• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tony Hawk's Pro Skater HD |OT| LIGHTS OUT, GUERILLA RADI... oh (28k)

Still can't buy it. :/ This is a rare situation right? With the demo being up, but purchase not being possible?

Also, I have a feeling the people complaining about this "not feeling right" are probably wrong, because I'm watching Giantbomb's quick look and Jeff has played a lot of Tony Hawk and never once mentions the game not feeling right.

user_nat

THE WORDS! They'll drift away without the _!
I'm sure impressions will better once we can play more than 1 and half minutes.

First time I've seen this not purchasable problem. Certainly wasn't an issue with more popular games like Trials and Minecraft. Kinda weird.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Finding Cole a decent replacement for Bob B, but I'm wondering why he's not in this. Isn't that Tony's like number one bro?

Finding Cole a decent replacement for Bob B, but I'm wondering why he's not in this. Isn't that Tony's like number one bro?

Is this assumed because he used to have the number two slot? Because into the franchise at some point he left to make his own skating game which sucked, and then came back to the THPS series.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Is this assumed because he used to have the number two slot? Because into the franchise at some point he left to make his own skating game which sucked, and then came back to the THPS series.

Koston was in Skate and even had interviews where he was like 'yeah this shits WAY better than tony hawk', and he's in this.

IGN review was good, I know how some people feel about them but its still good to see. I am downloading the trial now but need to go to work soon so ill probably purchase tonight.

S1kkZ

damn, its not even solid 30 fps (judging from the demo), lot of frameskipping.
love the thps games but the demo doesnt click with me, at all. physics, controls, framerate..i really dislike it.

It's strange, because it's still sort of compelling in spite of the state it's in. Shudder to think how it would have been with a little more care.

Demo level is screwing me up though.. I keep thinking it's hanger and trying to go over to the other area. Still think it's a little weird that Warehouse AND Hangar are in..

Card Boy

Banned
Tried the trial. Gameplay is spot on but my biggest concern is content. 7 levels? only 4 modes? 14 music tracks? No create a park? Does the game even have lip tricks at all?

I only got 2100 points, will see how Hybrid is like next month.

It's kinda obvious this is built using Unreal Engine. There is a bit of texture loading right as the level begins. I'm also seeing this flicker in the distance when I turn quickly, usually to the side of the screen. Almost like the game engine can't quite keep up, or it might be that I'm seeing objects flicker through a wall for a split second.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
I bought the game solely based on nostalgia, but I'm enjoying it a lot. Well, that and the fact that I think most the Summer of Arcade titles look pretty bleh this year. Dust might be cool, but I could easily see it being more about looks than gameplay, and I value gameplay over story, looks, etc.

Also I don't think you can flip trick out of lip tricks which is super weird.

30fps is a dissapointment but it still feels right in my book, the controls are responsive and the gameplay is addictive.

As soon as I bale I wanna go again!

30fps is a dissapointment but it still feels right in my book, the controls are responsive and the gameplay is addictive.

As soon as I bale I wanna go again!

agreed. my PC purchase next month is confirmed. until then, this hilarious demo will scratch the itch until it fades to black. fewer levels will probably encourage me to play through with all the skaters as I did on THPS2 and as I never was arsed to do on any of the others :)

bedlamite

Heard Superman 3 times already. I like the song and all, but 3 times in a 20m play session?

Custom soundtrack here I come

Controls are good, but using the analog stick is just wrong. The 360's dpad is mushtastic but it works well enough for this game.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
I have had the game do some short hitches and fuck you robomodo if you can't get that right. The smallest hitch will fuck an entire combo up

EYEL1NER

I figure we won't see a sale until the holidays (though I would would love to be proven wrong and see one sooner!), so I suppose that will be when I get it.

Tried the trial and I am fine waiting. I'll just look for a copy of 2X in the mean time. I'm a huge THPS fan but fuck full-price for this lazy cash-in.

Absolutely loving this, and not just because of the nostalgia. When it first came out I did actually skate and loved it even though I played it 'realistically', not attempting any of the crazy combos and stuff. Now that I'm revisiting it, I'm going after all the challenges and stuff and it nearly feels like a different game. So good!

ksan

Ye... I don't know about this... Was kinda fun, maybe nostalgia...
But it doesn't play well and I was expecting that I would want to finish it right away but I just took a break after completing a couple of goals on a some levels...

Bought it and just finished 100% the first 3 levels.

Warehouse
School II
Hanger

Physics felt odd at first but i soon adjusted. Gameplay is pretty solid, Wallriding is hella hard to pull off, the soundtrack seems really small i heard the same 4 songs over and over and over again.

Lack of single player modes (it seems you ONLY have the main game no free skate or anything unless i missed something) and lack of customization sucks.

I hate the majority of the levels they choose for this and some of the more recent additions to the series such as Revert into Manual and Rail stalling/Hand planting would of been great, it almost feels like its a step backwards in gameplay which is not only jarring but limits your combo potential a great deal.

The should of just taked one of the later engines 3 or 4 and ported the classic maps to them.

I figure we won't see a sale until the holidays (though I would would love to be proven wrong and see one sooner!), so I suppose that will be when I get it.

Tried the trial and I am fine waiting. I'll just look for a copy of 2X in the mean time. I'm a huge THPS fan but fuck full-price for this lazy cash-in.

full price???? its a $15 game, gimme a break.....i know some of you are saying it doesnt feel right, feels fine to me

Top Bottom