• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GIF NeoTutorial

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ultimadrago

i5Dlqdkb1QUMW.gif

Futaba .gif?

That's what's hood.

Shadybiz

Oh nice, subscribing for later use; was wondering how to make my own. Too bad I can't see what others are making here at work, so I'll have to check at home.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
8MB! I try to stick to 3 or less.
True, I played around a lot with the length/quality/frames but I wanted something that showed how smooth the effect was and everything in the 3-4mb range was pretty ugly. I'd love any suggestions you might have!

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Well only quick suggestions I could give is cut off the frames towards the end. There's a distinctive jump when he stands up straight. Also crop out the border to make each frame a bit smaller. At that point all you can do is reduce the number of colours and shrink the image. You'll probably want to use noise rather than diffusion to make it even smaller.

I know your intention was to make the animation smooth, but really the best method when you're dealing with images that big is to start cutting out every other frame.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Thanks! Great call cropping the letterboxing. Can you describe the culling you did? Seems slower to me but it could be an illusion.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
I know about that, but its not possible to select a frame then skip a frame and select the next, and so on. The way you listed is good to delete batches of frames I agree.

Example - I want to select frames 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, and more without clicking each frame and the delete button.

Bingo maybe I can create a action to do it for me.
Very late reply but when importing you just hit limit to every 2 frames and it will cull the video for you:

J66nK.png

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
I played both of them side by side and they play at the same speed. Like you said it's probably just an illusion that it is slower.

Fry

Is there a program that does avidemux's job but better? I'm trying to make a high-quality GIF, but after I cut the portion out of the video and save it in a jpg selection, the quality is downgraded.

EYEL1NER

I know he is banned at the moment, but I wanted to say thanks to the OP for posting that method. Just made my first gif ever and I am pleased with how it turned out.

When I first saw the movie, I knew I wanted this part in gif form. So thank a lot!

iYAxJaiRNhuJ2.gif

I'm in the process of deleting all the programs and add-ons I used, because I don't know that I am going to want to create any more gifs anytime soon, but I will keep this thread in mind if I do! The biggest problem I had was with a dumb error on my part trying to post the gif from min.us.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
So I am doing gifs in photoshop. How do I make an object like the deal with it glasses move along with the rest of the gif?
I know this is late, but anywho.
  1. Position the object you want to move in its starting position in frame one and its ending position in the final frame.
  2. Select the frame where the animation will occur.
  3. From the animation sub menu (top right hand corner of animation window) select 'Tween...'
  4. Play around with the settings. You'll most likely want 'Selected layer' and 'Position' selected.
  5. Done
This is for simple movement like the "Deal with it" glasses moving downwards. If it is more complicated like placing another face on another one then you'll just have to move it manually on each frame. Remember that position, opacity and layer effects can vary between frames but size doesn't.

Orayn

Thanks for this! After not being happy with the results from a Paint.NET plugin, I found this thread and haven't looked back.

iYX84D2lxZU7P.gif

Orayn

Waiting for a die to stop spinning/rolling.

iLzlhYPCTIz3J.gif

Dang, it's hard to keep the file size down when you have a lot of frames.

Tokubetsu

So for some reason gifs i make in PS vs JASC are much slower. Quality aside, compare the speed:
https://i.minus.com/ibrFV30LjnmnfQ.gif
https://i.minus.com/ibkwN816yRS1Ov.gif

With JASC I follow instructions in the op (culling and frame properties change)
With PS I import files in stack, default speed is always listed at 0.00 secs and I don't fuck with it. I also delete every other frame manually before importing.
Help. I'd prefer using PS but I can't seem to get gifs to come out normal speed using this method.

clip

I've been trying to use the GIF function in Virtual Dub, but my outputs appear with lot's of corruption like so:

7599881576_695ef93c2b_o.png

Any ideas?

SamuraiX-

Just made one myself that I've been looking for around the web for a while but could never find it. :p

iGSYFaFJQLryh.gif

400x225
127 colors.
No culling.
~3.8MB

Any recommendations to get it closer to 3MB without decreasing the resolution? I really don't want to do any culling on it because the clip is only like 80 frames as it is.

wallbreaktbdlg.gif

gunthrowfejix.gif

I just made these using the capture avi method through videodub. Any tips to make them smoother? Is it because of the quality of the video? Also are they good?

Jitters

This thread is safe to bump, I hope.

Anyway, I have a question. How do you guys get the gifs to look so clear? I've been making gifs for sometime ,but they always look grainy because they can't have more than 256 colors. Yet some of the gifs in here are beautiful. I use both the method in the op and gimp. Both give the same results. Am I doing something wrong or is that kind of quality only coming from photoshop?

wwlnd

Banned
This thread is safe to bump, I hope.

Anyway, I have a question. How do you guys get the gifs to look so clear? I've been making gifs for sometime ,but they always look grainy because they can't have more than 256 colors. Yet some of the gifs in here are beautiful. I use both the method in the op and gimp. Both give the same results. Am I doing something wrong or is that kind of quality only coming from photoshop?

Don't know about JASC but the dithering in phososhop is infinitely better than GIMP.

Jitters

Dithering in gimp does make it look a little better (not even sure how to do it in JASC). It must be pretty good in PS because some of these look exactly like the video.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Just made one myself that I've been looking for around the web for a while but could never find it. :p

iGSYFaFJQLryh.gif

400x225
127 colors.
No culling.
~3.8MB

Any recommendations to get it closer to 3MB without decreasing the resolution? I really don't want to do any culling on it because the clip is only like 80 frames as it is.

Either reduce the number of colour or change the dithering option.

Or if you want to keep the same quality you can try using this [post=39934808]method[/post]. Though for live action that could be quite tricky.

Though there appears to be a pixel wide border on both sides. You could crop those out as well.

Omzz

Just made some gifs from the tv show Suits

ibef6XyHRBGAZu.gif

i5B1aUDwFSjIh.gif

Followed the steps until the 3/100 part. It got sped up when I did that option and had to change the setting to 4 or 5. Pretty much used trial and error to see which one was more accurate to real time.

Of course I don't want to do it like that, so any tips?

Fry

Just made some gifs from the tv show Suits

ibef6XyHRBGAZu.gif

i5B1aUDwFSjIh.gif

Followed the steps until the 3/100 part. It got sped up when I did that option and had to change the setting to 4 or 5. Pretty much used trial and error to see which one was more accurate to real time.

Of course I don't want to do it like that, so any tips?

It's like that with me. Some gifs will work better with 3/100, others 4/100.

Godslay

Banned
I use an slightly alternate method to capture things happening on the screen, rather than using extensions.

I use bandicam which is free. The only downside to this is that it includes a watermark at the top such as this.

In order to get around this, I set the capture area to be slightly larger than the area I want to capture. This results in a 'croppable' area above it. This is an example with an area slightly above that we are going to crop off later.

From this point I will open up the file that bandicam outputs in Avidemux. The watermark will still be there. This is fine. Edit your video down to what you desire, then save it as 'Save Selection as Jpegs'.

Now you want to open up Jasc, and open the animation wizard (Shift + A).

Now it will ask you to for the size of the image. This is the tricky part. You will have to determine what size to make the height in order to remove the watermark. It may take opening and retrying smaller sizes until you find the right size.

Once you find the right size hit next, and select 'Opaque'. Hit next.
Now you will want to select the option 'Centered in the frame' and 'With Canvas color' continue to hit next, and find the directory where your jpegs are. Select all of the jpegs (Highlight one and press ctrl + a typically works), and then hit next and finish. Your animation will open up and you will be able to manipulate it like in the op.

You can now capture directly from the screen rather than dealing with extensions.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
Works fine for me. The dev is usually on top of updating it. So if they changed something, expect an update to fix the issue.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
there's a temp fix until the next update (should be any day now)
http://userscripts.org/topics/116427

At line 970 in the YousableTubeFix script, you'll find the following code:

Code:
// Extracts the video format index and its download URL
var fStreamIdx = VideoAdapter.getFlashVarGen(fStream, "itag"), fStreamUrl = VideoAdapter.getFlashVarGen(fStream, "url");
if ((fStreamIdx === null) || (fStreamUrl === null)) return;

// Adds the extracted information to streamInfo
streamInfo.setItem(fStreamIdx, {"dUrl": fStreamUrl});
Replace it by this:

Code:
// Extracts the video format index and its download URL
var fStreamIdx = VideoAdapter.getFlashVarGen(fStream, "itag");
var fStreamUrl = VideoAdapter.getFlashVarGen(fStream, "url");
var fStreamSig = VideoAdapter.getFlashVarGen(fStream, "sig");
if ((fStreamIdx === null) || (fStreamUrl === null) || (fStreamSig === null)) return;

// Adds the extracted information to streamInfo
streamInfo.setItem(fStreamIdx, {"dUrl": fStreamUrl + "&signature=" + fStreamSig});

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom