they know a 0.99 version will come in few months

Who is Tomorrow Corporation?

Did 2DBOY rename itself to Tomorrow Corporation?

No. Although, confusion is understandable: Kyle Gabler is a co-founder of both 2DBOY and also Tomorrow Corporation. Allan Blomquist, another co-founder of Tomorrow Corporation, helped 2DBOY bring World of Goo to Wii back in 2008. And Kyle Gray, the remaining co-founder of Tomorrow Corporation, is longtime friends with everyone at 2DBOY.

Does 2DBOY still exist?

Yes indeed! Ron Carmel and Kyle Gabler still run 2DBOY and have not ruled out a follow up, one day, to World of Goo. Ron and Kyle are now neighbors.

Is EA making Little Inferno?

Nope, although all three members have, at some point, also worked with EA. Tomorrow Corporation PR would also like to point out that EA would never make a game like Little Inferno because it “is not likely to ever actually make any money”.

Didn’t all the Henry Hatsworth guys go make a company called Dreamrift?

Kyle Gray led the Hatsworth team at EA. After they finished, all 7 team members went their separate ways: Ryan and Peter started Dreamrift, while Kyle Gray left for Tomorrow Corporation.

Why does Little Inferno look like World of Goo? Is Little Inferno basically just World of Goo with flaming balls?

Little Inferno is, in fact, an entirely different game from World of Goo! Although Kyle Gabler’s art style has never progressed past the 4th grade level. “I can draw a kitty!”

Tuck

:O They don't rule out a sequel to World of Goo.

One day, my sweet. One day.

Has any footage of this game been shown? The style is cool, but I'm confused as to what the game actually is. The trailer was great, especially how they mentioned their world is getting colder (Which I imagine has a large part to play in the story)

Hatsworth is great. World of Goo is decent, but feels repetitive.
I actually thought it was the complete opposite. Maybe I'm alone on this, but I felt World of Goo did a near Mario Galaxy level of renovation from level to level. There were so many new ideas thrown in that game as it progressed I almost felt bad they didn't charge my credit card twice for it.

I actually thought it was the complete opposite. Maybe I'm alone on this, but I felt World of Goo did a near Mario Galaxy level of renovation from level to level. There were so many new ideas thrown in that game as it progressed I almost felt bad they didn't charge my credit card twice for it.

i felt it was kinda short, unfortunately. would've liked to see challenge levels or something

Top Bottom