• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT8| A Salt on the Control Room

TheOddOne

yeah its called spinning ur br.
Mawr accuracy and mawr chix
3be.gif

Then go somewhere else. This is Halo OT, not Everything Halo But Not Book Fiction OT. If we look at the amount of book fiction talk that goes on in these threads, I don't think it's unreasonable to conclude there isn't enough to sustain a separate thread. If I had to peg it as a percentage, I'd say book fiction discussion compromises, at the most, 10% of what gets discussed in these threads. And I'm not hesitant to say that I figure the majority of that comes from discussions that come immediately after a book is released.

I really don't enjoy Forge, nor do I care for MLG/Pro tournaments/battles with Ogre or whomever, but you don't see me suggest-but-not-suggest all talk about those subjects stops because I get bored with them. Other people enjoy 'em, and that's most important. Just skip over the posts when it pops up.
ZOMG Dax alert! lol i was just saying. I'm not crying about it or anything and I said that I DO go somewhere else when it happens. But thanks for the pro tip...

DesertFox

I really need to finish Glasslands and Cryptum so I can move onto Primordium and Thursday War.

Maybe audiobooks are the way to go for me.

Yeah audiobooks are a great way to go, I'm currently listening to the audiobook of Primordium on the ride to/from work and sometimes on lunchbreak with headphones when I'm alone in the breakroom. It's great to not have to lug around a paperback and be able to multitask while listening to it.

Fuchsdh

Yeah audiobooks are a great way to go, I'm currently listening to the audiobook of Primordium on the ride to/from work and sometimes on lunchbreak with headphones when I'm alone in the breakroom. It's great to not have to lug around a paperback and be able to multitask while listening to it.
Maybe you guys are different, but unless I'm doing something brainless like yard work I can't really give tr audiobook the attention it deserves. Books allow me to soak it up much easier (and give me pages to cite for FUD articles.)

DesertFox

Maybe you guys are different, but unless I'm doing something brainless like yard work I can't really give tr audiobook the attention it deserves. Books allow me to soak it up much easier (and give me pages to cite for FUD articles.)

Yeah in a way I agree - the audiobooks work well with Cryptum and Primordium because there are no dates/timestamps and it is more or less a chronological commentary from beginning to end. Books like Fall of Reach, Ghost of Onyx, First Strike etc. would be very hard to follow with an audiobook because you hafta keep track of a lot of different storylines and dates at the same time. I prefer to read those stories from a book.

Okay Halo Gaf, I've been away since Wednesday night at Bestival (It was great btw), what have I missed?
Hope I didn't miss anything:
• Neowise finds Modder in Reach. Frankie will show No Mercy.
• Dax refers HaloGAF to be "Dweebs" lol.
• Shake Appeal creative opinions on Halo.
• New GI Exclusive look at Promethean Class & Weaponry.
• NYCC heavily hinted by Alison Stroll.
• Frankie teases Campaign flashbacks.. Jelly.
• Murder Miners is the titz! GAF approval.
• Bravo vid. Exile CTF AC + SAW gameplay.
• Juices still isn't hired by 343 to become Halo's Reckoning...
• Oh, Halo 4 Solo Legendary is going to be a salty bitch.

Overdoziz

Banned
Prisoner: just broken. Halo maps shouldn't be this vertical, and not this small at the same time. The Gemini of Halo 1. Has a sniper rifle for some reason, and two of them.

Damnation: 1-sided only please, and has the teleporter problem. Would rather have a spiritual successor. Suffers from the Halo 1 issue where every map had to have a damn sniper rifle no matter the size.

Beaver Creek: Too small and cramped for modern Halo, although the CA version slightly alleviates this, but it's not even truly symmetrical. One team has direct access to the rockets under cover while the other one must climb the exposed rock arch. By the way, sniper rifle. On a small map. Halo 1.jpg

Hang Em High: Okay I get the history behind this map, but please, let's make Reach the last game this version shows up in. Longshore was a much better version of this map actually adapted to modern Halo. It's seriously been in or had a successor in every single mainline Halo game. Stop burning DLC slots on this.

Timberlands: The only 99% symmetrical map in the Anniversary map pack. Also doesn't exist in matchmaking anymore, unless you're playing the Ridgeline variant. It probably helps that this was made by a team that was making the map to be played online originally in Halo PC.

Headlong: The only modern-style map in the Anniversary map pack, which is probably left over from the fact that it was originally designed for Halo 2's Invasion. Slayer didn't work on this map in 2004, it doesn't work in 2012.

The CA versions of the first 3 alleviate some of the issues, although Damnation just feels more like an alternate weapon layout. High Noon is essentially a weird hybrid of Hang Em High and Tombstone, and for some reason they inverted the bases from Tombstone (which was the proper move for online 1-sided play) in the name of Halo 1 accuracy.
You're one of those people who thinks Snipers have no place on small maps, eh? Prisoner, okay. Beaver Creek and Damnation? Those maps are fine for Snipers. There are some nice lines of sight that you can work with. The Sniper on Countdown is probably one of the most balanced power weapon/map combinations. There are some great lines of sight but the map isn't too open to make it overpowered. It's only really effective in the right hands, that's how it's supposed to be.

Or would you rather put Snipers on Hemorrhage?

(I know I'm a bit late on this.)

Risen

You're one of those people who thinks Snipers have no place on small maps, eh? Prisoner, okay. Beaver Creek and Damnation? Those maps are fine for Snipers. There are some nice lines of sight that you can work with. The Sniper on Countdown is probably one of the most balanced power weapon/map combinations. There are some great lines of sight but the map isn't too open to make it overpowered. It's only really effective in the right hands, that's how it's supposed to be.

Or would you rather put Snipers on Hemorrhage?

(I know I'm a bit late on this.)

I'd rather see a snipe on ANY map than a sword.

TheOddOne

The best TV show just ended:(

Still looking forward to Boardwalk Empire & Dexter.
Yeah, I know. Breaking Bad trumps everything, still there is tons to see.

Boardwalk Empire season 2.
Sons of Anarchy season 5.
Hell of Wheels season 2.
Psych season 7.
Dexter season 6.
Copper and new pilots.

Hope I didn't miss anything:
• Neowise finds Modder in Reach. Frankie will show No Mercy.
• Dax refers HaloGAF to be "Dweebs" lol.
• Shake Appeal creative opinions on Halo.
• New GI Exclusive look at Promethean Class & Weaponry.
• NYCC heavily hinted by Alison Stroll.
• Frankie teases Campaign flashbacks.. Jelly.
• Murder Miners is the titz! GAF approval.
• Bravo vid. Exile CTF AC + SAW gameplay.
• Juices still isn't hired by 343 to become Halo's Reckoning...
• Oh, Halo 4 Solo Legendary is going to be a salty bitch.

Thanks Noble, I've actually been absent for the weekend so this is awesome. Time to go find that GI exclusive.

JHall

Hell of Wheels season 2.
Psych season 7.
Dexter season 6.
Copper and new pilots.

Don't forget about the Walking Dead season 3 on October 14th.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
That moment when you realize you graduate from college in December, and you can drop at least one of your bullshit classes because your military service counts for at least 6 credits.

Fuck yeah.

You missing out, squid.

Didn't like the first season, so I stopped.
Boardwalk Empire - Not big on period piece dramas, despite the fact that Michael K. Williams and Steve Buscemi are in it.
Sons of Anarchy - Never watched an episode of SoA, seemed to similar to BB (asshole main characters in the drug business)
Hell on Wheels - The commercials make the show look absolutely horrible. dat buttrock...
Psych - never watched it.
Dexter - I can't watch a show where the main character is a great actor and everyone else is...not. After the Lithgow season, I completely lost interest.
I've watched three episodes of Copper, and simply don't like the show. Another period piece drama, meh.

I'm not even that excited about Walking Dead. I enjoy the comic, but serializing a horror movie and all it's common tropes gets old for me really fast (If I have to hear that dumbass wonder where Carl is one more time...). I'm still sticking with it to see how the show diverges from the comic, but I'm not terribly excited about it.

/tvsnob

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!

Hell of Wheels season 2.
Psych season 7.
Dexter season 6.
Copper and new pilots.
You mean season 3.
ya dun goofed

Hell of Wheels season 2.
Psych season 7.
Dexter season 6.
Copper and new pilots.
You meant season 7. Can't wait though, should get the show back to its roots.

Anyone here watch Franklin and Bash? I only catch a few episodes every now and then but it seems really good. Haven't heard anyone mention it... ever.

JHall

images

Eastbound and Down is one of the funniest shows on HBO. I suggest you guys check it out.

You might have to be drunk to enjoy it to it's full potential.

Louis Wu

No Prob. Your Welcome.
Here You Go
Audio synch seems off on this one; really disconcerting. :(

(Also, I'm having trouble understanding why nobody but me seems to be bothered by how widely the GI content has been spread - there is usually a waiting period for print-media releases, honored by many (though not all) readers, to allow the magazine to actually be sold on the newsstands; this stuff went live the day the digital copy came out, but nobody's said a word about it. It's even on Joystiq right now. It's a bit weird... first time I've seen this with NO complaints.)

Tawpgun

Page 390.
50ppp wanna fight about it?

When is it an acceptable time to start posting OT9 headers?

Also want to ask, what's gonna be the deal with Halo 4 thread? A Halo 4 thread on gaming side, or just keep everything here?

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Page 390.

Also want to ask, what's gonna be the deal with Halo 4 thread? A Halo 4 thread on gaming side, or just keep everything here?

There will obviously be a Halo 4 OT thread in addition to this one. That one will be more for on topic discussion of the game, this one is obviously more community oriented.

IHaveIce

Banned
Page 390.

I think we should go the normal way. One week ahead of release a OT in the gaming side and one Spoiler thread( it already exists).

After a month put the the OT in Community and this would be the first Halo 4 |OT|.

But I could be totally wrong, I'm still new here.

next OT title should be something with "dropping the flag", need to hold the salt levels high

Top Bottom