• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U Thread - Now in HD!

Status
Not open for further replies.

ohlawd

*reads first 50 posts*

d8fc22ba.gif

And guys, what the heck is that white thread near the Wii U's disc slot?

Hoo-doo

Banned
Best "swag" ever? What the fuck?

Swag, as in "free stuff given out at media parties" kind of swag.

Wikipedia said:
Promotional merchandise, promotional items, promotional products, promotional gifts, or advertising gifts, sometimes nicknamed swag or schwag, are articles of merchandise (often branded with a logo) used in marketing and communication programs. They are given away to promote a company, corporate image, brand, or event. These items are usually imprinted with a company's name, logo or slogan, and given away at trade shows, conferences, and as part of guerrilla marketing campaigns.

OctoWara289

Neo Member
I played the Wii U at a Miami Beach event that was held here last month or month and a half ago, and I had a wonderful time. Before going, I was always fixated on Nintendo having to launch with black, otherwise, I wouldn't get one, but once I got my hands on both colors, I ended up liking the white one more. The black was too glossy and a huge fingerprint magnet, think OG 3DS... The white was much cleaner and sophisticated; white all the way from that point on! I found it hard to accept that I preferred the white one, and it wasn't because the black one was necessarily bad, just the way the white was presented/made/felt/looked, whatever, was just a whole lot nicer than what we've seen with the Wii line. Wait till you get your hands on it!

RAWi

Who is really in the pic? How (more like why) would any of the fragdolls have access to debug units? A dev/journo who is friends with them? I'm confused.

Edit: Link removed, Ninjas > Fragdolls lol

Lol xD.

So, is there a Time Record of being on the internet without been killed off by Nin-njas (Nintendo-Ninjas), or that have survived for the longest time, after leaking something?

Banned
Yea, that's how I process that info as well. Like I said earlier, probably part of their bullet-point briefings.

Oh dear, then your phone is a mildly sociopathic nutjob (and kinda funny)! :D
Yes, blessed with the voice of Ali Hillis, who voices Liara from Mass Effect, and my shameful crush, Lightning Farron.

japtor

You can get a 128GB SSD for just under $100.00.  Which is cheaper than a 128GB sd card.  I just happened to get my hands on a 256GB unit and set it aside for this purpose.  You can always go with a mechanical hard drive and save a lot of money, but moving parts and all.
Yeah a normal SSD connected through USB will be cheaper, speed will be another question. It'll depend how the SD slot is connected and how a game accesses its data. Streaming a large chunk could be faster off SD, but other types of accesses would be likely be faster off the SSD through USB.
And how many did say"wow" cause it was running on Wii?
How many would have said "wow" if it were running on 360 or PS3?
Yes, cause it was a nice (and crazy) looking new 3D Mario game.
I believe the PS4/x720/PC will be a force with lots of traction. But the main difference with the previous gen is the Wii U will benefit from a much friendlier environment than Wii did. PS3, x360, Wii U, smartphones, tablets (and Vita) will share close assets, and form a market probably just as big as the next next gen.
The PC is on all sides of the spectrum too, like the majority of computers out there are on integrated graphics iirc, with Intel in the lead last I heard.
But where is the info of alien colonies?
In Stewox's overactive imagination? (there has been stuff said about it being the best looking version and some fancy features with the gamepad, but nothing beyond that)
Who is really in the pic? How (more like why) would any of the fragdolls have access to debug units? A dev/journo who is friends with them? I'm confused.

Edit: Link removed, Ninjas > Fragdolls lol
Viral marketing! (Actually there's a follow up saying they're just transporting them from the GameStop show to PAX)
And guys, what the heck is that white thread near the Wii U's disc slot?
Looks like a reflection of a fluorescent tube light overhead.

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member
Is both, hilarious and sad, how on the specs thread the realist are trying to serve crow on the Nintards based on specs we all knew and accepted several months ago. Like if that info was some kind of revelation or anything :/

Quixz

Since you will have to use your own storage for the Wii U, how fast are the USB ports? (USB 3 or 2) This could affect games even if you have an SSD.

japtor

Them ninjas work fast but the internet is faster.

So the leaks were from ubi......again?
Always and forever.

I assume IdeaMan lives near their building and hangs around in the parking lot, just talking to blabbing employees as they walk to their cars.
Since you will have to use your own storage for the Wii U, how fast are the USB ports? (USB 3 or 2) This could affect games even if you have an SSD.
Probably 2.0 although I forget if that's in the specs Nintendo gave or just an assumption. No clue on how the SD slot is connected.

Hiltz

I played the Wii U at a Miami Beach event that was held here last month or month and a half ago, and I had a wonderful time. Before going, I was always fixated on Nintendo having to launch with black, otherwise, I wouldn't get one, but once I got my hands on both colors, I ended up liking the white one more. The black was too glossy and a huge fingerprint magnet, think OG 3DS... The white was much cleaner and sophisticated; white all the way from that point on! I found it hard to accept that I preferred the white one, and it wasn't because the black one was necessarily bad, just the way the white was presented/made/felt/looked, whatever, was just a whole lot nicer than what we've seen with the Wii line. Wait till you get your hands on it!

You have converted to white ?! I'm still fixated on getting black but I plan on checking out the demo stations at retailers once their made available. I need to see if the white one looks more attractive in person and just how much of a finger print magnet the black one is (I only have a black CC Pro if that's anything to go by). By the way, do we even now if the Wii U's disc slot illuminates or not?

Sheroking

On the USB 2.0/3.0 stuff, why does it matter?

I'm using an external USB 2.0 HDD for all my PC games and I have no speed or techincal issues whatsoever. Would that be different with the Wii U.

I'm using an external USB 2.0 HDD for all my PC games and I have no speed or techincal issues whatsoever. Would that be different with the Wii U.
I think it's probably because USB 3.0 is faster/better and the cost of implementation is likely very low.

I just realized the wii u is now shorter vertically and much wider horizontally now than it was at E3 2011. Is the wii u as long IRL as some of you guys say? There are some pictures of the wii u's length but they are all from last year so the dimensions might be different now and i want to know if the wii u is short enough to fit in my setup
Still looks long to me
cYuFU.png

tnaden

USB 2.0: 480 Mbit/s (effective throughput up to 35 MB/s)
Which is about equal to an 8x blue-ray drive.

(PS3 has a 2x Blu-ray Drive (72Mbps(9MB/s)))
Both these numbers are of course not really usable under real world conditions.. especially not with how games are written on a disk (most used data on the outer layers etc)

axisofweevils

Holy crap! Today's real megaton is that more than two people can have the same first name.
Visited Argos in the UK today. The store had a large "Pre order the Wii U for £10" poster outside the shop, along with a picture of a White Wii U.

Intriguingly, in the small print, there were the words:
"Console colours and design subject to change."

Sheroking

I think it's probably because USB 3.0 is faster/better and the cost of implementation is likely very low.

I have Steam downloading games on my F: drive, and I install from a disc. I don't see much of a difference between my C: drive and my F: drive, certainly not one to justify any great need for USB 3.0 implementation. The only time I ever see a need for more speed is transferring files from one drive to another, which, because we're limited by bandwidth and download speed, shouldn't impact 99% of people anyway.

I'm just wondering if that would be different because of console hardware, for some reason unbenownst to me.

This "new info" is the same that was leaked some time ago, where it is the surprise?

I told a long time ago that the memory amount will be 1-1.5 gb in applications (depending on nintendo's choice) so ... I mean there is no new info in eurogamer's article. This is why devkits have 3 gb (doble memory in the "better" case I said long time ago).

I am still unclear if there is a grand total of 2GB or 1.5GB in the system. Care to clear that up?

RAWi

This accessory could become quite useful.

If I remember correctly, Nintendo will include something like that right? (I think it was shown during the Non-Specific Action Figure trailer).

D-e-f-

Banned
This accessory could become quite useful.

w3aokme.png

If I remember correctly, Nintendo will include something like that right? (I think it was shown during the Non-Specific Action Figure trailer).

what is this madness!? a useful third party accessory? the end is truly nigh!

no seriously, if the Wii U doesn't come with a stand, that might help a lot with video chat and Pikmin 3 for starters.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
I am still unclear if there is a grand total of 2GB or 1.5GB in the system. Care to clear that up?
Nobody can clear that up until they have a retail unit in their hands. The only thing this article confirms is that the final unit will have >1GB of RAM.

R

Rösti

Unconfirmed Member
First Wii U quote from a western securities firm in a long time, well at least that which is published through EDGAR. Anyway, from PIMCO Equity Series, report published today, with "interesting" part in bold:

Nintendo is one of the world’s largest manufacturers of video game hardware and software. It’s been under pressure for some time due to struggling sales, weaker than expected profits, and a continued shift of gamers away from portable gaming devices towards smartphones. Issues still linger for the Wii U, including its sales price, although in our view investors are already considering this product as a failure upon launch. So much so that at the end of the period, the company’s stock was priced at roughly a 28% premium to the cash and investments held on the company’s balance sheet. By comparison, BlackBerry manufacturer Research In Motion (RIMM), which is not held in the portfolio, and which is undergoing a great deal of negative investor sentiment, has a 72% premium in its market capitalization to the value of the cash and investments on its balance sheet. With competitors proposing methods of play that look similar to Nintendo’s with the use of a portable device that connects to a game console, the company hardware may no longer be a key competitive differentiator and Nintendo may need to highlight the unique appeal of Wii U through its software. In addition, we believe there is the potential for upside surprise if Nintendo is able to incorporate its own game universe (called “Miiverse”) and can then capitalize on its library of intellectual property.
Source: http://www.sec.gov/Archives/edgar/data/1479360/000119312512374415/d370710dncsr.htm

Misterhbk

This might be a silly question but will all Wii games be playable with the Wii U controller? If so I may hold off on playing Xenoblade so I can play it on Wii U

japtor

USB 2.0: 480 Mbit/s (effective throughput up to 35 MB/s)
Which is about equal to an 8x blue-ray drive.

(PS3 has a 2x Blu-ray Drive (72Mbps(9MB/s)))
Both these numbers are of course not really usable under real world conditions.. especially not with how games are written on a disk (most used data on the outer layers etc)
And the varying access times can change things dramatically. On the opposite ends of the spectrum, SSDs are sub 1ms, optical drives are something like 150-450ms.
I have Steam downloading games on my F: drive, and I install from a disc. I don't see much of a difference between my C: drive and my F: drive, certainly not one to justify any great need for USB 3.0 implementation. The only time I ever see a need for more speed is transferring files from one drive to another, which, because we're limited by bandwidth and download speed, shouldn't impact 99% of people anyway.

I'm just wondering if that would be different because of console hardware, for some reason unbenownst to me.
Well if you load a huge contiguous chunk of data it will make a difference. Like 30 vs 90MB/s will be a 3x difference in loading time.

...but that's an optimal situation which isn't always realistic. A game with more files to load will benefit more from faster access time than raw bandwidth. Like since platter drives suck with small transfers, in those cases it wouldn't make a huge difference over USB 2 since it's being limited by the drive itself.
It's late, I worked all day and I'm tired, so cut me some slack if I got this wrong, but are they honestly saying investors think more highly of RIM than of Nintendo ? Because that sounds so stupid it can't be true.
Sort of. Not so much that investors think highly of RIM as much as just using them as a well known point of comparison to demonstrate how lowly people are taking Nintendo, like "we all know RIM sucks, well Nintendo's stock performance ratios are even worse."

Shokio

Neo Member
Rösti;41583586 said:
First Wii U quote from a western securities firm in a long time, well at least that which is published through EDGAR. Anyway, from PIMCO Equity Series, report published today, with "interesting" part in bold:

Source: http://www.sec.gov/Archives/edgar/data/1479360/000119312512374415/d370710dncsr.htm

To me, this sounds like

1) Nintendo is selling the Wii U at a loss

2) Nintendo is selling it at a low profit margin

or

3) They simply don't think the tablet controller will catch on.

So have things settled down?

Their CPUs won't be low powered compared to current gen though.

Whatever you want to discern from "archectecture" it appears theres still going to be a large disparity in power between the systems.

First architecture != power. Putting it in quotes is asinine as if that's supposed to mean something. CPUs are much better today compared to what we saw back then, however those past CPUs also had modifications to make up for their shortcomings. Other than efficiency Xbox 3 and PS4 will have more cores than what PS360 have so that's also how they'll surpass them. Everything so far points toward those two consoles having Jaguar cores. They aren't brute force CPU cores. But in terms of designing next gen games, which is what matters, the consoles are being designed to rely more on the GPUs for certain tasks which is not like what we saw this gen. Wii U is also apparently designed in this manner. Whatever "large" gap they have in power will be irrelevant if they don't have to do much work on how the code is run. And engines are being designed to run more on anything that can perform general processing, not just the CPU. So in terms of architecture, which was the main issue with Wii, Wii U is more comparable so far with PS4 and Xbox 3. And that's what really matters. I couldn't care less about Wii U in relation to dying consoles power or architecture-wise.

When people say "it's just 2006 all over again" they're buying into the fallacy of history repeating itself. History does not repeat itself. It does, however, resonate with past circumstances.

Is there a real reason to be concerned about Wii U's long term support? Yes.

Is 2012 the exact same situation as 2006? No, of course not.

We're now in an industry that has learned it is very hard and expensive to keep raking in the AAA core gamer dollar, that most of your over-budgeted triple A games fail to make money, and studios regularly shutter because the situation is unsustainable.

We are also in an industry that has seen how blind it was to the Wii's potential to blow up, and utterly failed to capitalize, leaving money on the table. And the existence of far wider audiences than the 20-30 year old male is now firmly established, even the nature of those audiences isn't fully understood.

The Wii also did not launch with games directly competitive to the other platforms. From day 1, it was outclassed in terms of software available. The unusually long 7th generation may, just possibly, be a boon to Nintendo. It allows them to launch Wii U, and for the next 1-2 years position the console as having a truly competitive library with the other guys, plus all the exclusive stuff only Nintendo can offer.

I know that many do not want to see the 8th generation as having the potential of repeating the 6th - with a triad of consoles with noticeably segmented performance. The notion that the PS4 and Xbox 720 will be as far beyond Wii U as this gen is beyond PS2 is too firmly entrenched. (And a recipe for massive disappointment.)

But I think there is some potential for Nintendo to force a PS2-Gamecube-Xbox scenario here - though in a modified form, whatever shape that will take.

Oddly, a 'soft crash' of the AAA games industry might help them out. If the number of AAA+A games does decline over the next few years, it would appear that only means the number of superior exclusives the next gen MS and Sony consoles have will be a lot smaller. There does seem to be an assumption in place that after a year or so, every significant game on the other consoles will be a UE4-powered technology festival that will be impossible to port to Wii U.

But it's also possible we would end up with a situation that resonates with the 6th generation - the most powerful consoles occasionally get their showpiece title, and the average multiplatform game remains at a level a couple of notches below that.

Exactly. Nothing I can add to this. Though with your posts, there hardly ever is anything to add. :)

D-e-f-

Banned
This might be a silly question but will all Wii games be playable with the Wii U controller? If so I may hold off on playing Xenoblade so I can play it on Wii U

We don't know for sure. "Probably" is the status on that so far. Nintendo of Spain seemed to think so but referred to NCL for official confirmation.

is western grip allowed?

I feel so relieved that I have absolutely no idea what that means :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom