• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid: Ground Zeroes gameplay demo

Yen

I'm so hyped for this. Though I hope Big Boss doesn't get referred to Old Boss, like I've seen in this thread, it just complicates things!

The only thing I'm really impressed by is:
- specular lit surfaces in the thunder, when thunder flashes the rocks light up in the right places, and it looks really good.
- the star-trek-esque horizontal light/lens flares. Subtle use of it in places, but it's good the way the effect works when the view is obstructed by a railing or whatever. It adds quite a lot to the cutscene bits especially.
- Flapping, or blowing capes and hair.

Similarly, I thought the nicest thing about Watchdogs was things like the nighttime field of view / bokeh effect, the reflective maps on the cars and so forth. Otherwise it looked like a current gen game.

The lighting model looks beautiful here, but I can believe that its doable on current hardware.

One of the things that excites me, is that after Peace Walker, I know he can make a game that is primarily game play. And from what I understand, that's his intent.

MGS4, while good, really blew it's load on the cinemas. I don't think many MGS fans could handle another game that story based again.

I kind of get the impression that this will be Peace Walker 2, with the big jump to HD.

And the graphics are unbelievable.

I'm a bit confused. If the boy in the cage is indeed Chico, he doesn't seem to be much older since Peace Walker; plus that comment that they found Paz.
That would put Ground Zeroes maybe like 1-2 years after PW?
But Big Boss seems to have aged much more IMO.

Ground Zeroes sounds like a play of words with the MGS4 ending in mind...

I still have to finish PW HD, but I guess the setting of the next real MGS will give me the motivation to do so.

Although I'm not sure why this isn't called MGS5? Maybe to not deter the 360 crowd?

It raises a lot of gameplay questions that you can switch settings with the helicopter just like that. I guess it works as to save the game etc. in these bigger areas? Will you be returned to the exact same point?
I have to admit that I need to see more gameplay. I really like the bigger areas in Act2 in MGS4 and I don't like the feeling of missions/instant helicopter escapes&returns etc. in PW, but that was for the portable gameplay.

Looks great and I think the gameplay part will actually look like that on current consoles, minus maybe some of the PQ. It's a lot of effects that make this look good, not super high-res textures etc., probably even looks shitty if they had zoomed in ;p
I wonder though if the cutscenes will be realtime again and how big the areas are. Maybe they just have some good streaming tricks in the fox engine.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Well, I just saw it and I don't believe it at all. It won't look like this when it's actually played, because that was next generation stuff. That was even better looking than the Killzone 2 tech demo from E3...

Hindle

Banned
]The Metal Gear story really is a mess at this point IMO, seriously how many prequels is he going to do. Reboot the franchise basically. It's the gameplay that has me interested in this at the moment.

The reason it's not called MGS5 is probably because this isn't MGS5. Kojima said he wanted to bring Solid Snake back, so maybe MGS5 is development for next-gen with Solid as the protagonist. In other words, the '5' tag is reserved for a sequel, not a prequel.

The reason it's not called MGS5 is probably because this isn't MGS5. Kojima said he wanted to bring Solid Snake back, so maybe MGS5 is development for next-gen with Solid as the protagonist. In other words, the '5' tag is reserved for a sequel, not a prequel.

This game is a prologue to Metal Gear Solid 5, which would indicate that it will be a Metal Gear Remake.

SJRB

Gold Member
Well, I just saw it and I don't believe it at all. It won't look like this when it's actually played, because that was next generation stuff. That was even better looking than the Killzone 2 tech demo from E3...

But lord Kojima played it, live and on stage in front of 3000 people..

-SD-

Banned
conan_clapgfpqm.gif

So... the next step in gaming graphics has finally and officially been taken. Too bad that character animation is still lagging behind.

I wonder when MGS5 will be set...I wouldn't be surprised if it's set after MGS4 and Kojima brings snake back with some nanomachines BS.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but we've almost never seen night time gameplay in an MGS game before. I can only think of the short section between crashing your rocket drone and meeting up with EVA at the start of Operation Snake Eater in MGS3, and the darkness didn't really have much of an effect on the gameplay. It'd be so amazing if you could use the darkness to aide you in sneaking around, even moreso if the rainstorms get heavy enough to mask your movements.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
eddie_bhc2bzqumr.gif

So... the next step in gaming graphics has finally and officially been taken. Too bad that character animation is still lagging behind.
They are still a huge improvement over MGS4, plus they can still tune a lot of stuff!

The only thing I'm really impressed by is:
- specular lit surfaces in the thunder, when thunder flashes the rocks light up in the right places, and it looks really good.
- the star-trek-esque horizontal light/lens flares. Subtle use of it in places, but it's good the way the effect works when the view is obstructed by a railing or whatever. It adds quite a lot to the cutscene bits especially.
- Flapping, or blowing capes and hair.

Similarly, I thought the nicest thing about Watchdogs was things like the nighttime field of view / bokeh effect, the reflective maps on the cars and so forth. Otherwise it looked like a current gen game.

The lighting model looks beautiful here, but I can believe that its doable on current hardware.
I agree. The lighting looked nice but none of the textures, shaders or models looked next gen to me. It looked more like a very nice upgraded PC version of a current gen console game like Crysis 3 PC which whilst looking much nicer than the console versions, doesn't look next gen.

StuBurns

Banned
hey, mgs as a brand sells and large quantities of money is a great persuasion.
Yeah of course, and I fully expected to see more, still fronted by Kojima, but I believe this is the first time he's had one in the chamber so to speak. During every game he'll say it's his last, then maybe hint it's not, then we get the new one confirmed. This is the first time he's said, here is my next Metal Gear, and there's another one coming after that.

PerZona

Gotta say this looks quite impressive. Can't see this being released on current gen consoles. Maybe a launch title for next PS/XBOX...

It is for the PS3 and Xbox 360, watch the gameplay footage right after the credits, there's the PS3 and Xbox 360 logos there. And the US PS Blog confirms that it's coming to the PS3 as well.

S1kkZ

off topic question: metal gear hd collection is 25 bucks on the german xbl marketplace (games on demand). is that an ok price and is the 360 version ok or fucked up in some way?

GCX

It is for the PS3 and Xbox 360, watch the gameplay footage right after the credits, there's the PS3 and Xbox 360 logos there. And the US PS Blog confirms that it's coming to the PS3 as well.
Many things can change between an early demo and final release.

SJRB

Gold Member
Remember Rising 1.0?

I most definately do. In all fairness though Kojima had little to do with that project. There's a perfect developer interview on youtube on the failure of Rising, where it all went wrong before Kojima finally took control and contacted Platinum. When Rising 1.0 first was shown it was all vague as hell - there was a concept but no actual game. They had an idea of slicing things up but flat out stated they had nothing else. The project was doomed from the start.

In this case however Kojima is on top of things. There is a story, gameplay elements, a fully-developed engine. I have much faith that this is representative of the final version.

Yoshichan

I agree. The lighting looked nice but none of the textures, shaders or models looked next gen to me. It looked more like a very nice upgraded PC version of a current gen console game like Crysis 3 PC which whilst looking much nicer than the console versions, doesn't look next gen.
Hmm, I personally think that the models in this game are outstanding. This looks "next-gen" to me, especially in motion where you can see every inch of rain on the skin + how they react to it.

kYnUH.png

BOt0m.png

86TrK.jpg

sonicmj1

Correct me if I'm wrong, but we've almost never seen night time gameplay in an MGS game before. I can only think of the short section between crashing your rocket drone and meeting up with EVA at the start of Operation Snake Eater in MGS3, and the darkness didn't really have much of an effect on the gameplay. It'd be so amazing if you could use the darkness to aide you in sneaking around, even moreso if the rainstorms get heavy enough to mask your movements.

The Tanker chapter in MGS2 and Act 3 in MGS4 both happen at night. But it didn't mean anything in those cases either.

The graphics are great, but I feel like the demo was more about building the setting then about communicating how the game plays. I like the suggestion of a much more open world, which reminds me of some of the larger areas in Act 2 of MGS4, but outside of the map and the idea of using vehicles, not a lot actually happened.

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
That video was pretty damn impressive.
compression not withstanding it looked really good, if this was all real time rendering fuck thats alot of cloth simulation going(unless they are canned animations).
And the as far as i can tell real time reflections hell this must be one hell of an engine to handle all this on console at 60fps.

Im officially impressed by this engine, once they finish this game i imagine it will look much better and if a PC version is released.....fuck!

P.S Are we allowed to say puts Splinter Cell to shame cuz the actual gameplay parts reminded me so much of Chaos Theory then i see what Splinter Cell has become and i just sigh.

Top Bottom