• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kirby's Dream Collection Special Edition (Wii) coming in September

I wasn't sure if I should post this in the community Kirby thread, but I figure with the hour long preview, I will just put my impressions here.

I just got the Kirby collection yesterday and put about 3 hours into it, and maaaaaan, it is a great collection. Completely blows the Mario collection out of the water. The intro and UI stuff is just great. Getting into the history was a ton of fun. There is videos EVERY SINGLE KIRBY GAME ever released! I spend at least 30 minutes just digging through the videos and manga. Though, the manga is disappointing because they have only one chapter from three different books rather than the whole books. Also, when you look at a game in the history, it actually plays a track from the game, such amazing polish. It also lists actual historical events in the history timeline (now you can associate when Ichiro became the MVP with Kirby) which is odd, but funny in a way.

The games themselves work pretty much like VC games, except that you have to press special button combination to get rid of the border and/or reset the game (which you have to do for Kirby 1 GB since when you beat the game, it is stuck on the "How to access the extra mode" screen). They save both progress, and makes a temporary save state when you leave the game. Unfortunately, you have to reset the game through the home menu in order to go back to the game selection screen, but it skips the intro when you do that, so it functions pretty much fine.

Also, I may be crazy, but I feel like Kirby 3 actually looks better than the VC release, that might just be my enthusiasm for this collection bleeding through though.

The special challenges are also pretty fun, it makes me want to check out that Wii kirby game, which I never did before, so that's good.

The music CD is AMAZING! I don't know if the tracks are out there yet, but it has 43 tracks from all the Kirby games! It is such a pleasure to listen to this. Though my only complaint would be that it has that gourmet race theme like three times (could've been replaced by others tracks!) but other than that, utterly fantastic. I never realized how good the Kirby Canvas Curse OST was! The book is cool too, especially with all the old sketches of kirby characters and old ads and such. Doesn't give the stranger games the attention I think they deserve, but it is great, especially compared to the Mario collection one (which was okay, but not nearly what I thought Mario deserved)

Overall, a complete must buy for a Kirby fan. I would even go as far as a good purchase for those people who haven't played 2-3 of the games. Such a fun, polished love letter to Kirby.

@MUWANdo

Banned
Do we know exactly how many challenge stages there are yet? I've read different numbers all over the place. Here are the ones I've seen for myself:

Sword
Parasol
Spark
(vs Magolor)

Wing
Fighter
Whip
(vs Magolor EX)

Smash (miniboss gauntlet ending with Whispy Woods)

M-PG71C

I'm glad they saved their best effort for their best franchise: Kirby. Day fucking one for me!

The last couple of years has been amazing for Kirby console titles, Epic Yarn and Return to Dreamland have been fucking awesome. Make a Wii U one damnit! And a 3DS one!

I NEED MOAR KIRBY!

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
A shame and I really don't understand NoE here - this collection would be a 0 effort endeavor, wouldn't it? What's there to lose?

Octagon

Just had the game delivered.
Unfortunately it is not booting up
using gecko
which is somehow a good thing since i have a lot of studying to do.
it still bugs me though.

@MUWANdo

Banned
You've gotta set the system language to Japanese, IIRC.

If/when you get it working, be sure to come back and list all the challenge stages for us!

Teknoman

Do we know exactly how many challenge stages there are yet? I've read different numbers all over the place. Here are the ones I've seen for myself:

Sword
Parasol
Spark
(vs Magolor)

Wing
Fighter
Whip
(vs Magolor EX)

Smash (miniboss gauntlet ending with Whispy Woods)

So glad Magalor vs battles are in, especially since everyone should get to experience how awesome the themes are.

missfuuchan

Neo Member
I've been paying through Challenge mode this afternoon - the stages are:

Level 1: Happiness Hall
Sword Challenge
Parasol Challenge
Beam Challenge
VS. Magolor (these stages play like the old Gourmet Race stages)

Level 2: Apricot Apartments
Whip Challenge
Fighter Challenge
Bird Challenge
VS. Magolor

Level 3: Last Land
Smash Challenge (against lots of enemies, Kirby has his Smash Bros Moveset)
Normal Challenge (No power absorption like Dream Land GB - but with super suck ability)
VS. Magolor

Then the credits roll - (with really awesome Kirby's Dream Land credits remix)

Aft the credits, two extra levels open up:
Smash Challenge EX (Similar to first challenge, but against the Kirby mini-bosses - Bonkers etc.)
VS. Magolor EX (Harder Gourmet Race style stage)

I really hope that the game comes out here in Europe - I'd happily double dip - its a really well polished collection, and the soundtrack is a brilliant extra :)

Octagon

Do you have a japanese wii missfuuchan?
it has really started to bug me that the game isn't working for me.
I was wonder if the game has metafortress protection just like Kirby's Return to Dreamland has.

missfuuchan

Neo Member
Do you have a japanese wii missfuuchan?
it has really started to bug me that the game isn't working for me.
I was wonder if the game has metafortress protection just like Kirby's Return to Dreamland has.

A Japanese wii I'm afraid - I'm not sure what the protection is like on it :(

Kazerei

Banned
Thanks missfuuchan. I was hoping challenge mode would have more content than that, but oh well. 6 games in 1 is already a great deal.

@MUWANdo

Banned
I've been paying through Challenge mode this afternoon - the stages are:

Level 1: Happiness Hall
Sword Challenge
Parasol Challenge
Beam Challenge
VS. Magolor (these stages play like the old Gourmet Race stages)

Level 2: Apricot Apartments
Whip Challenge
Fighter Challenge
Bird Challenge
VS. Magolor

Level 3: Last Land
Smash Challenge (against lots of enemies, Kirby has his Smash Bros Moveset)
Normal Challenge (No power absorption like Dream Land GB - but with super suck ability)
VS. Magolor

Then the credits roll - (with really awesome Kirby's Dream Land credits remix)

Aft the credits, two extra levels open up:
Smash Challenge EX (Similar to first challenge, but against the Kirby mini-bosses - Bonkers etc.)
VS. Magolor EX (Harder Gourmet Race style stage)

I really hope that the game comes out here in Europe - I'd happily double dip - its a really well polished collection, and the soundtrack is a brilliant extra :)

Thanks for this, it's much appreciated!

hiro4

I got an official statement from Nintendo Germany:

They don't know if it will see a release in Europe.

I have a very very sad face now.
For all that NoE did right the last year they are really dropping the ball here.

Well I guess I should look for a us version then.

Shiggy

I don't have numbers for PAL regions, but Kirby's Adventure Wii is one of the best selling game in Italy this year.

Historically Kirby games sold pretty badly in Europe, that's why NoE doesn't care much about them and releases them years after other territories received them. If this is not seeing a release in Europe, it's certainly indicating low sales of recent Kirby games.

That Italian performance is pretty surprising imo. E.g. Kirby Mass Attack had a shipment of 20000 in France, whereas Kirby's Adventure Wii had a 40000 shipment. I don't remember seeing any recent Kirby titles in the charts of other European countries. I still remember joking about NoE hating Kirby when the two Kirby games failed to appear on the carts last year. But well, both DS and Wii were dead when the games launched.

randomkid

Were the date and price info posted earlier? Couldn't find another thread or post about it.

$40, September 16, according to Newegg and Target and Gamestop. Amazon is the only place that doesn't have it up for pre-order, people at CAG are speculating that it's because of Amazon and Nintendo's current beef heh.

Kazerei

Banned
Were the date and price info posted earlier? Couldn't find another thread or post about it.

$40, September 16, according to Newegg and Target and Gamestop. Amazon is the only place that doesn't have it up for pre-order, people at CAG are speculating that it's because of Amazon and Nintendo's current beef heh.

Walmart also has it listed at $40. Thankyou NOA, for not gouging us :)

Intend-to-Buy survey is up on Club Nintendo, by the way.

Since nobody's claimed the OT, I'll do it.

Credo

Does anyone know if it's ever going to be possible to pre-order this from Amazon? I noticed that you can already pre-order it from Wal Mart, Target, Best Buy, and Toys 'R Us, but I'd prefer to pre-order it from Amazon.

@MUWANdo

Banned
Wait. This is $39.99? I thought it would be $20 or $30.

$40 is roughly the same price as buying all the VC games individually, but you get the CD and all the extra challenge stages and other junk on top of that, so it's actually pretty reasonable. Unlike the Mario collection, this one's actually had some effort put into it.

Het_Nkik

$40 is roughly the same price as buying all the VC games individually, but you get the CD and all the extra challenge stages and other junk on top of that, so it's actually pretty reasonable. Unlike the Mario collection, this one's actually had some effort put into it.

I have a theory that it's because Iwata worked on some Kirby games.

@MUWANdo

Banned
Yeah, it's a mixture of that and the fact that the Mario collection was a NOA initiative, and it probably doesn't hurt that HAL needed to get a bit more mileage out of the Kirby game they spent eleven goddamn years making.

Slermy

MyEpitomeCliché;41303168 said:
Tempting. But I think I'll stick with my plan to go to Best Buy at opening to snag a copy in the best possible condition. Didn't a lot of people receive crushed copies of the Mario Anniversary set from Amazon?

My Mario Anniversary collection arrived just fine, but my Last Story was sent in a Bubble Mailer. It arrived in okay shape, though there is a subtle crease along the front. >:0

Which of the Kirby games in this collection can be played in co-op? My girlfriend doesn't play a lot of games but she will play platformers with me so was just curious if there were any games on here we could enjoy together. Loved playing through the 2 Wii games together.

CuboidFX

Banned
Kirby Superstar and Dreamland 3 have co-op as far as I know. Kirby 64 has some two-player also but it think it might be a versus mode.

Kirby Superstar and Dreamland 3 have co-op as far as I know. Kirby 64 has some two-player also but it think it might be a versus mode.

Thanks, for the info! May have to pick it up and regardless even if all the games don't have co-op, I've only ever played the NES game and both the Wii games.

Seda

http://kirby.nintendo.com/dreamcollection/

Site was updated, also this for PAX:

NINTENDO TO CELEBRATE KIRBY’S 20th ANNIVERSARY
WITH GUINNESS WORLD RECORDS ATTEMPT

Fans at PAX Prime Conference in Seattle Aim to Honor Pink Video Game Icon with New Record for Most People Blowing a Chewing Gum Bubble Simultaneously

WHAT: Fans of Nintendo’s classic Kirby™ character will come together for a new Guinness World Records® attempt for the most people blowing a chewing gum bubble simultaneously. At the PAX Prime conference on Sept. 1, these consumers will not only attempt to break the standing record of 304 participants but will also get the chance to win fun prizes, including Kirby’s Dream Collection: Special Edition. The event will help to commemorate the 20th anniversary of the Kirby franchise and celebrate the upcoming Sept. 16 launch of Kirby’s Dream Collection: Special Edition for Wii.

For two decades, the unique-looking pink hero known as Kirby has been inhaling his way through Dream Land and into the hearts of video game fans everywhere. While he may be pink, round and adorable, he’s also a ferocious warrior who defeats his enemies by inhaling objects and spitting them back out with incredible force, making him one of the most recognizable and beloved game characters in the world.

Kirby’s Dream Collection: Special Edition features six fan-favorite games from the Kirby franchise on one disc, plus additional challenge stages, a commemorative booklet, a music CD and an interactive timeline that gives players a fun way to explore Kirby's colorful history. For more information about this special edition, visit http://kirby.nintendo.com/dreamcollection.

WHO: PAX Prime attendees, video game fans and Kirby fans of all ages

WHEN: Saturday, Sept. 1, 2012
Event time: 2-3 p.m. Pacific Time
Check in: 1 p.m. Pacific Time

WHERE: PAX Prime Conference
Washington State Convention Center
Expo Hall Queue Area
Level 4, Room 4A
800 Convention Place
Seattle, WA 98101

NOTE: Participants must have a PAX badge to attend the event. If you are a member of the media and do not have PAX press credentials, please contact Grace Chang at grace.chang@golinharris.com.

VISUALS:
  • Hundreds of fans in pink Kirby T-shirts attempting a world bubblegum-blowing record
  • Kirby costumed character interacting with fans
  • Guinness World Records adjudicator overseeing the record attempt
  • B-roll and photos available

http://press.nintendo.com/docs/2012/ALERT_KDC_PAX_FINAL.pdf

Top Bottom