• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SAN DIEGO COMIC-CON 2012 OMGWTFBBQ

Status
Not open for further replies.

rCIZZLE

Wow, what an awesome week. First time at SDCC, in california, or even on a plane for that matter. Usually I stick to NYCC but I wanted to try out the big one this year. Bought a lot of comics, a few toys, got a lot of pics with cosplayers, snagged a few free shirts, and went to almost every panel I wanted to attend. After a couple years of failing to get tickets, it's nice knowing we're in the group that is almost guaranteed for 2013. Of course, I'll still be there the second they go on sale to register just to make sure. Probably my only complaint was how small artist alley was and how fucking crowded it was at random autograph booths. My highlight was getting my Chew #1 signed by both John and Rob as they don't go to NYCC.

Panels attended:
Breaking Bad (got pretty damn close)
Expendables 2
Kevin Smith Q&A
Thursday Batman panel
A Fan's Hope documentary screening and Q&A
Dark Horse: Joss Whedon Q&A

The only ones I missed that I was interested in were The Big Bang Theory, Django Unchained, and Firefly reunion. Didn't feel like losing sleep and waiting for several hours to get crappy seats in those so decided to skip. Breaking Bad was my longest wait @ 2 hours.

Where was the meetup thread btw? Couldn't find it before I left so figured there wasn't one.

FFFFUUUU! I have been totally trying to run into Ono, as I've not seen him since the SFxT launch party. I really need to track him down before Comic-Con is over.

I saw him just walking through the crowd in his Blanka Kineda shirt and asked for a pic. Didn't seem like anybody else knew who he was lol.

Is anyone at the Crowne Plaza hotel?

I was there from Tuesday night until this morning. Did you end up running into any other gaffers there?

Amazing con!!! I posted this in the Godzilla thread but thought it would be good here too regarding the lack of video leaks:

I've been going for years and the security was much much higher that year. As soon as clips or trailer came on, many extra security staff including "Secret Service" types with night vision appeared and scanned the crown. They would pull people out if they suspected anything and make them erase any footage. They also had undercover security posing as con goers, complete with the official nerd bags and t-shirts to infiltrate the crowd. It was unreal and people got the message.

BarneyBP

Yes. That guy was haunting the Mondo line. Nightmare fuel.

tumblr_m78s1db22d1qiqd12o1_500.jpg

tumblr_m78s2qE9rv1qiqd12o1_500.jpg

Anybody else see this guy running around on the floor? He would run over to the giant power ranger by the Mondo booth, look up at it and then do a couple of squats before running off again.

So which one of you did it?

gaflegowall.jpg

I was hoping someone would see it before it was taken apart. Me and my cousin made it because he told me he saw NeoGaf on it earlier. It didn't turn out very circular but if you looked at it from the side it looked way better. I'll see if I can post the picture later when I get home.

Eggo

GameFan Alumnus
Disappointing lack of cosplay in this thread. Where dem girls at?

I took 180 pics of SDCC, most of them cosplay, and am thinking of starting a Tumblr cosplay because I have albums full of the stuff on Facebook (from various conventions), but it can't be seen by anyone else if you're not my FB friend. Tumblr seems like a good outlet for other people to view these pics.

rCIZZLE

I don't recall... I want to say it looked like a fighting game championship type t-shirt.

Ya that was me. Says neogaf fighting league on the back with buttons and stick on front. Brought it hoping to meet someone from neogaf in person finally but had didn't realize I'd have my backpack on almost all day. Oh well, it was cool to almost meet you! :p

Ya that was me. Says neogaf fighting league on the back with buttons and stick on front. Brought it hoping to meet someone from neogaf in person finally but had didn't realize I'd have my backpack on almost all day. Oh well, it was cool to almost meet you! :p

Ha. Honestly I wasn't quite sure if it was a gaf shirt because I barely recognized it aside from the colors. Next time I suppose.

Eggo

GameFan Alumnus
Didn't get as many photos as I would've liked due to the crowds, but that's part of the challenge of taking pics at Comic-Con. Here's everything I took from my time at the con, lots of girls included:

San Diego Comic-Con 2012

These pictures are great. Can't wait to check them out when I'm done with work. Lot of work to do this, and a job really well done.

The only GAF I saw at SDCC:

IMG_6672.jpg

And, welcome to NeoGAF:
IMG_6802.jpg

IMG_6800.jpg

Chris Avellone is a cool guy. He made Planescape: Torment and not afraid of anything.

As for the Gamestarter panel itself, they mainly just reiterated heavily that you cannot go into this thinking it is free money, and that you need to figure out your overhead. The very first question was "what distribution platforms are you going to use?", which got a few groans..

warpaint

got back last night

yeah i saw him and it will stay with me forever, but comic con is always full of madness and no time to think but its a whole bunch of fun. I love it and i miss everyone when i'm gone got to stay with mate so the hotel bill was not crazy

Passes for 2013 for people who went this year sold out today in about 35 minutes. At least the 4 day passes are all gone.

In a few months, more passes will be released for the general public, but good luck.

luxsol

bumping to express my anger at the online bullshit process.

4 Day passes already sold out.

Was 21,000something at 8:02 when the registration site stopped timing out. Was at 12k when they sold out.

Still waiting to get any sort of ticket.

What fucking bull.

Two years ago i only managed to get Thursday and Sunday passes (after nearly 20 years of getting full membership) because of the online bullshit.
The last year i had to get up at 5am to stand in line of 15k people to get tickets. Got full membership (minus preview night).

still fucking waiting...

and now it seems to be a replay of 2011 me. Saturday and Friday already sold out.
This is with only people who went to Comic Con 2012 being able to register.

Mikhal

I was #313 in line. Then somehow, I didn't realize I had an extra tab opened and got booted to #11046. Ended up signing a friend and I up for Fri-Sun badges since by the time I get to the front of the line, 4-day badges were gone. Got e-mail confirmation for my friend's badge... but no confirmation for mine! I'd be pissed if my badge confirmation screwed up somehow!

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
They sold out of 4 day passes when I was right at #313 in line, but I just got 2 sets of all four individual days (which last year they converted into four day non-previews at sign up since otherwise you have to wait in line every day). I still don't know why buying all four days individually is cheaper than buying a four day pass.

Mikhal

I wanted a 4-day pass because from my understanding, you can pick the badge up on Wednesday at the Town and Country hotel ahead of time instead of waiting in line on Thursday. Didn't know they merge it up after the fact.

luxsol

I still don't know why buying all four days individually is cheaper than buying a four day pass.
It isn't if you don't get preview night.
$175 Full Membership with preview night.

$42 each day for Thursday-Saturday.
$24 for Sunday.
42+42+42+24= $150.
Same price as Full Membership without preview night.

rCIZZLE

The two buddies I went with this year and I all got our 4 day with preview night passes. Such a relief. Got in at #3620 when it loaded at about 11:00:20.

luxsol

The two buddies I went with this year and I all got our 4 day with preview night passes. Such a relief. Got in at #3620 when it loaded at about 11:00:20.
I really fucking hate this online process.
I kept reloading for 3 minutes (site actually opened at 7:59) and it kept timing out until 8:02.

Now i have to wait until January or February to repeat this bullshit process again.

I honestly don't understand why they can't let you renew when when you're picking up your pass. It'd make things so much easier than this completely random online process.

rCIZZLE

I really fucking hate this online process.
I kept reloading for 3 minutes (site actually opened at 7:59) and it kept timing out until 8:02.

Now i have to wait until January or February to repeat this bullshit process again.

I honestly don't understand why they can't let you renew when when you're picking up your pass. It'd make things so much easier than this completely random online process.

You really have to try and get at least another person doing it with you. One of the guys I'm going with was having the same problems and we were able to grab his. Starting a thread when it comes closer to the next registration might work too if you don't know anybody else irl who is going.

luxsol

New people would like to go too....
Then it would have been like last year.

Last year they were pre-registering a couple thousand people each day. Apparently by Sunday walking up to pre-register at the convention (or rather, the hotel that had the computers to register at) was easy. I got up at 5am on Friday to get my pass last year just to ensure i got my 4 day pass, because when i went on Thursday i got there way too late (7:30am). Didn't get a preview night, could have gone the next day to wait in line line sooner for preview night, but i didn't because i i was satisfied with 4 days.
Then they put passes up to be sold like they normally do to the general public online.

By selling the passes when you pick up your badge (they have to scan and print stuff out), they'd kill two birds with one stone.

And apparently, Full Membership with Preview Night and Full Membership passes were sold out by the time people who were ~1000s waiting in line were able to pay.
So that means SDCC was only selling 3000 4day & 4d+preview night passes today?

ugh. I'm so abusing the system on January or February just to get full membership and then cancel my Thursday and Sunday passes.

rCIZZLE said:
You really have to try and get at least another person doing it with you.
I'm always prepared, but apparently we just have shitty internet connections.
I had someone else doing it with me. He also got Sunday and Thursday.

luxsol

Got my wife and I tix. 4 Day w/Preview! I was #6,840 when I got in the waiting room.
oh man, i know someone is going to be angry (guy who told me he was 1000something and it said 4 day passes were sold out).

Nice to see the online process is fucked up.

rCIZZLE

oh man, i know someone is going to be angry (guy who told me he was 1000something and it said 4 day passes were sold out).

Nice to see the online process is fucked up.

He probably was at that number when they sold out. I agree the online process needs work though but really the only way to make it totally fair would be a lottery.

The thing I hate about comic con as a sd native is its damn impossible to get tickets. I remember the days of just going there and getting a badge on site and being good to go. Now you have to deal with all this online bs *sigh*

DarkFlow

Banned
So this sale was just for people that had passes this year right? I never got a email so I'm hoping it's not the non renewable sales.

I think they sold 50% of the badges today. I hope everyone who is getting tickets at the general sale has good luck. It's gonna be a killer in that "EPIC" waiting room.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom