• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox Live Fall 2012 Dashboard Public Beta - Signup Now

I'd still love to know why they had the Games tab moved when they showed it at E3, but now it's back to it's silly location now.

This is the beta and its main purpose is to find any problems, bugs, etc they may have missed, so it's entirely possible they will shuffle them around in the final release.

At least I hope they will.

bananas

Banned
Interesting. I always thought it was an issue with pulling data from the slow HDD along with flushing the memory used by the game being played. I wonder how they have it loading so fast now.

Not that I'm asking you to do this, but I wonder if it still loads as fast after actually fully loading up a game. I doubt the boot up sequence for a game takes up the full amount of memory, so there may be less to flush out. I'll have to check when I get home.

Played a game of Gears for 5ish minutes, and the game library still loaded right away.

This is the beta and its main purpose is to find any problems, bugs, etc they may have missed, so it's entirely possible they will shuffle them around in the final release.

At least I hope they will.

I'd like to think that, but I have a feeling the major changes are in this beta right now. From here on out I expect it to be just tiny tweaks occurring. I hope I'm wrong though.

Can someone please take a pic of the "My Pins" section? I'm just curious to see what it looks like, and I just want confirmation that you can pin your favorite XBLA games there. :)

Lima

Interesting. I always thought it was an issue with pulling data from the slow HDD along with flushing the memory used by the game being played. I wonder how they have it loading so fast now.

Reason is covers.

If you are offline you only see tiny covers that are saved in the game itself. Now if you are logged into LIVE they would pull the bigger covers every time you enter your game library. This of course takes longer the more games you have.

They now are saving this stuff to main storage (same thing they do with title updates which don't get saved to the cache anymore) so it is always this fast.

This was a much needed change.

OrangeOak

Not that I'm asking you to do this, but I wonder if it still loads as fast after actually fully loading up a game. I doubt the boot up sequence for a game takes up the full amount of memory, so there may be less to flush out. I'll have to check when I get home.

I have tested it.I had loaded Gears 3 and after playing it for a while I quit to dashboard, then tried to load library. It took less than one second.
Trying to acess your storage devices after quiting from the game still takes some time though.

bananas

Banned
I'd like to think that, but I have a feeling the major changes are in this beta right now. From here on out I expect it to be just tiny tweaks occurring. I hope I'm wrong though.

Can someone please take a pic of the "My Pins" section? I'm just curious to see what it looks like, and I just want confirmation that you can pin your favorite XBLA games there. :)

QDkk9.jpg

jagowar

I'm curious to see how much (if any) the music app has changed.... also if the play to functionality is there with win8.

see5harp

Reason is covers.

If you are offline you only see tiny covers that are saved in the game itself. Now if you are logged into LIVE they would pull the bigger covers every time you enter your game library. This of course takes longer the more games you have.

They now are saving this stuff to main storage (same thing they do with title updates which don't get saved to the cache anymore) so it is always this fast.

Damn awesome. Why they downloaded the covers every time always irritated me. Saving updates that way is also a very awesome change, even if an update never took more than 5 seconds.

bananas

Banned
Damn awesome. Why they downloaded the covers every time always irritated me. Saving updates that way is also a very awesome change, even if an update never took more than 5 seconds.

Xbox Originals still don't have covers, which is fucking annoying.

Everything loads sooooo much faster (I've played almost 300 games) and IE works wonderfully. Can't wait to get home from work to play around with it some more this weekend.

In the Uk and I updated about an hour ago.

I didnt think we were allowed to talk about this?

Well, technically yes. We're not supposed to, but so far all people have shared are very basic impressions and pics.

I've said this before. Companies like Microsoft basically don't want you shitting on their product before it's completed. ie, if it has bugs they'd rather not have people starting threads saying the Xbox dashboard is broken, etc.

I don't think you'd ever see them getting upset about people giving positive opinions of the beta.

KageMaru

Played a game of Gears for 5ish minutes, and the game library still loaded right away.

I have tested it.I had loaded Gears 3 and after playing it for a while I quit to dashboard, then tried to load library. It took less than one second.
Trying to acess your storage devices after quiting from the game still takes some time though.

Hey thanks you two, you guys didn't have to do that.

Reason is covers.

I'm never on my 360 when it's offline so I didn't know this. So you think the delay was when data was being pulled over Live? Is there something stored in the HDD that indicates how much space these covers are taking?

That still doesn't explain why there was a delay before the current dash. The library taking time to load has always been an issue IIRC, and only got worse the more content you purchased.

D

Deleted member 13876

Unconfirmed Member
It a public beta and if they do a beta on this scale, it's safe to assume they don't expect everyone to keep quiet about this but at the same time they don't want to really encourage it either. Furthermore the people downloading this for the most part will be the most hardcore audience and they don't want the bad publicity that would come with them banning someone who shared some details about his experience with the beta. If this were a closed beta for something like a multiplayer test for Halo 4 things would be way different however.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
It a public beta and if they do a beta on this scale, it's safe to assume they don't expect everyone to keep quiet about this but at the same time they don't want to really encourage it either. Furthermore the people downloading this for the most part will be the most hardcore audience and they don't want the bad publicity that would come with them banning someone who shared some details about his experience with the beta. If this were a closed beta for something like a multiplayer test for Halo 4 things would be way different however.

I find it funny that Verge posted stuff anyway

U2NUMB

Welp when I get the update which should be today or tomorrow I will really test the list loading situation as I currently have 1002 games listed on my profile. Takes me a minute + to load currently.

It always seems to speed it up after an update but then it slowly goes back to how it was as time goes on.

D

Deleted member 13876

Unconfirmed Member
I wish they'd hit the switch on my account...

I've had the dashboard in standby the past few hours and have occasionally rebooted. The second after I downloaded the key my internet disconnected for a very brief moment so I thought the update had been triggered.

Forsythia

Reason is covers.

This and the pins make this update so worth it. I have a lot of arcade games and it takes way too long to enter the library.

Welp when I get the update which should be today or tomorrow I will really test the list loading situation as I currently have 1002 games listed on my profile. Takes me a minute + to load currently.

It always seems to speed it up after an update but then it slowly goes back to how it was as time goes on.

lol what? There aren't even that many games, are there?

Top Bottom