• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT7| You may leave, Juices. And take Team Downer with you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
SLRP

http://i.imgur.com/vUXUv.gif[IMG][/QUOTE]
A friend of mine -- who I'm [I]pretty sure[/I] doesn't read HaloGAF -- just sent me that GIF on Facebook. Like, exact same imgur link and everything. WTF!

Akai__

Have I missed something in the last ~ 30 pages? I read the Bulletin and I read the IGN post about specilizations. Something else I should know?

Had so much to do, like throwing a mini LAN, and couldn't keep up with HaloGAF.

Gazzawa

Ryan you scrub

Why are you playing H3 camp. on easy?

edit: Just answered my own question.

prolly cuzza dis
cortana_3.jpg

TheOddOne

I noticed this in the trailer: The script show during the video has characters names, I can make out "DeMarco", "Grant", "Thorne" and "Noya".

From what I can make out is that this scene happens after they have crash landed on Requiem.

Shadders

I noticed this in the trailer: The script show during the video has characters names, I can make out "DeMarco", "Grant", "Thorne" and "Noya".

From what I can make out is that this scene happens after they have crash landed on Requiem.

There have been a couple of spoilers come out of that script. Viewer discretion is advised.

New AA icons are nice.

http://i.minus.com/i9ypvmX4f7M9C.png[/][img]http://i.minus.com/ibewkxdJogv30m.png[img][img]http://i.minus.com/ib1DS2zvINxIvY.png[img]

So much Hologram in the UNSC Armory video. Odd, it's probably the [i]least[/i] used AA in Reach, lol.[/QUOTE]

I can see it being useful now, coupled with sprint.

m23

hero_1_v3i03_en.jpg

Got this in my email, Halo 4 War Games will be at the EB Games Booth at Fanexpo.....I was thinking it would be a the Xbox Booth. So I guess no Spartan Ops.

Also for us racing fans, Forza Horizon will be playable at the LG Booth.

hero_1_v3i03_en.jpg

Got this in my email, Halo 4 War Games will be at the EB Games Booth at Fanexpo.....I was thinking it would be a the Xbox Booth. So I guess no Spartan Ops.

Also for us racing fans, Forza Horizon will be playable at the LG Booth.
Going to try to hit this up Thursday.

Check this out: Halo 4 LE
Is that a unique ID, or does it mean something?
Well, 343... another monitor?

The problem is that all monitors up to this point have been identified by a mathematical formula involving the installation number. And if there was a secret 8th installation, its monitor would be 823543.

But then, we know that monitors have other uses, and it makes perfect sense that we'd bump in to one, so I can still buy in to the idea. It would also seem probable that 343(!) would want to echo their name in the trilogy, somehow.

The problem is that all monitors up to this point have been identified by a mathematical formula involving the installation number. And if there was a secret 8th installation, its monitor would be 823543.

But then, we know that monitors have other uses, and it makes perfect sense that we'd bump in to one, so I can still buy in to the idea. It would also seem probable that 343(!) would want to echo their name in the trilogy, somehow.
I(n) = 7^(n-1)
l(1) = 1
I(2) = 7
I(3) = 49 (Abject Testament)
I(4) = 343 (Guilty Spark)
l(5) = 2401 (Penitent Tangent)
I(6) = 16807
I(7) = 117649

No 634343.

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
Hey Frankie I received this and was asked nicely to pass it along.

Being a hardcore Halo fan, I am excited to see that there is going to be a
live-action version of halo. I saw the original 9 minutes in the other
scrapped project, but this rises above it by... a lot. Two things you may
want to pass on to the actors, and this knowledge is based off of the fact
that I am in a program called NJROTC. This is a fancy acronym for Navy
Junior Reserve Officers Training Corps.

When I was watching the trailer, I noticed that one soldier said "Just
another causality, sir." His commanding officer, whom he is talking to, is
female, and therefore should be addressed as Ma'am.

I have not seen this yet, but another pet peeve of mine is in some movies,
when soldiers are standing at attention, their arms and hands are straight.
The proper way to stand at attention is to have your hands in a fist and
your arms bent backwards. Your thumb should go along there the side seam
would be on dress pants (this is farther back than you think). Your feet
should be at a 45 degree angle.

If you could send these points on to whoever is in charge of the actors,
this would be appreciated. Also, if he has any more questions on drill or
other American Military regulations, have him/her contact me at [redacted] @
gmail. com.

Thanks,

[Redacted]

And this too.

My name is [Redacted], and I'm an independent film maker. I was wanting to
find out who made the Spartan armor for the series and how much it
costs. I'm working on my own HALO based project, and I need high
quality Spartan armor, so any help I could get would be awesome.
Thanks for reading, and I can't wait to see the series!

:)

While statements like that do get me excited to play the game because that hints at the direction they're going in – experiencing huge and mysterious alien worlds – ultimately any attempt to repilcate or recapture the feeling you had when you first stepped on the Halo ring in Halo: CE will fail I believe. And there's a reason for that: It can't be replicated. That first time you had never experienced anything like a Halo before; it was all so new and fresh.

It's good to look at that feeling for inspiration, but the best one can do in "recapturing/replicating" that feeling is a unique take on the same theme. I hope 343 is going more that route, because the other will lead to disappointment.

Part of this is the fans' fault. A lot of people look forward to the next Halo game hoping it will be another Halo: CE in that it'll replicate that feeling they had when first played the game. People should realize it's a different game with its own take on the universe. You'll be more satisfied with the final product.
The problem is the fiction. The most of us know a Shield World already. We can safely assume what will await us. But for people who only played the FPS Halos, I think 343i can recapture the feeling for them pretty well.

Check this out: Halo 4 LE
Is that a unique ID, or does it mean something?
No. If it were a unique ID, I think Microsoft or 343i will advertise the edition with "numbered Edition" or something.

Do not overthink it. The edition illustrates a UNSC briefing case. Of course there is definitely a fictional background behind the number but I do not expect any connection to a forerunner monitor. Especially since we know that 343Industries love the number 343.

Btw. you did not read Halo: Primordium?

The problem is the fiction. The most of us know a Shield World already. We can safely assume what will await us. But for people who only played the FPS Halos, I think 343i can recapture the feeling for them pretty well.

I don't think the problem is the fiction. Even if you're only looking at people who play the games, there's still not enough newness to recapture that feeling players had when stepping out of the bumble bee pod for the first time. You've experienced the Chief and Cortana before, you've seen the UNSC, and you've seen the Covenant. What did you do in Halo: CE? Fight on an alien world that perfectly blended Forerunner structures with natural environments. What will we do in Halo 4? Fight on an alien world that'll perfectly blend Forerunner structures with natural environments.

You can only recapture that feeling – and even saying that is a bit misleading, because it won't be that exact feeling because you won't be playing Halo: CE for the first time – if it's someone who's never played a Halo game before.

In sum: Good for inspiration, not so good to chase after.

Edit: This is all why it needs to be a different take on the same theme, and 343 does seem to be going in this direction. Remember, during one of the first reveals 343 kept talking about how we've never seen "living" Forerunner structures. The phrasing "living" can mean many different things – and offer many exciting possibilities – and will hopefully yield a comparable, but unavoidably different, feeling. Because that feeling can never be precisely replicated.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Need to start planning my play-through of all the games. Reach, Anniversary, 2, ODST, 3.

That's the correct timeline right? When does Wars take place? Before 3?

Tawpgun

Weird thing, on the anniversary playthrough.

I found the hallways and interior of AOTCR more repetitive than the library level.
Now that I think about it I feel the same way.
It would be cool of missions in Halo 4 had more variety. Like cool mechanics such as optional objectives, timed segments, something more than just hitting buttons, holdouts, and vehicular missions.

"Bring back 1-50!"

343 Industries: "Ok!"

Introduces 1-50 experience counter.

Masterful troll.

The best part is that most people won't notice a difference.

It makes sense to use numbers to designate EXP level, since it is so easily comparable, without any knowledge of the game. A man off the street couldn't tell you a Nova is higher than a Mythic.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
I'm just wondering what the yellow flavor is, and if there is some kind of double XP thing.

Looks like Halo beat CoD at GameFuel promotions this year too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom