• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid: Ground Zeroes gameplay demo

Pachimari

I love that Hideo Kojima himself is so into this project and that they are trying to replicate that Metal Gear Solid 1 feeling.

tkscz

Wow, just wow. This is what a shit ton of effort gives you. But, this kind of puts next gen to question. Also, Ubisoft, look at this. This is a stealth action game. Return Splinter Cell to this.

spuit*11

Banned
I hope we still have the iPod in the game. :(
Sony Walkman baby!

Cassettes to be scattered around the world like the mp3s in MGS4.

Guards on duty have a walkman, lay the guy out, shake him to make him drop a cassette.

sony-walkmanaticj.jpg

injurai

Banned
If this is true, he should do a proper GITS:SAC game.

I'm still trying to wrap my head around why BB looks older.

In PW:

mgs2.jpg

in GZ:

007.jpg

But Chico doesn't look that much older at all, like he can't be more than 2 years older than he was in PW, so how did BB get so grey so fast?

Something something Kojima wants snake to age with is fan base so he will be more relatable...

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
I was thinking about that the second time I watched the video. There seems to be some disconnection between what are we seeing and what are we hearing.

That's not unusual for a MGS intro cut scene. It's actually rather common. We usually get to listen to previous briefing conversations while Snake is seen infiltrating the mission area.

Why does the kid have an audio jack implant on his chest anyway? :D

Epcott

Because maybe the boy inside that cage IS NOT Chico? Chico would ook much older at that time, whereas this boy looks even younger than Chico in PW!

There's a Joystiq article about this. Second, the narration is talking about how Paz and Chico are held in the same base, Snake is going into that base the same moment XOF is leaving and heading to inspect Mother Base (BB's old hangout). Scarred dude says "give my regards to your Boss" (or something like that) to the boy. He also says "she didn't suffer much" possibly referring to Amanda, his sister.

irpAL.jpg

Plus, they have the same color eyes.

rvy

Banned
There's a Joystiq article about this. Second, the narration is talking about how Paz and Chico are held in the same base, Snake is going into that base the same moment XOF is leaving and heading to inspect Mother Base (BB's old hangout). Scarred dude says "give my regards to your Boss" (or something like that) to the boy. He also says "she didn't suffer much" possibly referring to Amanda, his sister.

http://i.imgur.com/irpAL.jpg[IMG]

Plus, they have the same color eyes.[/QUOTE]

Nah, man. Let's keep throwing shit at the walls in typical MGS fan fashion and ignore the obvious.

irpAL.jpg

In addition to all of this, Chico wished to be a man, a soldier, in Peace Walker.

And the narration of the video says "that flashing area is where Chico was" (to paraphrase).

Gui_PT

I have no idea what you guys are talking about, I haven't played MGS4 or PW =\
I have to read up on those games.

This looks amazing though. Can't wait to see more.

Many people, noticed the disconnection in that trailer, especially between XOF unit and Glavez leaving the Omega camp and Snake climbing the waiting (the "kept you waiting hun?" isn't inncoent here). Did anyone notice THE H O L O G R A P H I C map tool he is holding?

I thnik it is TOO MUCH for the 80's technology!

Any speculations?

irpAL.jpg

And BB's appearance....?

"Age hasn't slowed you down one bit"

Derrick01

Banned
Many people, noticed the disconnection in that trailer, especially between XOF unit and Glavez leaving the Omega camp and Snake climbing the waiting (the "kept you waiting hun?" isn't inncoent here). Did anyone notice THE H O L O G R A P H I C map engine he is holding?

I thnik it is TOO MUCH for the 80's tech!

Any speculations?

Tech in the MGS world isn't the same as ours. Peace Walker had walking nuke tanks with advanced AI in the mid 70s.

That's not unusual for a MGS intro cut scene. It's actually rather common. We usually get to listen to previous briefing conversations while Snake is seen infiltrating the mission area.

Why does the kid have an audio jack implant on his chest anyway? :D

I mean in the time sense. Seems like the conversation takes place some time after PW but what we're seeing is several years in the future.

Wait a minute. In that interview with Geoff he said that they are looking at next gen hardware and that it will look very good on that as well... What is that about? Slip of the tongue maybe?

Actually he goes into more detail about that...saying they would implement tesselation etc. Does this mean it is a sure thing? Seems like it. If a PS4 version hits thats the one I would get. Seems like a very good idea as well.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Tech in the MGS world isn't the same as ours. Peace Walker had walking nuke tanks with advanced AI in the mid 70s.
For some reason a hologram stands out even more than that stuff to me. The stuff on Peace Walker looked at least based in 70s tech. Oh well, this is just a really minor nitpick. The hologram looks damn cool anyway.

That's what I am thinking by seeing your Deus Ex avatr lol!

I still don't know why whenever I think about MGS, Deus Ex comes to mind, same type of game (stealth) released for the first time at the same year, very advanced tech for the respective period of time and era,same idea about the use of technology, and the newest Deus Ex has almost the same design in using the bio-robotic limbs like in MGS4 and MGRising. That's no coincidence.

Many people, noticed the disconnection in that trailer, especially between XOF unit and Glavez leaving the Omega camp and Snake climbing the waiting (the "kept you waiting hun?" isn't inncoent here). Did anyone notice THE H O L O G R A P H I C map tool he is holding?

I thnik it is TOO MUCH for the 80's technology!

Any speculations?

The Holographic Map is powered by (i?). Droid Beta Version 1.02.

SkylineRKR

The kid has a walkman, which is introduced in 1979. PW takes place in 1974, and Snake was already becoming slightly grey haired in PW as can be seen on the artwork.

Its plausible that this game takes place 5 years after PW, the kid however, which indeed obviously seems to be Chico, doesn't seem to be that much older than he was in PW.

Opiate

For PC or not for PC? I sold my PS3 and am now without a last gen console. Do we have any indications if it will it be as plot heavy as previous installations?

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
After Galvez erased the XOF logo from the helicopter the music stopped playing. Does that mean the time frame has changed and the walkman is gone?

Epcott

I have no idea what you guys are talking about, I haven't played MGS4 or PW =\
I have to read up on those games.

This looks amazing though. Can't wait to see more.

This is like a direct sequel to PW, probably would be a good idea to read the wiki on it.

At first, I imagined the open-world map structure being similar to PW, (instead of PW's connect the dot map).

In PW, you're going to the same locations to blow up barricades and such.

But when I think about it further, you can pretty much do that in every MG except 4, which is episodic, and parts of 3. Perhaps every MG game is open world in this regard. In MGS, you can get to near the end of the game and still travel back to the beginning if you wanted. In GZ, you have more capable means of transportation, instead of riding in the back of a storage truck.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
I mean in the time sense. Seems like the conversation takes place some time after PW but what we're seeing is several years in the future.

Come to think of it, when Snake is told where Chico and Paz are held, the voice says "they are held in and old unused part of the compound". The cage the kid is in, is definitely not in an unused part of the compound (we see other prisoners there earlier).

So either the kid is not Chico, or the mission actually occurs into the future.

Or, the kid is Chico, and he is older and held in the "old unused part of the compound" when Snake arrives several years later.

sonicmj1

For some reason a hologram stands out even more than that stuff to me. The stuff on Peace Walker looked at least based in 70s tech. Oh well, this is just a really minor nitpick. The hologram looks damn cool anyway.

MGS3 has flying hover platforms in 1960s Russia.

After Galvez erased the XOF logo from the helicopter the music stopped playing. Does that mean the time frame has changed and the walkman is gone?

Please don't tell me that Galvez got irradiated and thus he got a greater longevity like the ghouls of Fallout 3 and he is still leaving in the modern era! It sounds insane lol, but knowing Kojima...

For PC or not for PC? I sold my PS3 and am now without a last gen console. Do we have any indications if it will it be as plot heavy as previous installations?

If it is made available on the PC, which this was running on, it should look very good and thus be a worthwhile purchase. However, a PC logo does not appear within the trailer, only the Playstation 3 and Xbox 360 logos are apparent so it is not particularly clear as to whether it will only be on those or not.

As for it being plot heavy, have you completed Snake Eater and Peace Walker? Based on the current information, located within the trailer, those two (Peace Walker in particular) are advisable to have completed. It is likely however that there will be some form of summary within the game (possibly in the form of exposition within the game) that will allow you to simply play it without having finished those two. As for whether the game itself will be plot-heavy? It's unclear. If this is Project Ogre as is suspected then Kojima has indicated that he wishes it to be much more "free", which may imply that there won't be as many cutscenes as in previous installments within the series.

EDIT: Also, some people, myself included, believe that although this will definitely launch on the PS3 and 360, there is a possibility that it will eventually launch on the next generation systems (a Wii U release may not be likely considering no logo for it appears in the trailer though). This may be in the form of a "Substance" edition. However, whether or not it will is simply speculation based upon the graphics within the gameplay that we have seen.

Necrovex

I feel the hype coming back to me after watching this trailer. Peace Walker burnt me a little from the franchise. I really hope Konami releases MGS:GZ for the PC. It would be glorious to use my headphones.

SparkTR

Probably will be, but no confirmation. Apparently the game will be more 'balanced' in regards to cut scenes vs gameplay, if that's what you mean.

SkylineRKR

Come to think of it, when Snake is told where Chico and Paz are held, the voice says "they are held in and old unused part of the compound". The cage the kid is in, is definitely not in an unused part of the compound (we see other prisoners there earlier).

Or, the kid is Chico, and he is older and held in the "old unused part of the compound" when Snake arrives in the future.

So basically the scene with the walkman could be around 1979 or so, and the mission somewhere in the 80's. Still, why doesn't Chico look like an older boy (if he's Chico anyway).

StuBurns

Banned

Or, the kid is Chico, and he is older and held in the "old unused part of the compound" when Snake arrives in the future.
Indeed.

I think it goes like this. The first few minutes are a couple of years after Peace Walker, then some time during the helicopter flight, it jumps to maybe ten years later, and they're referring to where he currently is. Then you see old Big Boss, and some point during him checking his magic map, it jumps back to just after Peace Walker.

When he gets on the chopper at the end, his hair is brown.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
So basically the scene with the walkman could be around 1979 or so, and the mission somewhere in the 80's.

Possibly even later than that. The 90's maybe? I mean Big Boss is really old here. Perhaps he has already met Solid Snake (from MG1 and MG2) when this stuff happens.

Any pic of Big Boss from the MG1/2 era?

Edit: I wonder who the "guests" are as well.

Man

Been listening to that Joan Baez song most of the day via Spotify. Not sure why it hit me so effectively. Just perfect directing by Kojima.

Top Bottom