• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U Community Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stewox

Banned
Which is why the only lift I made from the piece was the pretty specific statement that the Wii U had a lot more RAM than the 360 and PS3, which has been speculated but never confirmed by a named developer to this point (AFAIK).

I think so

I hope OS doesn't really take as much, 1GB feels kind of crappy considering that's just 512 MB more than current gen.

DrWong

So I was watching this Zombi U video (in French) from Gamescom and the dev' is saying (don't know if it has already been pointed here) that the game will be much more longer than what they were initially tartgeting (a 7h/8h campaign). He thinks that the game offers now a 15h/20h campaign (depending players skills), with 17 levels which "are bigger" than what he's demoing in this vid.

Other stuff from this vid.:

- 5 "specials" zombies (more skilled) without counting the bosses
- The messages/notifications we can see in the game come from the comunity/other players (demoed at 14: 16)
- There're 4 npc characters in the campaign who'll be the story drivers.

Sheroking

Tons of ps360 games looks better than nintendo land,the opening looks nice but nothing special really here's an example http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g1xh90drTyw

Well, I'm sure nothing we've seen on the Wii U has had the budget, development time or engine work that something like God of War has had, but that really hasn't stopped people from noticing truly impressive fidelity and effects.

The lighting in Nintendo Land, the depth of field in Pikmin 3, etc. These are the types of things that are done well in few games, and I'm certain that's less about the hardware and more about Nintendo being the best at polishing their product.

D-e-f-

Banned
... what? 30 yards is 90 feet. Just like 1 kilometer is 1000 meters. I don't get the joke.

1000 meters = 1 [kilo]meter (kilo = thousand)
-> easy, simple to understand system

90 feet = 30 yards
-> what is a foot and why is it something different in yards and why do yards exist if they're basically the same thing as meters (1yd = 0.9xxx meters as far as I know). why aren't 90 feet something like 900 toes or 9 superfeet ... makes way more sense! (or just go with meters!) ... and then there are inches and galons and all that weird jazz. *head hurts*

Sid

Well, I'm sure nothing we've seen on the Wii U has had the budget, development time or engine work that something like God of War has had, but that really hasn't stopped people from noticing truly impressive fidelity and effects.

The lighting in Nintendo Land, the depth of field in Pikmin 3, etc. These are the types of things that are done well in few games, and I'm certain that's less about the hardware and more about Nintendo being the best at polishing their product.
Ofc but as for the question of ps360 games looking better than nintendo land,there really are plenty,which is what i was replying to

tkscz

Ofc but as for the question of ps360 games looking better than nintendo land,there really are plenty,which is what i was replying to

Except that wasn't my question. I meant the lighting and nothing else.

90 feet = 30 yards
-> what is a foot and why is it something different in yards and why do yards exist if they're basically the same thing as meters (1yd = 0.9xxx meters as far as I know). why aren't 90 feet something like 900 toes or 9 superfeet ... makes way more sense! (or just go with meters!) ... and then there are inches and galons and all that weird jazz. *head hurts*

It's something we are raised with and understand. It goes from inches, to feet, to yards, to miles. 12 inches = a foot. 3 feet = 1 yard (which is roughly a meter). 1760 yards = 1 mile.

Like with meters, you can keep measuring something in centimeters, but it would be easier if you moved up at some point. Though ours is more confusing when converting, it's easier to read (rather than reading I'm 156 CM, it's easier to read 5 feet 6 inches).

axisofweevils

Holy crap! Today's real megaton is that more than two people can have the same first name.
Positive Wii U news incoming.....

Wii U Specs ‘Are Surprising’ Says Sonic Racing Developers

Steve Lycett, executive producer at Sumo Digital has admitted that he surprised by the specifications of Wii U, especially the GPU and memory which are better than the developers had expected. Lycett then went on the say that Wii U has way more memory than other consoles on the market, so they can then take advantage of that with less compression on elements and textures.

“There are always surprises and unexpected challenges when you develop on a new console. When we first got our hands on the kit, the first surprise was the capability of the GPU (Graphics Processing Unit). We’d been worried that we might need to re-engineer all the effects and shaders in the game, but they worked just fine.”

“The Wii U looks as good as any of the HD platforms. The Wii U has way more memory, so we can take advantage of that with less compression on elements and textures, so it will look all lovely and shiny.”

http://mynintendonews.com/2012/08/24/wii-u-specs-are-surprising-says-sonic-racing-developers/

D-e-f-

Banned

It's something we are raised with and understand. It goes from inches, to feet, to yards, to miles. 12 inches = a foot. 3 feet = 1 yard (which is roughly a meter). 1760 yards = 1 mile.

Like with meters, you can keep measuring something in centimeters, but it would be easier if you moved up at some point. Though ours is more confusing when converting, it's easier to read (rather than reading I'm 156 CM, it's easier to read 5 feet 6 inches).

Sure, if you're brought up with something it's always pretty easy to grasp. It's just terribly irritating if you haven't and must convert it in your head every time.

Positive Wii U news incoming.....

Wii U Specs ‘Are Surprising’ Says Sonic Racing Developers

http://mynintendonews.com/2012/08/24/wii-u-specs-are-surprising-says-sonic-racing-developers/

posted already. just scroll up a little.

tkscz

Sure, if you're brought up with something it's always pretty easy to grasp. It's just terribly irritating if you haven't and must convert it in your head every time.

Like I said, converting is a nightmare with out measuring system. But our schools teach us both our measuring system, and the metric system. Not sure if it's the same in the EU.

Yes you did and my example still stands,i gave my example which is better in terms of lighting and everything else

I didn't convert it in my head.....

The lighting in GoW: A is good, but doesn't seem as dynamic to me. Don't misunderstand, the lighting is great in GoW, but it feels like they are both great in different ways and for me, NintendoLand's is more impressive.

jerd

90 feet = 30 yards

Haha I love this debate! As an American, I think our measurement system is pure idiocy. Why do we insist on using a system other than what is used everywhere else in the world (I think the metric system is used practically everywhere else correct?)!? We're too stubborn at this point and it is too ingrained in our culture. We would have to change signs, textbooks, etc. now. We're in too deep!

tkscz

Haha I love this debate! As an American, I think our measurement system is pure idiocy. Why do we insist on using a system other than what is used everywhere else in the world (I think the metric system is used practically everywhere else correct?)!? We're too stubborn at this point and it is too ingrained in our culture. We would have to change signs, textbooks, etc. now. We're in too deep!

I think it has to do with our inept desire to make things sound bigger. As is, a mile is longer than a kilometer. Fahrenheit makes everything seem hotter than Celsius. Inches are bigger than centimeters and they are both on our rulers. Though that would make things questionable when it came to yards, as a yard is slightly smaller than a meter.

Sheroking

God of War Ascension looks, by my eye, worse than God of War 3 did. I'm not sure if that's the level, the development status, the art-direction... it's just seems to be a lot less refined.

No denying that God of War 3 had tremendous lighting though, probably one of the few I'd say is truly impressive.

Again, I'm not sure that's a hardware thing (at least not completely), Splinter Cell Chaos Theory still blows a lot of supposedly AAA 360 and PS3 games out of the water too.

You use the metric system every single time you use paper money.

Imperial is objectively terrible. 1760 yards = 1 mile? Why not weigh yourself in "stone" while you're at it.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
It was only relative to their expectations; you can speculate.

At least they also say that the memory (RAM?) is way bigger than actual HD allowing for less compressions in order to get better textures.

That said: is it normal that the news of NoA conf for September 13th has killed all my hype?

Yes you did and my example still stands,i gave my example which is better in terms of lighting and everything else

Do we know if Nintendoland lighting is pre-baked or not? If it isn't then your examples are invalid, if it is, you're spot-on... Lighting on current consoles had to be pre-baked or faked to give the illusion of lighting. If nintendoland is using truly dynamic lighting and shadows then it would be far less taxing on the dev team. This would mean that even the low budget games on WiiU could have lighting and shadows rivalling the big budget AAA games of this gen... Unless I've completely misunderstood to tech...
Possible

IIRC the U.S. officially switched over to the metric system years ago, but the masses have chosen to continue to use it...

Sadist

But as I said, we still have more to learn. We haven't seen all the mini-games shown in Nintendo Land, I don't think. We've only seem a pretty small portion of NSMBU. Pikmin 3 needs a bit more exposition. We don't know the full extent of the Wii U OS and account systems. This is all 'new' stuff they have to detail before launch.
Which is pretty nifty, but at the same time I'm not entirely sure if dishing out all the details around features and launchgames is enough. I agree with you on every point, but yeah you know, I feel Nintendo is kind of making the same mistake compared to Sony's launch of Vita. Sony and everyone who wanted a Vita at launch were so determined to show of it's pretty solid launch line-up, but a lot of consumers just thought it lacked perspective for it's future.

I do think Wii U has pretty good launch line-up and as somebody who's interested in Wii U it's enough for me, but with all the delays of big 360/PS3 releases to Q1 and Wii U's 2013 release list looking pretty shallow, I kinda feel Nintendo needs to show it's potential customers what the can expect beyond the holiday season. Don't pull a Vita.

jerd

You use the metric system every single time you use paper money.

Imperial is objectively terrible. 1760 yards = 1 mile? Why not weigh yourself in "stone" while you're at it.

"Damn, you're tall. You must play basketball. What are you like 20 Hands tall or something?"

At least they also say that the memory (RAM?) is way bigger than actual HD allowing for less compressions in order to get better textures.

Yeah, was a good bit of info. So expect most PS360/WiiU multiplats to look better by definition? Who knows. Any PS360/WiiU/PC multiplats we should expect U to get PC texture assets? You'd hope.

Seance

Banned
Don't see why there has been a thread title change. This thing has almost no certifiable quantities; no release date, no price (this year if you would believe it), no hardware specs. The whole thing is still all speculation...

Sid

God of War Ascension looks, by my eye, worse than God of War 3 did. I'm not sure if that's the level, the development status, the art-direction... it's just seems to be a lot less refined.

No denying that God of War 3 had tremendous lighting though, probably one of the few I'd say is truly impressive.
I don't want to derail the thread but everything in ascension is an upgrade tech wise compared to gow3,todd papy mentioned in several interviews that the gow engine was in development during gow3 and now it's finished and they are mastering it,even the mp in ascension looks better than most of gow3 and considering it's out in march 2013 i'd say that's very impressive

Do we know if Nintendoland lighting is pre-baked or not? If it isn't then your examples are invalid, if it is, you're spot-on... Lighting on current consoles had to be pre-baked or faked to give the illusion of lighting.
Actually i don't but ascension has dynamic lighting effects,though if it has fully dynamic lighting or not that remains to be seen
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2012-04-30-god-of-war-ascension-multiplayer-confirmed

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
Which is pretty nifty, but at the same time I'm not entirely sure if dishing out all the details around features and launchgames is enough. I agree with you on every point, but yeah you know, I feel Nintendo is kind of making the same mistake compared to Sony's launch of Vita. Sony and everyone who wanted a Vita at launch were so determined to show of it's pretty solid launch line-up, but a lot of consumers just thought it lacked perspective for it's future.

I do think Wii U has pretty good launch line-up and as somebody who's interested in Wii U it's enough for me, but with all the delays of big 360/PS3 releases to Q1 and Wii U's 2013 release list looking pretty shallow, I kinda feel Nintendo needs to show it's potential customers what the can expect beyond the holiday season. Don't pull a Vita.

I think that both you and Eat are right.
I mean, N in the NoA conf will focus on the already announced software. that's for sure. There are a lot of sw for the launch period, and we saw just small portions of the vast majority of them.
At the same time, I think that for the early adopters would be really important to show some furhter steps in the direction the Wii U will take after March '13, with a couple of trailer dedicated to the incoming sw.

But the fact that it would be important to show these titles (that I think are in development for sure...I mean, I don't think that Nintendo will not release other titles apart the ones already announced for the entire 2013...) this doesn't mean that they'll do it.

They planned this PR strategy, very focused on the mass market (imho), both in terms of software (Land, Sing, Fit) and strategy (who cares about Spring 2013 Starfox? me and you...) and they'll stick with it.

Especially if we are talking about NoA conf.

I have still some little hopes for the Japan conf, because: we saw nothing from japanese third parties and usually we can get info for the future from Iwata's NDirect or similar events (for example it happened with the investors, or at the pre-tgs conf, to receive the announcments for MHTri Wii and MH4 3ds, but also for The Last Story, Pandora's tower and so on...)

What I would really like is to know ASAP the price (and must be good), the dates (and must be 2013 also for PAL), the bundles (I still hope for some sort of bundle, maybe not mandatory as for Wii Sport, allowing me to choose among a coouple of different solutions) and some 2013 projects (such as Monolith, Good Feel, EAD 1/2/3, Retro)

Sheroking

The problem with this assertion is that they're launching the system with their most successful franchise.

It's easy to say that gamers aren't particularly excited for NSMB the way that they would be about Zelda or a 3D Mario, but both NSMB and NSMB Wii outsold every single 3D iteration of Mario in history (including Mario 64). It's one of the few franchises that has equal casual and core appeal.

Sheroking

I don't want to derail the thread but everything in ascension is an upgrade tech wise compared to gow3,todd papy mentioned in several interviews that the gow engine was in development during gow3 and now it's finished and they are mastering it,even the mp in ascension looks better than most of gow3 and considering it's out in march 2013 i'd say that's very impressive

Then it is the art direction, because... wasn't remotely impressed with it at E3.

Kacho

It would be incredibly awesome if what we've seen of NSMBU thus far is different from the final product. When I played the demo at the Wii U Experience, the levels seemed so lifeless and bland. I'd imagine that if the "core" Mario team is working on this title it would be a bit more sophisticated and pleasing to the eyes.

False hope, I know. But I would be completely floored if what we see at the New York event was a bit different.

I have been away since the day after E3 and know basically nothing about reactions, peoples general opinion about Wii U or any news to emerge after the show. Would be thrilled if someone wanted to briefly summarise what has happened during my absence.

The Vita's problem wasn't that it wasn't prepared well enough (that's part of it, but you can recover from it), it was that it tripped out of the gate and Sony never bothered to pick it back up.

Nintendo has no problem concentrating on new hardware. They really kind of suck at balancing two pieces of hardware, but supporting one is not that difficult for them.

Welcome to my world with regard to the majority of contemporary usage of my native tongue i.e. English.

With regard to imperial/metric, I have to convert metric to imperial as I was brought up on imperial measurements and that is a trifle in comparison to converting so much of what I read or hear into comprehensible English.

ON TOPIC:

Any real news lately? I know that there is going to be a Nintendo 'thing' mid September. Anything else of note?

Hoodbury

Back to what the Sept. 13th conference could focus on: I think the actual launch date of the system will play a big role on the focus of the conference. If Nintendo does pull out a huge surprise and try to follow Apple's hardware release strategy and have a conference about a new product and then release it a couple weeks after I would say Nintendo would only focus on the launch games here.

So let's say the launch date is in Oct. If that is correct, then I would guess the Sept conference would be all about launch day software. Short time frame til launch, means they would do a concentrated and focused effort on what is coming in the short term.

If the launch date is Nov/Dec, that would give them some more time for marketing and they could do a more broad conference on Sept 13th and outline some of the future games that are coming. Long time frame til launch, means they could do a more generalized presentation similar to an e3 since they would still have more time to do specific marketing for launch at a later time.

If the console comes out in Oct, they don't have a lot of time left, but if it's Nov/Dec, they have more time to spread the driplet of info out still.

Actually i don't but ascension has dynamic lighting effects,though if it has fully dynamic lighting or not that remains to be seen
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2012-04-30-god-of-war-ascension-multiplayer-confirmed

I may stand corrected, but throwing effects on the end instead of engine or simply saying dynamic lighting kinda throws up a red flag for me. I'm going to go with pre-baked to give the effect of dynamic lighting. This is one of the reasons GoW has held so close to it's fixed camera angles imho.

Banned
I think it has to do with our inept desire to make things sound bigger. As is, a mile is longer than a kilometer. Fahrenheit makes everything seem hotter than Celsius. Inches are bigger than centimeters and they are both on our rulers. Though that would make things questionable when it came to yards, as a yard is slightly smaller than a meter.
Americans are obsessed with making things sound bigger and better, it's like they're overcompensating for something :p

Edit: as a carpenter I use and prefer inches when measuring. The imperial system has its benefits. But for distances when driving and track and field, I prefer the metric system.

Ah, my biggest problem with english is sometimes it takes me a lot more words to saz the same thing. I require moar focus.
What's your native language?

D-e-f-

Banned
The important question is: how can we apply the imperial/metric system logic to Wii U specs! How many feet more powerful is the Wii U? How does the storage convert from MB to Blocks to galons?

Or: should we introduce Pikmin as a new measurement unit? How powerful is Wii U? 10 Pikmin! Whooaaa!

The important question is: how can we apply the imperial/metric system logic to Wii U specs! How many feet more powerful is the Wii U? How does the storage convert from MB to Blocks to galons?

Or: should we introduce Pikmin as a new measurement unit? How powerful is Wii U? 10 Pikmin! Whooaaa!
I prefer graphics, as in "How many more graphics does it have?" "It has four times the graphics!" "But that's 10 graphics less than Sony or Microsoft!" " I heard it only has 5 graphics..."

Lenardo

Banned

IT's as powerful as 100 pikmin on treadmills!!!!

as for a quick dirty imperial to metric conversion for distance, for every 12 yards, subtract 1 for the meter number

so 12yds =11 meters, (10.97 28 to be precise- 11 is close enough.)

for our 30yard number given for the range of the controller, that would work out to be - ABOUT 27 meters

Sadist

I have been away since the day after E3 and know basically nothing about reactions, peoples general opinion about Wii U or any news to emerge after the show. Would be thrilled if someone wanted to briefly summarise what has happened during my absence.
- GAF is baffled by Nintendo showcasing Nintendo Land
- Hype for a part of GAF died down
- Reggie: Nintendo fans are insatiable
- Outrage about the comment above
- Discussion about the graphical performance of Arkham City, AC III and Darksiders II about 500 times
- New threads about every Wii U tidbit
- EA bringing FIFA 13 and Madden 13, people rage about old engines/a few missing features
- 13th of september: Wii U press thing hosted by Reggie in the US

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
"Good and bad news" and "Sumo RAM" topics in Gamers section are the exact example of why I'm already so tired of graphical comparisons.

I really hope that sooner or later (I hope sooner) we all can accept the fact that Wii U is not a generational leap over PS360, in order to

- Judge the graphic performance of its games based on its potential (and not on Orbis-Durango possible potential)
- Talk about games

I don't know if I can sustain other 6 years as for the Wii...espacially when Wii U is a real Nintendo next-gen and not an overclocked GC

"Good and bad news" and "Sumo RAM" topics in Gamers section are the exact example of why I'm already so tired of graphical comparisons.

I really hope that sooner or later (I hope sooner) we all can accept the fact that Wii U is not a generational leap over PS360, in order to

- Judge the graphic performance of its games based on its potential (and not on Orbis-Durango possible potential)
- Talk about games

I don't know if I can sustain other 6 years as for the Wii...espacially when Wii U is a real Nintendo next-gen and not an overclocked GC

I already accepted it, Wii U is definitely on par with current gen, maybe a little bit better. Although this time around if Wii U is the top selling console again I don't expect third parties to ignore it as much as they did with the Wii.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony

- Talk about games

I've long accepted that Wii U isn't a generational leap by the standards that core gamers tend to judge generations - i.e. graphics.

My actual hope is that Wii U represents the technology of this generation, optimized.

Despite what visual hounds say, games this generation look damn good and can do a whole lot. But the hardware of the current HD consoles was slightly ahead of its time, and suffers from bottlenecks, and rough edges:

- Sub HD resolutions to maintain 30fps (!)
- AA difficult to apply in all games
- Wildly varying texture quality due in part to 512M ram
- Inconsistent shadow technology and quality across titles

And so forth. If Wii U, launch window ports aside, can optimize the kinds of games we've seen this generation, I have no issue with that level of performance. Take a game like Gears of War 3, improve the resolution, get rid of the jaggies, up the texture quality, and clean up shadows. You have a damn good looking game.

This in addition to the fact that this gen's hardware began to allow non-photorealistic games to achieve just about anything they aim for. This is even more important considering the kinds of games Wii U will likely have as its backbone - stylized art direction, Nintendo Graphics (tm), and such, should have the potential to achieve fantastic results.

Really, just the fact that there's 3-4 times the ram (let it be 4) is a major deal and should give developers so much more breathing room to do what they want to do. A good example of a recent game is Noogy's Dust on XBLA. Dust is getting raves for its 2D visuals and animation, but Noogy pointed out even being 2D it's very limited by the 360's ram pool. He used it all. Had there been more ram alone, a lot more could have been done with a game like that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom